New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Sure. I don't turn anyone away as stated in my first post. Just make sure you post whether or not you want to be a paladin and if you do, please put down 5 different types of powers you want.
    I think I would like to be a paladin. and as for powers my first idea is shapeshifting (if its not to powerfull. just something like turning int a bird or somthing.) another might be the ability to control water, (because of the possibleitys like controling blood and stuff like that.) Another is bing able to clime walls, another bing able to see somones intentions, another the ability to inspire peopl. Thos are just what i would like to be able to do.
    I'll make avatars if any one wants them.
    Cool comic
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traker View Post
    I think I would like to be a paladin. and as for powers my first idea is shapeshifting (if its not to powerfull. just something like turning int a bird or somthing.) another might be the ability to control water, (because of the possibleitys like controling blood and stuff like that.) Another is bing able to clime walls, another bing able to see somones intentions, another the ability to inspire peopl. Thos are just what i would like to be able to do.
    Okay, I'll start thinking about it then.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

I like the way this is going? Could I please be a paladin? My power could be either control of water or shapeshifting. Thank you.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I like the way this is going? Could I please be a paladin? My power could be either control of water or shapeshifting. Thank you.
    Sure, I put you in. Although I can't help but notice that you seemed to just copy the person's post above you. Anyways, could you add 3 more powers for me to chose from and then I start thinking about how to add you in.

Also a note to everyone, I do need non-paladin characters in this story that still play crucial roles and are still awesome in their own way with out the power. So something you all should consider.

One more thing, Part 20 is posted on the bottom of the previous page. In case anyone might have missed it.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Zomg. Recent chapters have been utterly, utterly awesome. ._.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Sure, I put you in. Although I can't help but notice that you seemed to just copy the person's post above you. Anyways, could you add 3 more powers for me to chose from and then I start thinking about how to add you in.

Also a note to everyone, I do need non-paladin characters in this story that still play crucial roles and are still awesome in their own way with out the power. So something you all should consider.

One more thing, Part 20 is posted on the bottom of the previous page. In case anyone might have missed it.
    I can be a non-paladin then. Whatever you need. And I wasn't copying him!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

I concur with Lix on this. After reading this, I seriously want to contribute back to Silver someway, and if their is anything we can do to help, please tell us (or at least me)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

If you'd suggested we be non-paladins before, I'd have offered to be the villain's beautiful assistant. XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

9. - Top - End - #99

Grim seems too angsty to have a beautiful assistant.I'm surprised your paladin power wasn't seduction actually.

Spoiler
    Show
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

*just finished reading through the rest of the thread*

That was awesome.

I'd happily play a part in the story.

I don't mind whether I'm a paladin or not, but if I am, I have five powers you could use.

Improved Speed/Reflexes sorta thing;
    Generation of lightning;
    A defensive power, possibly to do with stone (could incorporate weight as well);
    Altering states of matter of self (solid, liquid, gas);
    And something to do with paralyzing/slowing the foe. Can't really get this one to work in my mind very well.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    Grim seems too angsty to have a beautiful assistant.I'm surprised your paladin power wasn't seduction actually.
    You think I need magic for that?
    Nah, didn't seem very... paladin-y. XD

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    Not angsty, just... Darker and Edgier than when he left

And besides, taking on all-comers with minimal effort was undeniably badass enough to warrant "lone wolf" status

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Can I betray the stuffy lawfuls and be your beautiful assistant? XD

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Can I betray the stuffy lawfuls and be your beautiful assistant? XD
    Only if I tell you to leave right in middle of final final confrontation with heroes so you can return later to find almost-dead me and have a sob scene where sympathy for villains is generated by bucketful

15. - Top - End - #105

Griffon

Just discovered this; great stuff!
    I'd like to play a part- not as a paladin though, someone else...I don't mind who...would quite like to be awsome..do you have anyone who is resentful of the paladins? If not, I'll go with the non-paladin flow

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    Only if I tell you to leave right in middle of final final confrontation with heroes so you can return later to find almost-dead me and have a sob scene where sympathy for villains is generated by bucketful
    What, are you kidding? You're an anti-hero at worst. Like... Quincy in Bleach. Or... 90% of the other characters, in Bleach. Or... Zabuza, from Naruto...
    Anyhoo, the point is, you're not the main villain.

