Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

Ha, so punny.

Fire abilities are cool, I think, because fire just has that allure to it, that makes you want to touch it even though you know you shouldn't.

This one was pretty good as well, minor errors aside.
    It makes you wonder what the three (Rabbit, and the others) are out looking for. Probably for that Recaiden Assassin. Judging by Lix's reaction, I think it could be safe to assume that it's a tightly kept secret, because nobody wants the general masses of paladins to be afraid and stop training.
    Last edited by Je dit Viola; 2010-06-08 at 12:34 AM.
    I'm gone for a couple of years!
    I'm off doing service in developing countries in South America
    (Very little chance of internet access) - I'll try to come back afterwards

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ooh, I am getting a feeling that there will be a villain appearing in the story shortly

Great chapter as always, Jesse! The talk about Crystals made me snicker

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Can't go wrong with fire.

...wait, if Lix has the fire abilities does that make her the protagonist by default?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Can't go wrong with fire.

...wait, if Lix has the fire abilities does that make her the protagonist by default?
    Either that or "BURN BURN BUUURRRRNNN!!!" type character, yeah...

@V: Me too! I am looking forward to seeing mine in action

I bet it has something to do with killing things...
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-06-08 at 09:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yay more paladins! I wonder what Jesse and Grims's power are? Bis has super-senses, right? Personally, I'm just glad to have paladin academy back at regular intervals.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 14
    -Cast-
    Kurama
    Viola
    Blue

Spoiler
    Show
    Viola gets into her armor quickly with no real thought about it. Her mind was focused on trying to find out what her power was. When the last piece of her armor is put into place, she closes her locker with a snap. Again, she saw a brief flashing pulse of everything around her when her locker closed. From behind her, Kurama spoke.
    "Well, this is a first."

Viola turned around to look at him.
    "What is?"

"Changing into your armor without turning red even once."

Viola looked around and then down at the armor.
    "Wow. You're right. I didn't really notice I was putting it on. I was mostly thinking about what my crystal is."

"Heh."
    Kurama was finishing the last piece to his own armor.
    "And here I thought you were just getting use to it."

He closes his locker door and they both proceed out of the locker door.
    "Well maybe I am."

Kurama turned and looked at her.
    "Are you sure?"
    Viola stared back at him. In her mind's eye, she imagined herself changing into her armor again. She could feel the traitorous blush creep up on her face. Kurama smiled and continued walking.
    "I thought so."

Behind him, Viola scowled at the back of his head.

Shortly thereafter, Mordokai came out and told them it was a free practice day since Rabbit was out for a mission. But as the other paladins were dispersing, Kurama placed a hand on her shoulder and held her back.
    "Hey, why don't we stick together today. Okay?"

Viola raised an eyebrow. Usually she just moves about with the other paladins and trains in various activities.
    "How come?"

Kurama looks around breifly.
    "Well, it's sort of a special event and all, now that you're now an official paladin and everything."

Comprehension dawned on Viola's face.
    "You want to be the first to know what my power is, don't you?"

Kurama looks a little uncomfortable.
    "Well... Don't I deserve to know first? I am your partner after all."

Viola lets out a small chuckle.
    "Yeah, I guess so-"
    She stops. The sound of swords banging on each other started ringing throughout the area. Viola turned her head to face the dueling area. She was having the same flashes happen, but they were clearer this time.

Each time the swords hit each other, a white pulse would expand rapidly from the point of contact. The white pulse spreads like a ripple, showing the features of everyone and everything around. She watched as the swords were banging on each other again and again. The sight of everything was beautiful in a sense.

Suddenly, she was being shaken by a couple hands on her shoulders.
    "Hey Viola, are you there?"

She snaps away from her transfixation and looks back at Kurama.
    "Huh? What?"

"You zoned out there for several minutes. Nothing I could do could bring you back."

"That's because I was...seeing...
    She turned back to the sword fighting. She saw the pulses flash away from where the swords strike each other. And every time the pulse raced away, it was accompanied by a loud, high pitched,
    "...Sound!"

Kurama raised an eyebrow.
    "What?"

"Sound! I...I think I know what my ability is!"
    She looks at Kurama with comprehension on her face.
    "I...I think I'm seeing sound!"

Kurama looked at her confused.
    "Are you sure? How can you see sound?"

"I don't know. But it all fits. The talking, Penny and the suit of armor, the locker door, and now the swords. Every time I get one of those reflections of the things around me, some kind of sound is happening at the same time."

Kurama puts his chin in one of his hands and ponders over it.
    "Well, I'm not denying that that could be it. A lot of powers are weird like that."
    He looks back up at Viola.
    "Well anyways, I think we should visit Blue about this. He might know how it works. But before that, lets have a quick duel. Just so we can say we did something today besides listen to metaphors all day."

