New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Are you someone who can look yourself in the face? What do you take pride in?

Either way you are having to spend time doing this crap and so I most definitely owe you. I will probably be posting quite a lot on this site in the future, and if you ever see anything that you are interested in again I will owe you a discount! I am mailing off your Master of the Wild Hunts first thing tomorrow morning, and I will get you a tracking number by tomorrow afternoon. I will also refund you the $3.50 immediately to cover shipping and Paypal fees. Thanks again for being so cool about this whole thing... Guys like you are an asset to this game!
    So long story short concerning the above is that the guy on a magic trading/selling forum I just bought cards from accidentally sent me about $40-$50 worth of cards by accident which were meant for another one of his buyers.

The guy emailed messaged me begging for them back, and even offering to give me a partial refund back on my purchase in the hopes of having them returned.

I had to tell the guy to relax, and that all I wanted was $3.50 (to pay for postage) to personally send it off to the rightful owner next time I made a mail run.

The guy then emailed back saying he would give me a discount next time I purchased from him, which I do not consider fair so I will not ask for it.

There are few things I take pride in, but my respectable nature (honor?), and when people say things like that or that I am "a nice guy" always brings a smile to my face. Also, the fact that while I am not much on looks I can stare at my reflection without needing to turn away.

So, can you? And what/what else do you personally take pride in about yourself/what you do/what you have done/what you have?
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Are you someone who can look yourself in the face? What do you take pride in?

I... I can't answer this in good faith. Everything I can think of I might be proud of is not always the case, I have broken every rule and every law and every single thing that I should be proud of at least once.

The short answer would then be no, I cannot in good faith look myself in the eye. Wonder what that says about me. An optimist would say "you are too hard on yourself, lighten up." A pessimist would say "you don't deserve to own a mirror." Curious, isn't it?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Are you someone who can look yourself in the face? What do you take pride in?

I take pride in the fact that I've just completed my second year of college working towards and mechanical engineering bachelors degree and where my grades are not exceptional, usually Cs and the occasional B, I've still only had to re-take one class and plan to finish after 2 more years.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fire. Sword. Chucks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I approve of that picture. Also, your user name.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

i take pride in knowing I can, will, and have sacrificed my own well-being to help another.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. Despite living with my mom still, I'm also living debt free, I'm halfway done with my Masters, and I have people who care deeply for me and vice versa. I am not perfect, I have not always conducted myself in an appropriate manner, but I do the best I can.

Because of that last part, more than anything else, I can look myself in the eye without shame.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I try to take pride in myself. It never seems to work.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I... *snip* A pessimist would say "you don't deserve to own a mirror." Curious, isn't it?
    Oh my god I love that quote!!!

As for proud erm I try not to voice mean things about people and try to stick up for other's whenever I can .. I guess. Wasn't always like that though.
    *runs off and hides*

My One And Only Trophy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I try to take pride in myself. It never seems to work.
    You're an artisticat! What's there *not* to be proud of?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I... I can't answer this in good faith. Everything I can think of I might be proud of is not always the case, I have broken every rule and every law and every single thing that I should be proud of at least once.

The short answer would then be no, I cannot in good faith look myself in the eye. Wonder what that says about me. An optimist would say "you are too hard on yourself, lighten up." A pessimist would say "you don't deserve to own a mirror." Curious, isn't it?
    Your from Ohio. This is just a matter of course.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Good question - a little pride with your humility is a good thing, I think.

I'm pleased that I continue to exist.
    I'm pleased that I am a moral individual, and that I have the freedom to follow my moral compass.
    I'm pleased that I've been successful enough in my life to give something back, and that I have a job where I can do that every day.

I've done bad things, but I don't do those things now.

I'm not proud of everything that I am and do, but I'm working on chagning those faults - and I'm proud that I'm working on them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I overcome obstacles that come in my way.
    I'm intelligent, and use that intelligence.
    I'm happy and bubbly - although I'm often too quiet for it to show.
    I look forward to the future.
    After complaining so long about my hair, I actually went out of my way to sort it out. And it turned out to have such an easy solution. The effort I put in to make myself happier with myself is something I'm proud of.
    I don't worry about my weight. I'm thinner than a stick, sure. But I'm comfortable with myself and my body as it is.
    I have a certain amount of stubbornness and determination, which works well with my obsessiveness to beat things.
    I don't let my short attention span get the better of me, and I work hard to get greater discipline.
    I started Karate again after dropping it for years. Which I needed, both for the exercise, and the fun.
    I left the drama group I was in, that was giving me more woe and grief than happiness. The fact I had the confidence to do this, after so long of just drudging along (You need it for your CV! Keep doing it for the CV!), is something I'm proud of.
    Confidence overall. I have gained so much and learnt so much over the past few years, and I am all the happier for it.

And the fact that I have most pride in, is the fact that I am me. I am nobody else. I am who I want to be, and nobody can change that.

So yes, I can look myself in the face and say "I'm a good person.". Sure, I have my flaws, things I'm not happy with. But overall, I am happy with who I am.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Can't think of anything.

The closest would probably be "I've never done anything really bad in my life." But then, I generally haven't done much either way.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I have pride in myself yes.

I'm proud of my attempts to do good for others. I donate blood and hair, and I will usually go out of my way to help someone if they need it and I realize (sometimes my head is in the clouds).

