New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law (Thread The Third!)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Coffee, just how long do you have planned ahead?
    All the way to the final strip, right down to the name and most of the panels and dialogue. I mean, obviously I don't have every sentence and every individual strip planned out, but I know what the world is like and where the characters are going and everything about the plot. Murphy's Law is going to be about 450-500 strips long.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

500 strips? about 2-4 pages of comments per strip? 50 pages of comments per thread?... ok i suck at math, how many threads is that?
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2010-06-17 at 11:58 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

That's about 20 threads minimum.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh, boy. You wouldn't be planning to challenge Rich Burlew himself for total number of forum posts per comic, are you?
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2010-06-18 at 12:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    500 strips? about 2-4 pages of comments per strip? 50 pages of comments per thread?... ok i suck at math, how many threads is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    That's about 20 threads minimum.
    30 actually. See, 3 pages x 17 (strips) = 51 pages (~one thread), and 30 (threads) x 17 strips = 510 strips. (I did the counting first by dividing, but it looks neater this way)

I'm just hoping all this success won't go to Coffee's head...
    ...'Cos it would be the comic that suffers from that.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

we will know things have gone terribly wrong if she starts announceing she is going to set up a murphys law booth at the next comic convention.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    we will know things have gone terribly wrong if she starts announceing she is going to set up a murphys law booth at the next comic convention.
    I think at that point it would be better if she got her own site, honestly, like anti-HEROES did (but not stop updating, obviously).

Honestly, that 30+ threads thing is kinda... I don't know, I can't find the right word. But why is this comic so popular? Don't get me wrong, it's good, but look at all the other fancomics. They don't get this much discussion.They're usually able to... *gasp* get more than a single issue per page!

Maybe it's because a lot of people like Coffee, and the atmosphere in the threads in eased, leading to more casual talking (and then leading to off-topic talking). Maybe she really IS that good. Maybe it's unexplainable. I don't know.

Just some half-asleep pre-final day of school musings.

Also, I leave for Japan tonight, so I won't be able to see any updates for the next 2 weeks. Don't do anything too major without me.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Oh, boy. You wouldn't be planning to challenge Rich Burlew himself for total number of forum posts per comic, are you?

I'm just hoping all this success won't go to Coffee's head...
    ...'Cos it would be the comic that suffers from that.
    If anything, I have serious self-esteem issues. So it's unlikely.

Why would I? There's only about 30 or so people who read this, as far as I can tell.

I think at that point it would be better if she got her own site, honestly, like anti-HEROES did (but not stop updating, obviously).

Honestly, that 30+ threads thing is kinda... I don't know, I can't find the right word. But why is this comic so popular? Don't get me wrong, it's good, but look at all the other fancomics. They don't get this much discussion.They're usually able to... *gasp* get more than a single issue per page!

Maybe it's because a lot of people like Coffee, and the atmosphere in the threads in eased, leading to more casual talking (and then leading to off-topic talking). Maybe she really IS that good. Maybe it's unexplainable. I don't know.

Just some half-asleep pre-final day of school musings.

Also, I leave for Japan tonight, so I won't be able to see any updates for the next 2 weeks. Don't do anything too major without me
    The problem is that I suck at making websites. Like, really REALLY suck. I'm computer illiterate. Plus I don't have the money for it, don't you have to pay?

I really don't know why this is so popular either. I mean, I'm an okay writer, but not an OMGAMAZING!!! one. And I don't know why people here like me so much either.

In any case, have fun in Japan! And the story goes where it wants to, but nothing really big happens. (I will be updating around 2-3 PM Eastern time today though.)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post

The problem is that I suck at making websites. Like, really REALLY suck. I'm computer illiterate. Plus I don't have the money for it, don't you have to pay?
    Blogspot and DeviantArt are a few free sites.

There's also (apparently) This, which is free and looks easy.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NXTangl View Post
    A cave with two signs on it: "Closak's cave" and "Do not disturb until Black Dragon mating season is over".
    And in the next strip, a house marked 'Lix' Place', with a sign saying 'Do Not Disturb Until All Mating Seasons Are Over'
    (Smirk)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the main benefits of keeping the comic on this site is free advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    There's also (apparently) This, which is free and looks easy.
    Hey! It's Freewebs! *checks* And the site I made all those years ago is still there.

If you did start your own site, maybe you could look into using ComicPress? I think it's specifically designed for webcomic sites. And I *think* it's free to download... Although if you use a free web hosting site, you could run into bandwith issues when your comic gets even more popular.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

12. - Top - End - #252

Griffon

If anything, I have serious self-esteem issues. So it's unlikely.
    I'm very sorry to hear that; I don't claim that I'd know how you feel, (that would be stupid of me) but let's say I have a hunch. And for clarity's sake, with my post I did not mean that this comic is not something you shouldn't be proud of, (I hope I got that sentence right -_-)on the contrary, as a matter of fact.

I think it's nice that Murphy's Law is on the same site as OotS; less running around the web

I really don't know why this is so popular either. I mean, I'm an okay writer, but not an OMGAMAZING!!! one. And I don't know why people here like me so much either.
    Well, you have bunch of interesting characters who have been able to avoid the most irritating stereotypes (and also less irritating ones), your story is building up nicely, and with intriguing hints instead of rushing into things. Okay, sometimes I feel things are moving a bit slow, but that's because I'm an unpatient person and reading this strip by strip can be...tormenting and I have feeling it's going to be even more so in the future. (But if I'd be reading this as a book, I'd likely have no complaints).