Viola nodded.
    "Okay, sounds good."
    Viola followed Kurama instinctively. She was taking pride in the fact that she discovered what her newfound ability was. They found a dueling area and stood apart. Viola reached down and pulled her sword out of it's sheath. Just then she stops suddenly.
    "Wait a minute! We didn't get the dulling crystals to put in our swords."

Kurama smiles.
    "I know. We're going to use our own crystals instead."
    He pulls out a white blue crystal and puts it into the slot on his sword.
    "We're only going to do shallow swings to avoid cutting each others armor. But I think you should have some experience having your crystal in your sword to know what it does."

Viola nods and looks down at her sword. Silently, she reaches into a small strap pouch she had attached to her waist and pulls out her violet colored crystal. She then tries to place it into her sword. The crystal fit perfectly.

They then face each other and take fighting stances. Kurama starts with a lunge which she easily parries. She then swings back at him, only to have him side step back to avoid it. They duel for several minutes before Viola makes a mistake. She tries to feint, but was too slow about it. Kurama manged to throw an overhand swing which she barely blocked. The blow knocks her off balance and she throws out her left arm to catch herself. She looks up to see Kurama taking advantage and throwing another swing at her. Reacting instinctively, she brings up her sword quickly to block the blow. As she does so, she feels a warmth spread through her from the sword itself. She thought she could hear a faint humming noise coming from it.

When the two swords met together in mid air, something strange happened. Kurama suddenly jumped back in reaction to something. His sword hand drops his sword as he grips it with his other hand. He drops down to his knees, wincing in pain. Panicked, Viola drops her own sword and rushes to his side.
    "Kurama! Kurama, are you alright?!"

Kurama breathes heavily for a few seconds. He then opens his eyes and looks up at her.
    "Wow! That was... weird."

Viola repeated herself, concerned.
    "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, uh... Yeah. I'm alright."
    He begins to sit up. Viola watches closely in case anything else might happen.

"What happened?"

"I don't know."
    He looks down at his hands.
    "When our swords touched, all of a sudden I could feel my arm shake involuntarily. It spread all the way up my arm and now it's all numb. It hurt like hell, too."

Viola put her arms under his shoulder and pulled him to his feet.
    "Come on, we need to get someone to take a look at you to make sure you're alright."

"Blue. Lets get to Blue. He might have a clue as to what just happened."

They both went to retrieve their swords. Viola thrusts hers into it's sheath without removing the crystal from it. She was more concerned for Kurama at the moment.

They ascended the stairs to the top of the tower quickly. Inside the top room, Blue was waiting for them from his armchair.
    "Young Viola and Kurama too. What is the reason of this delightful visit?."

Kurama spoke out quickly.
    "Hey Blue. Something weird just happened with me and Viola. Do you know what it is?"

"Possibly. Let me see your sword, Viola."
    Viola reached down and pulled out her sword. She then handed the sword over to Blue who took a closer look at it.
    "Ahhhh... Yes. Yes, I see. How interesting. Very interesting indeed."

Kurama looks back at Viola with and exasperated glance before turning back to Blue.
    "Are you to tell us what happened?"

Viola spoke quietly to Kurama.
    "How is he suppose to know what's happened if we haven't told him?"

Kurama spoke quietly back to her.
    "Don't worry. Blue just knows things that happen around here. Don't ask me how."

They look up at the wizard who appeared to have not noticed their slight conversation. But before Kurama could yell at him again, Blue spoke.
    "You have a very unique crystal, young Viola."

Kurama raises an eyebrow in confusion.
    "But don't we all have unique crystals, Blue?"

"Yes, each crystal likes to have a different element to play with and they like to decide whether to actively control this element or let it slide by."

Viola calls out confused.
    "What?"

"He means active and passive crystals."

"Correct. But your crystal, young Viola, seems to have been unable to make up its mind on which type it should be. So it resolved to be greedy and take them both at once."

Kurama didn't need to translate. Viola understood exactly what Blue just said. She stands there in awe, looking at the crystal glowing from the slot in her sword. Kurama spoke out exactly what had been going through her mind.
    "You mean... she has both a passive AND an active ability with her crystal?!"

"Yes. An interesting development. Only two others had the same thing happened to their crystals."
    He looks back at her crystal.
    "Her passive ability seems to allow her to see the world as sound sees it."

Viola finally speaks up.
    "How does that work?

"Imagine yourself in a canyon. You decide to yell out and then your own voice calls back to you. What happens is the sound vibrations bounce off the rock walls back to you."
    The yellow glowing eyes stare straight at Viola.
    "However, your crystal enables you to take these reflected vibrations and see what they bounced off of, allowing you to see the world differently than just with your eyes."
    He hold out her sword for her to take, which she did.
    "As such, there's more to your ability then just receiving sound. Your active ability allows you to create it yourself."

