New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

Ooh, awesome chapter. Have at 'em, Miss Penny!

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Good job once again, Silver. I wonder how they are going to defeat constantly regenerating and superpowered Grim, though

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

...yikes. Poor Penny...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Only 3 posters? I guess this serves as a leason on letting the story hang for too long.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #605

We're (for the most part, I think) still here. We just don't have any questions or things to speculate/argue about, and thus, we don't post.

Or, all of the posters just left. Could be either one... or neither.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #606
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Only 3 posters? I guess this serves as a leason on letting the story hang for too long.
    I was gonna post, but I didn't have time to read through replies when I read it, so I just got it off the index at the front.

it was awesome anyway
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    We're here. Watching. Waiting.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. Thanks everyone.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, just a question, did anyone actually make that TvTropes page?

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, great. They sure have a problem on their hands now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Bugbear in the Playground

If Grim draws power from darkness, and Viola from sound, why don't Kurama and Penny just begin to yell to give her more ammunition?

Anyway, great battle sequences in the last one Silver. I was wondering if Penny could only make objects lighter, but it is good to know she just never needed to increase gravity till know.

*patiently follows*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

12. - Top - End - #612

Griffon

Still here, just a bit busy and have just read the next chapter!
    Good stuff my friend!

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 45

Spoiler
    Show
    Viola's charge did not falter one bit, even with Grim's statement. She gripped her sword tightly as both she and Kurama lunged at Grim. Grim smiled even more maliciously as a wave of dark mist materialized in front of him and proceeded to throw itself at them as a wall of darkness.

Kurama was pushed back from the dark tide, but Viola swung her sword and managed to cut a hole for her to squeeze through. She didn't look around to see if Kurama was okay. Her focus and attention was all directed on Grim. Grim's expression hardened a bit as more darkness materialized into a long strand of darkness in addition to another wall forming. It whipped itself in Viola's direction as if to cut her in half. Everything moved in slow motion as Viola swung her sword upwards to cut the strand in darkness in half, causing it to evaporate. As her sword still arced upwards, Viola tightened her right hand into a fist. Feeling the warmth spread throughout her hand, she threw her hand out and punched right through the wall of darkness. What resistance it had evaporated at her touch and her hand carried forward to hit Grim squarely on the jaw.

Grim stumbled backwards as Viola quickly regained her balance. She took a step forward and raised her sword again, ready to strike. Suddenly, she felt something wrap around her leg and held her back, causing her to stumble. Grim had recovered at that time and swung his sword upwards at her. Instinctively, she rolled away from the sword, but knew she was too late. She felt the force of the blow push her backwards onto the floor. She realized then that another strand of darkness had materialized and wrapped itself around her ankle. A faint tingling on her cheek caused her to reach up unconsciously. She felt a warm, sticky liquid between her fingers and pulled her hand back to see blood. Only then was she aware of the cut on her cheek that was dangerously close to her eye. She realized then, that it was only Rabbit's training that had caused her to avoid the worse of the blow.

Grim turned to face her and she felt the strand pull tight, anchoring her to the floor. She tried to get her sword up to block, but she felt another strand wrap around her wrist, anchoring that down as well. She watched helplessly as Grim swung his sword down, aiming right for her chest. In mid swing, another sword swung around and caught Grim's side. Grim reacted with a yell of pain as Viola saw the wound quickly turn to red ice. Grim backed up to glare at Kurama who was preparing himself for another swing. The dark mist was submerging Grim's side as Grim raised his sword to block Kurama. It was however immediately apparent that Kurama was going for more than just a swing. His body carried him past where the two swords met and his hand grabbed Grim's shoulder tightly. Instantly, and icy mist began to do battle with the dark mist as the two men became shrouded in them.

Viola jerked at the two dark strands holding her in place, before concentrating. Feeling the warmth spread throughout her, the strands melted away, allowing her to stand up. She then looked at the mist, seeing the glowing outlines of Kurama and Grim wrestling. With the mist being split nearly half and half, Viola charged for the dark mist part. spreading the warm feeling throughout her body, she dove through the mist and grabbed onto Grim as well. Grim yelled in frustration and surprise as he tried to throw both of them off. Yet Viola managed to cling on with no chance of letting go, and she could sense that Kurama was the same way.

Viola then felt the pressure of the darkness intensify, pushing down at her ever harder. Suddenly, Grim started moving backwards, as if to try and slide himself out of their grips. Viola and Kurama continued to hold on, as they suddenly felt their feet leave the floor. With the sound of the elements clashing with each other, Viola sensed that Grim flipped over the side of the balcony and they were now falling down the side of the fortress. The flipped around in mid air, neither one of them letting go of Grim as the three of them raced downwards. Viola felt their trajectory shift rapidly, and she realized Grim was trying to use the darkness to right himself. However, with Kurama's mist and her sound, they were preventing the darkness from making real progress.

