New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default "This is my city, I see and hear all within it." (Magic Item, PEACH)

Well, first time homebrewing, I decided to post an idea for an item I had.

Totem and Amulet of The Ever-Guard:This set of a large metal totem and a runed amulet of a heavy chain requires a city to use. To activate the item, the totem must be placed in the ground of the city in an open area and the amulet must be worn. When the above is fulfilled, the wearer of the amulet gains both Telepathy and Mindsight to the borders of the city. In addition, no effect can obscure any creature from this speech or sight, unless the effected individual succeeds on a DC30 Will save. In such a case, the wearer of the amulet is still aware of the entry of the creature into the city, but is unaware of their position unless it take one minute to actively search the city for it. This item also allows one to listen to the surface thoughts of any creature within the city as detect thoughts. The effects of this item are precise enough that the wearer can teleport to any location within the city as if they were very familiar with it, though the item itself does not grant any transportation abilities. The amulet only functions within the city containing the planted totem. The amulet also fails against creatures immune to Mindsight.
    Strong divination;CL13;Craft Wondrous Item, detect thoughts, arcane eye, Rary's telepathic bond, true seeing;Price 300,000gp;Weight 5lb. (totem)

So, questions/advice/concerns/opinions?
    Last edited by DaragosKitsune; 2011-01-21 at 03:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the line between genius and madness is so thin...

Then why do so few in this day and age toe said line?

Thanks to Bongos for the v-13 avvie!

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "This is my city, I see and hear all within it." (Magic Item, PEACH)

You need to clarify that it doesn't actually grant Teleport.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: "This is my city, I see and hear all within it." (Magic Item, PEACH)

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if it was needed when I did the original write-up.
    Spoiler
    Show

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I'd suggest changing the line where you can't hide from this effect in any way to something requiring a CL check. It's a little silly that an epic level wizard couldn't find a way to hide from a magic item with CL 13.
    Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's not a caster level check, but there is a temporary way to get past it. Also, added that the item fails if the Mindsight wouldn't work.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I shudder to think what this might do to a person if they tried to use it in a city like Ishka. It would take an epic level character just to be able to handle the sheer volume of information this item would be trying to feed the wearer.
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2011-01-21 at 04:35 PM.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, in Ishka it may only manage to affect a single district.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure what Ishka is, but I'll leave it up to the DM to decide what constitutes a city. The size is arbitrary, but I don't mean a city the size of Sigil. Also, just because the radio's on, doesn't mean you have to listen. The item is active, but you don't have to talk to everyone or read everyone's thoughts.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

This is Ishka. Or you could look at the wiki. It likely would fall under the 'city the size of Sigil' part given it seems to be bigger than Sigil, and spans multiple planes.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew