New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

Reforming one part is a leeetle harder than complete reconstitution of an utterly shattered physique. XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 39
    -Cast-
    Rabbit
    Mordokai
    Viola
    Kurama

Spoiler
    Show
    The shadows on the ground slowly continued to grow larger as the sun declined. Rabbit just finished helping some paladins perfect their barricades, even though there was much groaning from it. She went to get a quick drink of water and rest for a moment, before she would start getting her own armor on. As she was drinking, she noticed Mordokai coming up to her. She quickly composed herself as he approached.
    "Yes sir? What is it?"

Mordokai stopped just before her and looked out at the paladins throughout the training grounds.
    "Where was the last time you saw Bis or Penny?"

Rabbit raised an eyebrow before gesturing up onto the wall.
    "Bis is up there, to give us an advance warning should the demons attack early. As for Penny, she was handing out Blue's potions to everyone about twenty minutes ago. I saw her going up stairs after that."

Mordokai nodded and continued to look around.
    "Good. Penny is too small to really be able to help with this. If you see her, tell her to stay out of the way and out of the fight."

Rabbit nodded.
    "Don't worry. I gave her explicit instructions on that this morning."

"Good. If you see her again, send her up to Blue. He will be locking himself up in his tower during the fight because of his... affliction."

Rabbit looked up at the tower of the wizard.
    "Perhaps it would be a good idea to get him out of here entirely."

"Blue has ways of escaping. He's here to see the outcome of the fight. Should we fail, he will quickly inform all the nations of the demon army. Anyways, we best get ready. The sun is close to setting."
    He begins to turn and leave.

"One more thing, sir. What about Grim?"

Mordokai stops and turns around.
    "Grim is still locked up in interrogation room. I don't think he will provide much of a threat to us while he's there."

And with that, Mordokai turned and left.

The great colossal stone chamber was deadly quiet. Light flickered and dance across the walls and floor from a small burning fire. Light sparkled across the floor as it wast reflected off shattered ice. The shard and fragments of the Demon King were a tribute to the mighty Mangosta. At least... they were a tribute, until a faint noise began to emanate from the ice, and the fiery crown began to float into the air once more...

Despite their ease getting in, getting out undetected was proving difficult for Kurama and Viola. Currently, they were hiding out in a hallowed spot hidden from view, waiting for several demons to pass. With the noise of the large footsteps from the demons, they felt comfortable enough to whisper to each other without worrying about being heard.
    "Wow. To think that you did all that just to come and rescue me."
    Kurama just finished telling her about how he rescued her.
    "But seriously, what will Mordokai do to you when he finds out?"

Kurama just shrugged.
    "Oh, I'm sure he will be mad. But there's no helping it now. Besides, given the circumstances, I don't think he will be mad enough to kill me. Or atleast he will stop at killing me. I guess, I just couldn't bare the thought of something bad happening to you."

Viola blushed slightly looked around uncomfortably. This was the second time in her life that someone showed deep concern for her. And both times were from Kurama.
    "Well... Thank you. You even risked your life for me."

Kurama smiled.
    "That's what partners are for."

Viola smiled back, feeling herself turning a slight bit redder. Then she thought back to the fight with the Demon King.
    "By the way, how did you do that to Mangosta? I thought you had to concentrate really hard and the ice would slowly develop. How did your freeze him so quickly?"
    Kurama reached into his hidden compartment and pulled out his crystal. Viola gasped upon seeing it. She remembered how his crystal looked before the whole demon problem. It was clear, blue, and translucent back then. Now, it was shining brightly with may hues of blue sparkling from it.
    "So... So that means...?"

Kurama nodded.
    "Yes. It seems that I finally unlocked my crystal as well."

Viola stared at it for a little while longer, before looking back up at Kurama.
    "That's.... That's wonderful! That was your wish, your dream! And you made it come true!"

"That I did. And you were right, it is a wonderful feeling to hear your crystal speak to you. But you were also right that you don't feel a deep sense of honor upon unlocking it. I was so concerned for you that I didn't want the rest of your life to be some slave to Mangosta. I think it was that feeling of friendship, or "bonds" as it told me, was what unlocked it."

