New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

Spike in all ways can fill all the same roles as a sword, it's just a natural weapon.

Useful Enchantments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (+1) Forgetful (DR316 p43): On Crit - Fort DC20 or 1 Hour Memory Loss

(+1) Last Resort (CWar p135): When grappled, you do not have the standard -4 to attack. Gain +1D6 for every size category the grappler is larger than you.

(+1) Magebane (CArc p143) +2 Attack +2d6 to arcane casters/arcane spell like ability users.

(+1) Merciful (DMG p225) +1D6, Converts damage to nonlethal

(+1) Silent Strike (DR330 p67) On hit - DC15 Will Silences 4 rounds, additional hits resets count

(+1) Stealer (DR315 p46) +4 Disarm, Weapon sticks to disarmed object as a free action

(+1) Waterborn (Eb p266) No underwater fighting penalty, if you are on land and they are in water they lose their granted concealment, if you are both underwater you gain +2 to attack and damage rolls

(+2) Domineering (PGF p119) On hit - Will DC16 or Shaken

(+2) Explosive (CWar p134) On hit - Ref 1/2 DC15 5' Splash 2d4, Splash hits self

(+2) Paralyzing (BoED p113) On hit- Will DC17 or Held, new save per round, auto-end 10 rounds

(+2) Phasing (DR330 p67) Can ignore a single object of up to 5’ thick. The ammo ignores Cover, a Shield, or Armor (in that order and only one).

(+3) Clouting (CArc p143) On hit - Fort DC19 or [Trig another FortDC19 or Stun] Knockback 10' (Knocked prone if no space)

(+3) Explosive (Ranged) (CWar p134) Ref1/2 DC15 2d4 5' Splash

(+3) Spireshard (DR315 p46) On hit - Will DC19 or disable spellcasting and spell-like abilities for 1d4 rounds, additional hits do not reset count or stack

(+3) Stalactite (Und p69) On hit - Fort DC19 Turn to Stone

(+3) Superior Dispelling (DR312 p87) - Standard - Caster Level = ECL 5' radius Dispel Magic

(+4) Brilliant Energy (DMG p224) Passes through non-living matter, so Armor and Armor Enhancement AC bonuses don’t count against this weapon. Cannot harm Undead, Constructs, & Objects-- 20' Light radius

(+4) Dancing (DMG p224) Weapon/Feature can be "loosed" and continues to fight in the same square you occupy each round for 4 rounds using it's owners BAB

(+4) Tentacle (Und p69) On crit - Fort DC21 or brain extracted

I think I was playing around with adding a +shield feature but I stopped playing my ozodrin char a long time ago-- might pick an ozodrin up again as I am currently DMing.

I was planning to integrate Ozodrin into my revised homebrew class to make a PrC, so if that happens I'll probably retool a bunch of additional supplement rules for the ozodrin and ortho can choose to link me in as an optional supplement.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Dwarf in the Playground

good thinking, i did not see that, i just might change spikes to bones (for flavor purposes) & add the new features like swords & armor. i was also wondering if the bone weapons would require form points to maintain?

3. - Top - End - #873

I think there's ab. feats in LoM for increasing natural armor, you could always just rule that the natural armor on the villain is able to be suppressed in his worldly guise.

I thought of a new pod feature to add to my draft-- it's a breath weapon that causes an inverse airflow using stormwrack's wind mechanics. Essentially it would grant the ozodrin an AoE pull towards one of it's pods, and likely a mouth.
    It's essentially meant to counter very small individual creatures or swarms and flying creatures who would get "blown away" in the direction of the pod.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    I think there's ab. feats in LoM for increasing natural armor, you could always just rule that the natural armor on the villain is able to be suppressed in his worldly guise.
    That wouldn't be a ruling anyway - the Ozodrin can suppress the effects of aberrant feats as-is.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2012-05-26 at 04:21 AM.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Dwarf in the Playground

sounds similar to vampire hunter D's "partner" the evil thing living in his hand (first movie) where he swallows spider swarms & such. sounds like a good idea i was also thinking of stuff for the ozodrin. really dig the concept though, & i gave my ozodrin bad guy a "living chain" a semi-sentient spiked chain that he hides within his stomach (im still trying to figure out how to work it out, i was thinking if an ozodrin able to form mouths & capture foes with his chain, pulling them inside)

