Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Touhou

1. - Top - End - #751
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    That is basically exactly how they are described in CiLR. I'm pretty much completely certain that they are supposed to be arrogant jackasses, rather than as pure as they claim.
    This. A hundred times this. Lunarians are basically Touhou's version of elves.
    -Long-lived? Check.
    -Pretty? Kind of a given in Gensokyo, but Kaguya is noted as extra hot. Check.
    -Advanced society? Allegedly, check.
    -Incredibly smug about all the above? Check.

They even have their very own Slutty Lesbian Elf Princess.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-11-19 at 09:15 AM.
    Agita on the MinMax boards.
    Classy Psion avatar by Prime32.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most Vile loli this side of Mariko, also by Prime32.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    This. A hundred times this. Lunarians are basically Touhou's version of elves.
    -Long-lived? Check.
    -Pretty? Kind of a given in Gensokyo, but Kaguya is noted as extra hot. Check.
    -Advanced society? Allegedly, check.
    -Incredibly smug about all the above? Check.
    As a side-note living on the moon would make people taller and weaker, and slow the visual effects of aging. A medieval person somehow transported to the moon might believe that he had entered a magical realm which granted him superhuman strength.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-11-19 at 09:25 AM.
    Art - Homebrew - Avatar adoptions
    Spirit Artist in the Playground

3. - Top - End - #753
    Banned

I'm pretty sure he would be too busy freezing and asphyxiating to really think about having super-strength. And once you enter the magical realm of the Lunar Capital i think all bets are off regarding the effects of the ordinary physics of the Moon. I mean they have a proper atmosphere and time stops working normally there.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I'm pretty sure he would be too busy freezing and asphyxiating to really think about having super-strength.
    Okay, assuming there's air in a dome or something.

Thought I should post these here. Remember the 4e Touhou Power Cards?
    Spoiler
    Show

[hr]

Last edited by Prime32; 2010-11-20 at 05:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Firbolg in the Playground

What are those? And who's the second one from the top?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Currently playing: Minecraft, Awesomenauts, Stellaris.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

Photobucket bit the dust, so if you're curious what an old link looks like, just send a PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    What are those? And who's the second one from the top?
    I think those they are cards representing the powers in 4e D&D, kind of like spell cards.
    The character on Burning Brand and Fiery Assault is Tenshi, although I cannot explain why the Tenshi on Fiery Assault has red hair.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

7. - Top - End - #757
    Barbarian in the Playground

D&D 3.5 manouver cards for Tome of Battle. Also some Incarnum with Youmu.
    I suppose it's 2P Tenshi or a weird lighting effect. The artist seems taken some liberties with the multicolor sash and general dress design.
    Would be neat to have a full set.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-11-20 at 05:40 PM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

8. - Top - End - #758
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    I think those they are cards representing the powers in 4e D&D, kind of like spell cards.
    The character on Burning Brand and Fiery Assault is Tenshi, although I cannot explain why the Tenshi on Fiery Assault has red hair.
    Yep. Fiery Assault is also Tenshi. Probably using one of her alternate colors in TH 12.3

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    Would be neat to have a full set.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions on images for other maneuvers.

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OChVVFKtlFM
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-11-20 at 06:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Orc in the Playground

I imagine you could make pretty heavy use of Sakuya for the Diamond Mind set.

Yukari would probably work either for Shadow Hand or White Raven (a thrown shikigami counts as "allowing an ally to charge", right?)

Actually, Alice would work really well for White Raven too.

For Devoted Spirit, you could probably use Reimu, Sanae and/or Byakuren pretty easily.
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-11-20 at 06:06 PM.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there maneuvers that do charisma damage? Because if so, Remilia would be interesting because she has taken such damage several times.

Meiling, Suika, or Yuugi would be a good choice for unarmed maneuvers.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    I imagine you could make pretty heavy use of Sakuya for the Diamond Mind set.

