New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: When You Stare Into The Abyss... IC

Gabriel
    Spoiler
    Show
    After casting a spell to detect magic among the marilith's possessions, your trained eyes pick out six magical items.

Two of the items are quite familiar to you: a cloak which increases its wearer's resistance to harm and makes him look great in the process, and an ioun stone that protects against magic. Two are unfamiliar, though you understand the magical principles behind them: a ring that allows its wearer to act more quickly in combat, and a belt which allows its wearer to fly via glowing wings that appear or disappear as needed. One is something you haven't seen before: an iron vest that greatly enhances its wearer's skill in combat. Finally, one is a very rare item that you feel will come in handy: a sword that adjusts to its wielder's size and bends fate to his favor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanically, those items are thus:
    --a cloak of resistance +4 & Charisma +2
    --a pale lavender ioun stone
    --a belt of battle in ring form
    --wings of flying in belt form
    --an iron vest granting knowledge of several Iron Heart maneuvers
    --a luck blade
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gabriel

Having not known Gonen particularly well, Gabriel doesn't appear much affected by his death. "Another casualty of war," he mutters, his tone striding the line between regretful and indifferent.

While the others busy themselves with the dead man, Gabriel scans his eyes over the items the Marilith left behind. Aided by magic, his keen mind soon penetrates the mysteries of each trinket. When the others have finished mourning Gonen, Gabriel calmly explains the functioning of each of the magical items in turn.

[OOC: Assume Gabriel, being an honest man, tells everything stated in the spoilers above.]

"Powerful tools, indeed," he concludes. "That beast was well equipped, and in the service, evidently, of at least one Demon Prince responsible for this incursion. We should put these tools to good use at once if we are to face more such servants."

He points to the sword. "These weapons are rumored to contain the power of the Wish, but short of wishing upon the sword, I have no way to verify if this particular blade carries any such power. I leave that to the one who claims it."

Gabriel stoops, picking up the ring. "Barring objections, I claim this."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Gabriel explains that the items retrieved from the demoness are a cloak which increases its wearer's resistance to harm and makes him look great in the process, an ioun stone that protects against magic, a ring that allows its wearer to act more quickly in combat, a belt which allows its wearer to fly via glowing wings that appear or disappear as needed, an iron vest that greatly enhances its wearer's skill in combat, and a sword that adjusts to its wielder's size and bends fate to his favor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanically, those items are thus:
    --a cloak of resistance +4 & Charisma +2
    --a pale lavender ioun stone
    --a belt of battle in ring form
    --wings of flying in belt form
    --an iron vest granting knowledge of several Iron Heart maneuvers
    --a luck blade

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Wogg
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 101/175
    AC:26+6 T:14+5 FF:26+6 (Uncanny Dodge) Init: +6 Land Speed: 40+40
    Flight Speed: 40
    Condition: Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Ghost Step, Die at -20, +2vs Charm/Comp, DR 6/Magic
    Str: 14 Dex: 18 Con: 26 Int: 14 Wis: 14 Cha: 14
    Fort: 20+4 Ref: 9+5 Will: 11+4

Though the hobgoblin had been skewered and slashed several times in but a few short moments he seems no worse for wear once the she-demon is dead. He glides across the fallen leaves and underbrush to look over Sir Gonen's inert form, "Hy fink dat sward dere ken fix diz, if it hev eny magik left. Hy hev no need ver such a blade, but Gonen on ze other hand... He still have a hand, yes?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Soulmelds changed to match what was used during the encounter.
    Damage accounted for, unless DR 6/Magic would have helped. (I doubt it. >.>)

Healing Belt on self, single charge: (2d8)[12]
    89->101

Incarnum Spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Essentia:20 (-3) (E=Essentia Invested) Capacity 4
    Capacity Bonuses: +1 for bold, +1 for Underlined
    Bonuses are Insight unless noted otherwise
    If the Chakra below have an essentia, anything in it is treated as having 1 extra essentia.
    [1] Crown
    [0] Hands
    [1] Feet
    Soulmelds:
    [4] Crystal Helm: +2 Resistance vs Charm/Compulsion. +E Deflection to AC
    [0] Acrobat Boots: +2+2E Balance, Escape Artist, Jump, Tumble
    [0] Impulse Boots: Uncanny Dodge. +E Enhancement to Reflex
    [Bound]: Evasion
    [6] Worg Pelt: +2+2E Competence to Hide/MS
    [Bound]: +5+5E Land Speed, untyped
    [1] Totem Avatar: +12hp, +E Enhancement Natural Armor
    [Bound]: DR 5+E/Magic
    [0] Yrthak Mask: +4+2E Listen
    [Bound]: Ed6 Sonic Ray
    [4] Incarnate Avatar: +E Untyped on one: Skills, Attacks, Saves, AC, or x2 on Damage

Incarnum Feats: Capacity 3
    [3] Healing Soul: E/day heal 2E as Swift. Uses Remaining: [3/3]

Other pertinent Information:
    Ghost Step: Survival to Track must beat Move Silently, Darkstalker feat (blindsense, blindsight, tremorsense, etc must make Listen vs Move Silently, Control Sound/Silence/Ventriloquism, can take -10 to use my Move Silently for others w/in 30ft.

Rapid Meldshaping 2/day: Reshape and Rebind all soulmelds as Full Round. Uses Remaining: [0/2]

Healing Belt: 1/2/3 charges for 2/3/4d8. Charges Remaining: [2/3]
    Belt of Battle: 1/2/3 charges for Move/Standard/Full. Charges Remaining: [3/3]
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2010-07-27 at 02:40 AM.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Seri

At the Marilith's demise, Seri simply drops, taking a seat on the very ground and laying back. She uses her hands as support while she looks up to the sky and breaths slowly. After turning to see both Fimbul and Nevi alive and liking their wounds, she simply looks to the discarded Falchion and shivers. That thing had practically flayed her alive.

She gets to work on the wolves' wounds then on her own, but pauses when she hears of Gonen's fate. She simply looks over to Dwomak. She stands up and heads toward the Luckblade.

"A wish might bring him back then?" She lifts the sword and tests its balance. "Well, then we need to bring him back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the lags between posts, things have been hectic lately.

Would holding it let me know how many wishes the sword has left?

If there's at least one, then Seri will try the following Wish:

I wish that Dwomak's master returned to life.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

When Seri lifts the short sword and states "I wish that Dwomak's master returned to life," nothing seems to happen for a moment. Then, slowly, an unnatural wind whips through the trees and sweeps around Gonen. He lifts off the ground in a slow-motion reversal of the fall he made when he was killed, blood appearing in midair and rushing back into him and skin mending around the wound. The marilith's cuts are uncut, slashes unslashed, thrusts unthrusted, and other wounds undone going back to the beginning of the battle. The wind calms, and Gonen stands before you, unharmed. With a tiny pop, a small diamond on the blade disappears, leaving the sword completely devoid of adornments.

Show

<Snip>

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Karamandes

"Welcome back. Please try not to pull that off again, we might not be this... lucky the next time you croak." Karamandes says, doing his best to disguise his relief.

"Does anyone have a particular use for that cloak? My old cloak had an unfortunate incident involving a fire elemental last year, I have been looking for a replacement. Not that looking so dashing is useful to me..."
    Last edited by Ernir; 2010-07-27 at 10:31 AM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sir Gonen

Gonen gasps as his body magically heals, and his soul returns to the land of the living.

"I... Thank you for saving me."He looks towards the demoness's gear, then shakes his head. "I will be sure to be more careful next time." He smiles weakly. "And perhaps I should aquire a bow."
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gabriel

The elf smiles as life returns to Gonen's body. "One more the Abyss can't claim yet," he thinks.

"Though it is not mine to give, this blade has already granted you life once. Hold it close, and it might serve you well again."