Viola stared back at Kurama as he spoke. A strange sensation had come over her when he said that. She felt her heart beat faster in her chest. She quickly shook her head to clear her mind, which was starting to cloud up from the weird feeling, and looked back down at Kurama's crystal.
    "So... what are you going to call your Ultimate move?"

Kurama looked back at his crystal, spinning it in his hands.
    "I don't know... Maybe 'Absolute Zero'?"

Viola nodded.
    "Yeah, that works. I like it."

"Cool. Then that's what I'll call it then.

Viola nodded happily, then peaked out at the tunnel.
    "It looks clear. Lets get going."

Kurama quickly pocketed his crystal.
    "Okay. Lead on."
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-27 at 11:45 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

In case you're wondering why there's parentheses in Kurama's speaking, its because I'm waiting for him to tell me what he would've called his ultimate move. I expect myself to be changing it shortly.

Also, it's that time again where I starting taking part titles again. So get to it.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Zero Frost! Zero Froooost!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Firbolg in the Playground

Absolute Zero is my suggestion. I'll go work on more titles later...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

I was gonna say Absolute Zero, but it doesn't sound... well... awesome. If you yell it, it just sounds silly.

But Zero Frost sounds like something from FF.

7. - Top - End - #547

It depends on the intonation. If it's just some random, crazy yell, then it sounds stupid, yes. But that depends on the preferences of the reader.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

What's Blue's "affliction" though...?

Does he start dancing uncontrollably in the presence of demons?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

9. - Top - End - #549

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    What's Blue's "affliction" though...?

Does he start dancing uncontrollably in the presence of demons?
    Uncontrollable rage and bloodwrath at the sight of Mangosta or his minions, probably.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Uncontrollable rage and bloodwrath at the sight of Mangosta or his minions, probably.
    Same as the real world then. XP

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I still think that it's uncontrollable dancing.
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 40
    -Cast-
    Viola
    Kurama
    Mangosta
    Penny

Spoiler
    Show
    Footsteps echo off the stone walls as Viola and Kurama hurried through the tunnels. If either one of them were on their own, finding their way back would've been impossible. Fortunately, each of them remember the landmarks of the tunnels that the other didn't. It may have taken a while, but they successfully navigated their way back to the tunnel's entrance. When they emerged, they beheld the familiar greenish glow of the portal back to their realm.
    "We made it."

Kurama looked around at Viola. Both of them were panting slightly.
    "So what are we going to do now?"

Viola looked around at the pillar of red light shooting up in the distance. She walked over towards it, until she stopped just before the edge of a cliff. Looking down, she realized she couldn't even see the bottom of it. She then looked up again at the pillar of light in the distance. A stern look quickly forming on her face.
    "We are going to seal this portal. Then we are going to Grim and make him tell us where the beacon on our side is."

She turned around to look at Kurama who was watching her apprehensively.
    "And do you really think he will tell us?"

Viola walked towards him.
    "No. Not willingly atleast. Without his crystal..."
    She stopped in her tracks. Realization suddenly coming to her. How was Grim still able to speak, or even act on his own? The memory of when her own crystal was taken away was haunting her still. How was he affected differently?

Kurama looked at her concerned.
    "You okay?"

Viola snapped out of her stupor.
    "Y-Yes... I was just... nevermind."
    She quickly reached into her compartment and pulled out the time device. Her stomach lurched as she glanced at it. The red bar was all that was left, and it was declining rapidly. They had less than an hour to get back and start investigating Grim. And it took her almost an hour to get to the ruins in the first place. She looked up quickly at Kurama.
    "We don't have much time! We have to get back, like right now!"

Kurama took the hint of what little time they had left and nodded. They then turned and ran towards the portal with urgency in their step. Suddenly, Viola's sound sense detected vibrations from below. She could sense as rock underneath seemed to crack and give way as something large was crawling its way up. She reached out her hand and grabbed Kurama by the shoulder, causing him to stop. He looked around at her.
    "What's wrong?"
    Upon seeing her staring down with a transfixed worried look, he looked down himself.

