New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

Attack restriction: "Sub" should be "Sum".

Say, this class has a lot of abilities based around grappling, but never* grants the ability to ignore AoOs when making the grapple which is pretty much essential. Perhaps that could be added to Manifest Form? Actually granting improved grapple isn't needed, although eventually gaining improved grab might be fun.
    *Okay, if they try to eat you first Jaws that Bite ignore AoOs.

On another note, have you thought of something to do with wings and the like? I still like my idea, although on the other hand the aberrant blood feats do cover advanced movement.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2010-07-17 at 11:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Fixed the typo.

I'll think about adding the ability to not provoke attacks of opportunity when grappling, though I'm not sure how or where would be best.

Still not sure about the alternate movement forms,and as you said, the aberrant feats tend to cover them.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-07-18 at 12:39 AM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Fixed the typo.

I'll think about adding the ability to not provoke attacks of opportunity when grappling, though I'm not sure how or where would be best.

Still not sure about the alternate movement forms,and as you said, the aberrant feats tend to cover them.

Owrtho
    Okay, in order:

*points to 3.5 Players Handbook* Improved Grapple as a bonus feat?

Maybe bonus abberant feats? Add a modification to the Limb feature that permits burrowing?

And on another note, I wouldn't mind seeing more abberant feats, if anyone (not strictly Owrtho) has any ideas.
    Last edited by InfiniteNothing; 2010-07-18 at 01:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteNothing View Post
    And on another note, I wouldn't mind seeing more abberant feats, if anyone (not strictly Owrtho) has any ideas.
    A quick forum search gave me this.

5. - Top - End - #95

In order to use devour you need to grapple. If your opponent can hit you, the grapple automatically fails. 1-2 levels of trying to devour with that restriction would be more than enough. Therefore, I suggest they gain the ability at level 3, level 4 at the latest. Level 3 is when they get tentacles, so it would make sense for them to get it then. But at level 4 they get strange anatomy, so it could make sense there too.

A different issue: In order to retrieve items, you need to have features in your stomach. But you can’t add features to your stomach until you get swallow whole at level 9. Which means a level 8 or lower Ozodrin can’t retrieve the loot. So at levels 3-8 your party threatens to shank you if you eat opponents with gear?
    Really, why can’t you just vomit them up? Having a tentacle horror eat a guy and them vomit out his digested remains isn’t monstrous enough? There is no mechanical need for a penalty, and I don’t see why the flavor wouldn’t work with something more group-friendly.

Still not sure about the alternate movement forms, and as you said, the aberrant feats tend to cover them.
    Hmmm…. What are you not sure about? I can’t really help since I’m not sure what the problem is. Power concerns? Flavor Concerns?

-------------------
    I think it is time to put the features in a spoiler block. It would make the class easier to read.
    Btw – do you have any ideas for levels 9,12, and 14? Trying to make a 16th level npc. :P

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Personally I like the class formatting as it is. I see no need for spoiler blocks. But some spaces between the features would make them easier to read.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    In order to use devour you need to grapple. If your opponent can hit you, the grapple automatically fails. 1-2 levels of trying to devour with that restriction would be more than enough. Therefore, I suggest they gain the ability at level 3, level 4 at the latest. Level 3 is when they get tentacles, so it would make sense for them to get it then. But at level 4 they get strange anatomy, so it could make sense there too.
    I'll see about adding it somewhere in there.

A different issue: In order to retrieve items, you need to have features in your stomach. But you can’t add features to your stomach until you get swallow whole at level 9. Which means a level 8 or lower Ozodrin can’t retrieve the loot. So at levels 3-8 your party threatens to shank you if you eat opponents with gear?
    Really, why can’t you just vomit them up? Having a tentacle horror eat a guy and them vomit out his digested remains isn’t monstrous enough? There is no mechanical need for a penalty, and I don’t see why the flavor wouldn’t work with something more group-friendly.
    Good point on the inability to get stuff out. Swallow whole is at level 8, actually, but I'd initially planned it to be around level 4 (forgot I'd changed it). I'll likely make note that they can place features inside at level 3 in devour and refer to the swallow whole description.

