New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

I'd go with enhancement since their are some items out their that let you put magical enhancements on your natural weapons, so making it enhancement keeps them from overloading it.

Besides a simple (simple, not easy) way to do combat with this class is to initiate a grapple first, then attack since you can use natural attacks in a grapple and their flat footed for it, which is going to take a bit out of a lot of people's armor class (particularly if they manage to pin them).

Might want to also give them that Bite of the Serpent feat so that they can swallow Colossal creatures (since I think you can swallow anything smaller than yourself or in this case the size of the mouth that your using).

2. - Top - End - #152

This class is simply amazing. I can't wit for it to be completed!
    I thought something the other day,. What about a feature that lets you use flesh and alien related "spells", like necrotic cyst and the likes... They could be used as extraordinary abilities and work like viruses... or even poisons or diseases...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Added a Unearthly Power (level 5), and an augment to exchange the enhancement bonus for enchantments.
    Added ability for puppets to be outside while you hid in your dimensional pocket (is an augment for the puppets).
    Added a feat that gives some far realm magic ability.
    Added capstone.

Plan to add:
    Skin
    Stomach
    Possibly other stuff.

Also, what do you mean Bite of the Snake feat? And they already can swallow colossal creatures, or devour them.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looking good so far. I like the way the spell feat was done - it is far from an obvious choice and none of those spells (except the suicidal one) perform game-changing utility magic. Might be too expensive, but I'm not sure.

I noticed some wording errors:

>Traveling Tentacle has some issues, a missing 'r' in 'your' and a 'door' where 'anchor' should be. Edit by me (also added stuff to the teleportation note):
    Required Level 11: This tentacle has the ability to pass the rest of your body through it. You may use 5' of your strange movement to move to any point along the length of this tentacle as a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. This is not prevented by dimensional anchor or other similar abilities and is not considered a teleportation effect. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from any creatures you would pass. If you so choose, you may extend this tentacle into the normal world when using the strange movement ability.
    > Otherwordly Skill states that fighters may select 'the' feat as a fighter bonus feat. I think that should be 'this' feat.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2010-08-06 at 09:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you think I should reduce the spell feat to only take away 2 form points as its base rather than 3? Part of the idea was that it wouldn't be overwhelmingly powerful, but for those ozodrin that wanted a little extra far realm magic/cosmic horror touch, they could take the feat to get those far realm themed spells. Also addresses the issue someone had a while back about summoning monsters.

I felt the form points should be a permanent sacrifice as well because otherwise people would just not put any form points into it till they need a spell, or it would be too strong.
    I also wonder if I might see about adding any other similar feats for cosmic horror type magic, but am unsure what would fit that except maybe xenothurgy, and that would be somewhat different to do (and you could just make them an afflicted/blessed xenotheurgist anyway).

Also, thanks for catching the typos, I've fixed them.
    I also got around to changing special eyes like I said I would. Not sure if I have the best wording though.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Only three dead levels to go... hmm...

Okay, this is probably meant for low- to mid-level ozodrin, but maybe we could use it to bump another feature up. Maybe the ozodrin could grow minor features without manifesting their true form? It would be good for those instances where turning into a full-blown eldritch abomination would be a bad idea but you need a given feature. Definately needs a form point limit, though.

And that's all I can come up with at the moment. Lemme see what I can come up with later.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteNothing View Post
    Only three dead levels to go... hmm...

Okay, this is probably meant for low- to mid-level ozodrin, but maybe we could use it to bump another feature up. Maybe the ozodrin could grow minor features without manifesting their true form? It would be good for those instances where turning into a full-blown eldritch abomination would be a bad idea but you need a given feature. Definately needs a form point limit, though.

And that's all I can come up with at the moment. Lemme see what I can come up with later.
    Something like this maybe?

Otherworldy Guise

An ozodrin of 16th level or higher can force aspects of it's true form onto it's worldly form. As a full-round action a ozodrin may swap the features of it normal form for different features. Calculate the normal forms features as if you were a puppet of your race, do not count features from aberrant feats. The form points need to form such a puppet + 1/10 of your form points may be redistributed into new features. No more than than the starting number of features+1/5 ozodrin level may be present. Basic eyes count for 1/2. You may not add shifting features, Puppets, or Lure Traps. A form without eyes is blind. A form without limbs or tentacles has a land speed of 0. A form without a mouth may not use devour of Swallow whole.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm... Well, I was thinking of just growing the features on the ozodrin's body rather than (possibly) replacing them, but I think your idea works better.

9. - Top - End - #159

ElfMonkGuy

I do like the new changes, though I do have a few concerns:

1) I do feel that Unearthly power should apply to both attack and damage rolls, and it should be stated that no more than a +5 bonus can be applied to attack and damage rolls (just like a standard pre epic nonmagical weapon).

2) Cerebrant Horror gives access to spells that aren't in any of your standard books, so most people can't make use of it.

Oh and "Maw of the Serpent" (sorry had the wrong name on the last one) was a monstrous feat that let someone swallow something up to their own size (though it took 2 full round actions and 2 successful grapple checks to do it), since normally you can only swallow something up to one size smaller than you.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by periscope69 View Post
    I do like the new changes, though I do have a few concerns:

1) I do feel that Unearthly power should apply to both attack and damage rolls, and it should be stated that no more than a +5 bonus can be applied to attack and damage rolls (just like a standard pre epic nonmagical weapon).

2) Cerebrant Horror gives access to spells that aren't in any of your standard books, so most people can't make use of it.

Oh and "Maw of the Serpent" (sorry had the wrong name on the last one) was a monstrous feat that let someone swallow something up to their own size (though it took 2 full round actions and 2 successful grapple checks to do it), since normally you can only swallow something up to one size smaller than you.
    Well, for the first I might make it so they can allocate points to attack or damage (when making the feature). Though if I do so I would state that the damage bonus can't be greater than +5. What do other people think?

For the second, while that is true, they are the most thematically appropriate spells. Also there are... other methods to obtaining the spells if someone is interested in taking it. Though if you can suggest some similar cosmic horror like spells or magic system that could be used for another such feat let me know and I'll look into it. I decided that any spell casting that the class would gain for their cosmic horror like abilities would be granted through such feats rather than as a normal part of the class (in part because while such abilities are frequently found among a cosmic horror's repertoire, they don't all have them, and many people will likely be content to play the class just using the features (there is by far enough variety to keep one occupied just using features I hope).
    Still, if people would like to try coming up with some cosmic horror themed spell lists (or ability lists) of comparable volume to the cerebrotic spells (as in 1 to 2 per level), feel free to do so and I'll look over using it. I certainly would be interested in giving a few more casting options (might be particularly nice if they focus on specific aspects of abilities that cosmic horrors often are portrayed as having).

I'll try moving the Skin and Stomach features to the feature post soon. Though I'll be making a few minor changes. Namely that I plan to change the name of the Skin feature or at least the description, and I'm going to have the stomach feature use either 1 large or 1 huge creature capacity as the default size for extra stomachs made using it (with augments to increase or decrease the size).

Also, I'm thinking of making either a feat or a stomach augment that will let you have your stomach seem to be rooms or the like. This would let you do things like make what seems to be a building or manor out of your stomachs, though you would still be able to place other features in it. Could be used for party relaxation, a meeting ground, or to confuse that guy you swallowed by making him wonder why he is in a nice house when the last thing he seems to remember is being eaten by some monster (must have been a dream, or this is). Any suggestions?

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

11. - Top - End - #161

ElfMonkGuy

one of the things that you can do is too make it like ancestor feats only instead of an ancestor, make it research of the "Old ones" from Lovecraft.

For instance:

Cthulu knowledge

Your research of the emissary has led to an expansion of your own powers or you have been gifted by him.

Requirements:

One Aberrant feat, Knowledge (History, Planes, or Local [he is a legend so....]) 13 ranks.

