New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: (Any) Your most annoying player...

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Bayaseda View Post
    I agree with Greenish. Having 30+ on a skill is a lot. It's above and beyond of what a normal person would be capable of. In fact, it's above and beyond of what a normal person would be capable of imagining. If he managed to get his skills so high, let him use it.
    [/SIZE]
    Plus it makes a crowd of commoners really good security measures. One of them is going to roll a natural 20. Or a crowd of 1 hd skeletons for a necromancer.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Sir, you have made my day. That was indeed an awesome image. Mind if I sig?
    Absolutely! If my words can bring pleasure to the masses, who am I to stop it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marriclay View Post
    I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome.

<snip>
    Also in the background was this...

(Note: It's ALWAYS in the background of nerd duels.)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    It is a pretty common housrule (IME) that natural 20 is an automatic success in all rolls
    In my group, a Nat 20 on skills is treated as 30, and Nat 1 is -10. Keeps people from rolling till they find a 20, but keeps the feeling that sometimes you can do really difficult things, or fumble at something you are (moderatly) well trained at.
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Ah, so you have heard of NAHA, the National Airborne Halfling Administration.
    "Don't Jump to the Moon, Kids!"
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say that the worst "brand" of players I get are ones who simply do not understand how things work.
    I don't cater to these people since I don't allow complaining or upsets to chance the course of a game.

But seriously, get your players together and go off on some real life adventures, camping or something, to at least make sure you guys work together as a team and that your players start to get a sense of which way is up and how heavy a backpack is =P

Seems like all this mmorpg nonsense is messing with people's noodles.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    That leads to many absurd situations though. Taking 20 means you auto-succeed at pretty much anything, for example. A halfling with -5 Jump can keep trying and eventually Jump to the moon with this houserule.
    Well, the house rule doesn't allow for such ridiculous things such as jumping to the moon, but otherwise yes.

And I am definetly going to suggest treating nat 20 as 30 and nat 1 as -10 the next time we play, seems more reasonable
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    But seriously, get your players together and go off on some real life adventures, camping or something, to at least make sure you guys work together as a team and that your players start to get a sense of which way is up and how heavy a backpack is =P
    When going camping, always remember to pack a mallet and a plastic sheet, so you can kill and dispose of the person who suggested going camping.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    When going camping, always remember to pack a mallet and a plastic sheet, so you can kill and dispose of the person who suggested going camping.
    Camping is fun until you run out of alcohol.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

Sorry.. Guess I didn't mention.

Level 10 characters and level 10 NPCs, I give random NPCs 1 rank for every level they have.

The houserule we roll with is a natural 20 is treated as a 25, as opposed to an auto-success. Precisely because we don't think a Commoner should hear the God of Stealth on a natural 20, yet we still wanted to show a 'perfect' skillcheck for PC/npcs
    This has lasted through 3 DMs, and about 5 years of play.

Guess I should have clarified.
    Last edited by Jeff240sx; 2010-06-01 at 07:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff240sx View Post

Level 10 characters and level 10 NPCs, I give random NPCs 1 rank for every level they have.

The houserule we roll with is a natural 20 is treated as a 25, as opposed to an auto-success a 20. Precisely because we don't think a Commoner should hear the God of Stealth on a natural 20, yet we still wanted to show a 'perfect' skillcheck for PC/npcs

Fixed it for you.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

The houserule we roll with is a natural 20 is treated as a 25, as opposed to an auto-success. Precisely because we don't think a Commoner should hear the God of Stealth on a natural 20, yet we still wanted to show a 'perfect' skillcheck for PC/npcs

Hmm, so all your NPCs have just about maxed listen/spot, and your rogue is feeling that you won't let him do roguey stuff… might there be a connection, somewhere?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Hmm, so all your NPCs have just about maxed listen/spot, and your rogue is feeling that you won't let him do roguey stuff… might there be a connection, somewhere?
    Yea.. when they're *guards* and their job is to *guard* things.. listen/spot are great to have. Especially at level 10.

I skipped out on the Aid Another cheese, feat cheese, item cheese, and everything else. Level 10 guard? 10 ranks in guard-type skillchecks.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

My worst player is definitely my cousin. His two annoying tendancies include getting bored with a character and making a new one midway through the campaign, and doing suicidally irrational things. For example:

In one incident, the party was hunting for an evil Druid in a cave, that had been sending wolves to attack travelers. While searching the cave, he comes across a sleeping bear. Being a Level 1 character, he does to obvious thing: he attacks the bear.

Long story short, TPK within 5 rounds.

In a different campaign, he was wandering the streets of a large city doing god-knows-what, when on a whim he decides to tackle a random passerby. Naturally, a guard comes to arrest him for assault, and he runs, resulting in a rooftop chase that ends with the guard missing a leap across an alleyway and breaking his leg. The player heads back to the inn and calls it a night.

The next morning, he realizes that he's almost certaintly got wanted posters of him out by now. Fortunately due to the way his character was designed, he wore a horned tribal mask at all times. He gets the brilliant idea to simply not wear it on his face, and he's home free, since it was dark at the time of the chase and that was by far his most identifiying feature.

Unfortunately, where does he hide the mask? On his shoulder, hidden under his cloak. The horns show up pretty obviously and when the guards seach him its found and he's arrested. As a direct result he's in prison for the entire duration of the first quest and an extremely important piece of exposition.

Those are the two most obvious incidents from my DMing sessions, but his brother often DMs for us as well, so I'll see if I can remember any incidents from that.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

15. - Top - End - #45

You're so right... it must be horrible to have things with less-than max ranks, no WIS bonus, no synergy bonus, no bonuses at all,
    versus
    Rogue with +6 DEX, +13 ranks, +feat/class/item/synergy boosts.

Yea, when he rolls a 4 or 8 or whatever it was, with a ton of boosts, against a Nat20 (25) + level in ranks, I don't feel bad at all about it.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Camping is fun until you run out of alcohol.
    With enough alcohol anything can be fun. I wonder how many vodka shots it takes to enjoy having your tooth trilled. (Just pray the dentist is sober.)

You're so right... it must be horrible to have things with less-than max ranks, no WIS bonus, no synergy bonus, no bonuses at all,
    versus

Yea, when he rolls a 4 or 8 or whatever it was, with a ton of boosts, against a Nat20 (25) + level in ranks, I don't feel bad at all about it.
    But as others have pointed out, your maths was off. 20 guards do not have a 50% chance of rolling one 20.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-06-01 at 07:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The players in my old Star Wars game kept trying to capture or kidnap the plot-important NPCs that they were supposed to be investigating covertly.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    For example:

In one incident, the party was hunting for an evil Druid in a cave, that had been sending wolves to attack travelers. While searching the cave, he comes across a sleeping bear. Being a Level 1 character, he does to obvious thing: he attacks the bear.

Long story short, TPK within 5 rounds.
    LOL! I know a party (mine!) who will find a caster for their True Resurrection - and then debate killing him in order to get their money back. I'm like "Guys! What level spell did you just buy??"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

versus

Actually, Aid Another cheese is very close to what you actually did. You skipped rolling individual checks for the guards (which they were unlikely to succeed on) and rolled one super-check for the entire group (which was much more likely to succeed). For that matter, you misinterpreted statistics - 10 guards each with a 5% chance of success is a little bit higher than 40% chance to get a 20 (40.13% specifically), not 50%.

So, the end point is that you did give him the short end of the stick, both mathematically and logically. If that was the only time you did so, and he proceeded to passive-aggressive-retaliate for every other rogue-related task through the game, he still belongs here. But he did have a reasonable beef for the first incident.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-06-01 at 07:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

But as others have pointed out, your maths was off. 20 guards do not have a 50% chance of rolling one 20.
    ... good thing I rolled 10d20 rather than 1d2?

WTF is the point of correcting my quick-and-easy math?

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Actually, Aid Another cheese is very close to what you actually did. You skipped rolling individual checks for the guards (which they were unlikely to succeed on) and rolled one super-check for the entire group (which was much more likely to succeed). For that matter, you misinterpreted statistics - 10 guards each with a 5% chance of success is a little bit higher than 40% chance to get a 20 (40.13% specifically), not 50%.

Dude? Where the hell are you getting this from?

That was my EXPLAINATION! Not my METHOD!

Was I *that bad* in conveying what I did vs said?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

... good thing I rolled 10d20 rather than 1d2?
    Okay, it just sounded like you did the latter.

WTF is the point of correcting my quick-and-easy math?
    Just pointing out what appeared to be flawed.

By saying 50% you implied that was how you calculated it.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-06-01 at 07:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can 100% support this as my dnd group decided to go camping last week.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

I'm always afraid that I'm this person to other people.

My most annoying player asks for really unreasonable stuff. I don't even remember exactly what but it was really broken for 4e.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-01 at 07:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lyko555 View Post
    I can 100% support this as my dnd group decided to go camping last week.
    I actually quite like doing this. Though I might be one of those crazy guys (no, really?) that actually enjoys camping. As long as you don't get smoke up your eyes, the scenery is awesome for setting the mood for a campaign.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

26. - Top - End - #56
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Dude? Where the hell are you getting this from?

That was my EXPLAINATION! Not my METHOD!

Apparently so, considering at least two or three other people in this thread also interpreted what you said the exact same way I did.

This is the internet. You've been criticized. It's not the end of the world.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel View Post
    Those are great, you should vent some more and give us a good time with your prose.

Anyway, yes, I have one of those and he drives me crazy as I am the DM in that game right now. He is the opposite of your guy, however.

He metagames all the time and expects the other characters to things for him (or even like him) when he rarely reciprocates. He builds what seem to be optimized characters but he does not fully understand the rules so he stacks stuff that shouldn't stack, etc. When we get to the game, he seems to make every save and his attacks seem to get better on his multiple attacks even with the resulting -5 to each consecutive attack.

In a nutshell, he can be very frustrating but we have endured up until now and may continue to endure for some time. So we all have those types, just practice patience is my advice.
    I've got this one too. He makes characters who are completely unreasonable and believe they are right in all things. Generally they have one really defining feature: either hating whoever or whatever killed him last or hating the party leader. Further they try to be the most important thing going on all the time. They almost always have very high stats, lots of magic items (cause he's making new characters so I let him have his full wealth, oddly the party almost never loots his corpse). I am certain he fudges rolls often but don't care because he is so ineffective. He dies a lot (not always by my hand), though sometimes the characters leave for stupid reasons. Usually because he does something incredibly stupid. These are all the same game. All the same player. The other players collectively have died or changed characters as much as him...maybe less. The player is male but most of the character are female and elves.

Angela the Crusader
    Spoiler
    Show
    He was once killed by level 1 guards (five of them, the basic ones in Cityscape) while he was a level 5 crusader. The reason for the battle? They wanted to confiscate his weapons (none of which were magic) after he ran through the streets threatening another PC. It took only three rounds. It was also the second or third time I had killed him in a game with enemies he totally outclassed thus some of the players started taking bets on how long he would last.

Bard whose name I forgot
    Spoiler
    Show
    His next character was a member of the minority he knew some of the PCs were violently opposed to, died the next session (beaten to death in the night after allowing himself to knocked unconscious). He faked sleeping and was then knocked out without a fight by one PC (an evil slaver, whose boss will appear later) and then beaten to death by another PC (who eventually became one the main villains).

...I don't have the character sheets with me as I type this
    Spoiler
    Show
    Next was an elven Paladin with a 9 constitution but still had hit points comparable to the warblade, melted by a black dragon. I was rather annoyed when I did the math on the character and realized he couldn't have rolled lower than 8 on any of his 8 or 9 levels, which would have been excusable if every single character (of his) had ridiculous stats.

Vanera, this one is long, also longest running character
    Spoiler
    Show
    The next character was brutally enslaved by slavers after failing to get all the hints he was picking a fight far out of his league (rendered unconscious with a chicken leg). She had a revenge subplot which I think was supposed to give him a whole self-righteous high as he completed it in an epic battle but I looked at the circumstances and elected to go the morally ambiguous road (the circle of revenge is sort of a theme as is that damage it does in my games). I put the character she was hunting in a war camp the party was going to expecting (given the player) that he would run into the character and immediately kill him.
    Instead she started to question the righteousness of the whole party's quest (ready the great empire for war against the evil goddess in the south) and wanted to find out how to contact said goddess and get her side. The earlier mentioned slaver PC (who was only slightly subtle about his evil at this point cause the party felt they needed him, his manipulations not mine) secretly worked for another (and actually evil) god and captured and executed her, after questioning her (the player was trying to find a reason to not kill her, he had no sense motive). I then revealed that the revenge subplot was supposed to be wrapped up in the war camp, four hours of in game travel away the party collectively asked me to move the interrogation to the next night so the subplot could be finished.
    This was fantastic I thought so they went on to the war camp. Vanera hunts down the blacksmith expecting an epic battle only to find...a blacksmith. Further he didn't deny doing the deed but went further and justified it saying that Vanera's master had killed his father (all over an artifact sword the party would fetch later and for completely different reasons). Suddenly Vanera decides that she must know the truth and marches out of the tent and grabs...some kid (his decision was to grab some kid and have them find the party bard for some reason). Soldiers in the camp did not take kindly to someone doing this and while the players were gearing up to see Angela 2.0 (epic mooks as they call them) the evil slaver stepped in and brought Vanera to see his (very, very dangerous) boss. This character attempts to have a conversation with her only to be eventually attacked. The slaver boss knocks her out and decides that she would make a good slave. Recently the character was killed ironically by the artifact sword which started the whole thing (wielded by the character she lost her powers for attacking no less) then used as a shield to close the distance with the slaver boss (which ultimately killed him, stupid archers in melee).

...Yeah there are more
    Spoiler
    Show
    The next character a cleric of Athena hunted down the party looking for the father of her child. The party's cleric of Dionysus was the father (the player was not entirely comfortable with this idea at first, the Dionysus cleric's player I mean). This character lasted a couple sessions, long enough for two of the party members to betray the party for their own reasons. Then she gave custody of her daughter to a powerful anarchist who she had known for about 6 hours (5 of which she was sleeping). The other party members game the player grief about it because it made even less sense in context. Then she went on to loss much of her powers for trying to kill another party member who she disliked because he made fun of her, the combination of these circumstances made the character leave to find her daughter again. Did I mention that she had a really creepy stalker...I want to say subtext but it really wasn't subtle.

Dervish who came out of nowhere and made no sense
    Spoiler
    Show
    Next, was a dervish who dedicated herself to a "god" (one of the party members who may or may not be a god) of peace and community, with no prompting and confusing the heck out of the whole party as she was very violent. When her village was met with destruction and it was blamed indirectly on the "god" character turned to the bad guys and gained superpowers to defeat him. She utterly failed, instead loosing all her weapons as they broke upon his vow of peace and was taken in by a goddess who said she would help her recover from her corruption. He elected not to play the character after that.

And now for Evil
    Spoiler
    Show
    Next was an evil paladin who wanted only power and murder. He quickly drew the ire of the characters (if for no other reason that trying to pick a fight with a really powerful and really well liked NPC) and got his arm burned off by an artifact. The aforementioned goddess gave him a new arm which he could only use while doing righteous deeds (defending his allies counted). He ended up mind controlled (by one of the main bad guys) and killed by the eternal blade and rogue.

The Druid (don't remember the name too short lived)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The next character was a druid who appeared and as her opening act had her snake animal companion bite a prisoner who grabbed her with venomfire. This one I admit made me angry as I observe some basic edict. You don't pull out the super spells and neither will I. I won't use death magic until the party does for instance (well main villains do cause their jerks). I had already decided that this particular prisoner was very powerful and had only been imprisoned by prophesying the danger he posed in the first place. He died soon after this encounter. In my defense the character who actually killed him (former PC who became evil, the one who beat the Bard to death actually and earlier mentioned warblade) was explicitly stated to have been hunting druids to make the party druid suffer knowing that it was her fault.

His deaths have actually become a joke in our group. My players quickly learn that NPCs are people too, he has not.
    I also think I should take a moment to note that I don't hate this guy. I am merely annoyed when he sucks up huge amounts of time over very minor things.
    Last edited by Zanatos777; 2010-07-12 at 07:47 AM.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    I really haven't. The players quickly move to the tavern after the campaign starts but they never start there. Even the three which have taken place in a city.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

If your group can't have fun just adventuring even in tough times, seek better friends.
    Also, there are always better friends.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    If your group can't have fun just adventuring even in tough times, seek better friends.
    Also, there are always better friends.
    I actually don't mind camping, as long as I have something to write with, I was just quoting 8 out of 10 cats.

I have some fond memories of camping with my GCSE class. Nastasja, who brought her credit card, triped over a the tent cabals twice and swore she would not use the toilet until she got home. Even better, Dijana, who wanted to bring her hair dryer (when asked where she would plug it in, answered "I don't care, but I need to have it"), left the tent flap open with a half eaten choclate bar at the entrance, then was startled by the ants and when asked her mother to take her home, her mother responded "Sure thing sweetie, what is gthe name of the hotel are you in?" (the mother than then sent Dijana's baby sitter on the 1.5 hour car drive to pick her up).
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-06-01 at 08:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I had a player who actually tried to sneak Pun-Pun into my game. Problem was, nobody in our group was much of an optimizer, and I had no reason to suspect shenanigans. He told me he was playing a Kobold sorcerer, and I took this at face value (stupid me ). That was fun.

He was a massive optimizer in a game where nobody really optimized much beyond getting some minor synergies between classes. On top of that, he always argued over any rule that he didn't like. It didn't matter if it was RAW or RAI or a houserule or anything. If what I was doing wasn't beneficial to him, he'd argue. If I went against RAW, he'd use RAW against me. If I went with RAW or RAI and it was detrimental to him, he'd argue "That's stupid, the rules are wrong, it should be like this."

Very frustrating individual.
    Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
    In the forests of the night;
    What immortal hand or eye,
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

-excerpt from "The Tyger" by William Blake