New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

That likely would be a much better way to word it (though ozodrin shouldn't capitalized).

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-10-05 at 12:15 AM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Well, it seems like a possibility, but does seem somewhat counter toward the idea of what the ozodrin does (then again one could argue it fits it). I'd note though that using your features, you already can gain a handful of those on your features.

I'll think about it though.

Owrtho
    A weapon feature could also be taken with a feat, albeit one with harsh prerequisites, so only the ones interested in a different kind of Ozodrin build could take it. Maybe it should require Otherwordly Skill.
    Last edited by Markus Darkmind; 2010-10-05 at 04:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, we want a specific set of abilities that allow something that doesn't exactly mesh with the base class? Why don't you just create a Mercer-type prestige class? I don't want to overload the base class with more features at this point, and forming weapons isn't much of an epic-level power.

I've been thinking about the Epic Ozodrin, trying to figure out what else the class would actually find useful at epic levels. I have some ideas, but I am still working on them.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

That is a good point Magikeeper. Also, somewhat of a side note, I decided to add two new feats expanding the usability of the budding tentacle augment, somewhat to parallel the feats expanding the blunt tentacle (both allow you to place features in squares other than your own, but are rather different in how they do so).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    So, we want a specific set of abilities that allow something that doesn't exactly mesh with the base class? Why don't you just create a Mercer-type prestige class? I don't want to overload the base class with more features at this point, and forming weapons isn't much of an epic-level power.

I've been thinking about the Epic Ozodrin, trying to figure out what else the class would actually find useful at epic levels. I have some ideas, but I am still working on them.
    Mh, I can see your point. Then I'd like to ask Orwtho, to make an Ozodrin prestige class, which class feature would you suggest to advance? Only the form points, or also augments and/or features? What about the horror ability?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, one thought I've had is for a 1 to 3 level set of PRCs that would each advance a single feature. Something like lv 1 would give an extra large pool of form points, but you could only use them for that feature type, and level 2 or 3 would grant a special augment only able to be gained via the class. Not quite sure how well it would work out though.

As for a PRC that forms weapons, I'd suggest a reduced advancing of form points, adding in the new feature, and possibly giving delayed advancement of features/augments (such as having every 2 levels count as a single ozodrin level for what features/augments you can use). Wouldn't count toward gaining the horror ability, given that is one of the main incentives to go pure ozodrin (aside from all the other awesome stuff you can gain).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

7. - Top - End - #307

Well, one thought I've had is for a 1 to 3 level set of PRCs that would each advance a single feature. Something like lv 1 would give an extra large pool of form points, but you could only use them for that feature type, and level 2 or 3 would grant a special augment only able to be gained via the class. Not quite sure how well it would work out though.

As for a PRC that forms weapons, I'd suggest a reduced advancing of form points, adding in the new feature, and possibly giving delayed advancement of features/augments (such as having every 2 levels count as a single ozodrin level for what features/augments you can use). Wouldn't count toward gaining the horror ability, given that is one of the main incentives to go pure ozodrin (aside from all the other awesome stuff you can gain).

Owrtho
    Mh. I disagree with reducing the advance of form point, if you obtain new features you're really going to need them... it's not like wizards obtain less spells when they advance caster level through prestige classes (with some classes it happens, but this weapon ability doesn't strike me as something that much powerful to be handled in the same way). I could be wrong of course... I suppose it would be easier after seeing it done.

On the rest, I agree, seems ok. It would be interesting to see those prestige class, altough I'm very eager to know if you have any ideas for epic abilities!

Also, while playing with Pathfinder rules, would you suggest changing anything apart from the skills?
    Last edited by Markus Darkmind; 2010-10-06 at 01:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought I'd post this here until I get more work done on the class itself...

Basically, I'm trying to make a class that's a merge of Xenothurgy and the Oozdrin. With like, custom features. These are the two features I have so far. Still need to work on the last one...

What all do you think? The wording isn't great I know, any help with that would be wonderful xD

Spoiler
    Show

Benefits: As a standard action you may make a single melee touch attack per round, dealing 1d6 damage. You may add this Feature to any other Feature that allows you to make a melee attack, such as a Mouth or Tentacle. If you do so you may attempt to use it along with your normal melee touch attack. Or you may simply add the damage to a normal melee attack. Finally, all those effected by this ability show up as a beacon to your sight, letting you automatically pass any spots checks to find them so long as they are within 60 feet. This effect lasts for 24 hours.
    Augments:

Tainted Object: Additional cost 2[/SIZE]
    You are now capable of infusing objects with Cosmic Protoplasm without harming them. When you touch an object you may infuse it with Cosmic Protoplasm, allowing you to instantly detect the location of the object so long as it is within 60 feet. This effect lasts for 24 hours. For every two points you invest into this skill the range you detect it increases by ten. If you invest ten points into this skill you may Scry on the object as per the spell, with a caster level equal to your character level.

Aphrodisiac of Insanity: Additional cost 4
    You use the Cosmic Protoplasm as you would a poison, sending people to new heights of madness. You may create a poison which, when ingested, makes it so that the target takes a -1 penalty against all Breaches. This poison may not be bottled or contained and loses its effectiveness after 24 hours. When used with food or drink it makes the substance taste almost impossibly good. For every four points you invest into this feature the penalty increases by 1.

Sanguine Infusion: Additional cost 8
    You infuse the very blood that flows through your veins with Cosmic Protoplasm. By mixing the essence of life with the raw stuff of the Far-Realms you create a toxic and fiery concoction, which both burns and dissolves at the same time. Anytime you are struck by an adjacent foe they must roll a relex save (DC=10+HD) or take 1d6 fire damage and 1d6 acid damage. Multiple attacks in one round result in multiple saves. For every eight points you invest into this feature the size of the die increases.

Spoiler
    Show

Impossible Shape: Cost - 6
    Appearance: Parts of your body appear different to all who see it. Some may see it as a bright light that shines only when looking at. Others may see it has a hole in reality itself. Others still may see it as a mass of unblinking eyes.
    Benefits:
    You gain light fortification. All those targeting you suffer from a 5% miss chance. Furthermore, when you move you are capable of ignoring five feet worth of obstacles, such as walls, difficult terrain, or even AoO’s. For every six extra form points you invest into this feature the miss chance increases by 5% and you are capable of ignoring five more feet worth of obstacles. For every twelve points you invest your light fortification is increased by a single level (From light, to medium, to heavy).
    Augments:

Body of Infinite Paths: Additional cost 2
    Your body becomes a gateway that others may use. A single target may enter your square and teleport to any other empty square within 20 feet. This number of targets who can enter your square per round increases by one for every two form points put into this feature. The distance you may teleport increases by 10 for every four points put into this feature.

Denial of Imperfection: Additional cost 4
    Once per round, if you are affected by an ability damage effect, as an immediate action you may rebound the effect back upon the caster. The DC to resist the effect does not change. You may also use a single Touch Range Breach on them, which automatically hit. Doing this automatically raises the level of all your Murmurs by one. For every four feature points you invest into this feature the amount of times you may use it per round increases by one. For every four points you invest into this feature the number of Murmurs raised is decreased by one.

Left Behind: Additional cost 12
    You may spend a Full Round action creating a reality warping beacon. As a free action you may instantly teleport back to this beacon, even if it is on another plane. The beacon itself looks like a fleshy rock with your name on it, transcribed in a silvery substance. It has Hit-Points equal to your class level + 10 and a hardiness of 20.
    Last edited by Matar; 2010-10-06 at 06:03 PM.
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it does seem rather interesting. Some of the scaling facets of them might work better as augments.
    Can't say too much about balance, given I don't know what the rest of the class looks like.
    Xenothurgy and ozodrin do seem to suit each other though. It could almost be looked at as xenothurgy releasing the far realms energy to alter your surroundings, while an ozodrin holds it in to alter itself.

Also, a basic version of the possible feature specializing PRCs:

Requirements
    Class Features:
    Feature (______)

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Form Points, Specialized Form Points, Intuitive Form

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Advanced Augment, Progress Features

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Progress Features, Mastered Shape[/table]

Form Points (Ex): You gain a number of form points equal to twice your class level.

Specialized Form Points (Ex): You gain a number of form points equal to twice your class level that may only be used for ______ features and their augments.

Intuitive Form (Ex): Level 1 counts as two ozodrin class levels for determining what augments you can use with the ______ feature.

Advanced Augment (Ex): You gain the __ augment for the ______ feature. See below (none made up yet).

Progress Features (Ex): Levels 2 and 3 count as ozodrin levels for what features and augments you have access to.

Mastered Shape (Ex): You have mastered the basic form of the ______ feature. The cost of the ______ features is reduced by 1 to a minimum of 1.

Mind the wording would be better, and some tweaking might be needed, but that's the basics of what it would do.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it seems like a possibility, but does seem somewhat counter toward the idea of what the ozodrin does (then again one could argue it fits it). I'd note though that using your features, you already can gain a handful of those on your features.

I'll think about it though.

Owrtho
    My idea was to simply build a feature to help with some of the weaknesses I saw with the way the class fights including:

1.Regeneration
    2.Incorporealibility
    3.DR (substance)
    4.Sticky Hold
    5.Ranged Fighting
    6.Lack of Coup de grace
    7.Abilities similar to Burn

And I got a bit carried away when I added weapon enchantment outside of fixing those issues.

And I thought that it would be a little better to give them more options while grappling,since this class appears to be good at it e.x. a light weapon and armor spikes can be used while grappling, and a whip or spiked chain can be used for distance grappling without the penalty for long arm/long tentacle.

And these are the reasons I came up with this feature.

11. - Top - End - #311

Form Points (Ex): You gain a number of form points equal to twice your class level.

Specialized Form Points (Ex): You gain a number of form points equal to twice your class level that may only be used for ______ features and their augments.
    So, with this you obtain form points in the manner explained rather than the normal one? Or the ability gives you new form points just on that level?

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Darkmind View Post
    So, with this you obtain form points in the manner explained rather than the normal one? Or the ability gives you new form points just on that level?
    In place of normal form point progression. Given that normal form point progression doesn't carry over into PRCs. The lack of the Cha mod added on is because if it was, then that would end up stacking with the Cha mod added to from points from being an ozodrin.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #313

In place of normal form point progression. Given that normal form point progression doesn't carry over into PRCs. The lack of the Cha mod added on is because if it was, then that would end up stacking with the Cha mod added to from points from being an ozodrin.

Owrtho
    So you take two times class levels instead of three for those free levels, am I right? For a total of six?
    Last edited by Markus Darkmind; 2010-10-07 at 12:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. You end up with 2/3s as many form points as if you'd taken all ozodrin class levels. However, you also gain 2 times class level form points that are only usable with the feature the PRC is for. If you factor those in you end up with 4/3s the number of form points you'd have gained if you went strait ozodrin.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

15. - Top - End - #315

I see. Seems reasonable. I just had some issue understanding it, do to my not-so-perfect knowledge of english language Thanks

16. - Top - End - #316
    Banned

Just to let you know, I'm hoping to use this in a campaign I'm in now.

My only criticism is that some of the class features have poor wording/spelling and one in particular was EXTREMELY hard to understand....

I believe it was the enhancement bonus. You should write it as if you were writing for a player new to the game.

But other than that the flavour that this class makes possible in a character is insane.

Here, Jared Archibald

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

I realize that some abilities have poor wording (I've been fairly careful on spelling, but I suppose I may have missed some). I do plan to try cleaning it up though. Due to which there may be some minor changes to the class in the near future, but they will for the most part just be clearing up wording and the like.

I'm glad you like the class though. I happen to find your character quite interesting. I would be interested in hearing how it goes if you are able to use the character.

Also, come to think of it, I seem to have forgotten to add the scent augments I'd been planning to previously.
    Also along similar lines, I've been considering a pair of feats that would allow for interesting things with the ozodrin. One would let you exchange your normal limbs for a single form point each when manifesting your true nature (so you could give up arm and or legs for form points), while the other would make it so your head is no longer necessary to survive, and let you regrow severed limbs by eating them while manifesting your true nature (if you have both your head would count as a limb for parts you can remove). Any thoughts on said feats and the plans for a scent augment?

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

18. - Top - End - #318
    Banned

I realize that some abilities have poor wording (I've been fairly careful on spelling, but I suppose I may have missed some). I do plan to try cleaning it up though. Due to which there may be some minor changes to the class in the near future, but they will for the most part just be clearing up wording and the like.

I'm glad you like the class though. I happen to find your character quite interesting. I would be interested in hearing how it goes if you are able to use the character.

Also, come to think of it, I seem to have forgotten to add the scent augments I'd been planning to previously.
    Also along similar lines, I've been considering a pair of feats that would allow for interesting things with the ozodrin. One would let you exchange your normal limbs for a single form point each when manifesting your true nature (so you could give up arm and or legs for form points), while the other would make it so your head is no longer necessary to survive, and let you regrow severed limbs by eating them while manifesting your true nature (if you have both your head would count as a limb for parts you can remove). Any thoughts on said feats and the plans for a scent augment?

Owrtho
    Scent augment.... Kinda meh unless you've got other nose/scent augments to add. (Eyes have about 7 augments, as do limbs, tentacles etc). So come up with a few that are "smell" related and yes.

As for the opportunity of sacrificing limbs for points? God yes. That sounds awesome.

Same with the regrowing parts. It makes sense because if you can grow limbs randomly, why wouldn't you be able to replace one?

I'm glad you liked the sound of the character. In game he's not going to have a clue what he is and he's prone to bouts of blank spots in which his true nature manifests, turning him into a grappling killing machine.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the scent would just be a few augments on an existing feature (much like hearing is to eyes). Likely mouths or tentacles. Not quite sure what all that would entail though (never really seen much done with smell in D&D).

As for preliminary versions of the feats:

Conservative Form (Aberrant)
    When you manifest your true nature, you are capable of removing limbs you possess normally in order to form more features.
    Prerequisite: Aberration Blood, Form Points, Feature (Limb)
    Benefit: Each limb you choose to remove grants an additional form point. Removed limbs are gone and as such can't be used to hold things or perform other functions. If it provides a form of movement, removing all limbs that provide such movement causes you to lose that move speed.
    Special: If you also have the Decentralized Body aberrant feat, you head counts as a limb you are able to remove for this feat.

Decentralized Body (Aberrant)
    You no longer suffer from having vital portions of your body that can't be replaced.
    Prerequisite: Aberration Blood, Form Points, Feature (Mouth)
    Benefit: Your head is no longer required to live. As such you are able to survive decapitation. In addition, if you lose a limb, you may regrow it by eating the severed limb and changing between manifesting your true nature and repressing your true nature, or by healing to full hp and doing so.
    Special: If you also have the Conservative Form aberrant feat, you head counts as a limb you are able to remove for a form point.

The wording likely needs some work, and there should likely be penalties to movement for giving up legs (since I don't think there are rules in raw for losing limbs). Still it gives a basic idea of what I'm thinking.

Also, from the fluff in your character sheet (and the picture), it seems to take place in a 1800s type setting rather than traditional fantasy?

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

20. - Top - End - #320
    Banned

Well, the scent would just be a few augments on an existing feature (much like hearing is to eyes). Likely mouths or tentacles. Not quite sure what all that would entail though (never really seen much done with smell in D&D).
    Go with tongue. Snakes use tongue for smell. Makes more sense.

Conservative Form (Aberrant)
    When you manifest your true nature, you are capable of removing limbs you possess normally in order to form more features.
    Prerequisite: Aberration Blood, Form Points, Feature (Limb)
    Benefit: Each limb you choose to remove grants an additional form point. Removed limbs are gone and as such can't be used to hold things or perform other functions. If it provides a form of movement, removing all limbs that provide such movement causes you to lose that move speed.
    Special: If you also have the Decentralized Body aberrant feat, you head counts as a limb you are able to remove for this feat.

I didn't like this as much as I thought I would, realising that for an entire feat I only get 4 form points.

Decentralized Body (Aberrant)
    You no longer suffer from having vital portions of your body that can't be replaced.
    Prerequisite: Aberration Blood, Form Points, Feature (Mouth)
    Benefit: Your head is no longer required to live. As such you are able to survive decapitation. In addition, if you lose a limb, you may regrow it by eating the severed limb and changing between manifesting your true nature and repressing your true nature, or by healing to full hp and doing so.
    Special: If you also have the Conservative Form aberrant feat, you head counts as a limb you are able to remove for a form point.
    I loved this though. Eating the limb to grow it back...Fits the premise of the devour Class Feature.

Also, from the fluff in your character sheet (and the picture), it seems to take place in a 1800s type setting rather than traditional fantasy?
    Nope. Still fantasy. Manors and sewers exist in the setting we're in at the moment. The suit is just a suit....it's probably my characters picture that gave you that impression. But the picture for me is just a reference of how suave and sophisticated jared is more so than a definite rule.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zenanarchist View Post
    Go with tongue. Snakes use tongue for smell. Makes more sense.
    Likely would be a mouth augment chain if I do that (at least 2, though I don't know what they would do).

I didn't like this as much as I thought I would, realising that for an entire feat I only get 4 form points.
    Well, it would be 5 total for most races if you also took the other feat. However, some races have more limbs than others, and as such would benefit more. That said, the amount of points per limb could scale with aberrant feats or charisma most likely. Though it would likely need to be a somewhat low ratio.

I loved this though. Eating the limb to grow it back...Fits the premise of the devour Class Feature.
    I has similar thoughts about it.

Nope. Still fantasy. Manors and sewers exist in the setting we're in at the moment. The suit is just a suit....it's probably my characters picture that gave you that impression. But the picture for me is just a reference of how suave and sophisticated jared is more so than a definite rule.
    It likely was the picture, though the back story could fit both setting types.

And on an unrelated note. It has been mentioned that the con damage for devour should scale differently (such as 1 point of damage per 4 class levels). I figured I would see what the popular opinion on that would be.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

Likely would be a mouth augment chain if I do that (at least 2, though I don't know what they would do).
    Stat it up then!

Well, it would be 5 total for most races if you also took the other feat. However, some races have more limbs than others, and as such would benefit more. That said, the amount of points per limb could scale with aberrant feats or charisma most likely. Though it would likely need to be a somewhat low ratio.
    Actually...fair point. Especially if you took a centipede like race.

And on an unrelated note. It has been mentioned that the con damage for devour should scale differently (such as 1 point of damage per 4 class levels). I figured I would see what the popular opinion on that would be.

Owrtho
    No. Or...If you do, make it 1 point of damage per 5 class levels. (three with a mouth category twice as large as the enemy).

Consider a character with 12 Con. 4 Con a round, you've devoured it in 4 rounds. Actually, wait....that seems okay. Especially considering they also have the option of Swallow whole. Hm.... Yeah make it every 4 class levels!

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Stat it up then!
    As mentioned, I'm not sure what benefits scent would grant. Though I'll try looking it up within the next week.

No. Or...If you do, make it 1 point of damage per 5 class levels. (three with a mouth category twice as large as the enemy).

Consider a character with 12 Con. 4 Con a round, you've devoured it in 4 rounds. Actually, wait....that seems okay. Especially considering they also have the option of Swallow whole. Hm.... Yeah make it every 4 class levels!
    That would actually take 3 rounds at 4 damage a round, but the increased damage for a large enough mouth makes sense. 4 damage though would require level 16 at 1 damage per 4 levels.

Owrtho.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

24. - Top - End - #324
    Banned

As mentioned, I'm not sure what benefits scent would grant. Though I'll try looking it up within the next week.

That would actually take 3 rounds at 4 damage a round, but the increased damage for a large enough mouth makes sense. 4 damage though would require level 16 at 1 damage per 4 levels.

Owrtho.
    Granted. But it should take a while. If you don't want it to you can just swallow whole. This ability IS healing you an amount x your charisma modifier. If you finished it off quickly it would insta-heal! (never good) You'd just go around eating rats to heal yourself.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could put a hard limit on the bonus, depending on aberrant feats/charisma instead. That way two legged races can get a decent bonus without a centipede race opening the door to cheese. Say, 8 for each limb to a maximum of (Charisma Modifier + # of aberrant feats * 2)? Just off the top of my head.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

26. - Top - End - #326

About the devour abilty, I agree on it dealing 1 p.t/4 class levels, because not everyone plays games that optimize strenght and for them it would be kinda weak compared with swallow whole. However, this takes away the possibility for the character to costumize the ability. You could consider a feat that allows to increase the damage.

I agree that the scent ability should be applied to a tongue.

The new feats look great. The first one is maybe a bit weak, seeing how you usually require 4 points to make a limb and with yours you only get 1 in return... After all, you also took a feat to do this.

Mh. Ozodrin without limbs, and absent wings... and budding tentacles with special eyes... and a BIG mouth and a BIG eye... Could pass for a beholder...

27. - Top - End - #327

That reminds me, what happens to you're normal limbs and eyes when you transform and can you do anything with them?

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

They remain and can function normally, but you can't specially modify them.

Also, if people have suggestions for the scent abilities, it would be appreciated (as in actual mechanics).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

29. - Top - End - #329

NecromancerGuy

Actually, I had something in mind for that sort of thing, but it would be a bear to pull off.

Divide up which Features and Augments are available to an ozodrin by level instead of stricly by feature. This would give you a little more freedom to create things, as you could throw in abilities that arent connected to each other. Things like natural armor, incorporeality, etc that dont really belong to any particular existing Feature could be thrown in as independent Features at certain levels. It would save on things like using an eye augment to grant tremorsense (I just found that odd). Also, it would make their Features and Augments list look more like a spell list, or, more precisely, the manuever lists for Book of Nine Swords when typed out. Like I said though, It would be a bear...
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Matar; 2010-10-09 at 07:04 PM.
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground