New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Your first graphic novel?

...and that's not this frankly silly name "trade paperback" that's suddenly being bandied about as an alternative for them. "Graphic novel" at least describes what the object it's attached to is - a coherent narrative with the environment it depicts being communicated through a drawn visual medium. this bizarre and thoroughly nonscensical "trade paperback", though, conjures images more of Joiners' and Carpenters' Gazette than Sandman! :P

Anyway, with that bile ventilated, back onto the topic I raised in the thread title.

We all read and enjoy comics - that is at least the common factor that has caused all of us to become patrons of this website, at any rate - but the way in which we appreciate them differs considerably. Most notably, the format of American and British comics differs considerably, with the former tending to concentrate on lengthy, issue-spanning strips that allow for development on plot whereas the latter consists of brief, episodic bursts that allow the emphasis to be placed on characterisation (or so the theory goes - a lot of them do tend to end up just as 'stories' chopped up into intervals). However, in the graphic novel both disciplines of comic writing converge into a single entity, and they can be seen as indicative of the mature reader who is willing to appreciate both the quantity of a more voluminous tome (consdering taht comics do tend to be emaciated by anyone's standards) and, if it's an especially superior comic, the depth of its protagonists.

A short while ago I was having a rummage through my magazine cupboard, an arduous and inhospitable realm of ancient, dust-smothered relics and full to overflowing with old editions of Sonic the Comic, Sega Magazine, Sega Saturn Magazine and a spoil-heap's worth of detritus that has been shaken off my long and continuing affiliation with Games Workshop. As I did, I discovered nothing less than a little sliver of my own personal history, yellowed with age, sandwiched between old copies of publications dedicated to themes as various as Transformers, Beano-imitators and Captain Bucky O'Hare. It is, I believe, the damaged but legible constituency of the very first graphic novel that ever came into my possession - the collected compendium of the first Armoured Gideon adventure.

Armoured Gideon was a comic series that ran intermittently between 1988 and 1995 in 2000 A.D. - for Americans who don't know of it, 2000 A.D. is one of the most famous (and long-lasting, currently touting almost 1,500 issues or "progs") British comic books, a weekly fest of science fiction that is often considered the "springboard" which promotes British talent into the American market and is most well-known for being the home of Judge Dredd. You can also easily tell that I obtained it quite early on in my life - as the comic was published in black and white, I first thought that it was a colouring book and the first few pages are enunciated with felt-tip pen as a result! :-/ It's also a comic that would have been highly inappropriate for me at such a tender age as six or seven, given that it deals with rather brutal topics such as satanic cults and not an inconsiderable amount of gore and violence... I can only presume that my mother never bothered to open the covers and assumed "robots equals Transformers equals son out of my hair for a few hours".

Armoured Gideon centres around the distinctly paranormal trials and tribulations of Frank Weitz, a Briton and a retired war photogragher who now works as a journalist for the fictional newspaper, Daily Clarion. He suddenly has a taste of his former life when he manages to get his camera in the midst of a kidnapping of a prominent ambassador by the terrorists of the Crimson Jihad - it looks like as if the affair's going to be a textbook emulation of the Iranian Embassy siege...

...until a twenty-foot robot screaming "ANNIHILATE!" smashes its way through the wall, that is. :o

Frank Weitz's history may have accustomed himself to danger, but with this rather unique intervention he's suddenly and unexpectedly drawn into a wholly different league entirely. Events threaten to make him collateral damage in a war that doesn't just span regions or countries but dimensions, and the only thing that Frank can hold onto is his camera and his pictures - and the hope that they'll give him the biggest scoop in the history of the printing press. More pressing, though, is a matter of survival as this strange metal interloper from the ether keeps coming back for Frank, and wil shred, crush, pulp, savage (and, indeed, annihilate!) anything that tries to prevent it from catching him...

Looking back on it now as I peruse the pages with a nostalgic air, Armoured Gideon is something of a mixed bag. The scenario itself is strong - the eponymous robot itself is an immensely impressive creation, its hulking broad-shouldered form is bristling with power, the harsh vertices of its visage conveying a superbly mechanical manifestation of menace - relentless, inexorable, and impossible to fatigue - and, like all good robots, he's nigh-invulnerable and bristles with more accessories than a Swiss Army Knife (there's even a monitor on his chest which displays whatever weapon he's deploying!). The shout of "ANNIHILATE!" is also magnifcent, as vividly idiosyncratic as the "Exterminate! Exterminate!" of the Daleks. Frank Weitz is also a marvellously and believeably human character, namely in that although he's a "cometh the hour, cometh the man" hero, he doesn't do something as trite as "embracing his destiny" and unashamedly retains his mercenary journalistic character (cooing with joy as he imagines how many exclusive contracts he's going to win with his images of a wrecked town, for instance). The art is also worthy of respect, conveying a great amount of detail in every panel, and the dialogue is also decent, touching briefly on some metaphysical meditations and including some absolutely gloriously black-humoured dialogue in places: "Mum used to say that I was clairvoyant, but Dad said that I was Satan's Changeling, 'cos my dreams were like what the ancient carvings said in the Sacristy. That's when Dad started to get a bit weird." :D

There are a fair few negative remarks which tarnish its steel sheen, though. The art can seem rather oddly proportioned in places, with eyes turning from narrow slits to being more bulbuous than a frog's in the space of single panels. There are also a few plot points that are hard to swallow - Naiomi Benson, Weitz's absolute harridan of an editor, still insists on proclaiming Frank's pictures "obvious fakes" even when an entire English village has been stomped into the dirt and the evidence of what did it scattered around a thousand square yards; two characters sitting down for a few pages of exposition over a cup of coffee whilst that same village is thoroughly pulverised just half a mile away; and the shops are apparently still open, even when that village is a bombsite! Despite my praise earlier, it has to be said that Weitz is rather unrealistic in how he seems to cooly accept the fantasy environment he's been flung into as 'Oh, how interesting' as well.