6. - Top - End - #876

sounds like what you're actually going for is a warforged ozodrin, or an ozodrin variant to produce gear rather than bio

hooked coiling tentacle fills the roles you want, other than it's a tentacle and not a chain-- it's actually one of the ozodrin's stronger combos

Here's an idea, GRAFTING.

simply put, have the ozodrin able to graft into itself items and other creatures

The features could come out of the ozodrin while they are in their true form after eating the gear or the features belonging to other monsters-- whether that be changing or creating new features without swapping, or having gear grafted to the true from emerge from the body and become part of the creature's design.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2012-05-26 at 01:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

sounds like what you're actually going for is a warforged ozodrin, or an ozodrin variant to produce gear rather than bio
    Owrtho got your back.

Except, you know, incomplete.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-05-26 at 02:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #878
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Owrtho got your back.

Except, you know, incomplete.
    Sadly. Very, very sadly incomplete.
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

9. - Top - End - #879
    Dwarf in the Playground

grafting is awsome, it seems the more i think about the ozodrin the more possibilities unfold...

im still looking into bones as features or as a variant. as for the living chain thing, i was more thinking of using the ozodrins stomach to contain an enchanted spiked chain, thanks for the coiled tentacle its right up there.

also the bad guy im designing is a half golem & counts as a construct so i am also waiting for the machine to be completed...

10. - Top - End - #880

Quote Originally Posted by zorenathres View Post
    grafting is awsome, it seems the more i think about the ozodrin the more possibilities unfold...

im still looking into bones as features or as a variant. as for the living chain thing, i was more thinking of using the ozodrins stomach to contain an enchanted spiked chain, thanks for the coiled tentacle its right up there.

also the bad guy im designing is a half golem & counts as a construct so i am also waiting for the machine to be completed...
    Surely you mean compleated?

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

Could Conservative Form have something added allowing you to spend some Form Points to apply Unearthly Power and Enchanted Claw to Unarmed Strikes? If I ever get the chance to play, I'd totally want to gestalt Ozodrin with this Monk fix. Note the Jade Dragon Savant Feat
    Last edited by General Patton; 2012-05-26 at 11:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #882

Well, what's the problem with using your natural weapon as an unarmed strike?
    A single feat could fix this?

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

I should likely try to reply to some of this. Lets try this rapid fire like.

Anyway, on the bone thing, much of that can likely be accomplished with just re-flavouring existing features as being made of bone.

On the pod feature thing, I still think you should try making a PRC that grants that.

As for the grafting thing, sounds a bit like Eatman, and also decidedly like the Strange Surgeon prc that Kellus has mentioned is in progress (also slightly like the Machine).

Speaking of the Machine, which is also the next topic, I'll try looking into completing the bits that have been missing. As an example, I'd not realized I hadn't finished the Synthesize Material ability. Speaking of which, if anyone has a suggestion on how to determine the form point cost of materials based on something like price or the like, please let me know what it is. Unfortunately I've noticed many materials have rather peculiar ways to calculate the cost of something made of them. Hmm, perhaps going with something like determine the cost of a set type of weapon made of the material (one for wood, one for metal), then adjust from that. Still that leaves out plenty of other materials that can't be used for weapons...

Also on the machine, what would people think of adding an ability to it reminiscent of Eatman? If you aren't aware what that it is, then I'll summarize the ability as being able to eat a weapon or device, and then create it like a feature (but only one, and you wouldn't gain form points for eating the thing). Would be slightly more complex what with restrictions and details to hopefully prevent broken stuff, but otherwise that would be the gist.
    Huh, that really should all go in the Machine thread, but I'm feeling a bit lazy and the questions came up here anyway.

On the unarmed strike thing, isn't there already an official thing that lets you use natural weapons in place of unarmed attacks with monks. If so you can just use conservative form and add the claw augment, since that would then make your hands (and/or possibly legs) claws, and make them benefit from unearthly power.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Forget grafting other things into itself - Xenoalchemist already does that.

Make it able to graft itself into other things, maintaining the ability to take control of the graft!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    On the unarmed strike thing, isn't there already an official thing that lets you use natural weapons in place of unarmed attacks with monks. If so you can just use conservative form and add the claw augment, since that would then make your hands (and/or possibly legs) claws, and make them benefit from unearthly power.