Viola chuckles at this.
    "I can do that anyways. Just talking now is allowing me to create sound."

"Well spoken, young Viola. However, that's not what I'm trying to say. You are producing different frequencies of sounds that you cannot make normally."

Kurama spoke this time.
    "So... what happened when our swords met?"

Blue continues.
    "What happened was that Viola produced a sound of such high frequency and vibrations. The vibrations jumped to your sword and all up and down your arm, causing it to go numb from the stress."

Viola looked down at the sword in her hand.
    "I can really do that?"

"Yes. Untold properties are at your disposal now, young Viola."

Viola chewed on her tongue for a moment. A thought came to her and she looked back up at Blue.
    "You said only two others had a passive and an active ability. Who were they?"

The yellow dots from under the hood disappeared for a second and reappeared. Viola guessed that Blue just blinked from under the hood that was covering his face.
    "The first is the grand Mordokai, teacher of the paladins and my friend. The other however is no longer with us but has left for a dark reason. Suiting for his ability."

"Who?"
    They both utter the word at the same time.

Blue stares back at them.
    "He is known as, Grim."
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2014-09-01 at 08:50 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

8. - Top - End - #38

Dun dun dunnnnn!!

Excellent work, though I'm still the coolest.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Omnious chapter ending is omnious

Great work again, Silver! I get the feeling that we are going to get a doze of backstory or explanation about someone's powers soon...

10. - Top - End - #40

Hmm, my first guess was that Grimm could inflict people with fear, but I don't see the passive applications of that.

Any ideas?

Spoiler
    Show
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe he can make things Grimdark and summon armies of Imperial Space Marines as a result?
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Maybe he can make things Grimdark and summon armies of Imperial Space Marines as a result?
    Heh, that would be awesome and hilarious. But I think no

I am sure Silver will give is the answer sooner or later, though. For now I am content on watching the buildup

13. - Top - End - #43

Ooh, ooh! I know! *raises hand*

The phrase "accidentally made a mistake" seems a little repetition to me, though, unless that person starts purposefully making mistakes.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Je dit Viola View Post

The phrase "accidentally made a mistake" seems a little repetition to me, though, unless that person starts purposefully making mistakes.
    Darn it. I missed it when I was going through it again. Thanks for that. Any other errors in other stories and how to fix them would be appriciated too.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Don't you mean redundant, not repetition?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 15
    -Cast-
    Kurama
    Viola
    Penny
    Lix
    Mordokai

Spoiler
    Show
    Both Viola and Kurama descended down the steps from Blue's tower. Viola was still staring down at the crystal in her sword. Kurama spoke to break the silence.
    "Well, I guess congratulations are in order."

Viola didn't look up from her crystal.
    "For what? I didn't do anything."

"True, but you have a unique power. Both a passive and an active one. Too bad we couldn't find out more about it though."

Viola nodded. Before they could get any more out of Blue, he had said that Mordokai had called him and then vanished into thin air.
    It feels weird though, being unique like this. Normally it's someone else that has the spotlight. Now I find myself somewhere within the top three."

"Well, you should enjoy it. I wish mine had two abilities."

Viola finally looked up from her crystal to look at Kurama.
    "But don't you have a passive ability? You can produce a frigid aura around your sword when you have your crystal in it, right?"

Kurama shook his head.
    "The truth is, I'm actually concentrating on producing that aura. It just makes it a lot easier to maintain when the crystal is in my sword."

Viola looked back down at her sword.
    "So, I can sense sound around me like... what did Blue call it before he disappeared?"

"I think he said 'Sonar'. I wished he could have told us what that meant at least."

Viola nodded.
    "Yeah. Anyways, I can sense sound and also produce high frequency sound that can disable a person by exchanging blows."

"That we know of. I don't think the sound is just limited to your sword. Sound doesn't work that way."

Viola chuckled weakly, putting her hand to her face.
    "Of course. I have to have another ability, right? Be better then everyone else even more."

Kurama shrugged at her.
    "You say that like it's bad thing."

"Sorry. Like I said, I'm not use to having so much spotlight on me."

"Yeah, alright. So what should we do to get your mind off it?"

"Maybe go tell Penny about it. We're all technically in a group together."

But if either of them thought that Penny wouldn't make a big deal of it, they were sadly mistaken. Penny unexpectedly jumped onto Viola and was yelling happily about how Viola was 'Unique'. Viola only just barely managed to get Penny off of her.
    "This is so great! We'll be the best team around! No one will ever be able to stand up to us!"

Penny continued on ranting that way until Viola was starting to get a headache. She saw Kurama roll his eyes. Fortunately, someone called out to them.
    "Hey! Viola!"
    They turned to see that it was Lix calling out to them. She hurried over to greet them.
    "Hey there, Viola. I've just been sent by Mordokai to come and get you."