Almost immediately, a faint cracking noise was heard from the rock. Then cracks themselves began to appear over the floor's surface. They began to reach for their swords instinctively. However, neither of them managed to so much as touch their swords before the rock exploded upwards. They both held up their arms to shield them from the flying debris and were only vaguely aware of something large emerging from the recently made hole. Before she could register what had happened, something large and massive grabbed hold of her and hoisted her into the air.

When Viola finally managed to see what had emerged, her inside froze solid. Mangosta the Demon King had both her and Kurama in his hold. Both of them were pinned, unable to resist the demon's massive hold on them. But the scariest sight was his eyes. The look in those eyes were beyond the deepest of hatreds ever known to man. If looks could kill, this one could easily do it right there and then. Mangosta then snarled his anger at them, flame erupting from his mouth with each word.
    "YOU PATHETIC INSECTS!!! DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT I WOULD BE DISPOSED OF SO EASILY?!?! I AM PRACTICALLY THE GOD OF THIS REALM!!! ITS ORDER RUNS BY MY WILL!!!"
    Viola then felt the hand gripping her constrict. The breath in her lungs was easily pushed out of her. She gasped out by instinct as Mangosta crushed both her and Kurama.
    "I'm done!!! I will officially crush the two of you into paste!! Its over, you hear me?!"

Viola's vision unfocused. The edges of her vision was rapidly darkening. The uncomfortable force pressing down on her was crushing her entirely. It was only a matter of seconds until she was completely crushed. At least, it would've been only a matter of seconds, had the contracting force had not suddenly stopped. Something floated down between Kurama and her. She could not see what it was, but it attracted Mangosta's attention, who was now looking up at it confusingly.

Then suddenly, a large slash and a cry of pain was heard. Viola felt the pressure instantly release itself and she fell 10 feet to the ground. She laid sprawled on the ground, gasping greatly for air. As her vision cleared, she looked up at Mangosta, who had is massive claw like hands wrapped over his face. A figure was floating slightly away from him, calling out in an innocent, playful manner.
    "Tag! You're it!"

Viola stared in disbelief. Struggling to get enough air to speak, she gasped out.
    "Penny?!... Yo...You're flying?!"

Penny looked down at the two of them, looking like a little kid who got everything she ever wanted for her birthday.
    "Cool, huh?! It's amazing."
    A suddenly roar directed her attention to Mangosta, who was lowering his hands from his face. The large slash inflicted by Penny's sword was quickly healing over.
    "Uh oh..."

Mangosta suddenly lunged for her, but barely missed as she floated back away from him. Viola's flinched as his foot came within a few inches of her.
    "I don't know who you are, but you're nothing more than an imp, as I'm concerned! An imp that's going to die!"

Penny flipped and somersaulted effortlessly through the air.
    "You have to catch me first, dummy!"

Viola struggled shakily to her feet.
    "Penny! Be careful!"

"Don't worry, this guy is so slow, there's no way he'll catc-"
    Mangosta feinted and managed to grab hold of her tightly.

Viola watched in horror as Mangosta held onto Penny like some sort of prize.
    "Caught you."

Penny struggled for a second, before stopping. She looked around Mangosta's hand down below. Where he had caught her, she was held right over the edge of the cliff. Penny looked back at Mangosta and smiled a mischievous smile. Mangosta barely had time to raise an eyebrow, before the arm holding Penny suddenly dropped from enormous weight. Viola ran to the side of the cliff and peered over. Mangosta was falling, being lead by Penny in his hand. It was at that moment that Viola realized that Penny herself was the enormous weight. Then just as suddenly, Penny just stopped in mid air. The sudden change in inertia caused Mangosta to flip over and crashed heavily into the side of the cliff. The impact caused him to let go of Penny and resume falling down into the deep abyss below. Penny cried down after him.
    "Enjoy the fall! See you next spring!"
    Then laughing at her joke, she effortlessly flew up and landed right beside Viola.

Viola just stared at her with her mouth open. Finally she managed to blurt out something.
    "H-How did you do that?!"

"Oh, I can change how heavy I am at will now! That's how I can fly!
    She spoke enthusiastically, enjoying the attention.