Hmmm…. What are you not sure about? I can’t really help since I’m not sure what the problem is. Power concerns? Flavor Concerns?
    Mainly a flavour concern. While the class is designed for aberrations in general, it is modelled after a specific character who lacks wings and such (I find it somewhat funny no one has figured out who it is given there being what I think is a fairly good hint in the first post, even if it is particularly obscure).

I think it is time to put the features in a spoiler block. It would make the class easier to read.
    Btw – do you have any ideas for levels 9,12, and 14? Trying to make a 16th level npc. :P
    I'll add the spoiler. There are no plans for a level 9 ability (I plan to leave that empty, though you gain the claws that catch augment for limbs there). 14 will likely be empty as well due to it being when you get the ability damage special eye augments. 12 and 16 I'm not sure about yet. I'm not actually that sure the later levels need to be full, due to the gaining of feature points allowing you to make new bodies as well as gaining new augments (perhaps I'll see about coming up with some later level augments for the early features). Suggestions are welcome as well.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #98

Advanced Movement: It certaintly led to an awesome base class. But in that respect you don’t have to use every feature you have available. Other people playing the class might have different ideas in mind that do involve wings or fins. This class is wonderfully versatile and it lets you use your imagination – I think that’s awesome. I’m working on an Ozodrin assassin for one game and what is basically a sportscaster for another. Very different feature choices.

A general ability brainstorm (Not suggesting you use all/most of them):
    > The ability to move features from one part of yourself to another part of yourself as a swift action.
    > The ability for all of your attacks to count as magic weapons for the purposes of bypassing DR.
    > The ability for all of your attacks to count as your alignment for the purposes of bypassing DR.
    > Bonus “Monstrous” feats (A number of them exist, like gaze attack feats and tentacle stuff)
    > Bonus Aberrant feats
    > Improved Grab
    > A feature that effects your skin (Natural armor, grease it up, color change, Spell Resistance, etc. I think I have an idea for one.)
    > The ability to trade normal feats for aberrant feats.
    > The ability to swap aberrant feats for other aberrant feats.

The capstone ability should prepare the class for epic. Not sure how to go about that.

------------------

I’ve made some edits to my original advance form suggestion (not many though, mostly mystic Unearthly Fin, lower skill bonuses, separating skill boost from unearthly, and digging fin was pushed back). I think it works pretty nicely now:
    Spoiler
    Show

Basic Fins – Cost 2
    Appearance: You have a large fin somewhere on your body.
    Required Level: 9
    Benefits: You gain a +1 circumstance modifier on swim checks for each fin. If you have two or more fins you also gain a swim speed of 10ft. This speed increases by 10ft for each additional pair of fins. The fin counts as one size category smaller than yourself.
    Special: An ozodrin with this ability can take feats that require a swim, burrow, or fly speed of any maneuverability as though they possessed such a speed. If you have the aberrant feat waterspawn you may use this ability but not its augments before level 9. The swim speed stacks with any swim speed you already have.
    Augments:
    Violent fin: Additional cost 1: You can make a slam attack with your fin as a secondary natural weapon (a medium fin deals 1d6 damage + one half strength modifier, use the standard table for adjusting damage die to calculate other sizes). A digging fin is instead treated as a secondary claw attack (same damage).
    Wide Fin: Additional cost 2
    Your fin is effectively a size category larger. This reduces the granted circumstance modifier by 1 but increases your swim speed by 10ft (if you have one). You may add this multiple times to the same fin. The effects stack, and you may gain a negative modifier.
    Skillful Fin: Additional cost 3
    The skill bonus granted by your fin increases by 2. You may apply this ability to the same fin a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier.
    Wing: Additional cost 3
    Your fin is instead a wing, granting a bonus to jump checks instead of swim checks and a flight speed instead of a swim speed (Clumsy maneuverability).
    Special: Your fly speed stacks with any flight speed you already posses. Use the worst maneuverability of the two unless the other fly speed is granted by the aberrant feat Starspawn (in which case you use the better of the two).
    Digging Fin: Additional cost 4
    Required Level 12: Your fin gains claws suitable for shoveling soil and dirt, granting you a bonus on climb checks instead of swim checks and a burrow speed instead of a swim speed. The granted burrow speed is one half what the granted swim speed would be (I.E. 5ft per two digging fins).
    Special: The burrow speed stacks with any burrow speed you already posses.
    Unearthly Fin: Additional cost 1:
    Required Level 12: Your flight maneuverability improves by one category for every two wings with this ability. Up to 5ft of your burrowing speed per two unearthly digging fins can be applied to any material with hardness of 10 or less.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Advanced Movement: It certaintly led to an awesome base class. But in that respect you don’t have to use every feature you have available. Other people playing the class might have different ideas in mind that do involve wings or fins. This class is wonderfully versatile and it lets you use your imagination – I think that’s awesome. I’m working on an Ozodrin assassin for one game and what is basically a sportscaster for another. Very different feature choices.
    How troublesome. You make quite the strong argument. I suppose I should add the fin. Oddly enough, I was actually thinking I'd just make the wing an augmented fin before I looked at your suggested fin feature.