Viola looked at Kurama and Penny confused. They looked back at her with equal confusion.
    "Uh... Why?"

Lix shrugged.
    "I don't know. He said it was important though."

Penny spoke out suddenly.
    "Viola didn't do anything wrong, did she?"

Lix shook her head.
    "No... I don't think so. Just go and see him."

Viola turned back to Kurama and Penny.
    "Well, see you at dinner then."

Kurama waved a hand at her departure.
    "Okay. Good luck."

Viola paused outside the double doors of Mordokai's office. She took a steadying breath before softly pushing the doors open. Mordokai was at his desk, waiting for her.
    "Ah, Viola! Please come in."

Viola stepped inside and allowed the door to close behind her.
    "You... wanted to see me?"

Mordokai nodded.
    "Yes I did. Please, have a seat."

Viola nervously sat down into a chair in front of Mordokai's desk.
    "So, what's this about?"

"Well I have a question for you. Have you ever met your parents?"

Viola blinked in surprise. She had always grown up in an orphanage. They didn't tell her anything about her parents. She didn't even know their names. She shook her head no.
    "Sorry, no. I don't know anything about them."

Mordokai frowned, though it seemed to be at something that was troubling him.
    "I see. Yet you have an active and a passive ability."

Viola nodded.
    "Yes. But... how do you know?"

"Blue told me. I called him to check the status of the antidote mix and he mentioned that you had two abilities. He's making great progress on the antidote by the way, but it isn't finished yet."

Viola nodded.
    "But what does having two abilities have to do with me knowing my parents or not?"

Mordokai leaned back into his chair, pondering a bit.
    "I trust Blue told you that the only other people to have two abilities are me and Grim. Is that correct?"
    Viola nodded.
    "Well, it's because both Grim and I both knew our parents before they died."

"Your... parents died?"

"Viola, every paladin here has been orphaned at one age or another. Its another one of those things that makes us all alike."

Viola's mouth dropped open at this.
    "Everyone?"

"Everyone."

"Even Kurama?... And Penny?"

Mordokai nodded.
    "Yes, everyone. And out of all of them, only Grim and I have actually spoken to our parents and remember them."

"What happened to your parents? Er... I mean... sorry. That was rude of me."

Mordokai waved her apology aside.
    "Think nothing of it. I lost my parents to a great plague that was sweeping the land. I caught the same plague to, but was cured by a wonderful person."

Viola lowered her head.
    "I'm sorry."

"It happened a long time ago. So no need to dwell on it."

Viola nodded, but then looked up at him
    "Who was it who cured you?"

Mordokai smiled
    "Blue. That was how we met."
    Viola raised her eyebrows with surprise.
    "Anyways, Grim's past however was a little more tragic."
    Viola leaned in closer.
    "Grim grew up on an outskirts village that often got attacked by raiding tribes from the forest nearby. He grew up learning how to defend himself from day one. Both his mother and father were well trained militia against the raiders. However, one day a raiding group larger than normal attacked. His dad was slain by sheer numbers while his mother barricaded both them into their house."
    Viola could see everything happen in her mind's eye.
    "The raiders managed to get through the blockade. His mother managed to slay all but one of them. The last one managed to get a lethal blow in and caused her to collapse. Grim jumped out and killed the remaining raider with one of their kitchen knives."
    Mordokai took a breath and continued.
    "Grim didn't know that the wound was absolutely fatal. Technically, she was dead almost instantly. However, he preformed chest compressions on her anyways. He manage to force some blood into her brain. What happened was the brain responded to the last thing it was trying to do and that was holding off the bandit. So his own mother had slashed him deeply across the chest with the knife in her hand as he was trying to save her. He still has the scar where his mother had cut him."
    Viola was quite still, horrified that anything like that had happened. Mordokai continued.
    "I had arrived just a moment later to see him curled up on the wall. I had taken him here and helped train him as a paladin personally. Grim and I were so much alike, so I had taken him under my wing. As you know, my ability has to do with light. His however, has to do with darkness. He can manipulate it and even turn it solid at will, just like me and my ability to manipulate light. He was a really good student, but his sudden disappearance has me worried."

"So you still haven't found him?"

Mordokai shook his head.
    "No. We haven't. I think his past is what caused him to leave. That deep down, he thought that the people closest to you would be the ones to betray and harm you like that."

Viola was thinking this over.
    "What everyone says about him was that he likes to show off and claim he's the best at everything."

Mordokai chuckles.
    "Yeah, he can be a bit arrogant at times. Anyways, I'll send Nil out to search for him again once he gets back, which should be by late tomorrow."
    He looks at Viola for a moment.
    "Anyways, you should head down for dinner. And make sure you're well rested for tomorrow as well. The rumor about you having two abilities will certainly spread. So everyone will be watching you closely."

Viola sighed and nodded. That was one of the reasons she didn't like being in the spotlight.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-20 at 12:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Nice story Silver, glad to have some of our questions answered.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Indeed. At least I now have pretty clearly established backstory and reasons for villany

And cool power. Must not forget the cool power

Awesome work as always, Silver. Looking forward to next chapter with interest

19. - Top - End - #49

*Clap, clap, clap*

Bravo, Mr Silverraptor. Bravo. Your writing is quite good, it makes me sad that another project that had your writing end just as it was getting good. But that wasn't your fault, that was the artist's. Oh well, this should most enjoyable.

20. - Top - End - #50

Awww....everyone's orphans. That's sad.
    But the antidote's almost made, which is a good thing. It'll mess up Recaiden and make him mad, though, and force him to get a different poison that is quicker-killing to make up for it.

Don't you mean redundant, not repetition?
    Actually, I meant to write "repetitious", but my silly laptop has a silly spell-check that doesn't make sense most of the time.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Awww....everyone's orphans. That's sad.
    But the antidote's almost made, which is a good thing. It'll mess up Recaiden and make him mad, though, and force him to get a different poison that is quicker-killing to make up for it.

Actually, I meant to write "repetitious", but my silly laptop has a silly spell-check that doesn't make sense most of the time.
    That would still have the same problem wouldn't it? He wasn't repeating himself, just using an adverb which didn't add anything...
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2010-06-12 at 06:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

That's what repetitious is, isn't it? Saying the same thing multiple times, right? Repetition was wrong, because of grammar, whereas redundant is a slightly nerdy word, because of all the Ds.
    (However, I think we're getting off topic. Grammar and definitions have little to do with paladins, I think. There might be room for you to respond once more, but I can't reply to that one or else we'll be officially off topic. I hope you understand.)
    Last edited by Je dit Viola; 2010-06-12 at 06:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

That's what repetitious is, isn't it? Saying the same thing multiple times, right? Repetition was wrong, because of grammar, whereas redundant is a slightly nerdy word, because of all the Ds.
    (However, I think we're getting off topic. Grammar and definitions have little to do with paladins, I think. There might be room for you to respond once more, but I can't reply to that one or else we'll be officially off topic. I hope you understand.)
    No, repetition is saying exactly the same thing more than once. Redundancy is when you describe the same thing more than once. So repetition can lead to redundancy, but not all redundancy is repetition (e.g. "accidentally made a mistake" is redundant, since a mistake will always be accidental, "accidentally had an accident" would be repetition and redundancy because you're using the same word twice, i.e. repeating it and it's redundant in the same way as the other statement).

Anyway, yeah. Kind of off topic. ¬_¬"
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2010-06-12 at 07:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground

Great work as usual, Silv. I'm immensely enjoying this work. Though a destructive ability doesn't seem right with Viola...
    Has Lix seen this yet?

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 16
    -Cast-
    Kurama
    Viola

Spoiler
    Show
    Dinner was uneventful for the most part. Penny and Kurama asked her what happened and she gave them a brief summary. However, Grim's past didn't generate much sympathy from either of them as it did for her. She decided to not press the issue.

Finally, Penny went to her room while Viola and Kurama went to theirs. Viola sat down on her bed while Kurama got out his book to read.
    "It's been an interesting day today, hasn't it."

Viola let out a long sigh.
    "Yeah, it has. And I first awoke angry at the crystal's side effect. Now it has placed me as being one of the best here."

Kurama looks up from his book to look at her.
    "Well, if Recaiden had finished you off back there and then, you wouldn't have to experience this torture, right?"
    Viola shot him a glare.
    "Hey! I'm kidding, I'm kidding."
    Viola watches him for several seconds, causing an awkward silence. Kurama decided to break it..
    "Ummm... Anyways, how did he manage to pin you down like that? I couldn't really see from my angle."

Viola slowly stood up and walked over to Kurama. She was looking at her hand, remembering.
    "It's... kinda hard to explain. But maybe I can show you. Could you stand up please?"
    Kurama raised and eyebrow at her, but closed his book regardless. He then stood up to face her.
    "Now could you extend your right hand out?"
    Kurama did as he was told and extended his arm out. Viola then grabbed his arm around the wrist and tried to perform the move Recaiden had used on her. She twisted his wrist and arm around in a way it wouldn't go naturally behind his back, causing him to double over. She executed it near perfectly, judging from the sounds Kurama was making.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Ok, Ok! I get it! Can I have my arm back now?"

Viola still had a firm grasp on him. The lack of resistance was suprising her, even though she witnessed the inability to do so herself.
    "You can't... move at all?"

"No. It just hurts like hell, preventing me from moving anywhe- Gah! Stop moving! It hurts even more when you do that!"

Viola let go of his arm quickly.
    "Sorry! Sorry! I forgot that it hurt that much."

Kurama straightened up and comforted his wrist.
    "Next time warn me when you do something like that."
    He turns to look at Viola.
    "By the way, how did you manage to execute it again like that? He only did it once on you, right? So how is it that you're able to duplicate it so easily."

Viola gave out a loud sarcastic laugh.
    "Rabbit. That's how I can do it so well. With her, you have to do it right the first time, or it's strict drilling. Or rather I say even more severe strict drilling."

Kurama nodded, giving an all knowing wise expression.
    "Ahhhh! Yes, that would do it. I's strange though, no one else knows hand to hand combat. Yet now you do."

Viola shook her head and smiled.
    "One move hardly qualifies as hand to hand combat."

"But that's still one more move than any of us. Add that on top of two abilities, and you really are looking at being one of the top paladin's around."
    Viola stopped smiling at that. Kurama averted his gaze awkwardly.
    "Oh, sorry about that. Didn't mean to remind you."
    He laid down on his bed and began reading his book again.

Viola was still thinking over everything. What Kurama had said was true, despite the fact she didn't really like it. The way things were set up, she could very well work her way to the top. The path was certainly open to her atleast. Silently, she made her way to her dresser. She quietly began to change into her night clothes. In her mind, she was imagining herself like Nil, being called on by Mordokai to do increasingly complex tasks on her own and then coming back victorious. It was a good thought.

She was in the process of getting ready to put her night shirt on before she froze for a moment.
    "Gah!"
    She reacted instinctively, quickly throwing the shirt over her chest and looking over her shoulder at Kurama, turning red. Kurama wasn't watching initially, but was turning his head at the sudden out cry from her.

"What happened? What's wrong?"

Viola forced herself to look away and keep her back to him. She could still feel herself very red. She also found words more difficult to speak.
    "Well... uh, I... I didn't... um..."

Behind her, she heard Kuram let out an exasperated sigh. She could just picture him rolling his eyes.
    "Wow. First in the changing room, now here."

"I've had alot on my mind lately, alright!"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. I also know that you probably would have changed all the way and I wouldn't even have known."

Viola stood rigid. She knew Kurama was still watching her. She could feel his eyes on her back. She took a deep steadying breath and decided to finish dressing. Keeping her back to him, she pulled the night shirt up over her head and pulled it down. She had managed to change into her night pants before realizing Kurama was in there, so she was in her complete night clothes.

"Wow. That was quite impressive."
    Kurama's voice contained mocking praise.

"Shut up!"
    She stomped over to her bed and blew out the candle on her nightstand. She turned over to have her back to Kurama. A quiet sigh was heard from his bed and the light from the candle on his nightstand flicked and went out. In the darkness, Viola was blushing red. However, she had a cheerful smile on her face.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-21 at 12:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 17
    -Cast-
    Kurama
    Viola
    Rabbit
    Penny
    Grim

Spoiler
    Show
    Viola woke up that morning feeling refreshed. She didn't know why, but she felt really happy for some reason. She assumed it was probably from a dream that she didn't remember. Kurama spoke to her as he was getting out of bed.
    "Well, good morning. What are you smiling about?"

Viola just shook her head.
    "I don't really know. I just feel... great!"

"Well that's good. By the way, the rumor of you having double abilities has probably spread by now. So be prepared for a lot of stares."

Those words scrubed the good feeling from her entirely. She began to picture herself as suddenly glowing and everyone was staring at her. She spoke back in a quiet voice.
    "Oh no..."

Kurama walked forward and placed a hand on her shoulder.
    "Relax Viola. Everything will be okay. Just pretend that none of it is happening."

Viola spoke back to him bitterly.
    "I could've imagined it much better if you hadn't brought it up!"

"And when everyone starts staring at you?"

Viola stopped at his words. He was right. She would have to prepare herself for everything now. Even if that meant sacrificing the good feeling. She lets out a calming sigh.
    "You're right. I'm sorry I shouted at you like that."

"Hey, no harm no foul. Come on, lets go have breakfast."

"Just give me a minute to prepare myself for the day to come."

Twenty minutes later, Kurama was literally dragging her out of their room. Faced with the prospect of being the center of attention, she suddenly found so many trivial things that could be moved about and fixed. They stopped outside the mess hall and Kurama finally let go of her. She took several deep breaths before she nodded that she was ready.

It was worse than she imagined. Every head turned to look when she entered and she felt like running away right there and then. However, she saw Kurama out of the corner of her eye and forced herself forward. The entire mess hall was practically silent of chatter as everyone was watching her intently. Viola felt as if they were trying to pick up tips on what kind of food she was asking for as she was going through the line.

They finally found a table to themselves and Viola began to eat to try and block out the feeling of so many eyes upon her. Shortly, Penny joined their table with a sour disgruntled look on her face. Kurama asked the question that was on Viola's mind.
    "What's the matter with you, Penny?"

They immediately got their answer as the loud voice of Rabbit suddenly filled the mess hall.
    "What is this?! Is everyone suddenly on a diet?! Stop staring and start eating! Its rude to stare you know!"

The chatter of conversation quickly began to start again. Viola started to finally feel relaxed, even though she knew most of the conversations were about her.
    "So, Rabbit is back?"

Penny nodded, still looking disgruntled.
    "Yup. And so is Bis and Jesse."

Viola raised an eyebrow.
    "How come you don't sound too happy?"

"Because I accidently touched a few of her things when she was gone and she noticed they were in different places then when she left. She gave me a headache!"

Viola took pity on her.
    "Out of place by half an inch?"

"Quarter. Just a quarter of an inch out of place. What's the big deal?"

Viola just shook her head apologetically.
    "I'm sorry. But she did me a favor just now."

Penny nodded.
    "Yeah, I know. I guess she can still come in handy sometimes, right?"

They finished their breakfast and quickly changed into their armor. Viola tried to do her best at hiding from stares while sitting to watch Kurama and Penny duel. The sun moved quickly overhead and before long, everyone was gathering around having lunch. Viola just sighed as she was eating.
    "I'm sick of everyone staring at me like I'm on display or something."

Kurama smiled at her with a friendly expression.
    "They'll stop in a week or two. Nothing to get worked up about."

"Yeah, I guess. But everyone is still expecting me to do great things! But all that happened was that I had to be protected from you guys. I just feel that... that I will just be a burden to everyone. That I will always need protecting."

Kurama placed a hand on her shoulder again.
    "Viola, you only just started. Sure everyone will be watching you, but that doesn't mean you should shrink from it. Remember, you have your crystal now. So follow it closely, and you should do fine."

Kurama had cheered her up somewhat.
    "Thanks Kurama. I'll try my best for sure."

After finishing lunch, they gathered at the training grounds and Rabbit got up to give them the usual post-lunch prep talk about training.
    "Now remember everyone! You don't gain anything by standing around! If you want to achieve success, you gotta work hard at it! Training could make a difference between you living or finding yourself dying at the feet of the enem-"

*Katung*

A deep sound emanated from the metal doors of the entrance. Viola was able to sense the entire front area of the fortress from the sound that was issued. Every head turned in suprise at the sound. A similar sound was heard again and the great metal doors were bending under a blow from something heavy. More banging was heard as the doors were unwillingly giving way. Swords were slowly drawn from everyone around, preparing for some kind of trouble that seemed to be coming. Viola held hers tightly in her own hand, staring intently at the buckling doors. Finally, one last blow knocked the doors out of their place and they collased in a cloud of dust. Viola thought she saw some dark clouds moving about in the dust, but they disapperead quickly. Slowly but surely, the dust began to settle down again. In the shadow of the dust, a figure took a step forward. Then another. And another. Slowly the figure walked inside the fortress and emerged from the dissipating dust cloud. There were many gasps heard around and Viola couldn't blame them. Even though she only saw him on her first day, she still recoginzed who it was.

Grim had stopped several feet from the now ruined front entrance, facing them all. His sinister armor had become even more frightful since he left. It was darker and had serrated edges around it. He looked at them all with a menacing smile, like someone who was about to play roughly with their favorite toys. Finally, he spoke out to all of them.
    "Oh, its great to be back. Now... who's going to fight me first?"
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-21 at 12:32 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to apologize for such the long delay at getting on and updating this story. it's been a headache to get internet access where I'm currently at. But rest assured it's back now and shall update on the weekends. I gave you 2 stories as an apology and a cliffhanger to get you all interested.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Colossus in the Playground

...A quarter inch. A quarter inch.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Paladin Academy: Part 17
    -Cast-
    Kurama
    Viola
    Rabbit
    Penny
    Grim

Spoiler
    Show
    Viola woke up that morning feeling refreshed. She didn't know why, but she felt really happy for some reason. She assumed it was probably from a dream that she didn't remember. Kurama spoke to her as he was getting out of bed.
    "Well, good morning. What are you smiling about?"

Viola just shook her head.
    "I don't really know. I just feel... great!"

"Well that's good. By the way, The rumor of you having double abilities has spread. So be prepared for alot of stares."

Those words scrubed the good feeling from her entirely. She began to picture herself as suddenly glowing and everyone was staring at her. She spoke back in a quiet voice.
    "Oh no..."

Kurama walked forward and placed a hand on her shoulder.
    "Relax Viola. Everything will be okay. Just pretend that none of it is happening."

Viola spoke back to him bitterly.
    "I could've imagined it much better if you hadn't brought it up!"

"And when everyone starts staring at you?"

Viola stopped at his words. He was right. She would have to prepare herself for everything now. Even if that meant sacrificing the good feeling. She lets out a calming sigh.
    "You're right. I'm sorry I shouted at you like that."

