New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law (Thread The Third!)

Quote Originally Posted by Closak View Post
    *Grabs Lloyd and forces him to listen*
    Now be a good paladin.
    The only good paladin is a dead paladin. Unless they are awesome (which is subject to my approval).
    -Xavez
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    The only good paladin is a dead paladin. Unless they are awesome (which is subject to my approval).
    -Xavez
    ...Why do you say this?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

He's Chaotic Evil.
    Well, at a guess.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I dunno. Dark lords are usually lawful. Anyhow, I think music from other fantasy games would work for this comic. Like the Odin Sphere sountrack.

Here's something for an important battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZGrpKTp7DA

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Fire Emblem has a great selection of music.

Exhibit A.
    Exhibit A with enhancements.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

6. - Top - End - #96

Oh yeah, Fire Emblem would be a great one too. Can't believe I forgot.

Thanks, both of you. However, if I don't feel 100% on whether or not a piece would fit, I'm not going to use it.

In any case, update tomorrow, I love the summer schedule even though I have regents for the next too weeks, yadda yadda yadda.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    In any case, update tomorrow, I love the summer schedule even though I have regents for the next too weeks, yadda yadda yadda.
    Is that a type of exam, or are actual regents coming over to crash on your couch?

(I hate when they do that. They never help with the damned dishes.)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closak View Post
    ...I didn't mean them *Points at a group of elves who are bragging about their superiority and bullying other races for being inferior* I meant those guys, who a heavy majority of the elven race seems to belong to.
    You-know-who among them.

But you know, exceptions to the rule and all that...*Grabs a torch and pitchfork* Hello, my name is karma, prepare to suffer.

I just be right over here, torching the elven military high command...
    That show them.

Let's just say that i happen to agree with Matt on his dislike of elves, though while he dislikes them out of jealousy, i dislike them because of how arrogant and sure of their own superiority most of them are.
    The whole part where they seem to think that anything they do to someone else is justified no matter what but if someone does the same thing to them it's a horrible crime that must be punished also helps.
    Personally, when confronted with an elf, I just chuckle and think of this.
    I'm not to keen on them myself, in fact I'm a proud member of the team dwarf, as I figure if we have to revere an elder race, it will be one that is of actual benefit, and stoicism appeals to me. I like your concept of differentiating dwarves from conventional ones. Personally, I always make my dwarves sound and look like a slightly compressed Barry White, unless it's a more hardline setting, in which they look and sound like a slightly compressed Sean Connery.
    However, the elves are not your enemies, nor anyone elses. Sparkly vampires are. Search your feelings, you will know it to be true.

Now that the obligatory elves/dwarves problem is out of the way, let me move on to the primary one of Janine in #41. Whenever sex appears in a medium, I make an effort to deconstruct it until it becomes either hilarious or terrifying, so here we go.
    People with no sense of humor, limited experience with the opposite sex or to young to be ready to read about certain themes, I suggest you look away from the following passage. Or, in fact, the internet in general, but that's not important right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    #41: That She Lasted So Long Is A Miracle In Itself

Wow. And I was thinking that Radic yelling about Orcs in the third panel was gonna have a much bigger (and longer lasting) impact on Janine.

Then she realizes that elves are very...*cough* dexterous.
    Now, our cleric has a persona of a very experienced woman, however I am forced to wonder whether she just talks a good game, and is actually fairly uncertain of how things happen when bumping ugliessmiting evil.
    Why?
    Well, because the attribute she chooses her partners for is dexterity. Or, if you prefer, flexibility (which I suppose I can understand) and speed.
    That's right. Speed.
    Constitution (stamina and endurance) would make far more sense, as most people like their encounters to take more then a few seconds, and many like them to go as long as possible, if you know what I mean. Moving fast enough to catch a bullet might impress somebody special, but I'm sure she'd prefer it later if when you get her alone you would take your time.
    Charisma (charm, force of personality, and physical good looks) would make even more sense, though of course different people are attracted to different body shapes, and perceptions of beauty is as much (if not more) a product of culture as it is instinct.
    Even strength would be a fair argument as it would at least ensure a good physical shape and ability, which would make things interesting in much the same way as flexibility offered by dexterity would without making them...brief.
    Yet she chooses her partners for dexterity, in short quick, fast encounters. Indeed, elves have a constitution penalty, which makes this even worse. I mean, you may as well stop the she in the title for he, and you have a summation of their encounter.
    Now we could assume she likes the toned, swimmer look, except her primary (though by no means exclusive) target of affections seems to be Lloyd, who is probably bulky if his armor, big weapon (and you know what they say about men with big weapons) and high constitution are anything to go by. So either she is open to many concepts of beauty, like dragons, or she doesn't really know what she is talking about, and her encounters tend towards the unsatisfying.
    This could actually explain quite a bit, I mean in particular her lack of anything resembling tact or subtlety, in that she may actually have spent quite a bit of time cloistered with her urges suppressed forcibly and no human contact of that matter or experience with the other gender, and is compensating now that she is free to do as she will. Unfortunately this hypothetical interpretation has no solid understanding of sexuality due to lack of the subject being explained to her in a frank matter, and so she doesn't actually know what she is supposed to be looking for. In truth, her making herself available in this way is an act of rebellion rather then real desire, because she fears returning to the temple and becoming undesireale.
    With any luck, the next comic will cover it in gratuitous detail.