I may not be proud of everything (or even most of the things) I've done, but I can proudly say that I am no longer the person that did them.

Go Tigers!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno if it's pride, per se, but I do sometimes look in the mirror and think, "Damn, I'd hit that."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Gah! Loaded Questions!

Let me answer the two parts in the thread title in two parts:

Yes, I can look at myself in the mirror. I do it all the time. It's kind of hard to shave blind. I often find myself trying to stare myself down by glaring at myself in the mirror.
    I'm not really a fan of me.

As for whether or not I take pride in anything...
    I'm not sure I know what Pride feels like. I can't answer that right now. In the moment. thinking back, I realize that I was proud when I was in the Navy, but right now, my current life and lifestyle?
    I'm not sure I have anything to feel proud about. And I certainly couldn't recognize the emotion myself were I feeling it.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I do not really take pride on much of anything - never did anything that's worth real pride. I'm just pretty comfortable with myself, and find myself a pretty swell guy, if a tad annoying at times .

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If I was an optimistic person, I guess I could say that I'm open minded. However, if I was a pessimistic person, I would say I just have very few morals, which is what I'm usually told.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Funny that this should come up, I was just thinking about this.

The only thing I can come up with that I'm proud of is the fact that I continue to give blood, even though it terrifies me and I have a tendency to pass out (I'm terrified that I'll pass out, not passing out because I'm terrified).

And now this topic shames me, because there's a blood drive I'd like to go to this Friday, but I don't think I will, because I have way too much going on to spend two days confined to the house and then spending the rest of the month paranoid. I think I'll wait until after my graduation, when I'll have an entire summer in which to do absolutely nothing.

21. - Top - End - #21

I try not to look at myself in the mirror too often. It's depressing.

I take pride in my sense of duty, both to what I consider to be right and to my friends. I've given up free schooling in order to stay and nurse a dying friend. Though I regret not taking the schooling sometimes... doing the right thing is more important.

22. - Top - End - #22

Not yet, but I'm working on it. Mostly I think I'm the sort of person I want to be, except for some bad behaviour... couple of years ago now that I won't know whether I learned from 'til I'm in a similar situation again. I'm more concerned about accomplishments and personal achievements. Get back to me in a year.

23. - Top - End - #23

I haven't strangled anyone yet. You're welcome.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm proud to wear the queens uniform. As the smallest, least professional (literally, for the past year we had no pay), one of the least significant parts of it, I'm proud to wear it, and I'm proud of passing 2 years of military exams and training, while others I considered better than me dropped out, couldn't hack it.

I'm proud of my friends, and the loyalty we share.

I'm proud of some of my deeds, times when I've:
    1. jumped into break up fights
    2. stopped to help those in need
    3. behaved with decency to people

I'm proud of some of my skills, Bushcraft and craftwork. I'm particularly proud of giving away some of my projects, to see the joy on others faces.

I'm proud of my responsibility in my food. I try not to be smug about it, but I'm glad I take enougn responsibility to 1. kill the stuff myself, where I can 2. ensure it's had a good life if I can't be there for the kill.
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.

25. - Top - End - #25

I'm told a lot that I'm really nice, and especially good at compliments, which in itself is an awesome compliment, so I take pride in that.

I'm also really proud of my level of geekieness/eccentricity, as it has always led me to make really awesome friends.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Your from Ohio. This is just a matter of course.
    God don't remind me.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I can look at myself in the mirror without feeling sorry for myself. I am proud that I do not allow myself to be bent or warped to conform to what society expects. My beliefs and opinions are my own.

Its other people* I have trouble looking in the eye. I just can not agree or understand why they do the things they do.

*Disclaimer: Not all people, just a vast majority of the ones I have met and spent at least a small amount of time trying to understand.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I am proud of being me. I would never ever want to be ANYONE else. Ever. After being me, it would just suck to be someone else.

I tend to hope others feel the same way about themselves as I do about myself.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I can almost always make myself laugh. Heck, even that was enough to do it for me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

When I was young I took pride in my natural superiority over my peers due to being smarter and stronger than they were.

Later, I took pride in the fact that I had a family that actually had love for one another rather than seeming to be entirely apathetic or malevolent towards one another, and that I had such a facility with my studies that my potential seemed to be only limited by what would catch my interest and keep it.

Now, my intelligence is a liability, my family has been plagued with death and has dissolved into instability and neuroses, my potential and skill are thwarted by my lack of ambition and the distaste for the ambitious that was instilled in me from my youth, my romantic aspirations twisted from their prior purity in ways I still don't properly understand... My capacity for compassion and empathy damaged in some way that I still remember what is right and want to act on it because I still deem it to be right, but don't feel anything in my soul.

Being better than the common chaff is more of an albatross around your neck when it doesn't matter morally or socially and you're not phenomenally successful and accruing wealth and power.

My past self is disappointed in what little his death accomplished in bringing about my present self and my present self is endeavouring to ensure that the same does not happen when I die and my future self comes to be.

However, my past self had his share of flaws both of belief/thinking and deed, so I would not wish to fully have his approval.

Still, it irks me that perfection is not possible, of flesh or will, for that was my ambition as a child.

So, I am not especially happy, but I am able to look myself in the mirror when I am not bedridden. Nor am I going to scrub the mission and hope in reincarnation, as, since there is still life in me, there is still hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide