New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default World Map makers?

Does anyone know any good programs for creating some good-looking, attractive world maps for your campaign? I've looked around, but I can't find anything that's free and doesn't require all sorts of other programs to work well. What do you use to make world maps, besides just pen & paper? Examples of maps would be appreciated. If it helps, I do own a wacom bamboo tablet, but i tend to prefer to draw on paper so i don't have any graphics programs to support it.
    My wonderful Koala avatar was made by Xandar Morhaime. Thanks, Xandar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: World Map makers?

What I think is, look at the map for the Western Continent and crib the style, using Inkscape or something similar; it's simple (for ease of production), clean (for information), and pretty (the quintessential element!), possibly one of the prettiest things I've ever seen in OotS.

Here's a quick sketch with shamelessly trying to rip off the style in a very incomplete world cultures expies type of world map:
    Spoiler
    Show

You could then make appropriately-styled little icons (for castles and cities and such) and just copy-paste them everywhere.

But yeah I suggest Inkscape; since it saves as a vector, you can zoom in a lot and do the nitty-gritty of a region and zoom out for the rough outline of continents and stuff; if you're masochistic you can zoom in to the details of a room but that's like, silly.
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2012-08-12 at 03:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I tend to just start with a random map generator, like this one, and then make changes as I see fit using image editing programs.
    Last edited by DonQuixote; 2012-08-12 at 03:53 PM.
    Homebrew I've written. Includes an entire index of the spellshaping materials, as well as a few other tidbits I've done.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, i just buckled down and downloaded the GIMP, and I'm wrestling with it to try to make a nice looking sort of map. Also joined a forum specificly for map-making. Thanks for the suggestions though!
    My wonderful Koala avatar was made by Xandar Morhaime. Thanks, Xandar!