Benefits:

You gain either a +8 bonus on swim checks (if you don't have a swim speed) or a +15 foot bonus to your swim speed (if you do have one), the Frightful Prescence special quality, and the ability to use Charm Person as a spell like ability once per day per point of Charisma Modifier.

A bit powerful I know, but it's a rough draft.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, any spells I'm planning to model after the Cerebrant Horror feat I already made. The issue is the lack of similar spell lists. Also I hope to avoid referencing specific entities lest it link the class to a specific setting.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #163

and it should be stated that no more than a +5 bonus can be applied to attack and damage rolls (just like a standard pre epic nonmagical weapon).
    I am against this idea. The point of the ability is to solve the issue where the class really wants a full bab to work, but doesn’t want the other things full bab entail. Having the ability stop at +5 means the ability stops solving this problem at higher levels, where it is the most important.

The class I originally created this ability for (attack+damage) only made a few attacks each round, so I was wary of adding the damage bonus to a class that made many. But the attack bonus needs to stay that high. It needs to be higher than a normal magic weapon is likely to be at any given level, as it isn’t replacing magic weapons. Its replacing full bab. It ends up slightly higher, but not over +5 higher and it doesn’t stack with other enhancement bonuses.

If you really want to add damage, I suggest it be equal to ½ the bonus to attack, rounded down. So that would be a +1 bonus to damage per 4 levels.

--------------------------

I would be careful with spell designs. The spells currently in use avoid many of the wizard non-combat spells and I would like that to continue as I think this class is still tier 3. I could work on some non-setting spells similar to the other ones. Escalation and all.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2010-08-11 at 04:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be useful for the spells. I agree the class shouldn't have much in utility spells. For one thing, it all ready gets a fair amount of utility out of features.
    One of the main things about the spells though is that there are a few areas cosmic horror type entities are frequently shown as having seemingly magical abilities. The cerebrotic spells work for some of that (particularly having aberrant minions), but lack some of the other aspects, like causing issues with dreams, and weird geometry. Mind part of the difficulty there is finding spells that fit into such categories without being such that they might overpower the class.

I also agree with your point on the attack/damage bonus thing. If you actually loo at it, 3/4ths BAB ends up with 5 BAB lower than Full BAB by level 20. at level 20 this class would have a +10 bonus to attack. As such it would end up being only +5 from if the class had full BAB. On the damage issue, if I do have something like that, I'd make it be an augment that can add a damage bonus (possibly at the cost of attack bonus) and can't exceed half your attack bonus.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought I'd mention, I added the skin feature, sorta. I changed the name to flesh, and made some minor changes to the augments.

I also added the Otherworldly Guise ability.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

I just noticed this and I'm pretty sure it's my error, but the last line of Otherworldly Guise should be
    A form without a mouth may not use devour or Swallow whole.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

I've fixed the typo.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

only two more levels to go! (applauds)
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought I'd let those who are interested know I updated the class again. Added the stomach feature (fairly changed from how it originally was though still keeping most of it), a handful of mouth augments, and a puppet augment. There are also now more features than can fit in a single post which forced me to move the basic eyes and mouths back to the first post...
    I really should have reserved posts for this.

In other news I added a new feat.

I also have some thoughts about making an ability based around your aberrant nature twisting you mind such that any contacting it (such as by using a mind affecting ability), take damage or otherwise suffer an adverse effect (possible able to be suppressed, but should be more specific than just mind-affecting abilities as those don't always require mental contact). Somewhat at a loss though for what exactly it should do and the level I should place it at, so suggestions are welcome.

Edit: Suddenly realized that the ozodrin lacked a means of producing illumination (particularly in the stomach), so added an augment to the flesh feature.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-08-19 at 04:32 AM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    I also have some thoughts about making an ability based around your aberrant nature twisting you mind such that any contacting it (such as by using a mind affecting ability), take damage or otherwise suffer an adverse effect (possible able to be suppressed, but should be more specific than just mind-affecting abilities as those don't always require mental contact). Somewhat at a loss though for what exactly it should do and the level I should place it at, so suggestions are welcome.
    Base it on Volatile Mind, the Wilder's Class feature?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #171

I like the changes to the stomach augment. : )
    Have not had the time to make the spells, trying to be careful with them.