Owrtho
    Beast Fist feat, Dragon Magazine (I forget which one, I found it on realmshelp a while ago). Only works with claw or slam attack. That reminds me, I have to check through to see if an ozodrin can gain slams, I think they gain pretty much every other type of natural attack.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Beast Fist feat, Dragon Magazine (I forget which one, I found it on realmshelp a while ago). Only works with claw or slam attack. That reminds me, I have to check through to see if an ozodrin can gain slams, I think they gain pretty much every other type of natural attack.
    Fins with the Violent Fin augment give slam attacks.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    I should likely try to reply to some of this. Lets try this rapid fire like.

Anyway, on the bone thing, much of that can likely be accomplished with just re-flavouring existing features as being made of bone.

On the pod feature thing, I still think you should try making a PRC that grants that.

As for the grafting thing, sounds a bit like Eatman, and also decidedly like the Strange Surgeon prc that Kellus has mentioned is in progress (also slightly like the Machine).

Speaking of the Machine, which is also the next topic, I'll try looking into completing the bits that have been missing. As an example, I'd not realized I hadn't finished the Synthesize Material ability. Speaking of which, if anyone has a suggestion on how to determine the form point cost of materials based on something like price or the like, please let me know what it is. Unfortunately I've noticed many materials have rather peculiar ways to calculate the cost of something made of them. Hmm, perhaps going with something like determine the cost of a set type of weapon made of the material (one for wood, one for metal), then adjust from that. Still that leaves out plenty of other materials that can't be used for weapons...

Also on the machine, what would people think of adding an ability to it reminiscent of Eatman? If you aren't aware what that it is, then I'll summarize the ability as being able to eat a weapon or device, and then create it like a feature (but only one, and you wouldn't gain form points for eating the thing). Would be slightly more complex what with restrictions and details to hopefully prevent broken stuff, but otherwise that would be the gist.
    Huh, that really should all go in the Machine thread, but I'm feeling a bit lazy and the questions came up here anyway.

Owrtho
    I would recommend forgetting costs entirelly and going with a system based on the Major Creation spell, depending on what is becoming what.

So, lets see... If the machine were trying to convert Wood or anything above it (using the table in of Fuel and Iron) into a material of these levels, it could be done at a 1:1 ratio. Wood (and above) to Stone: 1:2 ratio. Wood to Iron/Steel/Precious metals/Gems: 1:4 ratio. Wood to rare metals (Mithral, Adamantine, etc): 1:8 ratio. With the 'wasted' form points immediately becoming flawed form points... Lets say of the level immediately under what was being made (so 8 points of wood turn into 1 point of adamantine and 7 points of iron, for instance).

If the base points being used were not wood (or worse) but something better, then the ratio improves (Iron/Steel/precious stuff to rare metals would be 1:2 ratio, for example.

Obviously, converting down shouldn't give extra form points (or maybe as flawed form points), and always be a 1:1 ratio (with 1 flawed form point per point converted, if the maybe is used).
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-05-27 at 03:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Forget grafting other things into itself - Xenoalchemist already does that.

Make it able to graft itself into other things, maintaining the ability to take control of the graft!
    Sower of Strangeness has you covered (you'll need to scroll down the post).

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    I would recommend forgetting costs entirelly and going with a system based on the Major Creation spell, depending on what is becoming what.

So, lets see... If the machine were trying to convert Wood or anything above it (using the table in of Fuel and Iron) into a material of these levels, it could be done at a 1:1 ratio. Wood (and above) to Stone: 1:2 ratio. Wood to Iron/Steel/Precious metals/Gems: 1:4 ratio. Wood to rare metals (Mithral, Adamantine, etc): 1:8 ratio. With the 'wasted' form points immediately becoming flawed form points... Lets say of the level immediately under what was being made (so 8 points of wood turn into 1 point of adamantine and 7 points of iron, for instance).

If the base points being used were not wood (or worse) but something better, then the ratio improves (Iron/Steel/precious stuff to rare metals would be 1:2 ratio, for example.