Some thoughts on it though:
    Why would the larger fin reduce the swimming bonus granted by it? That doesn't quite seem to make sense.
    It also seems that if you have the starspawn feat, you should be able to use fins with the wing augment ahead of time (but no other augment and not without the wing augment unless you also have the waterspawn feat). Would also make those two feats act like the deepspawn in letting you take ff the parts they grant for extra feature points (but you wouldn't have their benefits while you did so).
    Also would add some of the following augments:
    Razor Fin, cost 6: This fin is razor sharp. When moving through an occupied square, or making a flyby or charge attack you may automatically attempt an attack with this fin (provided it is on the part of you passing through the square). A medium razor fin deals 1d4 slashing damage (use standard size table, secondary natural attack, etc.). If the fin has the violent fin augment, attacking with it counts as slashing damage. A razor fin may only attack the same creature once each round.
    Absent Fin, Cost 2: Requires level 16. You do not actually have a fin. Despite this you are able to move as if you did. A fin with this augment may not be used to attack. While moving with it, you inspire fear in creatures watching your unnatural movement. If all fins being used for a movement type have this augment, it has the following effect based on the movement type: flying you don't disturb the air and are treated as being on the ground for heavy wind such as that caused by the gust spell; swimming, you do not disturb the water as you move, something; burrowing, you do not disturb the earth and leave no hole as you pass through.

May come up with more later.

A general ability brainstorm (Not suggesting you use all/most of them):
    > The ability to move features from one part of yourself to another part of yourself as a swift action.
    > The ability for all of your attacks to count as magic weapons for the purposes of bypassing DR.
    > The ability for all of your attacks to count as your alignment for the purposes of bypassing DR.
    > Bonus “Monstrous” feats (A number of them exist, like gaze attack feats and tentacle stuff)
    > Bonus Aberrant feats
    > Improved Grab
    > A feature that effects your skin (Natural armor, grease it up, color change, Spell Resistance, etc. I think I have an idea for one.)
    > The ability to trade normal feats for aberrant feats.
    > The ability to swap aberrant feats for other aberrant feats.
    In order:
    >That might make a good late level ability.
    >would make more sense as an augment.
    >same as above.
    >Not sure if it needs bonus feats with all the features it gets.
    >Same as above.
    >I think I'll give them improved grapple at level 3, and improved grab at level 11 or 12.
    >I've been considering a feature that lets you change your body build. Not quite sure where it would go though. It also seems like there would be little to do with it. (well I could let them reduce their size, increase it (neither affecting the base size of other features), have DR, have SR, suggestions welcome). How about this. If you can recommend a good level, and get it up to 10 things it could do I'll consider it worth making a feature.
    >Doesn't make too much sense with how feats and such work.
    >Same as above. Particularly given how some aberrant feats grant different amounts of form points.

The capstone ability should prepare the class for epic. Not sure how to go about that.
    I should really consider a capstone for this. Maybe: You become a great old one. Good job. or not. Could give ability to control gravity (choose the direction it comes from near you, turn it on or off, double or halve it), but while that fits the whole, far realm monster thing, isn't exactly in keeping with the class. Then again, could just give them something like 100 bonus form points and say figure out what to do with them yourself...

Edit: Also, on a side note, how do you think it would be if I changed the special eyes to be that they are all active, but you can only have any given person affected by the current number that can be active each round (chosen before they roll for saves)?