Yukari would probably work either for Shadow Hand or White Raven (a thrown shikigami counts as "allowing an ally to charge", right?)

Actually, Alice would work really well for White Raven too.

For Devoted Spirit, you could probably use Reimu, Sanae and/or Byakuren pretty easily.
    If we're getting into that...

Desert Wind: Between flight and fire, this one's a no-brainer. Mokou, maybe Utsuho.

Devoted Spirit: Sanae or Byakuren. Reimu's more... technically religious. Loosely. Given the whole faith basis for it all, she doesn't really fit. Sanae's a good match, though, what with all the smiting.

Diamond Mind: Sakuya, no doubt about it. Cirno's a close second.

Iron Heart: Youmu. If it wasn't for Sakuya, she'd be a decent Diamond Mind candidate too.

Setting Sun: Wow. This is... tricky. I don't know. Satori, maybe? Kinda hard to use any attack that she won't predict, after all.

Shadow Hand: Yukari could fit the bill here, but Nue would do better, I think. Reisen would be a surprisingly good fit too. Or Rumia.

And I guess Kogasa could be Shadow Hand, too. Or just trying and failing.

Stone Dragon: Another one with lots of candidates. Yuugi and Suika are obvious since they're both tough as nails and hit like a freight train. Plus, Suika has a rock-chucking move. For similar reasons, Meiling is another candidate. Alternatively, if you want to focus on the stone connection, there's Suwako, Tenshi or, uh, giant catfish.

Tiger Claw: Another tricky one. The closest thing to "obvious" candidates are Meiling (unarmed), Remilia (just seems fitting, for her somewhat angrier, melee-y moods) and Shou (tiger).

Lastly, White Raven: Byakuren seems like a decent leader sort. Nazrin, too - commander, after all. Sakuya/Remilia are debatable - bossing people around all the time has to count for something. Mind you, by that logic, Kaguya could be on this list too. Kanako seems to be placing a fair bit of emphasis on dealing with people, too, so that's not implausible.

Mind you, they might as well all step aside since Alice fits the role best by far anyway.

...And that's a wrap. Look, I was bored
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Setting Sun: Wow. This is... tricky. I don't know. Satori, maybe? Kinda hard to use any attack that she won't predict, after all.
    Setting Sun is mostly supernatural Judo. I'd say both of the cast's martial artists would work.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-11-21 at 03:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's less about character<->style association and more about finding fitting illustrations for specific manouvers, though. Setting Sun is probably one of the harder ones to cover, since it's rather unlikely to find pics for the throwing manouvers outside the occasional suplex-meme.
    Satori doing the caramelldansen is perfect for the Baffling Defense counter though .
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-11-21 at 04:43 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a fairly casual (and not very good) Touhou fan, and I have a question:

Who's the best character to 1-credit Embodiment of Scarlet Devil? I've been using Marisa-B, but that tends to give me problems against regular enemies. Also, any advice for how to dodge Sakuya/Remilia?
    Last edited by dragonsamurai77; 2010-11-27 at 02:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamurai77 View Post

Who's the best character to 1-credit Embodiment of Scarlet Devil? I've been using Marisa-B, but that tends to give me problems against regular enemies. Also, any advice for how to dodge Sakuya/Remilia?
    As a rule, in almost every game, Reimu tends to be the best character.

As for dodging Sakuya/Remilia, each spellcard has its tricks. Do notice that Misdirection is very easily passed by staying still a lot, IIRC. What cards give you particular trouble?

17. - Top - End - #767
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been using Marisa-B, but that tends to give me problems against regular enemies.
    Take advantage of that speed to camp the hell outta enemy spawns if you ask me.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

I like using Marisa-B too, mainly for Love Sign ~ Master Spark, but I think Reimu-A is good for eliminating minor enemies if you don't want to move much, while Reimu-B is good for taking out enemies quickly, but makes the fourth stage somewhat harder.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Bugbear in the Playground

I prefer MarisaA in EoSD. I typically favor more power over anything else.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

20. - Top - End - #770

I happen to prefer Marisa B for the Master Spark. But Reimu A was really easy in comparison. Admittedly, it's not a fair comparison because I cleared Extra mode with Marisa before using Reimu at all.