"Though the power of the Wish has left it, I think," Gabriel muses to himself. "Ah well, easy come, easy go. It is still a fine weapon."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground

Percy
    Sir Gonen, it's good to see you back, Sir Gonen. Please, be more careful in the future. I'd hate to see you gone again, especially since we may not be as lucky in what we find next time. Percy says, trying to help Gonen get back on his feet. Also, I hate to sound insincere about this whole thing, but may I have this? he says, indicating towards the belt.I could certainly use the ability to move through the air.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Wogg

The hobgoblin smiles with a wide toothy grin and pats Gonen on the back with a massive hand, "Hy told hyu, he vill be just fine. Hyu keep your head on your shoulders now, hokay?"

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #192

Sir Gonen

Gonen smiles back at Wogg. "I'll try my hardest."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Wogg

The hobgoblin shuffles over towards the pile of loot and swiftly swipes the vest, "Vell, its not a nyce hat, but hy fink this vest vill do nicely." Leaving his Vest of Resistance for somebody else to claim, the furry goblinoid eases into the vest to see just what this crazy thing does.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Wogg
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you slip on the vest, you feel it snugly fit to your body, and when you rest a hand on your weapon it subtly moves your arms to change your grip. A vast store of knowledge suddenly explodes into being in your brain--stances, thrusts, parries, footwork, and other fighting techniques pour into your mind and are now second nature to you. The flood of knowledge is overwhelming, but before it recedes to a dull pulse in the back of your mind you're able to pick up a few combat maneuvers that you think will be useful.

[While you wear the vest, you gain knowledge of several Iron Heart maneuvers of your choice, usable as if you learned them through Martial Study; you know one maneuver each of levels 1 to 4 and one stance in the same level range.]

Show

<Snip>

15. - Top - End - #195

Sir Gonen

Gonen walks up to the pile of magic items. He picks up Wogg's vest, saying
    "Does any one mind if I take this?"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gabriel

Sword still drawn, Gabriel shrugs.

"Hurry and claim your prizes, before more demons arrive. It is foolish to linger for much longer."

The elf glances around to be sure nobody else has snuck up on them. He taps a stud on his belt.

Spoiler
    Show

Activate Healing Belt (1 charge): (2d8)[14]

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Wogg

The hobgoblin nods absently as he studies the new vest, leaning into a stance that seems clearly good for moving swiftly on foot and leaving the clatter of fumbled blows ring in one's wake. He swipes at the air to test out one of the minor techniques the vest has taught him and at the very last moment before he would hit (or miss) a supposed foe in front of him the angle of the blade changes and he drives it deep into his imaginary friend. He chuckles to himself and begins wandering off towards the town.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Ahead of you, through the large gaping hole in the trees caused by the marilith's blade barriers, you can see all the way to the town with few impediments. Tiny figures scramble over buildings, larger demons walk through the streets, and the whole area is lit with a greenish-yellow light coming from somewhere in the middle of the town.

Behind you, billowing columns of smoke rise up through the trees from where your ship is docked (or possibly was docked, if the escaped demon had its way with it).

Show

<Snip>

19. - Top - End - #199

Sir Gonen

At Gabriel's urging, Gonen puts the vest on, then picks up the small lavender stone. He looks around, and says "If no one wants this, I'll take it."Recalling that the head priest in his home town had a similar stone, he brings it up to his head, and lets go, whereupon it circles (1d3)[3] feet from his head. He looks toward the town, and says "We should help those people. They look like they need it."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gabriel

Rising into the air again, Gabriel turns invisible and begins flying toward the town.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Invisibility (Extended) on self

Spot checks on the town (See Invisibility and Darkvision activated): (1d20+14)[31]
    Knowledge (The Planes) to identify any demons he sees: (1d20+23)[40]

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 77
    AC: 25 (32 when Haste, Shield and Protection from Chaos are cast—11ish minutes remain on Protection and Shield)
    Attack vs. Demons, using Slayer: +18/+18/+13 (9 Base + 2 Strength + 5 Enhancement + 1 haste + 1 class), Critical Range 17-20/x2
    Damage vs. Demons, using Slayer: 1d8 + (3 Strength + 5 Enhancement) + 2d6 (Outsider Bane Weapon), Cold Iron weapon