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-07-19 at 12:27 AM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Three comments at this time:

1. This class really does need full BAB Owrtho. I understand why you used the BAB of the Aberration racial class, but for a class so focused on grapple actions, anything less than full BAB is mildly irritating at best and crippling at worst.

2. If you do give the class Improved Grab, be sure to clarify that it is based on the size of the natural weapon as opposed to the user. Also, you may want to think about allowing it to be used on foes at the mouth's size rather than one lower.

3. I really do like the feel of this class and the mechanics behind. To those that are worried about losing loot due to the recently discussed chance of item digestion, remember that the grapple rules allow you to remove unsecured items without a check and held/worn items with another grapple check that doesn't break the grapple if failed. Or, in a scenario where this isn't viable, remember the importance of hyphens. Disarming someone is different from Dis-arming them, if only slightly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the line between genius and madness is so thin...

Then why do so few in this day and age toe said line?

Thanks to Bongos for the v-13 avvie!

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

11. - Top - End - #101

I've been considering a feature that lets you change your body build. Not quite sure where it would go though. It also seems like there would be little to do with it. (well I could let them reduce their size, increase it (neither affecting the base size of other features), have DR, have SR, suggestions welcome). How about this. If you can recommend a good level, and get it up to 10 things it could do I'll consider it worth making a feature.
    Alright!
    Warp skin: Note that Limb+Claw+Claws that catch is actually a higher grapple bonus if you intend to spend a ton of points.

SKIN:
    Spoiler
    Show

Basic Skin – Cost 2
    Appearance: You form a thin membrane around your body, with invisible patches over your eyes and slits over any openings (such as a mouth).
    Required Level: 12
    Benefits: The membrane is unusually slick and malleable, granting you a +1 bonus to escape artist checks. The slits can be opened or closed as a free action. You can form multiple skins around yourself with every 2 skins granting a +1 bonus to natural armor that stacks with any preexisting natural armor.
    Augments:

Iron Skin: Additional cost 2:
    Your skin is rough instead of slick, granting DR 1/adamantine instead of a bonus to escape artist checks. This benefit stacks with other Iron Skins.

Nourishing Skin: Additional cost 2
    Your skin allows you to breathe a gas or liquid of your choice. This allows you to survive in materials that are usually poisonous, but it does not allow you to ignore other effects (the heat of lava, exploding methane, etc).
    Special: Using a Nourishing skin for 1 hour counts as both eating a pound of food and drinking a gallon of water for the purposes of avoiding starvation and dehydration.

Energy Consuming Skin: Additional cost 3
    Your skin grants resistance 5 to the elemental energy type of your choice (Fire, Cold, Acid, Electricity, or Sonic). Multiple Energy Consuming skins stack.
    Special: Every 50 points of energy damage negated counts as both eating a pound of food and drinking a gallon of water for the purposes of avoiding starvation and dehydration. A fire consuming skin renders you immune to heat-based environmental effects that deal nonlethal damage, and a cold consuming skin renders you immune to cold-based environmental effects that deal nonlethal damage.

Magic Eating Skin: Additional cost 3
    Required Level 13: Your skin can absorb magic itself. The Ozodrin gains Spell resistance 10, or increases their current spell resistance by three.
    Special: If a spell fails to overcome the spell resistance of an Ozodrin with this feature, the Ozodrin gains 5 x spell level temporary hit points. These temporary hit points do not stack with themselves. Eating 3 levels worth of spells counts as eating a pound of food and drinking a gallon of water for the purposes of avoiding starvation and dehydration.

Skin that Pretends: Additional Cost 5
    Required Level 14: Your skin changes color and stiffness in order to mimic the effects of the disguise self spell. Unlike the spell you cannot appear to be something smaller than you are, the Skin that Pretends counts as a mundane disguise once formed (it is not defeated by true seeing), and you can fake a body type other than your own by accepting a -20 penalty to the disguise check [extra bits are non-functional unless you use other features to mimic them]. Alternately, you can create a skin that blends into your surroundings like a chameleon. This use of the skin grants you a racial bonus to hide checks equal to your class level. You can choose for only part of your body to be hidden. This skin does not effect objects you are holding such as a sword, although it can cover stationary objects on your person such as clothing or jewelry.
    Special: You may only have one Skin that Pretends active at a time. You can switch between multiple Skins the Pretend as a swift action. Other abilities possessed by the skins are not effected.