But yes, if you die, i'll weep over your body with such emotion that not only will the stars weep, so will constructs, undead, and the Complete Monster we're fighting.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    What, are you kidding? You're an anti-hero at worst. Like... Quincy in Bleach. Or... 90% of the other characters, in Bleach. Or... Zabuza, from Naruto...
    Anyhoo, the point is, you're not the main villain.

But yes, if you die, i'll weep over your body with such emotion that not only will the stars weep, so will constructs, undead, and the Complete Monster we're fighting.
    Yes, it is pretty obvious I am just a pawn in someone else's endgame, and when my "destroy the paladin order"-goal is shattered the Big Bad will of course laugh at my face. I am not stupid

18. - Top - End - #108

Really it seems like Grim and the assassin are just two villains with the same goal but for different reasons. Grim desires power/revenge, and the assassin is sick and tired of his business being ruined by those pesky paladins.

I wouldn't say that Grim is an anti-hero, or even a well intentioned extremist. His character is that of a man who was rejected power due to his own flaws but cannot accept that, and therfore has created a conspiracy in his head that the entire academy is corrupt to keep the "truly powerful" from raising up.

A well developed villain?-Yes

Anti-Hero?-Not by the scales I use, but that could be argued due to personal opinion.

I don't think he is being used as a pawn either, but that he is the villain of this arc. I do wonder if he will escape to become the BBEG and form his own corrupt academy, or join another group of like minded individuals (ncluding the assasin).

Te non-paladins are going to play a huge part in the later part f the story once Viola can get out of the academy.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

That was some masterful use of words, Nil. I applaud you

What I think is the driving force behind Grim's actions seems to be his single-minded determination to grow in power, which might stem from the fact he was not strong enough to save those he cared about. Thus he tried to become stronger and stronger, but stopped caring about morals as time passed and simply exploded when he was informed that he was again not strong enough in one thing: a mention he propably hates and fears more than any else.

And as they say "All power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". He might have stopped caring about the things he tried to become stronger for in the first place... Lost his way, as it was.
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-07-06 at 11:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

He's somewhere between anti-hero and well-intentioned extremist. Like the examples I gave.
    Currently, he's a villain. I think it possibly, even likely, that time could change that. Especially given a greater threat-such as that assassin.

(And the point is moot, i'm still following him like a lovesick puppy. A pyromaniac lovesick puppy who's Plan A is 'Seduce'. XD)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I'm hoping that Grim can be redeemed by the end.
    What's going to happen to Viola now...?

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

*Twitch* My god, this is amazing.

Saint Nil turned me on to this thread and man am I glad he did.
    Currently Playing:
    Rikard Loghaine in [4E] Grandpre Academy

Antivian Qualinyr in [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell

Avatar by the talented and generous Grinner!!!!

Check out this awesome website for D&D, MTG, Anime, Music, Movies, and more!!!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok guys, I pmed this idea to Silverraptor, but until he gets back to me on it, I would love some critiquing.

Now, I too wish to be a paladin, but one of a different style. *Cause you know someone had to be different*

Now, I understand that this idea is very specialized, so if this won't work, let me know. I was just very inspired by your thread.

Now, from what I have read, almost all paladins so far are moderate to heavily armored warriors wielding a variety of one to two handed swords. Interesting, but what about the more fencing based fighting styles?

I have an idea for a dashing, roguish, almost-outlaw style paladin. Sounds crazy, yes? Of course it does! *I'm Chaotic Good, its what I do*

I want to play, or more appropriately, inspire a specialized paladin whose job is to hunt out threats hidden from the eyes of other paladins. One who isn't immediately recognizable to evil. He would be a rapier and dagger style fighter who mostly wears a metal breastplate, metal boots, and metal gauntlets, and then wears a specialized form of leather granting him incredibly mobility and speed.

Why? Because I want his power to be wind based. Gliding, redirecting smells, muffling sounds, mimicking sounds, increased wind resistance on foes, decreased resistance on self, creating hurricanes, and maybe even as an ultimate attack removing the air right out of a foe.