Anyway, hope you get a chuckle out of that. I'll try some crack pairings later.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2010-06-14 at 06:18 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

9. - Top - End - #99

Oh, for a second I thought you were serious. We'll find out more about Janine much later.

And one of the things I find really entertaining here is the elf/dwarf dynamic. They live right next to each other; heck, they share the same gods! They get along really well and neither side is pretentious and they both contribute to society equally, though in different ways.

Ooh! Crack pairings!
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-06-14 at 07:01 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100

Sorry for the double post, but it's everybody's favorite time: New Comic Time!

#44: Matt Could Have Told You Years Ago
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

XD
    Just XD

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

*snort*

Even the kitty is shocked. Ha! Here's looking forward to the next update, CI.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

13. - Top - End - #103

Thanks guys. Although really, you should have seen this coming. This IS Elfland and the comic IS called Murphy's Law.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

So now we know that Janine doesn't look at Radic... that way.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #105

...Why do you say this?
    Because it's the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    He's Chaotic Evil.
    Well, at a guess.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    I dunno. Darklords are usually lawful.
    DING DING DING! That's correct! But there's no space in Darklord!

Anyways, I like the comic, but it applies a way overused gag which isn't even true. You can easily determine an elf's gender, it's just that everyone copies off of Rich.
    -Xavez
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Nope.

Because it's the truth...
    But why? (And in case you didn't realize, I don't exactly subscribe to "The only good X is a dead X" idea.)

Anyways, I like the comic, but it applies a way overused gag which isn't even true. You can easily determine an elf's gender, it's just that everyone copies off of Rich.
    My idea is that elves have much lower levels of testosterone and estrogen and all those other sex hormones. (In fact, it's DnD canon that male elves can't grow facial hair.) Therefore, their secondary sexual characteristics are much less apparent, generally making it difficult for the untrained eye to discern an elf's gender. If you'll look at Serrin, she's a half-elf and yet she's pretty flat-chested.

However, since Serrin's a half-elf who has been living with elves her whole life, she's able to discern these subtle characteristics easily. The others...Not so much.

Of course, there are always exceptions.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

For some reason, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Although I have to wonder how far they got before Janine's *ahem* "discovery".
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaril View Post
    For some reason, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Although I have to wonder how far they got before Janine's *ahem* "discovery".
    How far do you think?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Clothes removal. The elves wouldn't have any reason to suspect she'd freak decline such a luscious two-course dish.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

20. - Top - End - #110

Clothes removal. The elves wouldn't have any reason to suspect she'd freak decline such a luscious two-course dish.
    Ummm...I'm gonna answer elsewhere, okay?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, I'm confused. Since elves are fictional, how do you determine what "isn't even true" about them?

If the author says "In my world, humans have a hard time telling male and female elves apart", are you trying to tell her "No, they don''t"?

Not meaning to sound critical, I just don't understand the statement...

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *snort*

Even the kitty is shocked. Ha! Here's looking forward to the next update, CI.
    But you'll notice the cat stays shocked for one less panel than Serrin (and starts a panel later). Take this as you will.

...at least not out loud...
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2010-06-14 at 11:30 AM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law (Thread The Third!)

Nope.

But why? (And in case you didn't realize, I don't exactly subscribe to "The only good X is a dead X" idea.)

My idea is that elves have much lower levels of testosterone and estrogen and all those other sex hormones. (In fact, it's DnD canon that male elves can't grow facial hair.) Therefore, their secondary sexual characteristics are much less apparent, generally making it difficult for the untrained eye to discern an elf's gender. If you'll look at Serrin, she's a half-elf and yet she's pretty flat-chested.

However, since Serrin's a half-elf who has been living with elves her whole life, she's able to discern these subtle characteristics easily. The others...Not so much.

Of course, there are always exceptions.
    *Falls down from chair laughing*

Brilliant! You made a joke about elves being ambiguous in gender and have a biological explanation for why, just brilliant!

*Continues laughing*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

#44: Matt Could Have Told You Years Ago
    *comic*
    Heh, I was sitting here feeling pretty down, but that one actually got a laugh out of me.
    Hilarious!
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

another awsome comic :P

my guess is Jannine went for the Dexterus Elves becuse of all the diffrent and fun posistions they could go into... if they were males that it
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Thanks, everybody!

And glad I could cheer you up, CWater.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I kind of suspected that this would happen to Janine one of these days, but your latest comic was really funny. The expressions in the last two panels, along with Janine's relatively subdued expression were what did it for me.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2010-06-14 at 02:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. Since elves are fictional, how do you determine what "isn't even true" about them?

If the author says "In my world, humans have a hard time telling male and female elves apart", are you trying to tell her "No, they don''t"?
    Yup. It's what I do. That and pure, unchained evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    another awsome comic :P

my guess is Jannine went for the Dexterus Elves becuse of all the diffrent and fun posistions they could go into... if they were males that it
    You know, I know of at least two minors on this forum. Please don't discuss that stuff. Kids play this game, you know!
    -Xavez
    Last edited by Darklord Xavez; 2010-06-14 at 02:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law (Thread The Third!)

You know, I know of at least two minors on this forum. Please don't discuss that stuff. Kids play this game, you know!
    -Xavez
    I'm technically a minor...

Not that you can say anything worse than the stuff the school system teaches us mandatorily
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

if you read murphys law, you can stand anything i just said. if i go into explicit detail(wich i wont), then probibly not so much.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2010-06-14 at 04:02 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show