Spells Prepared:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 0: Detect Magic x2, Message x2 (1 used)
    Level 1: Feather Fall, Nerveskitter, Protection from Chaos x1 (1 used), Shield x1 (1 used), True Strike
    Level 2: Rope Trick, Wraithstrike x5 (1 used)
    Level 3: Haste x2, Invisibility (Extended) x2 (2 used)
    Level 4: Keen Edges (Extended), Spiderskin (Extended), Haste (Extended) x1 (1 used), Magic Weapon, Greater (Extended), Mage Armor, Greater (Extended)
    Level 5: Overland Flight, Shadow Evocation x2, Teleport

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Gabriel
    Spoiler
    Show
    What's left of the town is crawling with many varieties of tanar'ri, but only babau and jovocs have a noticeable presence, the rest being limited to about five or six specimens of each type. You don't see anything more powerful than a zovvut; obviously they're relying on quantity over quality.

Coming closer to the town, you notice that some of the smaller figures on the roofs appear to be humanoids scuttling around and hiding from the demons; they seem to be in bad shape, given that some of them appear to be moving with limps or other obvious injuries, but from this distance that's about all you can make out.

In the center of town is a small greenish-yellow glowing blob. You'd have to get a lot closer to pick up on any details.

Show

<Snip>

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

As you all creep up to the outer limits of the town, you realize the damage is much worse than it appeared. Buildings are crumbling, with holes smashed through the walls; fires flicker in the streets and a terrible stench pervades the place, thanks to the many burning corpses strewn about; demons scamper around inflicting more destruction and laughing wildly. What's left of the town is crawling with many varieties of tanar'ri, but only babau and jovocs have a noticeable presence, the rest being limited to about five or six specimens of each type. You don't see anything more powerful than a zovvut; obviously they're relying on quantity over quality.

Gabriel mentions that from his vantage point in the air he noticed some smaller figures on the roofs that appeared to be humanoids scuttling around and hiding from the demons; they seemed to be in bad shape, given that some of them appeared to be moving with limps or other obvious injuries.

A greenish-yellow glow emanates from somewhere in the center of the town, but with the obstruction from all the ruins you'd have to get a lot closer to identify its source.

Show

<Snip>

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gabriel

Gabriel flies closer to the center of town, heading for the strange emanations at a healthy altitude. His blade remains drawn, and he remains invisible, but vigilant.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot Roll (on the humanoids on the rooftops): (1d20+14)[30]
    Spot Roll (on the demons in the streets): (1d20+14)[21]
    Knowledge (The Planes) Roll (on the demons): (1d20+23)[24]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Gabriel relays the following to everyone:

On the roofs of the remaining buildings, there are seven humanoids, consisting of three elves of some variety, two humans or part-humans, one goblin, and one hobgoblin. They're all middle-age or thereabouts, except for one elf who appears to be in his seventies or eighties, the equivalent of a human teenager. Most of them have crossbows slung across their backs and are carrying axes or wands. They're sneaking along as best they can with their injuries.

The demons in the streets near them consist of a dozen or so jovocs, a retriever, and a succubus. The jovocs are scrambling through alleyways and in and out of ruins, swiping each other with claws occasionally, while the retriever crawls slowly and carefully, moving its head back and forth as if trying to mystically sniff the humanoids out. The succubus is making occasional flyovers, during which the humanoids huddle in the shadows and under overhanging debris to avoid her scrutiny. The demons don't appear to know exactly where they are, or they'd have been discovered long ago, but they're getting closer.

Gabriel informs you that jovocs are able to harm non-demons within 30 feet whenever they take damage themselves and also heal their own wounds, which would explain why they're attacking each other--they're probably trying to wound the humanoids and get them to cry out in pain or the like. Succubi can detect good and detect thoughts at will, so even if she doesn't see the refugees she can still detect them if they aren't under cover. Retrievers have lethal eye rays that can shoot energy or petrify their targets, so if it manages to find the refugees they won't last long.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-08-31 at 05:41 PM.

Show

<Snip>

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Karamandes

So, what will it be? Shall we go in, weapons drawn and spells ready, and hope for the best, or does anyone see a less dramatic way to enter?
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

26. - Top - End - #206

Gonen

"I believe we should head straight in, unless one of the others can come up with a more safe way to enter." Gonen says, gesturing to the rest of the group.