"Hey, no harm no foul. Come on, lets go have breakfast."

"Just give me a minute to prepare myself for the day to come."

Twenty minutes later, Kurama was literally dragging her out of their room. Faced with the prospect of being the center of attention, she suddenly found so many trivial things that could be moved about and fixed. They stopped outside the mess hall and Kurama finally let go of her. She took several deep breaths before she nodded that she was ready.

It was worse than she imagined. Every head turned to look when she entered and she felt like running right there and then. However, she saw Kurama out of the corner of her eye and forced herself forward. The entire mess hall was practically silent of chatter as everyone was watching her intently. Viola felt as if they were trying to pick up tips on what kind of food she was asking for as she was going through the line.

They finally found a table to themselves and Viola began to eat to try and block out the feeling of so many eyes upon her. Shortly, Penny joined their table with a sour disgruntled look on her face. Kurama asked the question that was on Viola's mind.
    "What's the matter with you, Penny?"

They immediately got their answer as the loud voice of Rabbit suddenly filled the mess hall.
    "What is this?! Is everyone suddenly on a diet?! Stop staring and start eating! Its rude to stare you know!"

The chatter of conversation quickly began to start again. Viola started to finally feel relaxed, even though she knew most of the conversations were about her.
    "So, Rabbit's back?"

Penny nodded, still looking disgruntled.
    "Yup. And so is Bis and Jesse."

Viola raised an eyebrow.
    "How come you don't sound too happy?"

"Because I accidently touched a few of her things when she was gone and she noticed they were in different places then when she left. She gave me a headache!"

Viola took pity on her.
    "Out of place by half an inch?"

"Quarter. Just a quarter of an inch out of place. What's the big deal?"

Viola just shook her head apologetically.
    "I'm sorry. But she did me a favor just now."

Penny nodded.
    "Ya, I know. I guess she can still come in handy sometimes, right?"

They finished their breakfast and quickly changed into their armor. Viola tried to do her best at hiding from everyone's stares and was usually sitting to watch Kurama and Penny duel. The sun moved quickly overhead and before long, everyone was gathering around having lunch. Viola just sighed as she was eating.
    "I'm sick of everyone staring at me like I'm on display or something."

Kurama smiled at her with a friendly expression.
    "They'll stop in a week or two. Nothing to get worked up about."

"Ya, I guess. But everyone is still expecting me to do great things! But all that happened was that I had to be protected from you guys. I just feel that... that I will just be a burden to everyone. That I will always need protecting."

Kurama placed a hand on her shoulder again.
    "Viola, you only just started. Sure everyone will be watching you, but that doesn't mean you should shrink from it. Remember, you have your crystal now. So follow it closely, and you should do fine."

Kurama had cheered her up somewhat.
    "Thanks Kurama. I'll try my best for sure."

They finished up shortly after that. They gathered at the training grounds and Rabbit got up to give them the usual post-lunch prep talk about training.
    "Now remember everyone! You don't gain anything by standing around! If you want to achieve success, you gotta work hard at it! Training could make a difference between you living or finding yourself dying at the feet of the enem-"

*Katung*

A deep sound emanated from the metal doors of the entrance. Viola was able to sense the entire front area of the fortress from the sound that was issued. Every head turned in suprise at the sound. A similar sound was heard again and the great metal doors were bending under a blow from something heavy. More banging was heard as the doors were unwillingly giving way. Swords were slowly drawn from everyone around, preparing for some kind of trouble that seemed to be coming. Viola held hers tightly in her own hand, staring intently at the buckling doors. Finally, one last blow knocked the doors out of their place and they collased in a cloud of dust. Viola thought she saw some dark clouds moving about in the dust, but they disapperead quickly. Slowly but surely, the dust began to settle down again. In the shadow of the dust, a figure took a step forward. Then another. And another. Slowly the figure walked inside the fortress and emerged from the dissipating dust cloud. There were many gasps heard around and Viola couldn't blame them. Even though she only saw him on her first day, she still recoginzed who it was.

Grim had stopped right at the center of the entrance area, facing them all. His sinister armor had become even more frightful since he left. It was darker and had serrated edges around it. He looked at them all with a menacing smile, like someone who's about to play roughly with their favorite toys. Finally, he spoke out to them all.
    "Oh, its great to be back. Now, who's going to fight me first?"
    YES! Thank you, Silver!

"Oh, it's great to be back". Well, I betcha it is. Next chapter will be... Interesting *streches gauntleted hands in anticipation*

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Awman and I get reminded about this after that chapter?!
    I dunno what happened... maybe I didn't want to post in case of offtopic, and I didn't get a subscription.

Anyway, everything til now is awesome. Fire is pretty. ^_^
    (Sits and waits)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.