Obviously, converting down shouldn't give extra form points (or maybe as flawed form points), and always be a 1:1 ratio (with 1 flawed form point per point converted, if the maybe is used).
    Huh, that seems like it might work with a little alteration. That said, I do plan for there to always be a net loss on cost (so converting down or to the same wouldn't be free, but it would be a lesser cost than otherwise). Might seem better than the initial idea that the type of points being used don't matter for the resulting material. Perhaps something like a chart ranking equivalent point costs of each category, and you need to have the total point value of what you are converting be something like 1.5 times the equivalent value of purely the material you would be gaining (rounded up). Then add in some categories for rare vegetative matter, leathers/bones, and magic materials (perhaps rare of a given category counts as two categories higher, while magic is 3, and by magic I mean materials with special abilities like Pandemonic Silver).

Then just add a rule to prevent gaining more form points than you spent (possibly something like can't gain more than 75% of the total number of form points spent rounded down).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

19. - Top - End - #889

So, I think I finally have a version of devour that covers what you want to do – have the Ozodrins use their mouths to chew people up and consume them:

Devour(Ex): Ozodrins of second level or higher are capable of consuming pinned opponents. Bite attacks made against an opponent the Ozodrin has pinned do not take the usual -4 penalty to attack rolls and the Ozodrin may make as many bite attacks as they would normally be able to (normally you cannot attack a pinned opponent with your own weapon, nor can you usually attack a grappled opponent with multiple light weapons). Each successful bite attack against a pinned opponent deals 1 point of con damage in addition to its normal damage. For each point of con damage dealt this way, the Ozodrin heals 2 points of damage. The Ozodrin may cough up any magical or inorganic items possessed by one or more completely eaten opponents (opponents that were killed by bite attacks effected by this ability) as a standard action as long as they do so within ten minutes of eating the opponent(s). Pieces of inorganic opponents such as iron golems cannot be coughed up this way and unusually potent items, such as artifacts, can be coughed up even after 10 minutes have passed. The Ozodrin cannot choose which items they cough up in this fashion - all items that could be coughed up are.

Razor Teeth: Additional cost 6
    Required level 4: This mouth deals an additional point of con damage against pinned opponents.

Jaws that Bite (Ex): If a creature attempts to use a Swallow Whole special attack against a 5th level or higher ozodrin manifesting it's true nature that has at least one mouth, the ozodrin may choose to make a grapple attempt in response. If successful, the ozodrin avoids being swallowed and instead pins the opponent . The ozodrin may choose to use their own Swallow Whole special attack if they have one. This grapple check does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

There. It deals damage based on mouth size, you still eat people, the mechanics are simple, etc, etc. Also, it doesn’t use the grapple use Could we change this now?

Also, I think Strange Movement should require line of sight. More on that later.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2012-05-27 at 06:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    So, I think I finally have a version of devour that covers what you want to do – have the Ozodrins use their mouths to chew people up and consume them:

Also, I think Strange Movement should require line of sight. More on that later.
    Huh, some of the changes such as how the multiple mouths work are quite nice. Only real change I can see doing is make it only deal normal damage if the target is immune to con damage, and then making razor tooth deal an extra point or two of damage in that situation (slightly more complex, but not overly much). The way the item destruction works is also likely better for a simple version.

I'll try to update the post with the adjusted version in the next day or so, the delay mainly due to some other minor things I'm working on and needing to figure out how the changes will work with the post being near the character limit.

As for the strange movement, I've considered adding such a requirement to it, then altering the travelling tentacle to remove the requirement, but only along the length of said tentacle. Would certainly be likely to help with some of the issues that strange movement can cause.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

21. - Top - End - #891

Data Conservation:
    The main problem with 3.5 in general is it's pathetic filing system, in fact 4.0's character generator pre-subscription was the best thing to happen to character design since online sheets like mythweavers, and perhaps it even surpasses that in it's effect. CrystalKeep (since taken down) was also a glorious (albeit illegal) achievement that brought forth the easy access of vast amounts of obscure and wonderful ideas. (For those of you who didn't get to see it, it provided free PDF's with things like every feat in DnD in one, and every race in another, ect.)

My question:
    Ortho, do you intent to make the Ozodrin's material, and it's expansions/ACF's easy to access? If so are you waiting until a certain point to be able to compile these, perhaps in a new thread?

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

I have considered compiling the ozodrin and the various feats, ACFs, and PRCs into a single thread (mind PRCs not by me would just get links), though have been putting it off for the time being. For one thing there are a few PRCs for it I want to complete/make still before doing so, as well as a handful of other issues that I'd like to take care of first.