As they fell further, Grim's frustration reached the breaking point. Gathering himself together, it felt like he was suddenly exploding as darkness burst out from him. It was all they could do to hold on as the darkness raced past them, trying to peel them off. Then, the darkness found a hole in the elements and erupted from it with amazing force. This seemed to catch Grim by surprise as they suddenly made a 90 degree turn and were flying sideways. Almost instantly, they crashed through what felt like a window. The glass shattered and flew as the three of them tumbled inside.

Viola felt herself come in contact with something hard up to waist height and it peeled her off as Grim and Kurama raced past. She fell over backwards onto the ground with the air knocked out of her. Gasping for breath, she slowly made her way back up onto her knees. Opening her eyes, she saw that she collided with a large desk while Grim and Kurama had tumbled over it. She slowly pulled herself up, and saw that Grim and Kurama were doing the same, having been separated finally.

Viola nearly froze in shock as she beheld which room it was. The unmistakable decorations of Mordokai's office looked back at them all. With a lurch in her stomach, Viola realized that it was here that she first met both of Grim and Kurama.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-28 at 12:55 AM.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

This was surprisingly hard to write out. My brain hurts.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

And here we once again see what happens when Hubris gets ahold of someone. It seems that Grim will be easier to beat than anticipated after all. I wonder if Mordokai will join the fray as well, as they crashed into his office... And what Grim's endgame really is. It is still not clear... but I think we will see eventually

Great chapter once again, Silver!

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh... Poor Silver. It turned out great!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

What, no dialogue? Anyways, it's great.
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    What, no dialogue? Anyways, it's great.
    Its hard to speak when you're fighting to the death. Mostly its just grunts and groans.

19. - Top - End - #619

I found the last line to have a very deep meaning. Nice work Silver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

20. - Top - End - #620

Griffon

Again, another good update Silver... the tension/excitment, just keeps building!

21. - Top - End - #621

Beautiful beautiful. My ice powers are just amazing.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 46
    -Cast-
    Grim
    Kurama
    Viola

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurama and Grim are breathing heavily as they finished standing up. Grim glares mercilessly at Kurama as he raises one of his hands. Darkness began to swirl around into a ball around his palm. Viola gasped as she realized what Grim was going to do.
    "Time for you to die, Kurama. Dark Crusher!"

The darkness quickly formed into a sphere of darkness, with the light around it bending towards the center. Grim then holds his arm back, ready to throw it. Viola tries to scramble around the desk to stop him. But as she grips her sword, she know she'll be too late. Time seemed to slow as Grim prepared to throw the deadly ball of darkness. She glances over at Kurama, who was raising his own hands futility in defense. Until...wait, was Kurama smiling?

"Absolute Zero!"
    Kurama extends his arms out in front of him. Instantly, a wave of frosted mist shot out at Grim with incredible speed. Even with everything in slow motion to Viola, it seemed to cross the room in an instant, completely submerging Grim within the frost. Viola paused for a moment before the large dark orb suddenly exploded outward where Grim was.

Both Viola and Kurama slid to the floor, trying to keep themselves from being thrown into the black hole trying to envelop them. Air rushed past Viola's face as she was holding on with all her might. However, after a few seconds the orb shrunk down quickly into nothingness. Viola slowly looked around at the spot Grim was at to see if he was gone.

It proved to be false hope as Grim was standing there breathing heavily with the look of shock on his face. He stared at Kurama in disbelief.
    "What did you...?"

Kurama smiled back at him as he raised his sword, pointing at the crystal.
    "Surprise!"

Grim stared at it a moment before comprehension dawned on him. Snarling angrily, he bent over facing the ground. Then slowly, he began to raise his torso back up. It seemed to Viola as if he was inhaling deeply. Her eyes then widened as his face came back into view. Darkness was rushing into Grim's eyes and mouth. He arced his back as he absorbed more of the black mist. Finally, he stopped and stood standing there completely refreshed. It was Grim's turn to smile now as he looked at the tired forms of Viola and Kurama.
    "You know that part of the fight with Penny and falling off the fortress? Well, none of that actually happened, at least to me."
    He grinned smugly at the pairs tired looks.
    "Now then, where were we?"

Viola gripped her sword angrily as both she and Kurama stood up. In unison, they both charged at Grim as fast as they could. Grim blocked their blows, but that was all he could do at the moment. Both were attacking him with such ferocity that Grim even had to take several steps back.
    "We... will not lose... to the likes of... You!"
    Viola manged to speak out between blows at Grim.

Grim however parried a blow from Kurama, blocked her sword, and swung his arm across her face, knocking her over.
    "Oh, I really doubt that at this point. Did you say good-bye properly to Penny? I'm going to make sure she's awake before I kill her. They say the sound of a dying child is so unique it can't be forgotten. I bet I'm going to enjoy that sound for as long as I live."