Despite those awkward moments, though, there's a soundly chilling epilogue to the entire adventure, and the volume itself was rounded off with a couple of "Tharg's Future Shocks" - five-page shorts from the pages of 2000 A.D. that are the prodcuts of a very disturbed and demented imagination, including a man escaping his own severance from the mortal coil by buying off Death through selling poisonous junk food that kills thousands, and an actor haunted by the ghost of Rod Serling (the presenter from The Twilight Zone). Altogether, it's an eminently competent package and there are many far worse introductions to the world of comics!

Here are a few images of Armoured Gideon for the curious:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.frazer1/AE1.jpg
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.frazer1/AE2.jpg
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.frazer1/AE3.jpg
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.frazer1/AE4.jpg

And there, my own rambling tale of my first steps into graphic novels, now advanced into reading through the shelves at Borders, comes to a close. What about your own experiences, though? Do you have anything particularly unique about the original components of your collections?

Either way, see you on the Edge... ;)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Your first graphic novel?

I liked Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck comics as a kid. Anyone interested in hearing my ramblings on the subject?

JK that was a great, if somewhat lengthy, review. If I was as into graphic novels as you are, I would definitely go find me a copy.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The first graphic novel proper I ever read was Maus (which BTW is wonderful) but then I got into manga and I couldn't count the ones I've read since... If you're counting assembled strips of syndicated dead-tree comics, my first was probably a Calvin and Hobbes book, though.

4. - Top - End - #4

Well thats all a bit of a blur but it was probably either "Bandit king 1" or Ultimate X-men one and two. Or maybe it was Amazing Spider-man 2. I don't know. :-[ :P

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Cowboy Bebop was my first.

But the one I love most is Get-Backers.

Usagi Yojimbo is pretty good as well.
    \"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don\'t do anything about it.\" -Albert Einstein

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

My first graphic novel was a graphic novelization of Robert Asprin's Another Fine Myth with Phil Folio as the artist (one of my all time favorite artists, by the way).

I suppose it is this book that got me first interested in fantasy/sci fi literature, gaming, and filk. Ahh, the corruption of youth just isn't what it use to be...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

The first one I've read was Maus, and my all-time favourite ever is Sandman.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

My first comic book was the Maxx. You Sandman readers might be familiar with it's author, Sam Keith, as the penciller for the first few issues of Sandman.

You might also remember it's short-lived run as an animated short on MTv.

It's basically about this homeless guy who wears a purple spandex Superhero costume and lives in a box and associates with this traumatized freelance social worker named Julie who is a total Pagliaite. Is that a word?

More recently, I have gone through a comic book revival, reading Promethea by Alan Moore, which is about, I dunno, the nature of magic and other wierd stuff like that.

Also, I have been reading the Invisibles run (I'm on the 7th trade paperback (muwahaha)) by Grant Morrison.

Other old favourites are the Watchmen, also by Alan Moore, which is a deconstruction of the whole idea of superhero comics... but it was one of the first ones, so it's not as trite as that might sound.

Warren Ellis is basically a god of comics, as far as I am concerned, and his books under the title of Planetary are amazing; alternately, they are like X-Files, or if you hated X-Files as much as me, they are like the X-Files if it was good.

You might be familiar with another of his works, Transmetropolitan, featuring everyone's favourite droog and gonzo journalist Spider Jerusalem.

The Earth X/Universe X/Paradise X trilogy is basically the ultimate finisher to the Marvel Universe. If you want to see all your favourite Marvel characters finish out their time, chiggity check it out.

Lastly comes the new stuff: I have not been failed by a single Ultimate line title yet, and the Ultimates itself is a masterpiece of sequential storytelling. It basically asks the question: What would the world REALLY be like if there were a small number of super-powered 'persons of mass destruction' in our REAL WORLD. Not just *A* real world, but it is our world, down to the image of the president. It scores points for the fact that I am not sure what the writer, Mark Millar's, political bias is. Thanks for just sticking to the art, dude!

9. - Top - End - #9

Actually, my first graphic novels would have to be the Elfquest series. Really liked them at the time, though I thought that they should have stopped sooner. I think they ended up just trying to capitalize on a good thing and messed it up at the end.

I don't know if these qualify as graphic novels, but I really enjoyed the Asterix and Obelix comics as well. That's just my sick sense of humor coming through I think.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Death of Capt Marvel. Still one of the better stories put into that format IMO>
    "Time and space exist not. There was no past, and there shall be no future. NOW is all. All things that ever were, are, or ever will be, transpire now. Man is forever at the center of what we call time and space. I have gone into yesterday and tomorrow and both were as real as today." R E Howard

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

My first was a graphic-novelized version of The Hobbit. It was hard to read the original after that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrunner
    My first was a graphic-novelized version of The Hobbit. It was hard to read the original after that.
    I feel the same way about The Picture Bible.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I'd have to say the picture bible was my favorite serialized graphic novel.

My favorite had to be Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, but that was high skool.
    An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dante's Inferno Test has sent you to
    Purgatory!
    Take the test: http://www.4degreez.com/misc/dante-inferno-test.mv