So, comments about the flesh augment:

> Pretending Flesh still has references to skin that pretends.

> I think magic-eating flesh could be 13 + 3 per extra flesh. I know, I had it that low, but I changed my mind about it awhile back. It would still cost 20 form points to have an SR of 23. At level 12 that is slightly better than 50% verse an opponent of the same level.

> Secreting flesh is missing a required level (given its location in the line-up, I assume level 16). Also, could you suppress/resume this effect? It could be annoying in certain situations. Also, why the non-living restriction?

> How does ‘Cystic Flesh’ deal 1 point of acid damage to weapons when you acid can’t effect non-living material?

> For filtering flesh – what if no normal material exists? I.E., if the air is 100% methane.

Not sure about the mind feature.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2010-08-21 at 09:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    I like the changes to the stomach augment. : )
    Have not had the time to make the spells, trying to be careful with them.
    Glad to hear you like the changes. Take the time you need on the spells.

> Pretending Flesh still has references to skin that pretends.
    Fixed the typo.

> I think magic-eating flesh could be 13 + 3 per extra flesh. I know, I had it that low, but I changed my mind about it awhile back. It would still cost 20 form points to have an SR of 23. At level 12 that is slightly better than 50% verse an opponent of the same level.
    Makes sense, I changed the base.

> Secreting flesh is missing a required level (given its location in the line-up, I assume level 16). Also, could you suppress/resume this effect? It could be annoying in certain situations. Also, why the non-living restriction?
    You're right about the level. I added in a line to suppress/resume the effect, but it doesn't occur immediately. Why only non-living? 3 reasons. 1, it isn't concentrated enough. 2, it could be abused if it damages everything that touches it. 3, it would be a pain as a player if you're cloths were constantly destroyed by it.

> How does ‘Cystic Flesh’ deal 1 point of acid damage to weapons when you acid can’t effect non-living material?
    The cysts have concentrated secretion. Also changed it to fit better.

> For filtering flesh – what if no normal material exists? I.E., if the air is 100% methane.
    You can still breathe.

Not sure about the mind feature.
    Hadn't thought about making it a feature, but that might work (have a few augments that vary from backlash, to wisdom damage, to temporarily trapping them in your mind making them dazed, to turn about). Still not sure how to specify effects trigger it though.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Just a question, can mouths other than your normal mouth speak verbal components to spells? I'm just wondering for purposes of grappling's ability to prevent an opponent from speaking. If i had more mouth's than my opponent had arms, than could i continue casting spells even when silenced this way?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Just a question, can mouths other than your normal mouth speak verbal components to spells? I'm just wondering for purposes of grappling's ability to prevent an opponent from speaking. If i had more mouth's than my opponent had arms, than could i continue casting spells even when silenced this way?
    If you have the deceptive mouth augment, then yes. Otherwise the mouths can't speak.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

A thought, but how would an ability (likely around level 19) be that would allow the ozodrin to move itself, or just shifting features to images of itself as if they were a part of itself (images being things like current illusions of it, or scrying as opposed to pictures unless they are magical in nature allowing them to show what something currently is doing). By necessity the ozodrin would be able to sense such images when they occurred.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

A thought, but how would an ability (likely around level 19) be that would allow the ozodrin to move itself, or just shifting features to images of itself as if they were a part of itself (images being things like current illusions of it, or scrying as opposed to pictures unless they are magical in nature allowing them to show what something currently is doing). By necessity the ozodrin would be able to sense such images when they occurred.