In other news, it seems that the forums had issues and failed to properly make note of my most recent post in the Machine thread. Also, for those who haven't noticed, I've got an initial version of Synthesize Material up there now. Discuss it there if you have anything to say.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

23. - Top - End - #893

Understood, I suppose I shall put off contributing ideas until that point just to see how it all fits together in a big picture in a balance perspective.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Understood, I suppose I shall put off contributing ideas until that point just to see how it all fits together in a big picture in a balance perspective.
    By all means keep giving ideas. They can help inspire various ideas, prcs, feats, etc. As for the likely eventual more organized reposting of the ozodrin, everything already posted can be found in this thread, the menacing manor thread, or in a link on the menacing manor thread.
    If you're curious the key things I plan to get done, those would be the Machine, and a prc that advances strange movement to manipulate its surroundings. To a lesser degree I also plan to eventually get an ozodrin/bard PRC done.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

25. - Top - End - #895

Understood, I have a busy life and run a campaign so I just CBA to reference and remember elements that take more time than I have, so while I may be able to produce ideas, I will not be able to spend the time it currently takes to consider implementation.

The machine variant does sound nice, and I may use it once it's done.

---------

Nature:

The ozodrin, to me, is a bio-horror capable of evolution in the true sense of the word-- rapid change/adaptation.

As such, it's brilliantly defined all of the natural weapons of creatures and defined them into categories, including all the means of biological transportation.

The problem is, once that's done it's very limited in how it goes from there-- the class unfolds into very specific categories of powers rather than a general archetype, as such it misses a large amount of special features of life forms that exist in the real world.

Because of the nature of the ozodrin, their balance works fairly like a divine spellcaster, and their augments and features are like spells, they choose from a vast list as they want-- they are just much more adaptive with it.
    It's possible that the function of improving the features and augment versatility may need to be tweaked in relation to the ozodrin's ease of change-- it might require that you can only use 1-5 set forms and each day re-configure them to achieve a good balance, at least balanced with something like a divine spellcaster, but a better balance example could probably be made (I encourage it.)

--------

Some brainstormed ideas:

Spoiler
    Show
    Puppeteer Ozodrin

A puppeteer is a psionic monster (aprox: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Puppeteer ), it's a fine creature which takes control of a host.

The premise is a smaller than usual ozodrin, this could mean a halfling ozodrin or it could mean a larvae ozodrin, either way it makes for some interesting usages of the features and augments granted. Some though put into the implementation of how this could be used from the inside of a dominated host is quite wonderful, and quite horrifying.

Undying Generations

Simply put, this is a way for the ozodrin to clone herself. Upon death the soul and memories, and in fact the character, is transferred into the host of an unborn spawn. The ozodrin can die after this and the player simply takes control over the spawn rather than the old character, this can tie into the above puppeteer ozodrin, or it could be more of an Alien stomachpopping experience where the ozodrin simply digests the creature it's inside, not that it couldn't be worked for a small or tiny ozodrin to do this to a helpless victim anyway. Perhaps a spike could be augmented to do this, via Slaad ability.
    The player need to transfer their character to the new host, it could just be infected with the spawn parasite regardless.

Mind Altering

The ozodrin is horror themed, which makes up a lot of it's flavor, but most of the horror about it is external or rather it's based on how it actually functions and the lack of understanding people have towards it which makes it scary, I propose that we go one, two, or fourty steps farther into the deep end by making it's abilities directly effect the mind of it's foes.

Drawing off of real life, there's a wide variety of ways to do this, combined with fantasy the list improves dramatically.

Chemical effects in DnD are classified as poisons, diseases, drugs and alchemy. Poisons and diseases are Inhaled, Ingested, Contact and Injury, so that's a good starting point for anything that's used by the ozodrin as a chemical.

Inhaled can be done in multiple ways, it can be passive (such as stench), it can be an exhalation or a breath weapon. Alternatively it can be an Ex area effect if needed such as a trap can produce.

Contact can also be applied as a gas for the above options, but it also can be applied in liquid or solid form, or it can be a combination of any of those 3 such as a powder can be both a gas and a solid, or when the powder contacts liquid it can transfer states and become all 3, or a gas can be a concentrated vapor which solidifies.