Warp Skin: Additional cost 8
    Required Level 15: This skin forms a dimensional pocket, allowing its size to be unrelated to your own. A layer of this skin either increases or decreases your size category by one. Your ability scores and the size of other features are not modified, but all other modifiers apply. This benefit stacks with other Warp Skins, up to a maximum size of colossal and a minimum size of tiny.
    Special: An Ozodrin with at least one layer of this skin is immune to atmospheric pressure effects. You may choose to create a version of this skin that does not change your size category.

Secreting skin: Additional cost 2
    Required Level 16: You skin secretes a deadly liquid that dissolves, ignites, or freezes your foes. Each layer of this skin adds 1 point of acid, fire, or cold damage to all of your natural attacks (choose one when forming the skin). This damage is also dealt to any creature that comes into contact with your skin, either by grappling or by using a natural weapon. This damage does not effect nonliving material, but it does effect undead. You can add this augment to the same skin multiple times, and multiple Secreting skins stack with each other.

Healing Skin: Additional cost 8
    Required Level 17: This skin uses your nourishment to repair the flesh beneath. You heal 10 hit points per pound of food consumed, up to a maximum of 10 hit points healed per round. Living creatures that you devour count towards this ability. If the weight of an enemy is unknown, assume that a medium bipedal creature contains 100lbs of meat and use carrying capacity modifiers to determine the weight of larger or smaller creatures. Multiple healing skins do not stack with each other, except that the maximum number of hit points healed per round is equal to 5 x the number of healing skins the Ozodrin has formed (You do not gain additional hit points per pound of food consumed).

Reality Warping Skin: Additional cost 10
    Required Level 18: This skin slightly alters reality around itself, creating 1 inch emanation around yourself. This emanation allows you to selectively ignore the alignment and magic traits of various planes, but only within one inch of your body. For example, a special eye used in a dead magic zone would fail to function as normal unless the target was within 1 inch of it. This ability also applies to antimagic and energy transformation fields regardless of source. Creatures inside your stomach also receive this benefit. This augment does not stack with other reality warping skins.
    Special: This skin allows you to survive in non-Euclidean realities.

The skin augments help you survive in other planes, resist normal ways of killing stuff, and allow you to look like whatever you want. Classic eldritch horror stuff, really.

The wording of Skin that Pretends is probably a bit off - I wanted to be able to look like an eldritch horror in addition to other uses of the ability.

------------------

Edit: Special Eyes: I suppose that would work, yes.

Edit 2: Fixed some wording errors. StP no longer effects other features. Also, I like the idea of the capstone just giving you more points. How about it doubled the number of form points gained from all sources?
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2010-07-19 at 03:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, with a few changes the skin feature seems like it would work, though I may change the name. Also it would need to be applied separately to budding bodies and blunt tentacles (and as a result puppets). Also a single one would be able to have multiple augments.

Any thoughts on my planned additions to the fins?

And as a side note, the Limb+Claw+Claws that catch is supposed to be cheaper if applied multiple times, but if just going for mass number of features, the tentacles are cheaper for grapple bonus.
    Also, I'm likely won't add the improved grab ability. Mainly as I'd forgotten I already had a tentacle augment that does about the same thing if that tentacle attacks (at a penalty true, but that isn't too hard to overcome due to how much a ozodrin can stack its grapple bonus).

I'll likely try getting the fins and skins (as well as other changes) added to the first post some time between now and next weekend. As it is though I have a final essay that may consume much of my time (hence why it might take so long). All depends on how much I procrastinate on it.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question: Are the Lure Trap augments meant to make it cheaper? The way it is currently written, it looks like its cheaper to make a Disturbing Release x20 + Lunging Trigger x20 + Rapid Release x20 Lure Trap compared with a Lure Trap without any of those.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

That was a typo. I'd used the formatting from the Puppet, and forgot that the first augment reduced the price. Thus I forgot to remove the minus and it got copied onto all the other augments. Fixed it now.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

15. - Top - End - #105

First of all, this is an awesome class. I'd like to play one as soon as I get a chance.