Owrtho
    That sounds pretty good. Though I'd recommend that it need a certain number of Form points to be active, so that it's not on all the time.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

Owrtho
    Personally, i don't like this idea. A class should not require you to multiclass or need assistance from another class to use an ability of theirs (unless it is a PrC and it uses abilities from a prerequisite class). So if you give them this ability, you should also give them the ability to create those illusions themselves. Here's my idea for that ability:
    (flesh augment)
    HTML Code:
    <i>Molting skin:</i>
    Additional cost 15
    Required level 18: This form of flesh only fits very loosely. As a result, it does not count for purposes of gaining extra AC from multiple skins. However, the skin can be easily separated from you as a move action.Seeing this happen is a slightly disturbing process, and thus all who witness it must make a will save (DC to be determined) or be shaken for 3 rounds. This produces what appears to be a clone of you, but is really a hollow shell. Since it has no structure, it is by default one size category smaller than you and crumples to dust the first time it is damaged. Using engorged flesh or iron flesh fixes both of these problems. Using condensed flesh makes it firm enough to have hit points, but makes it two size categories smaller than you. If the molting has hit points, it has hit points equal to (10+ozodrin lvls+charisma modifier). If you used iron flesh to give it this structure, it benefits from iron flesh's DR of 2/adamantium. The molting also benefits from being able to use any other augments to it's flesh. The molting moves and acts as if under affect by a control body power. You can however, activate any mental actions by it (such as switching between different pretending fleshes) in addition to only physical actions. You can put the skin back on as a swift action, if you and the molting are withing reach of one of you. This is no more disturbing than watching two puddings come together, and thus does not require a will save. You can also as a swift action put the skin on another object or being, willing or not. If the subject is willing, the skin offers them the same bonuses it would have had if you were wearing it. If the molting has any features attached to it, both you and the subject can both control the features on each of your turns. You can also control the subject as if by a control body power (thus allowing you to move the subject during your turn in addition to their turn). If the subject is unwilling, the molting must first grapple with the target first. Once the molting is attached, the being is held in place and can only take mental actions. You can control their physical actions during your turn (once again, as control body). they are granted resistances and DR and MR from the skin (as it still coats them). However, the molting uses any augments it has or features that are attached in such a way to be most detrimental to the host (example: a luminous, filtering, reality bending molting that wrapped around a vampire would simulate sunlight in order to kill the vampire). If wrapped around an inanimate object, it gains resistances, DR, and MR from the flesh, and has it's hit points and hardness boosted by half the molting's hardness and hit points (default molting hardness is 2 per point of dr provided by iron flesh). The ozodrin can also control the object as if by a control object power. Objects carried by something animate(d) or that have some method of moving on there own accord (such as a psicrystal using it's self-propulsion) may get a reflex save (dc=1/2 of molting's hit points) to avoid getting surrounded. An occupied object that can move on it's own accord uses whichever reflex bonus would be higher. Objects the molting is holding (or grappling) or has on their person in any other method automatically fails their save. A molting can cover up to one size category larger than them (unless it has been condensed, in which case it can cover up to two size categories larger than itself).

okay, I think I'm done (other than needing a will save DC). May the gods help us all when i present my idea for "guts on the outside" augment... I take great pride in my thoroughness.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, for the first part, the ability isn't intended to be one that others would help you use. Rather it is a responsive one for if enemies or other unknown groups are scrying on you, allowing you to recognize that and respond (by attacking them), though if I allow paintings to also work, then that means you could just become an artist and paint pictures of yourself to put up places.

For the molten skin, that is really long for an augment. Some of the parts might not quite make sense either. The idea of separating small parts of yourself off though is an interesting one though. I might look into converting that into a somewhat smaller and more manageable form. Good work.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-08-29 at 07:23 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay, on the molting skin, what if it's destroyed while separate from the ozodrin? Does the ozodrin automatically regain the form points used to make the skin, and if not, how quickly does he regain them?

And on another point, does anyone have any idea of what to put down for level 18? I'm drawing a blank.
    Last edited by InfiniteNothing; 2010-09-02 at 07:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can imagine this as an invocation using class, similar to the dragonfire adept only with aberrations.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.