Injury can also be used as a breath weapon as long as the breath weapon does damage as well, likely acid, piercing or slashing, but most likely it would be added to an augment of a feature that already does piercing or slashing damage.

Also, these mind effecting abilities may not be purely negative, nor do they have to be invasive, things like Moon Ivy armor produce passive gas chemicals which enhance the wearers abilities and effect on others.

Drugs may naturally be produced by the ozodrin, poisons and diseases too, the drugs may have mixed effects.

It's possible that the ozodrin can simply create alchemical compounds in their body, they already can create effects such as magical exploding spikes (such as with a +1 Exploding enchantment) so it's reasonable to assume that they could create more mundane effects as well.

To get down to it, the ozodrin by all means should be able to create mind altering states within those around it, if horror is your flavor then why not the Scarecrow Toxin (Batman) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarec..._and_abilities

If utility, or oddness is your flavor, why not pheromones which can calm or enchant those around you? This is a good way to create a false sense of security, it also has synergy considering the ozodrin is a Cha heavy class, besides, love is the drug that I'm thinking of.

I look at it this way, by using FP to BE the drug, you are essentially being more of a bard for mechanical purposes, the difference is that bards work on a moral bonus principle and only have a positive effect, this is traded for their limited uses of Bardic Music, drugs on the other hand are alchemical and are have inherent downsides to their use, or have a crash afterwords or an addictive quality. Being addictive... interesting.

This also has medical purposes, anesthetic, curative or other such abilities could be added in.

---------

Edit-

Ortho, would you be interested in compiling an archetype list for the ozodrin?

Archetype listing is done commonly (though fairly obscure in a lot of cases) in PF, 3.5 and 4.0, it's done to monsters and classes alike.

Simply put, its a list of stories or media that the archetype represents, and I really think the Ozodrin could benefit with some flavor media, especially for a lot of the players who may not have a lot if any horror media research, and perhaps are even young and the only things they are exposed to are contemporary pop media.

Question is, what are the 5 biggest contributors to the Ozodrin?

I'd highly consider:
    -The Thing (1982)
    -Dead Space 1&2 (PC)
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2012-05-31 at 03:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ogre in the Playground

As an alternative to Naught Morality, which is a free ticket to be inconsistent, I'd like to see options to instead be at one extreme of alignment with bizarre quirks or outright psychosis that could resemble the opposite alignment. The only example I can think of is being Good but taking mercy and redemption too far. A personality like Nurgle's from Warhammer 40K, where you are compassionate to the point of being obsessed with sharing your gift to everyone you can (though in this case it's Good you are sharing and not horrid mutation, barring the odd Sower of Strangeness). The result is an Exalted Good character who practically has a fetish for taking bad guys or even neutrals prisoner within his/her/its flesh and mind-raping them into goodness. Can anyone think of similar oddities for other alignments?

Edit: Naught Morality could be expanded into a progression of Class Features as you level. This would add more roleplay opportunities as you gradually transcend mortal comprehension instead of hitting a threshold and suddenly jumping off the alignment scale. First, a bonus to Will Saves to resist alignment change because you've got some motivations that no one can understand or manipulate. Then my proposal from above, where you hit such an extreme/eldritch version of your current alignment that you go weird, gaining some ability or situational bonus that scales with level. The current version of Naught Morality would be the True Neutral bonus. Next, a 1/day alignment change + Atonement without XP costs because you can see where/how any given alignment could be skewed into another by those incomprehensible motives, giving you a mental backdoor to whatever you feel like being. This ability later becomes At-Will. Now you're immune to alignment change, but it's more interesting than that because you could roll with it for a while and then just change your mind when it suits you, and you've got motivation to adopt different alignments in different situations for the corresponding bonuses, which I think does a better job of making you seem like an incomprehensible super-being.

True Neutral
    Naught Morality: The ozodrin's mind has distanced itself from moral and ethical extremes as they are perceived within the Multiverse. The ozodrin effectively has no alignment. Spells or effects that detect alignment have no effect. It is always treated as having the most favorable alignment for the purposes of alignment-based effects (i.e., being treated as lawful for dictum, as good for a magic circle against evil, etc.).