He would be a hunter, especially great for assassins, evil doers in high political places, and even self serving clergy.

Now, I know this isn't a recruitment thread, but I hope this sounds ok?

If wind is out for whatever reason, Luck is the other major power I would want. I imagine it would work similar to clairvoyance but without my character actually knowing what would happen first. Attackers slipping on rocks, blows falling short, allies showing up at the right time, etc etc.

If both of those are out, then powers based on stealth and tracking are in order.

Third power choice is easily invisibility. Very limited by itself, but combined with proper training, this could be very dangerous.

Forth power choice is Lightning based powers. Still fits my fencer theme. I'll leave it to you to fit in the stealth.

Fifth power is Rage manipulation. By making foes angry, they make mistakes and let slip important information. Easy for fencers to take advantage of some who throws all their weight behind a blow only to have it miss.
    Currently Playing:
    Rikard Loghaine in [4E] Grandpre Academy

Antivian Qualinyr in [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell

Avatar by the talented and generous Grinner!!!!

Check out this awesome website for D&D, MTG, Anime, Music, Movies, and more!!!

24. - Top - End - #114

Griffon

I like the sound of this Arq, something a bit different- good concept. I like the investigates/does things other paladins don't or can't do!

25. - Top - End - #115

Still you continue to impress me, Mr. Silverraptor. Your fight scenes are done quiet well. I sincerily hope you will continue on.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

I'm very glad that this is showing alot of support from new readers recently. So yes, I'll put down you guys for to come up later.

Now, for official buisness. For everyone wanting to join in, I forgot to tell you this, but could you also help come up with a nickname of your account names so that is sounds like it could be a real sounding name for the story? I'll put that in the OP as soon as possible.

Coffee: You don't have to switch just because I posted that. So if you still want to be a paladin, all you do is have to post 5 powers for me to chose from. Like I said in the OP, I have alot of this story planned out and need options to branch out with.

Minor note: Update coming really soon.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Minor note: Update coming really soon.
    Great! I can't wait to see what happens

*listens to eeeevil music and waits for the story to resume, holding bucket of popcorn close by*

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 21
    -Cast-
    Grim
    Viola
    Mordokai
    Nil

Spoiler
    Show
    "Dark Crusher!"
    Grim threw the sphere at her with all his strength. An insane grin etched on his face, anticipating the death of his opponent. To Viola however, everything was going in slow motion. As the sphere moved forward, her mind raced frantically.

What was she to do? She couldn't stop that sphere on her own. The most logical action was to dive out of the way and hope for the best. But she couldn't do that because Mordokai was right behind her. Could she justify doing so? Sacrificing Mordokai so that she could live? Or would she have to be the sacrifice?

She watched as the sphere came closer and closer until she finally made her decision. She wasn't going to move. She was going to protect someone else this time. Her mind thought back to Kurama's partner and how he sacrificed himself to save someone else. A fitting end, and she was going to follow the same heroic path.

She stood up higher. Eyes burning intense determination against the approaching death sphere. She gripped the hilt of her sword as tight as she could. The crystal began to grower brighter the more determined she became. It seemed to be supporting her decision fully. The glow became blinding as the sphere was now almost on top of her.

She positioned her sword behind her, and then swung. She didn't know exactly what she was trying to do. Maybe try and bounce the sphere off her sword. Or maybe look cool before dying. Anyways, she did it and suddenly so many things happened, she could hardly register it all.

Her sword was now super hot and felt like it would melt in her hand. A sudden resistance was pushing on the sword, a resistance that was on the verge of collapsing if Viola just pushed a little more. Her crystal was glowing intently, and in her mind, the angelic voice spoke out to her again. Except this time, she understood what it said.

'Protect'

Viola gave that extra bit of push on her sword, and the resistance broke. A great burst of noise burst forth from the sword and in the air in front of her, the air itself seemed to be breaking under the stress. Cracks had somehow appeared in the air itself with the image between the cracks distorted and blurred. It was as if she was looking through a greatly cracked window. The dark sphere impacted against the shattered air and activated. However, the air seemed rigid in place that the dark sphere couldn't suck in any of it. The result was it quickly disappeared.

