New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Today I learned that the MTA hates me.

For those who don't know, the MTA is the head of public transportation in New York City. They also run some buses outside the city.

So after my internship today, I was taking the bus home by myself for the first time, since my parents were at the doctor. I thought that the bus I needed (Bus A) stopped right outside where I have the internship took me to the train station just a half-mile from home, but as I then learned, I had to take another bus (Bus B) that stopped, and then transfer to Bus A that I needed to get on.

I told the driver of Bus B and went to pay my fare...Only to learn that the Metrocard that my mom loaned me (I had used up mine) only had 20 cents left on it...And the bus fare is $2.25. In coins only. And I had dollar bills. I had to ask for change from the other passengers.

So the bus driver gives me my transfer ticket and kicks me off at the next stop. I'm waiting for 20 minutes in the sweltering heat (90 degrees Farenheit) and finally Bus A comes by...AND DRIVES RIGHT PAST ME! Bus A won't come by again for another 30 minutes, and I can't stay outside that long! 10 minutes later Bus B comes by, and the different driver is actually nice and agrees to take me to the end of the line for free, since the other guy kicked me off.

Now I'm about 5 blocks from a friend's house. I go there and ask for help. Unfortunately, she and her sister are unable to drive me home, and they have to go in a few minutes, but they are willing to let me sit and recover from the heat. We talk for a while, and then I have to go and find a way to get home.

Turns out that taking Bus A would be a waste of time, and the easiest way I can get home now is to walk home. For two miles. In 90 degree weather with a lot of humidity.

I just got home. What should have been a 15-minute trip took nearly 3 hours. And my parents have just come home. Next time, they're driving me back.

Oh, and I lost my sunglasses.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Today I learned that the MTA hates me.

I thought New York City was supposed to be the one place in the U.S. where the public transportation was relatively feasible. My illusions are shattered!
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never tried to take NYC buses. The subways usually get close enough to wherever I need to go. Were there no subways in the area?

Then again, when I lived in the city, I walked almost everywhere...
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't you know already? Public Transport everywhere hates everybody.

Sometimes they just wait a bit before they crush your spirit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I thought New York City was supposed to be the one place in the U.S. where the public transportation was relatively feasible. My illusions are shattered!
    It is (in addition to Boston, Chicago, D.C., and probably some other cities), but there's so much public transportation that some mistakes are inevitable. And the buses are certainly worse than the subways in that regard, though they're usually pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I've never tried to take NYC buses. The subways usually get close enough to wherever I need to go. Were there no subways in the area?

Then again, when I lived in the city, I walked almost everywhere...
    There aren't any subways where I live. The only way feasible home other than walking ten miles was the bus.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-07-08 at 06:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Seattle has a good bus system as well. I've never had a problem with it, but I don't take it on a regular basis. I've taken a lot of public transportation stuffed into a week or two in Boston, New York, and London and have never had a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Will this help at all by chance?

Also, I'm offering internet hugs.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Will this help at all by chance?

Also, I'm offering internet hugs.
    Thank you. *Hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Seattle has a good bus system as well. I've never had a problem with it, but I don't take it on a regular basis. I've taken a lot of public transportation stuffed into a week or two in Boston, New York, and London and have never had a problem.

The main problem is that the driver was a jerk and kicked me off at the first bus stop, even though I paid the fare and needed to go further. (It took me a moment to make change for a dollar, but of course I paid the fare!) And then the bus I was supposed to go on just drove right past me!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    The main problem is that the driver was a jerk and kicked me off at the first bus stop, even though I paid the fare and needed to go further. (It took me a moment to make change for a dollar, but of course I paid the fare!) And then the bus I was supposed to go on just drove right past me!
    There should be some law concerning when a person deserves a fist to the face.

Did the song help at all by chance?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    There should be some law concerning when a person deserves a fist to the face.

Did the song help at all by chance?
    Yeah, the song helped. Thanks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

You can call and complain if you'd like. In addition to noting that you paid the fare, you might also point out that you suffered heat stroke from having to walk where you were going. I'm pretty sure that the MTA rules specify that they shouldn't kick someone off a bus when it would threaten their safety, and the weather you're having down there is a prime example of that.

I am not a New Yorker, but I suspect that a bus passing you is not out of order. If they're too full to take on more passengers, then they will make stops to drop people off.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    You can call and complain if you'd like. In addition to noting that you paid the fare, you might also point out that you suffered heat stroke from having to walk where you were going. I'm pretty sure that the MTA rules specify that they shouldn't kick someone off a bus when it would threaten their safety, and the weather you're having down there is a prime example of that.

I am not a New Yorker, but I suspect that a bus passing you is not out of order. If they're too full to take on more passengers, then they will make stops to drop people off.
    indeed. it alsmo might have been a different bus rather then the one you needed. Slim chance but still.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

For what it's worth, Cof, MTA hates me too, and I live 3000 miles away from them. That's how mean they are.

Clearly, Driver B was an absolute jackass for kicking you off the bus...but in defense of the Bus A that passed you, sometimes buses are too full to take on any more passengers. That may or may not have been his reason.

My suggestion? Get a bicycle! Those 10 miles will fly by, and you'll have a great time in the process. (OK, you might wait till the current heat wave ends before diving right in to that way of doing things...)

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post

At this point it wouldn't be worth it. And I got heat exhaustion, not heat stroke.

And no, the bus wasn't full. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathslayer7 View Post
    indeed. it alsmo might have been a different bus rather then the one you needed. Slim chance but still.
    No, it was the bus I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    For what it's worth, Cof, MTA hates me too, and I live 3000 miles away from them. That's how mean they are.

Clearly, Driver B was an absolute jackass for kicking you off the bus...but in defense of the Bus A that passed you, sometimes buses are too full to take on any more passengers. That may or may not have been his reason.

My suggestion? Get a bicycle! Those 10 miles will fly by, and you'll have a great time in the process. (OK, you might wait till the current heat wave ends before diving right in to that way of doing things...)
    I have a bike. There's no way I could have brought it there, much less ridden it in this heat. Thanks though.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-07-08 at 08:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

For those who don't know, the MTA is the head of public transportation in New York City. They also run some buses outside the city.

So after my internship today, I was taking the bus home by myself for the first time, since my parents were at the doctor. I thought that the bus I needed (Bus A) stopped right outside where I have the internship took me to the train station just a half-mile from home, but as I then learned, I had to take another bus (Bus B) that stopped, and then transfer to Bus A that I needed to get on.

I told the driver of Bus B and went to pay my fare...Only to learn that the Metrocard that my mom loaned me (I had used up mine) only had 20 cents left on it...And the bus fare is $2.25. In coins only. And I had dollar bills. I had to ask for change from the other passengers.

So the bus driver gives me my transfer ticket and kicks me off at the next stop. I'm waiting for 20 minutes in the sweltering heat (90 degrees Farenheit) and finally Bus A comes by...AND DRIVES RIGHT PAST ME! Bus A won't come by again for another 30 minutes, and I can't stay outside that long! 10 minutes later Bus B comes by, and the different driver is actually nice and agrees to take me to the end of the line for free, since the other guy kicked me off.

Now I'm about 5 blocks from a friend's house. I go there and ask for help. Unfortunately, she and her sister are unable to drive me home, and they have to go in a few minutes, but they are willing to let me sit and recover from the heat. We talk for a while, and then I have to go and find a way to get home.

Turns out that taking Bus A would be a waste of time, and the easiest way I can get home now is to walk home. For two miles. In 90 degree weather with a lot of humidity.

I just got home. What should have been a 15-minute trip took nearly 3 hours. And my parents have just come home. Next time, they're driving me back.

Poor Coffee! *hugs* Where I am (Quebec) it is, at the moment, unbearably hot, and NYC is even worse!!! .

If it makes you feel any better, I was almost kicked off a train for offering my friend my seat.

Here's the story:

I'm about to sit down when I see my friend was about to sit on the seat. I then offer him the seat and sit down on the other side. An Inspector (Dudes who patrol the seats and have a dislike for students) who espescially hates me and has a predilection for abusing his power over students tells me me and my friend were fighting and tells us to go into another cart and stay there. I calmly tell him we were not fighting and tell him I am goinfg to sit back down. When he tells me something to the effect of '' I don't want to hear it', I tell him a variation of my previous statement. He tells me then gets very mad at me and tells me to just go and sit over there, with some sarcastic comments mixed in. I tell him that I will do so, but that I would like to know his name, because I will be filing a complaint to the AMT. '' My name is your name '' he replies sarcastically, leading me into the next cart and telling me and my friend to stay there. My friend and I call the AMT and give them an account of the events, describing the inspector to the best of our ability. We never see him again.

My friend was given a 100+ $ fine for dropping a wrapper on the ground. She then picked it up, went to throw it out and was then fined.
    Last edited by Lord Loss; 2010-07-08 at 08:28 PM.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The MTA hates me too, son.
    The bus pasted me 8 times in my life.

YES I COUNTED!

I was waiting 30 minutes in 90 degree F weather today too.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

JW are you out past Flushing? That's the only place besides outside my school in the Bx that I've experienced ******* bus drivers.

Still, that sucks man. It could have been worse though, it could be late and you could be walking down Madison forever in -8 degree weather having left your coat at the party on the other side of the park wondering where the hell the 4 is (Lexington ave for those that don't know, 1 block over).
    Last edited by omglolnub; 2010-07-08 at 09:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
    JW are you out past Flushing? That's the only place besides outside my school in the Bx that I've experienced ******* bus drivers.

Still, that sucks man. It could have been worse though, it could be late and you could be walking down Madison forever in -8 degree weather having left your coat at the party on the other side of the park wondering where the hell the 4 is (Lexington ave for those that don't know, 1 block over).

Damn, that stinks.
    Once I got late to work because the bus drivers all decided to stop their buses because they were afraid of sliding on ice on a one way Brooklyn street. Wouldn't be too bad if they send buses to make a detour but Nooooooooooo.

I got a million stories, man.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Damn, that stinks.
    Once I got late to work because the bus drivers all decided to stop their buses because they were afraid of sliding on ice on a one way Brooklyn street. Wouldn't be too bad if they send buses to make a detour but Nooooooooooo.

I got a million stories, man.
    Urgh, that sucks. Sorry about that, guys.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the song helped. Thanks.
    Yay I helped!

Also, you were right about Toy story 3. It's awesome.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

One time, I was running to catch the subway (NYC) before it left and got my leg in from the knee down.

Pushed the door... No effect.

Pushed my leg to squeeze through... No effect.

Pull my leg to get out... No effect.

Well, I know there's a signal to let the driver know the door's not completely shut, they're not going to start moving while I'm stuck there, right?

Wrong. It starts moving.

Ok, so I've got a bit of distance before I hit the wall, and I know some people have held on in these doorways and survived before (because of an MTA ad not to do that.) I can get better leverage if I manage to break the window. I don't care about a few cuts right now, I care about not hitting the wall.

Before I start punching at the window though, it stops again, and the door opens briefly. I get on.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

23. - Top - End - #23

One time, I was running to catch the subway (NYC) before it left and got my leg in from the knee down.

Pushed the door... No effect.

Pushed my leg to squeeze through... No effect.

Pull my leg to get out... No effect.

Well, I know there's a signal to let the driver know the door's not completely shut, they're not going to start moving while I'm stuck there, right?

Wrong. It starts moving.

Ok, so I've got a bit of distance before I hit the wall, and I know some people have held on in these doorways and survived before (because of an MTA ad not to do that.) I can get better leverage if I manage to break the window. I don't care about a few cuts right now, I care about not hitting the wall.

Before I start punching at the window though, it stops again, and the door opens briefly. I get on.
    Holy crap.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy crap.
    There were at least a dozen pillars before the coming wall, and the subway only actually moved about a foot before stopping, so it wasn't too bad... But a nice jolt on my way to work to keep me awake for a while and give me a story to tell.

EDIT: Pillars as a unit of distance. The pillars wouldn't've hit me...
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-09 at 06:53 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

There were at least a dozen pillars before the coming wall, and the subway only actually moved about a foot before stopping, so it wasn't too bad... But a nice jolt on my way to work to keep me awake for a while and give me a story to tell.
    Yikes! My friend's hand was once caught in a train door, for 10 minutes no mittens at -20 degrees whilst the train moved very, very fast. He was lucky his hand didn't hit anything...
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Didn't you know already? Public Transport everywhere hates everybody.

Sometimes they just wait a bit before they crush your spirit.
    Zurich disagrees with you. Buses every eight minutes to everywhere you need to go. Trams ever ten minutes, trains every 15.

Also, mostly clean, reasonably priced, rarely delayed...

And really, really unfriendly personnel sometimes.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-07-09 at 06:55 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Zurich disagrees with you. Buses every eight minutes to everywhere you need to go. Trams ever ten minutes, trains every 15.

Agree with the last. Where I live, the trains are very very very often delayed by 15 minutes+. Sometimes the doors don't open at your stop.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

Yes, but Zurich is in Switzerland. The goats keep to a schedule there, and God help them if they break it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #29

Haven't seen a goat for years. They must be busy elsewhere, keeping their schedule

By the way, our airline was one of the most delayed ones worldwide for a while. Don't know if they still are.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

90 degree weather with a lot of humidity.
    Now I realize how great the internet is for putting things into perspective. You call this weather horrible. I call it completely average.

Last edited by KilltheToy; 2010-07-10 at 12:43 AM.
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.