Kurama managed to hobble over.
    "Yes, but... how are you able to fly in the first place?"

Penny answered happily by reaching into her pocket a pulling out her brightly shining crystal. Viola and Kurama just stared at it in disbelief.
    "No... you too?!"

"You unlocked your crystal?! You heard what the voice said?!"

Penny looked down at her crystal.
    "Well, almost. The strange word sounds familiar now, like I should know what it means. Yet, I don't quite understand it."

"But... But you were flying!"

Penny looked at Kurama.
    "Yeah, but its really nothing that spectacular. I almost felt every time I jumped like I could fly if I just pushed myself a little bit harder."
    She looked back down at her crystal.
    "I still don't think I completely unlocked it, though."

Viola looked down at her crystal again. On closer inspection, she realized that Penny's crystal wasn't filled with many different hues of pink, but just one color of pink. However, it was certainly glowing much brighter than normal. She then looked over at Kurama.
    "You said that when you rescued me, you managed to freeze the second demon's face solid. Were you able to do that before?"

Kurama raised an eyebrow but shook his head.
    "No. I could only do liquids, like mainly water. Though I never really tried on anything else before, so I didn't really think about it much."

Viola though back to her fight with Grim. How she launched a burst of sound at him before unlocking her own crystal. What did this all mean?

Suddenly, she realized they were wasting time.
    "We have to get back to the Academy, now!"
    She turned to run towards the portal, with Kurama and Penny following behind her. At the edges of her sound sense, she saw the vibration of gusts of wind from the cliff. She could see the faint outline of Mangosta flying back up with his wings at incredible speed.

She quickened her pace to as fast as she could run. The portal was only ten feet from her. Mangosta landed on the cliff's edge, and beheld them running for the portal.
    "No!"
    He pushed off of the ground with all his might and flew towards them. He reached out his hand as he quickly gained ground on them. They were almost in his grasp. But he realized that he would not get there in time. They were already racing through the portal. He landed just before it and launched his arm out, intending to grab one of them and pull them back in. But just as his arm lunged forward, a blinding blue glow shined from underneath him, causing him to shield his eyes.

Mangosta then looked up to see that the portal had completely vanished. A mighty bellow of anger was heard echoing throughout the entire plane, causing every demon to stop in their tracks with fear.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-27 at 11:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

I think that was about THREE CmoAs... maybe more. Viola gets so many Eureka moments, there's one. Mangosta with his sudden reappearance. And Penny gets at least one. XD

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, that cave of doom's getting quite crowded...

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

ok, mysteryin' time. lessee.....

Viola, Kurama and Penny all somehow got their crystals unlocked suddenly.

For this we have to check the facts that they all have in common:

they are all paladins. (duh)
    they are all friends.
    they are all in danger.
    they are all fighting demons.
    since they are friends, they all care for each other.

meaning.....the crystals unlock through wanting to defend people you care about from danger? would fit paladins.......
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #556
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ok, mysteryin' time. lessee.....

Viola, Kurama and Penny all somehow got their crystals unlocked suddenly.

For this we have to check the facts that they all have in common:

they are all paladins. (duh)
    they are all friends.
    they are all in danger.
    they are all fighting demons.
    since they are friends, they all care for each other.

meaning.....the crystals unlock through wanting to defend people you care about from danger? would fit paladins.......
    Hmmmm, methinks you might have hit upon something here!

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Anyways, I like to take the time to ask if anyone see's Mordokai or Penny, to direct them here. I get somewhat let down if the people I write about don't get the chance to read it. (This is the same thing that happened to my fan comic)

18. - Top - End - #558

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Anyways, I like to take the time to ask if anyone see's Mordokai or Penny, to direct them here. I get somewhat let down if the people I write about don't get the chance to read it. (This is the same thing that happened to my fan comic)
    Mordokai is around a little bit, though I don't know whether he knows of this. Penny I haven't seen recently.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #559

they might both still read just post less, i don't think I've posted here in a while, and even though I'm not in the story yet I kept reading.
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 41
    -Cast-
    Kurama
    Viola
    Penny
    Mangosta

Spoiler
    Show
    The confusing mass of colors swirled past as Viola, Kurama, and Penny were traveling through the portal. Just as quickly as it had begun, the three were thrown out of the other side into the ancient ruins. Viola wasn't even on the ground for an instant before she was already picking herself up. Hurrying over to the rock she had placed earlier, she quickly grabbed the tag. She then ran over planted the tag down five feet from the portal. Instantly, the tag glowed brightly blue. After a large flash, the swirling red portal before her was gone.

Relief quickly spread over Viola as she slid to the floor, breathing heavily. She jumped as a hand was placed on her shoulder, but it was only Kurama. He spoke out in a deeply caring voice.
    "Are you alright?"

She sighed peacefully, placing her own hand ontop of his.
    "I am now. Thanks to you."
    Kurama smiled at these words.

They then heard some chuckling behind them and turned around. Penny had her hand to her mouth, trying to stifle the laughing. Both Kurama and Viola raised an eybrow at her.
    "What's with you?"

"Noooooothing!"
    She says this in a sing song playful voice.
    "Except you two really seem to like each other."

Viola understood instantly what Penny was implying and turned red because of it.
    "H-Hey, Penny! Its not like that! Kurama saved me, that's all!"

Penny raised a disbelieving eyebrow at her, still smiling widely.
    "Really? Then how come both you and Kurama are turning red?"

Viola looked over to see that Kurama was blushing red too. He shot back at Penny.
    "Because you're putting us into the embarrassing situation!"

Penny crossed her arms in a triumphant manner.
    "Nice try Kurama. But I can tell that you're boyfriend and girlfri-"

"Penny!"
    Viola interupts Penny to avoid her completing the last word. She didn't know how red she would turn if Penny was allowed to finish the word "girlfriend".
    "This... This isn't the time. We need to get back to the academy. We need to find the beacon."

Kurama joined in as well.
    "But it would be impossible to get back in time before the invasion starts!"

Penny took a herioc pose in front of them, which in their mind was just her being silly.
    "Not a problem at all guys. I'll be able to fly all three of us there."

"You... fly...? How? We have to be too heavy for you to carry us."

Penny shook her head.
    "Nope! I can change how heavy I can be as well as how heavy everything I touch is now. So I can fly us over to the castle."

Viola didn't know what to say. Thankfully, Kurama did.
    "Well we have to get out of the ruins first. Come on!"

Red rock cracked as the large footsteps of Mangosta raced through the caverns. He emerged from the large mouth into a large opening. A large pillar of red light shot straight up out of a large decorated dome. A ways from the dome was a curved archway standing by itself. Many demons were gathering in front of it with spears and various weapons.

Mangosta hurried over to one demon who held an air of authority.
    "Mangosta. What brings you-"

"Begin the attack! Now!"

The demon looked up at Mangosta confused.
    "But sir... We still have half an hour before our original attack plan. Some of the back troops are not yet read-"

"I don't care!"
    Venomous rage was nestled deep in everyone of his words. He had grabbed hold of the demon's neck with his own large claw-like hand.
    "I said begin the attack! NOW!"

Three beams or red light shot out of the dome into precise points on the archway. Within it, swirling colors of green began to take shape...
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-28 at 12:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #561

great comic

Also i just realized if penny hit the opponents sword in battle, and made it really light, it would fly up out of the opponent's hands, and possibly push the crystal away making them useless
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Aaawesome. We're really getting to the climax!

23. - Top - End - #563

Griffon

C'mon! Demon Attacks, Romance....annoying little girls who notice when two people like each other! Man this story has everything!

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

It's entirely possible that they're just launching some sort of complimentary tea and biscuits device....

25. - Top - End - #565

Griffon

Ooooh. Demonic tea! Tasty!

26. - Top - End - #566

You might want to bold Mongasta's last lines... and possibly increase the size of "Now", or underline or italicize it for extra effect.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #567

Ah, Miss Penny. Cute.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Truly amazing, sir. *clap clap clap*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    Truly amazing, sir. *clap clap clap*
    Thank you. Its nice to hear something like that from a new reader.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you. Its nice to hear something like that from a new reader.
    New? I've been reading it for a while. Not that I post much, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.