Viola rose angrily and raced at him. She had had enough of Grim. Common sense was forgotten as she just wanted to hurt the man as much as possible. So it shouldn't have so much of a surprise that a blast of darkness had flung her across the room, causing her to hit the wall with tremendous force and collapse. As she got up feeling slightly dizzy, the sound of swords clanging caused her to look up. Grim and Kurama were locked into a fierce battle. Ice had appeared all over Grim's darkness armor as Kurama's blows were getting closer and closer.

Viola stumbled as she tried to step towards the fight. She had to stop for a moment and let herself recover from the blow. Blinking, trying to stop her vision from spinning, she once again looked up at the two men. Kurama took a step back and gripped his sword in both his hands. A thick mist quickly surrounded his sword as he tried to cleave his sword at Grim. Grim made to block the sword, but as he did so ice quickly formed along his arms, freezing it in place. As Kurama's sword struck the darkness armor, it gave way, allowing the ice to race through onto the regular armor underneath. Grim let out an intense angry roar as darkness suddenly erupted from him, shattering all the ice. The sudden darkness caused Kurama to step back, shielding his face. The next thing anyone knew, Grim had Kurama suddenly by the throat and hand pinned him against the wall.
    "Enough of this!"
    Grim raised his sword. Kurama wrestled futility against the hand choking him. Fear and urgency filled Viola as she raced forward.
    "NOW DIE!!"

Grim started to swing his sword down onto Kurama. Viola watched in terror and rage as the sword inched closer to Kurama. Desperate, Viola yelled out angrily at Grim.
    "NO!"
    Grim looked around in surprise. He let go of Kurama as he tried to turn around to intercept Viola. With her own sword in hand violently vibrating, she lunged forward to stab Grim right threw the chest. Neither the dark armor nor Grim's regular armor did anything to stop the sword as it pierced right into Grim's chest. Viola then found her face within inches of Grim's as she finally came to a stop.

They both stared at each for a moment, before Grim gasped in pain. Blood began to trickle from his mouth as he looked down. Viola looked down as well and saw that her sword had pierced right through Grim's heart. Viola stared at it for a moment, before painfully coughing up blood as well. Before she even looked over, she knew what she would find. She could feel Grim's sword sticking through her own chest as well. Her eyes then found Grim's crystal embedded in his sword. Rapidly, the crystal's darkness seemed to fade before her eyes until it became translucently black. Then the crystal slipped out from Grim's sword and slowly fell towards the ground. As Viola's eyes followed it, she saw cracks quickly forming over the crystal. Then upon impact with the ground, the crystal shattered into countless pieces that skittered across the floor. They lingered for only a moment, before quickly evaporating into nothingness.

Viola looked back up at Grim, as his eyes slowly closed. Just as slowly, Grim began to fall over backwards, sliding neatly out of the sword that had pierced him. With an almighty profound sound, Grim hit the ground, no longer moving.

Viola stared down at Grim for a moment, before coughing up another amount of blood. Slowly, she stumbled back until she flattened herself along a wall. Slowly, she slide down it to the floor, grabbing Grim's sword as she did so. She could feel the strength leave her by the second as her vision began to blur. Looking up, she saw movement racing towards her.
    "Viola! VIOLA!"

Arms were gently cradling her as Kurama's blurred face swam into view. She blinked confusedly.
    "K-Kurama...?"

"That's right. I'm right here. You're okay now."
    Her eyelids began to get incredibly heavy. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the light of her crystal rapidly fade.
    "No... NO! Viola! Viola stay awake!"
    Her eyelids slowly made their way down, covering the entire world with a curtain of darkness.
    "Don't you dare close your eyes! You hear me?! Keep those eyes open!"
    Darkness enveloped her as she began to feel herself descend downwards. All sense of the world seemed to leave her as she fell down farther and farther. Kurama's voice became fainter and fainter.
    "Viola! No, Viola! VIOLA!!"
    ...Who?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-28 at 01:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Dun, dun, dunnnnn...

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

Ooo, who is this mysterious Auditor!Viola person...
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

25. - Top - End - #625

WAHHHHHH!! Not another one! Why do all my partners have to die!
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ouch. I seriously didn't see that coming... Well, I guess there is only so much punishment even invincible man can take before he simply keels over

Good chapter again, Silver! Looking forward to see what happens now that the paladins have seemingly won the day

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no! Grim!
    Uh... I mean... Viola!

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Ya... I really need to figure out a way to not have my work accidently delete itself when I'm typing up the next part.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Ooouuuch. DX (Cuddles)

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, a sword through the gut rarely ends well. But we're talking about a main protagonist here. Hooray for Plot Immunity!
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.