A shock wave then pulsed from the shattered area, which now was roughly 15 feet in diameter, and a seen wall of force was throw out it all directions. Dust was thrown up into the air, as well as Grim being flown back as the shock wave reached him. The shock wave weakened enough that when it reached the other paladins, all they received was ringing ears.

Viola collapsed onto her knees, both hands supporting her. Her energy had suddenly dropped drastically and she was on the verge of fainting. Her vision started to blur and her eyelids became extremely heavy. But when an image of Kurama swam through her mind, she was instantly alert. A second wind allowed her to pick herself up on to her feet again, panting and not entirely stable. She didn't know what happened, but she knew she wouldn't be able to do it again anytime soon.

From the dust, Grim appeared. A spear was sticking out through the top of his right shoulder to his lower back. He grabbed the shaft of it and pulled it out. It was a sickening sight. Afterwards, the wound healed over quickly. Grim's face was expressionless as he was panting heavily as well. He raised his right hand and a dark mist began to form around it. However, it quickly dispersed from his hand and disappeared.
    "D-Dammit! How could my entire stock be gone? A whole week?!"
    He looked over at Viola.
    "I have enough of my power stored up for one more move, or continued healing. Given the circumstances, healing takes a priority."

Viola just glared at him again.
    "What's wrong? You scared?"
    She didn't know what made her taunt him like that.

Grim's face contorted in anger.
    "Oh, so you're suddenly the cocky one, eh? Well then, just try and stop me. There's nothing you can do!"

Viola took a deep breath. She knew he was right. As long as he had his healing ability, she wouldn't be able to hurt him enough before she was out of energy. He was also too strong for her to try and wrestle him to the ground. What was she going to do? Her eyes scanned around the area and they briefly rested on Kurama. A sudden idea came to her at that instant.

She raised her sword before her and then charged forward at Grim. The expression on his face revealed that he was trying to decide if she was that dumb or cocky to attack him head on, or perhaps both. He swung his sword to collide with her, but that's what she was expecting. She quickly dug in her feet and hopped backwards, just out of reach of the blade as it swung by. She then used her sword and swung it at Grim's sword, pushing it further out of the way. Taking her free hand, she grabbed Grim's wrist and twisted it behind him. This time, she executed the move perfectly and Grim's arm was twisted behind his back.

A dark mist was forming around his arm and he was gritting his teeth in pain. Viola gasped out a mock.
    "You said so... yourself. H-Healing does no good if what...ever is hurting you still hurts."

Grim let out a roar of frustration and Viola suddenly found him resisting against her. She wasn't expecting him to be able to move at all, but it quickly made sense in her head. His crystal was trying to nullify the pain and so it didn't hurt enough to prevent him from moving. His struggling was draining the last of her strength and her eyes began to blur again. She blinked frantically to clear them, but to no avail. Behind her, she heard Mordokai's voice call out to her.
    "Viola! Just hold him there a little longer!"

Viola had no intention of letting go. She was committed to this until she had no more strength in her. Light seemed to be dancing around in front of her eyes around Grim. Was that her vision playing tricks on her in her tired state? Grim shifted positions suddenly that Viola had lost her hold and fell to the ground. She struggled quickly to get up. She had to get up. Grim can't be allowed to recover. She had to get him into that hold again.

After trying and failing several times to get up. A hand rested on her shoulder. In an instant, a calm feeling began to spread through her body. Her eyes became too heavy to leave open and she began to drift off. She heard a voice call out to her just before she lost consciousness.
    "It's alright Viola. You can rest now. It's over. You won."
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-23 at 01:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ouuuuch. It seems Grim got royally trounced. Well, that was only expected when his energy reserves began to give out...

I just wonder if they captured or killed him. Both are equally likely, allthough "capture" option would propably provide interesting dialogue later on

Like rants

@V: I see what you did there, my good man
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-07-10 at 03:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Griffon

Cool next chapter, I wondered how Viola would stop Dark Crusher! As for nicknames for my account name, I would say Grim...but that's already been taken by SOMEONE!
    So how about Lock?