New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

When I'm involved, death only sticks when I'm dealing it.

My IC persona runs a harem outside the realms of mortality. (arches eyebrow questioningly)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

Whoever said that Kurama is going to die? I think he'll live.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

Oh come on, we all know he'll appear to die then come back somehow (actually dead or not).
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 34
    -Cast-
    Mangosta
    Kurama

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurama watched the Demon King in front of him. His mind working furiously to figure out a way past him. He looked over behind him at the form of Viola, before turning to look back at Mangosta. He then makes a dash straight for the Demon King.

Mangosta grinned an entertained grin and swung his arm down at Kurama. Kurama quickly jumped back just as the hand crashed into the floor, kicking up a lot of dust. Kurama then tried to run around the Mangosta. However, Mangosta was already right on top of him, reaching for him with his other hand.

Kurama slid down onto his back to avoid the large claw like hand reaching for him. He rolled to his feet and managed to get past Mangosta. His victory was short lived as the great form of Mangosta flew over and landed right in front of him. In an instant, the foot of Mangosta kicked him 25 feet away, having him sliding into a pillar.

He took a moment to regain his breath, before he got to his feet again. He saw Mangosta approach him slowly and deliberately.
    "You paladins think its so easy to get around someone that's almost three times bigger than you. Viola tried to slip past when I cornered her. Heck, even Grim tried it and failed when he was "Showing off" his new crystal's power. You're actually really disappointing me. Disappointing me so much that I may forget about keeping you as a pet as well."
    Mangosta was nearly upon him. Kurama looked down at the stone chair behind the Demon King. He knew the demon was right, that he would never get past him by trying to slip by. Then an idea formed in Kurama's head.

Kurama gripped his sword tightly, feeling an intense cold form over it. He then charged forward, as if to slip between the Demon King's legs. Mangosta practically made a sigh as he took a step back and threw his hand to intercept Kurama. Ready, Kurama then darted aside as the hand smashed into the ground. However, instead of trying to slip past the Demon King again, he instead dove over to the hand. He stabbed his sword into the Demon King's hand at point. Just like with the other demon's, the ice made enough of a slice to allow the rest of the sword to slide inside.

Kurama then pressed his free hand down onto Mangosta's hand and concentrated as hard as he can. He felt the cold flow out from his hand and sword, freezing the hand of the Demon King. He barred his teeth with effort but felt the progress he was making as the ice was spreading up the Demon King's arm.

Then, the Demon King seemed to be aware of what was happening as he suddenly jerked his arm up. Caught by surprise, Kurama just managed to hold onto his sword, still nestled into the hand of the Demon King. With and almighty heave, he pushed off with his feet and dislodged the sword from the froze solid hand. He fell 5 feet to the ground onto his back and slowly got up to look at what he had done.

Mangosta was looking at his arm, frozen all the way to the elbow. The look on his face was no longer amusement, but mild surprise. Cold hard calculated thinking soon replaced this emotion on his face as the Demon King tried to scrape off the ice with his other hand. Kurama smiled as he got to his feet.
    "I wouldn't do that if I were you. The other demon's I fought had the frozen limbs break off completely when they tried to get the ice off."

Mangosta stopped scratching at the ice and looked down at Kurama, calculating.
    "Really? Well that changes everything. Thanks for letting me know."
    Suddenly, the Demon king swung his frozen arm into a pillar with an almighty force. The arm shattered into a million pieces that scattered across the floor. Kurama stared, dumbstruck at what the Demon King did to his own arm. Then his surprise increases as skin, flesh, bone, and a black blood suddenly flowed out from where his arm cut off. Quickly, these things formed a brand new arm, exactly as it was before Kurama had frozen it. Mangosta flexed this arm testing it, before turning back to him.
    "Nice, isn't it? The fiery crown above my head grants me fast regenerative powers. So fixing my frost bitten hand was no problem."

Kurama twitched with shock. What was he going to do now? His eyes looked up at the fiery crown floating between the Demon King's horns. If he removed the crown, could he possibly take down the Demon King that way? Only way to find out is try. He took a stance, ready for the Demon King.
    "Come on then. Lets get this fight going."

Mangosta raised an eyebrow.
    "You sound confident. Oh well, fine by me."
    He charged forward.

Kurama turned and ran, his hand gripped tightly over his sword. He could feel the Demon King catching up to him as he ran. He waited for him to come close enough before he suddenly turned and leapt forward toward Mangosta. He swung his sword at Mangosta's right leg, causing a small wound before it sealed up quickly. Mangosta however flinched, allowing Kurama to jump around him and planting his sword into Mangosta's wing, freezing it. The sudden amount of weight caused the Demon King lose his balance and fall over onto his back. As the Demon King quickly tried to get back up, Kurama leapt up onto Mangosta's head. Using his curved horns as support, he raised his sword high into the air.
    "It's time to even out the fight!"
    He swung the sword down as hard as he could into the crown of fire and... it just passed right through it, hitting one of the horns as it did so. Kurama just froze in place, looking stupidly at the fiery crown just floating there in front of him. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw one of Mangosta's claw-like hands raise up to him. With a flick of the index, Kurama was launched off the head of the Demon King and flew across the floor before skidding to a halt once again.

The Demon King got up and turned to face Kurama, who was looking back at him exasperated.
    "Seriously... that was your best shot?"
    The Demon King then struck his frozen wing, shattering it like his arm. Quickly, it too also regrew back.
    "The Demon King's crown can not be removed except by the wearer. A King is not allowed to go into battle to fight along side his minions. Such a manner is considered highly improper. When a king tires of his reign, he presents it to another Demon to take over and start a new reign. This is usually done before a great battle, so the retired King may fight to his hearts content and die honorably on the battlefield."
    Mangosta slowly approaches him. Kurama slumps his shoulders and looks down at his feet. Nothing he can do can stop the Demon King. He had failed. Mangosta stands right over him.
    "Well then, I think this little game is over."
    Kurama thought about Mordokai and everyone back at the academy. All preparing for the demon invasion they could not win against.
    "You know, I actually quite enjoyed that. Being King, its kind of hard to restrain yourself from fighting. But you did me a favor on allowing me to remember the good times."
    All the innocent lives. How everyone was going to die. He had failed them all.
    "Now then, I think I'm just going to kill you here. Now that I think about it, one pet should do."
    Mangosta raised his hand up in the air, poised to strike. Kurama however looked over to Viola when Mangosta talked about her. He failed her as well. Failed to free her from the Demon King. She was going to spend the rest of her life down here in this realm, constantly thinking about being the last human alive...

Kurama's heart beat once. Then the hand of Mangosta swung down with an all crushing force on top of Kurama.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-26 at 12:56 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

darn, lost the bet that everyone will live.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Paladin Academy: Part 34
    Mangosta was nearly upon him. Kurama looked down at the stone chair behind the Demon King. He new the demon was right, that he would never get past him by trying to slip by. Then an idea formed in Kurama's head.
    I don't think that's the right word...

Other than that, great story. But we still have not killed off Kurama yet. He didn't necessarily die from the blow.

He's still going to die, though.

That, or perfect his ultimate technique or something.

And then die after that.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

7. - Top - End - #457
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am in no way dead. You know why? Cuz if I am, than there is no one who can do anything at all. The Paladins have no chance without Viola, an without me, Viola can't get her crystal back.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

good, I might win the bet yet! [/is pretending to care only about the bet that everyone will live]
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2010-09-04 at 11:52 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    I don't think that's the right word...

Other than that, great story. But we still have not killed off Kurama yet. He didn't necessarily die from the blow.

He's still going to die, though.

That, or perfect his ultimate technique or something.

And then die after that.
    Thank you for pointing that out.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

D'aww, poor dead Kurama. But maybe he'll blow up Mangosta with his ultimate technique first.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

If he does die- and I'm not saying I think Kurama will. Hewill definitely unlock his ultimate attack. The other option is that Viola will have got her sword back and the two of them take on The Demon King.
    Another good read Silver Raptor- ta!

12. - Top - End - #462

Wow, that's pretty mature for a story. Personally I think this will allow many more chances for Viola to evolve as a character, or perhaps give Kurama a new look at live if he survives (or is brought back to life). A wonderful work Silver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

13. - Top - End - #463

Awwww... I really hope I don't die like you did Silver, old partner, old buddy, old pal.
    Last edited by Viera Champion; 2010-09-06 at 06:16 AM.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #464

Wow! Why the name change?
    V-I get on maybe once or twice a week. Forgive me.
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2010-09-10 at 07:49 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    Wow! Why the name change?
    It took you this long to notice?
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466

FINISH HIM!

I could not have stopped myself for all the updates in the world. I regret nothing.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 35
    -Cast-
    Penny
    Blue
    Mordokai
    Kurama
    Mangosta

Spoiler
    Show
    Penny ascended the stairs up to Blue's tower for like, the millionth time. He was a powerful wizard, right? Why couldn't he invent a spell that lowered the crates down on their own? That way she didn't have to keep walking up the tower all the time. She looked up at a flock of birds flying overhead in a V-shape formation. Flying would be pretty cool too.

She regained her sense of reality as she came up to Blue's door. She breathed heavily once, before opening it yet again that day. Inside, Blue was sitting alone, studying a large cauldron. However, he turned around as she entered.
    "Ah, Penny! Good. That crate right there is the last one you'll need to take down. After that, you'll need to unpack and distribute the potions to all the other paladins."

Penny looked over at the crate and sighed in exasperation and relief.
    "Okay. As long as this is the last one."
    She bent down to pick it up.
    "How's it going by the way?"

"Slow. Grim's thoughts are more of a maze than the Academy's corridors. And it almost seems like there is something blocking me from reaching further into his psyche."

She hoists up the crate with quite a bit of effort.
    "Oh well. I hope you figure it all out. We'll probably need it."
    Blue nodded as he turned back to his cauldron.Penny turned to leave, but before she could get halfway to the door, it opened on its own.
    "Oh. Mordokai... Hi."

Blue didn't look up, but instead lowered his head a little.
    "I told you Mordokai. A watched pot doesn't boil-"

Mordokai cut him off angrily.
    "I'm not here for an update, Blue! Where the hell is Kurama?!"

Both Blue and Penny looked up at Mordokai. Penny had half forgotten about the crate of potions in her hand. Blue's glowing yellow glowing eyes blinked once.
    "Kurama? I would have no idea."

Mordokai crossed the room to stand next to Blue.
    "Find him! I can't locate him anywhere in the academy!"

Blue stared at Mordokai for a second before turning back to the cauldron. He waved his hand over the cauldron while muttering incomprehensible words. Penny was still rooted to the spot, listening. Blue than looked back up at Mordokai.
    "I... I don't know. There seems to be no trace of the ice cube anywhere. It appears he had just melted and evaporated away."

Mordokai gave a large angry sigh before rubbing his eyes with his fingers from stress. Finally he spoke.
    "Penny. Please do your duty. We need those potions distributed."

Penny nearly jumped with surprise.
    "Oh... right!"
    She hurried out the door and down the stairs. Although, after a short while, her pace slowed as she became deep in thought. Where was Kurama? He wouldn't skip out on his duties, would he? No. Kurama wouldn't avoid responsibility like that. Did something happen to him?

She reached the bottom of the stairs, but she still continued on deep in thought. She was thinking back to the conversation they had earlier.

"And what about Viola? Don't you care about her?"

"Of course I do, Kurama."
    She spoke out to no one in particular. Fortunately, there was no one around to hear her. "But... We all have our own set of responsibilities. So where-"
    Her foot froze in mid step. Her eyes widened with realization.
    "You...You didn't go after her... did you?! Why did you do that Kurama?"
    She paused for only a moment, before she continued forward. After placing down the crate, she opened the other crates dejectedly. She wondered if Kurama would really take off like that? Her question was answered a second later as she lifted one of the crate lids to find a potion was missing. She looked up towards the smashed open front door of the Academy.
    "Kurama..."
    She continued to stare at the gate.
    "...just... just be careful. If the demons don't kill you, Mordokai probably will."
    She continued to watch, anxiously.

A thick blanket of deep, bone chilling mist had risen in the air. The gigantic form of Mangosta stood there, watching the mist surprised. His hand was submerged in the mist and he could feel the cold lick his skin. However, that was not what had surprised him. His hand had hit something hard sooner than expected. Suddenly, Mangosta drew his hand back with a yelp of pain. His hand revealed several pricks with the black blood flowing from them. The wounds healed quickly and Mangosta watched as the mist dispersed.

Inside the mist, a large ice half-dome had appeared over where Kurama was. Large spikes had appeared over the surface. Some were slightly melting from the hot black blood. The dome glowed a vibrant blue from something moving inside. Kurama then emerged from around the end of the dome. The crystal in his sword was glowing brilliantly with many different blue hues of color. Kurama didn't fully register everything around him and what just happened. His mind was focusing on what a mystical version of his voice had said to him in his mind.

"Bonds"

He now understood what the crystal was telling him. In the instant that he looked at Viola, a realization had flooded through him. Keeping no one close to you was doing you no favor. It didn't keep you from getting lost. It kept you from finding the things that truly mattered.

Mangosta's voice shouted out with anger and surprise.
    "What is this?! Some hidden ability you were hiding from me?! If you could freeze the air, why didn't you do so earlier?! Are all you paladins this arrogant?!"

Kurama gripped his sword tighter with anger. He slowly turned to face the Demon King head on.
    "No. I didn't have this power a moment ago, and right now, I don't care that I suddenly have it now. The only thing I want to do now is defeat you!"
    A cold chilly mist seemed to emanate from him. He held his sword up, ready to fight. His voice increased in volume with every word to match his anger.
    "I can't die here! I will not allow Viola to live alone as some pet to you! I will protect my partner!!"

Mangosta tilted his head sideways a little at the new development. The human that now stood before him wasn't the same human he was fighting earlier. Something about him had changed...
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-26 at 01:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

For those of you who said they never liked how Jedi couldn't form attachments, I just want to say, so do I. Not forming attachments actually looks more like a weakness to me. Anyways, enjoy the latest part.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-09-08 at 11:10 AM.

19. - Top - End - #469

Whats the betting Kurama dies anyway
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Well someone's earned their power up theme.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

21. - Top - End - #471

Griffon

Woohoo! Go Kurama Go!

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

GO KURAMA GO! YES!

Also hee. Someone saw that coming. XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

23. - Top - End - #473

He now understood what the cyrystal was telling him. In the instant that he looked a Viola, a realization had flooded through him. Keeping no one close to you was doing you no favor. It didn't keep you from getting lost. It kept you from finding the things that truly mattered.

Mangosta's voice shouted out with anger and suprise.
    "What is this?! Some hidden ability you were hidding from me?! If you could freeze the air, why didn't you do so earlier?! Are all you paladin's this arogant?!"
    Should be 'crystal', 'at', 'surprise', 'hiding', 'paladins', and 'arrogant', respectively.

For those of you who said they never liked how Jedi couldn't form attachments, I just want to say, so do I. Not forming attachments actually looks more like a weakness to me. Anyways, enjoy the latest part.
    You know, there were these people called Sith who thought the same way.

But this is shiny idealistic story, so I won't argue it further.

And yes, Lix was right.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2010-09-08 at 04:08 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #474

I did too... kinda...

ninja'd.

But still. I'm rooting for Mangosta, here.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-09-08 at 04:11 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    And yes, Lix was right.
    Oh, it wasn't me. I thought he was screwed. In the bad way. XD

26. - Top - End - #476

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Oh, it wasn't me. I thought he was screwed. In the bad way. XD
    You say that like there's a good way.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

I was really hoping he would get a tragic, wasteful death. Something that would cement my role as a villain. Frankly, I'm not getting an evil vibe out of the demons at this point.
    Was I ever this naive?
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2010-09-08 at 04:26 PM.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Um.
    I'm gonna let that pass.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Should be 'crystal', 'at', 'surprise', 'hiding', 'paladins', and 'arrogant', respectively.
    Thank you. I did this quickly before class and didn't have time to spell check myself.

You know, there were these people called Sith who thought the same way.

But this is shiny idealistic story, so I won't argue it further.

And yes, Lix was right.
    What I hated about the star wars thing is that there was either the sith way or the jedi way. No middle ground. Well, why can't someone be good yet still be able to form attachments? And what about Luke? His care for his father brought him back from the dark side. Same for Vader, his father instincts lead to the death of the emperor.

Anyways, that's enough star wars from me. Onto the story.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

If you go into the EU, Luke even gets married and has kids. Pretty sure he never goes Dark Side. So that whole bit of the Jedi code is completely meaningless.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.