One question, is Long Tentacle really supposed to be so expensive? It costs 6 form points, it makes more sense for it to be 3, like Long Limb.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a good point. That was mainly due to a minor change in power level I think between when I typed the two up.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-07-19 at 08:54 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #107

Cool. I have another suggestion, what about some kind of charisma enhancement for puppets, like strong puppet for charisma? It seems pretty integral to the whole "puppet" idea, like a charming lure puppet.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

A good point. I might also put in some augments to make it better at luring creatures to it (such as a compulsion affect for things to want to approach and/or protect it if they see it). Might actually allow some fun traps in which you stage something being 'attacked' in which both parties are actually your puppets, but one is just a monster while the other is a trap waiting to get the other's. I could even see a situation of a ozodrin replacing members of a group each night with its puppets while keeping the others unaware.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh man this is great I would have never thought of a cosmic horror class. The closest I've gotten is morphing horror (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...51#post8958251) but that was natural ability to shapeshift ones own body whereas this is pretty much cthulu + alucard made into a class, this is a must-have for any horror campaign. I would like to see skins and fins as well, so the extra limbs do they look like arms, or more like a tentacle with a hand? Or could it be either?
    Pm me about your Homebrews I'll take a look!

My Homebrews

20. - Top - End - #110

A good point. I might also put in some augments to make it better at luring creatures to it (such as a compulsion affect for things to want to approach and/or protect it if they see it). Might actually allow some fun traps in which you stage something being 'attacked' in which both parties are actually your puppets, but one is just a monster while the other is a trap waiting to get the other's. I could even see a situation of a ozodrin replacing members of a group each night with its puppets while keeping the others unaware.

Owrtho
    That would be pretty darn cool. You should totally do that. You could add some kind of hiding ability too, because otherwise the ozodrin has to be good at lurking in some dark corner while it acts up its puppet show. Maybe a hide in plain sight of some sort that doesn't apply to puppets and is deactivated when a lure trap goes off?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

In order. Limbs would in general, have distinct joints and some kind of hand. The number of joints is up to the player. Tentacles would be completely flexible. Actual look is mainly up to the player though (or DM if they're the one making it).
    References:
    Spoiler
    Show

As for Magicyop. I'll think about doing that. Perhaps the ability to leave puppets outside while hiding in their dimensional pocket. Also, I could just see a valiant hero saving his beloved from the dungeon, only to find out as she splits open to reveal a mouth and tentacles that pull him in and eat him that she had been a puppet of the ozodrin BBEG all along (ever since he saved her from that 'attacking monster').

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

In order. Limbs would in general, have distinct joints and some kind of hand. The number of joints is up to the player. Tentacles would be completely flexible. Actual look is mainly up to the player though (or DM if they're the one making it).
    References:
    Spoiler
    Show

As for Magicyop. I'll think about doing that. Perhaps the ability to leave puppets outside while hiding in their dimensional pocket. Also, I could just see a valiant hero saving his beloved from the dungeon, only to find out as she splits open to reveal a mouth and tentacles that pull him in and eat him that she had been a puppet of the ozodrin BBEG all along (ever since he saved her from that 'attacking monster').

Owrtho
    Great pics man! also that clears it up for me. About the puppet thing, having a bard with a suggestion spell could help, if the ozodrin was in a party.

My Homebrews

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My God, Owrtho, where do you keep finding these pictures? Can you get me a link?

I definately like Magikeeper's skin augment, as well as the idea of hiding in your stomach dimension while leaving a puppet outside. Still, if you do plan to use that idea you might want to specify that time spent in the stomach while controlling the puppet doesn't count towards the Strange Movement limit.
    Last edited by InfiniteNothing; 2010-07-20 at 12:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

The skin augments are great definitely worth adding, assuming you like them.

My Homebrews

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

If you haven't figured it out, the pictures are of the character that inspired the class. Their name is Ozoi and they are from what seems to be a Japanese webcomic thing called Nijiura Maids (I think, somewhat hard to find information on it in English. Comes from the Futaba Channel imageboard). As for pictures, they can be found on gelbooru (NSFW) by searching Ozoi. I also put most of the safe for work ones up in my photobucket (mainly as gelbooru seems unable to show images here and I was sick of looking for other places hosting them).

I actually thought someone might figure out who it was sooner just due to the fact the picture I used on the first page has her name directly under the class name. I thought someone would catch that and try looking it up.

Also, I plan to add the skin augments (along with the fins) later this week or over the weekend.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-07-20 at 12:51 AM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you haven't figured it out, the pictures are of the character that inspired the class. Their name is Ozoi and they are from what seems to be a Japanese webcomic thing called Nijiura Maids (I think, somewhat hard to find information on it in English. Comes from the Futaba Channel imageboard). As for pictures, they can be found on gelbooru (NSFW) by searching Ozoi. I also put most of the safe for work ones up in my photobucket (mainly as gelbooru seems unable to show images here and I was sick of looking for other places hosting them).

Also, I plan to add the skin augments (along with the fins) later this week or over the weekend.

Owrtho
    I found the character by searching ozoi but couldn't get any info.

My Homebrews

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Yah, it's hard to find info on her (the other maids too but her and some of the more horror inclined ones particularly. Seems they were introduced after most of the stuff describing the characters was put into English). Lots of nice pics though. I did read something though that mentioned there being a maid born from nightmares (or some such), which is presumed to be her.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yah, it's hard to find info on her (the other maids too but her and some of the more horror inclined ones particularly. Seems they were introduced after most of the stuff describing the characters was put into English). Lots of nice pics though. I did read something though that mentioned there being a maid born from nightmares (or some such), which is presumed to be her.

Owrtho
    Maaaan. Japanese people are weird... thank god or Darkstalkers wouldn't exist.

My Homebrews

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel110 View Post
    Maaaan. Japanese people are weird... thank god or Darkstalkers wouldn't exist.
    You should see Yabai. She's another one of the maids who apparently has something like a basilisk's gaze where if you make eye contact with her you die. Not exactly what I would consider sensible when it comes to hiring help around the house.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

30. - Top - End - #120

Razor Fin: I always did like Great Flyby attack. I think this is fine.

Absent Fin: This is awesome.

On attack bonus: The lack of a high attack bonus is an issue. If you want to keep aberration BAB, perhaps the following ability would work:

Unearthly Power (Su) : An Ozodrin attacking with a natural weapon receives an enhancement bonus equal to +1/2 their class level to their attack bonus. Any attack effected by this ability bypasses damage reduction as though it were made by a magic weapon.

It could be granted at level 5 alongside the other, more situational ability. That gives them a higher enough attack bonus to compete. A similar ability I was using for another class used also boosted damage, but this class receives so many attacks per round… I’m not sure it would be balanced. The bonus could possibly by insight instead of enhancement since it isn’t boosting damage.

------------------

Another thing, one of the main issues I have found with this class is the pressure to take all aberrant feats. My level 16 npcs are getting almost as many points from feats as they are from class levels. This is an issue as there are not that many aberrant feats, which results in them having the same build. So I set out to solve the issue in a way that would be balanced in all games the Ozodrin might be allowed in (some of the feats on that other thread are a bit.. iffy)

So here it goes:

Otherworldly Skill [Aberrant]
    Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +4, any 3 aberrant feats.
    Choose a fighter bonus feat you meet the prerequisites for. This feat must not require a proficiency in a non-natural weapon. As a free action 1/day per aberrant feat you posses you can gain the benefits of that feat for 1 hour.
    Special: You can take this feat multiple times, choosing a different fighter bonus feat each time. You may choose feats that require fighter bonus feats previously chosen for Otherworldly skill (you could take this feat once to gain dodge, and again to gain mobility). Feats chosen in this way also count towards any other class/feat/skill/etc requirements.

^ The restriction might not be needed. This would add a lot of versatility to builds taking 100% aberrant feats.

Aberrant Monstrosity [Aberrant]
    Prerequisites: Any 3 aberrant feats.
    Choose a [Monstrous] feat you meet the prerequisites for. You may choose feats that require you to be of the aberration type. As a free action 1/day per aberrant feat you posses you can gain the benefits of that feat for 1 hour.
    Special: You can take this feat multiple times, choosing a different Monstrous feat each time. You may choose feats that require monstrous feats previously chosen for Aberrant Monstrosity. Feats chosen in this way also count towards any other class/feat/skill/etc requirements.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2010-07-20 at 08:12 PM.