Photobucket bit the dust, so if you're curious what an old link looks like, just send a PM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Orc in the Playground

It all depends on your playstyle really. I mainly use Reimu-A (or whatever the Homing shot type is) in every game since I like how the homing shots let you not have to worry about positioning to damage things. I'm just too used to Reimu that I can't really do anything as the other characters.

Like what everyone else has said, the main draw of Marisa-B is probably Master Spark. Not only is it obscenely powerful, it's apparently also a great way to get point items for high scores. Going with its power, you might be able to just bomb spam Sakuya to death to save your lives for Remilia, but that's probably the "less skillful" way of doing it. To me, it seems like there's really nothing else to do to get better other than practicing to spot patterns and safe areas.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-11-27 at 08:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    As a rule, in almost every game, Reimu tends to be the best character.

As for dodging Sakuya/Remilia, each spellcard has its tricks. Do notice that Misdirection is very easily passed by staying still a lot, IIRC. What cards give you particular trouble?
    Misdirection (can't figure out where exactly to stand)
    Luna Clock
    Marionette
    Remilia's last regular attack
    Scarlet Shoot
    Red Magic

Other than that, my main problem seems to be that I'm too conservative against Meiling and Patchouli, and stages 4 and 5.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

I had the start of a collaborative storytelling thing ready, and I was going to post it on BG but the site's down.

So I suppose I'll post it in FFRP. Would anyone be interested?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-12-08 at 01:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #774

What's free form roleplay? Depending on the answer, quite possibly.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    What's free form roleplay? Depending on the answer, quite possibly.
    As I said, this would be collaborative storytelling. Any participant can advance the story - characters aren't assigned to players or anything like that.

Keeping character personalities consistent might be an issue though...
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-12-08 at 01:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Keeping character personalities consistent might be an issue though...
    Considering how maybe 99% of the stuff out there related to Touhou is fanmade, I think alternate characterizations in this series are pretty much a given now. If anything, we could just blame the forbidden template and roll with it.

Most people suspect that one of the reasons ZUN didn't give each character set personalities was to allow for alternate character interpretation anyway. He's pretty accepting of the theories too, or at the very least doesn't mind it.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    Considering how maybe 99% of the stuff out there related to Touhou is fanmade, I think alternate characterizations in this series are pretty much a given now. If anything, we could just blame the forbidden template and roll with it.

Most people suspect that one of the reasons ZUN didn't give each character set personalities was to allow for alternate character interpretation anyway. He's pretty accepting of the theories too, or at the very least doesn't mind it.
    I meant consistency between players. We don't want Shikieiki cheerfully greeting Reimu in one scene, and threatening to send her to Hell for not bowing before her in the next.

I suppose character interpretations could be discussed in the OOC thread...
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-12-08 at 05:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

For the record, I would be quite interested in something like this. Would it be all canon characters, or original characters as well? (And if the latter, what kind of Sue-proofing would be in place?)
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

29. - Top - End - #779
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I meant consistency between players. We don't want Shikieiki cheerfully greeting Reimu in one scene, and threatening to send her to Hell for not bowing before her in the next.
    I don't see why we couldn't. I for one would find it more interesting if something like that was thrown in. Besides, I'm sure someone out there has portrayed Shiki as a respect-abiding maniac...
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-12-08 at 06:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    For the record, I would be quite interested in something like this. Would it be all canon characters, or original characters as well? (And if the latter, what kind of Sue-proofing would be in place?)
    I was going to say no major original characters (ie. no-one particularly powerful or important to the plot), and nothing which requires introducing new locations or aspects to the cosmology.