Lawful Good
    Consuming Redemption: The ozodrin has become so fixated on acts of benevolence to enforce order within the world that they can experience no pleasure greater than that of redeeming others to serve the same cause and see nothing else as being of equal importance. The ozodrin may lie, cheat, deceive and abduct others against their will for purposes of converting them or someone else to a Good or Lawful alignment without violating their own alignment. The ozodrin gains access to the following Augment
    Mind Tentacle: Additional Cost 10
    Can only be applied to Tentacle Features within a Stomach. As a standard action, once per day per creature, creatures grappled by this tentacle may be forced to make a Will Save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha Mod). A failed saving throw causes the creature to have its alignment permanently adjusted one step closer to Good, or one step closer to Lawful if already Good, and the ozodrin gains temporary hp equal to the creature's Hit Dice that last for 24 hours. Creatures subjected to this effect feel indebted to the ozodrin and will not intentionally reveal the ozodrin's actions to others if they believe the ozodrin would suffer repercussions for it. Regardless of the outcome of the saving throw, the creature's need for food and water is sated for one day, and they are automatically stabilized, allowing them to be kept indefinitely, or for this ability to be used to benefit those who don't need conversion.

Now you've got perfectly decent neutral commoners being abducted for days on end and coming out of it much nicer/law-abiding but unwilling to talk about what happened.
    And you may get into a situation where you drag party members into you and violate their personal space/mind to save their life.
    Last edited by General Patton; 2012-05-31 at 05:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to see the Mind Tentacle just standard. Though maybe not a one a day thing...

As a full round action, a creature grappled by this tentacle may be forced to make a Will Save (DC 5 + 1/2 class level + Cha Mod). A failed saving throw causes the creature to have its alignment permanently adjusted one step in the direction of the Ozodrin's choosing, and the ozodrin gains temporary hp equal to the creature's Hit Dice that last for 24 hours. Creatures subjected to this effect feel indebted to the ozodrin and will not intentionally reveal the ozodrin's actions to others if they believe the ozodrin would suffer repercussions for it.
    This form lets it apply to more than just Lawful Good types and is much more rapid, which lets you eat them and then spit them out suddenly on your team.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Its been over a year since I first poked my head into this thread. hard to believe its still going :P

Ive got a lot of catching up to do. Sad to say I still havent found anyone brave enough to playtest this class, and I've been too busy to do it myself :(

Someday...
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #899

Yaknow, the necromorphs are making me think we need a necrozodrin, and have it a monster race instead of a class, perhaps in a few flavors. Would be nice.

The more that I think about it, the more I notice that the ozodrin does need a shield, not specifically a pod, but some sort of armored plate. I think I remember someone bringing it up and it really should be included-- though I'd put some consideration on how or how it should stack with skin augments that improve armor, if not, then it should probably only add armor against critical confirms.

A fast moving ozodrin with a long body appearance, with a head plate like a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachycephalosaurus is quite a startling concept, having an ozodrin charge into you with a headbutt, combined with the Brass Man's flatten (super obscure monster, with Flatten(Ex): DC17FORT or knockdown hit) or similar ability would knock them down, wind them and then have the ozodrin right on top of them, perhaps even an overrun. Pretty terrifying.

Seems that for a lot of these ideas that come out of this train of thought, it can be solved by:

New Spike Augment:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spike Plate: Additional Cost 1
    This spike now deals bludgeoning and/or piercing damage types.

Armored Plate Additional Cost 1
    Requires Spike Plate: You may receive a shield bonus from a spike plate, this augment stacks.
    For every application of Armored Plate you have, you may increase the shield bonus on a spiked plate by +1, to a maximum of +1 for a small spike, +2 for a medium spike, +3 for a large spike (ect), to a maximum of one size larger than your character.
    For every +1 shield bonus you also gain +1 bludgeoning damage to the spike.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2012-06-01 at 10:57 AM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought of a new Feat in the vein of Otherworldly Skill. Inspired for use with Jiriku's Daring Outlaw Base Class

Twisted Fate [Aberrant, Luck]
    Your amazingly good luck is a manifestation of your reality-warping, cosmic potential.
    Prerequisite: Character level 3rd, Aberrant Blood, any luck feat or the Lucky class feature
    Benefit: All luck feats that you possess count as aberrant feats for all purposes. You may select a bonus luck feat whenever you would normally be able to select a bonus aberrant feat and vice-versa. Furthermore, when expending luck rerolls or a use of the Lucky class feature to reroll skill checks, ignore all penalties for possessing aberrant feats.