And I don't know why people here like me so much either.
    Now, why wouldn't we like you?

(I will be updating around 2-3 PM Eastern time today though.)
    YAY!! Hope that's before I'll have to run to catch a train...

13. - Top - End - #253

(I will be updating around 2-3 PM Eastern time today though.)
    Ooh, that's good. I'm not leaving until ~11 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    "Bastard" meaning "conceived out of wedlock."
    Janine was born 5 months before she would have been born if her mother had married before pregnancy.
    Thanks, I guess that makes sense. But why does she get so angry over it? It's not like there's anything wron with being a bastard child. My best friend is a bastard child, it's not like it's awkward to hang out with him or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear that; I don't claim that I'd know how you feel, (that would be stupid of me) but let's say I have a hunch. And for clarity's sake, with my post I did not mean that this comic is not something you shouldn't be proud of, (I hope I got that sentence right -_-)on the contrary, as a matter of fact.
    Thanks. And I'm just saying I highly doubt that this is going to go to my head.

I think it's nice that Murphy's Law is on the same site as OotS; less running around the web
    That too. And the free advertising.

Well, you have bunch of interesting characters who have been able to avoid the most irritating stereotypes (and also less irritating ones), your story is building up nicely, and with intriguing hints instead of rushing into things. Okay, sometimes I feel things are moving a bit slow, but that's because I'm an unpatient person and reading this strip by strip can be...tormenting and I have feeling it's going to be even more so in the future. (But if I'd be reading this as a book, I'd likely have no complaints).
    Thank you! And hoo boy, you got that right.
    Now, why wouldn't we like you?

Thanks, I guess that makes sense. But why does she get so angry over it? It's not like there's anything wron with being a bastard child. My best friend is a bastard child, it's not like it's awkward to hang out with him or anything.
    We have to remember the time period here. And Janine has a lot of mental issues.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-06-18 at 10:24 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

What happened to Closak's idea, Coffee? I'm still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    And in the next strip, a house marked 'Lix' Place', with a sign saying 'Do Not Disturb Until All Mating Seasons Are Over'
    (Smirk)
    Even Darklord mating season?
    -Xavez
    Last edited by Darklord Xavez; 2010-06-18 at 10:50 AM.
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

When will we see Redneck Trees?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    Technically, she didn't say no. ;p
    Even Darklord mating season?
    I said all, didn't I?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    Look, I'm not saying any more about the plot, okay? But I put Water-Smurf's Tia cameo in as a thank-you, among other reasons.

In any case, here's what you've all been waiting for!

#47: A Rare Quiet Moment
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-06-18 at 01:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Oh Matt, your snarkiness is impressing even me. Keep up the good work, my man

Exellent comic! I loved how the most obvious "misunderstanding" plots get shot down from get-go

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Thanks, I guess that makes sense. But why does she get so angry over it? It's not like there's anything wrong with being a bastard child. My best friend is a bastard child, it's not like it's awkward to hang out with him or anything.
    I don't know; maybe her biological father might not have been the one who raised her, and she's touchy about that.

Oh, and Darklord Xavez: That was my idea. I just know enough about closak to know that he would love it.
    Last edited by NXTangl; 2010-06-18 at 01:23 PM.
    Executioner of the "It's Xykon, not Xylon, Zykon, Zylon..." Association. To join, copy-paste this into your sig and give urself a title.

Spoiler
    Show

Vaarsuvius & Kyrie are both girls.

Generation c + (c^2 - 0.117584c + i(1.20661c - 0.67425) - 0.05173)^2.
    If this is the first time you see this copy it into your signature, square the generation and add c. Fractal experiment.
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/

The Avvy is a NXT-Tangle

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

I like the mother. XD
    She's pretty.

It seems that Lloyd knows where this is going, but is half heartedly pretending to just go along with it. XD

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    Oh Matt, your snarkiness is impressing even me. Keep up the good work, my man

Exellent comic! I loved how the most obvious "misunderstanding" plots get shot down from get-go
    He's a rogue. It comes with the job description.

It's also good practice for my snarker skills as well!

I like the mother. XD
    She's pretty.

It seems that Lloyd knows where this is going, but is half heartedly pretending to just go along with it. XD
    She's about 180 years old.

Hey, he is genre savvy.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

She's about 180 years old.
    Your point? XD

25. - Top - End - #265

Your point? XD
    And married. With two kids.

26. - Top - End - #266

Griffon

Matt, you are my favourite character.

Hmm...I wonder what the future has in store for our heroes, being railroaded somewhere is rarely a good sign...for you.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Still nothing wrong with that, to some people.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Speaking of which, I'm guessing they get their noisiness from their dad, and that their mom isn't too pleased with that.

That was a cute exchange between Matt and Serrin (Oh, don't worry, Matt. My parents could reduce the surrounding country to ashes if they wanted! ^_^). Also, I've just noticed that Fir makes up for the height difference between her and everyone else.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

I'd ask the father to join in too. Maybe i'll get lucky and they'll be in the vein of V's parents. XD

30. - Top - End - #270
    Barbarian in the Playground

So the mother is a half-elf... or elf.

I like the mother. XD
    She's pretty.

Agreed. With both.
    -Xavez
    P.S. @NXTangel: Duly noted. It needs to LIVE!
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.