New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A Quick and Dirty 3.5=>PF Psychic Warrior

I just wanted the opinion on a quick fix i had in mind, to take the Psychic Warrior up to the power level of Pathfinder base classes.

• Skill points up to four per level
    • Add in Warmind class features
    • Space the new class features in the dead levels (those without bonus feats), such that there is a dead level, then three with with class features, then repeat. Note, this is only taking the currently dead Psychic Warrior levels into account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: A Quick and Dirty 3.5=>PF Psychic Warrior

Frankly, PsyWar is plently powerful on it's own. I think you should just boost the skill points, if even that. The psychic warrior should pretty much outstrip the fighter anyway, mainly because it has a useful set of psionic powers. It doesn't need more. It's fine as it is.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I always thought the psychic warrior was sort of bland. Thought you could always squeeze more kick ass out of a Fighter/Psion combo.The PF version needs beefing up slightly for the same reason they beefed up the paladin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

They're far above the paladin in terms of power. They immediately gain access to some useful powers, and it only increases throughout their career. From very low levels, they have access to things like Expansion, Hustle and Psionic Lion's Charge, all rather powerful. A well optimized psi-gish will probably overcome it, but that is because it's based on a full manifester. Furthermore, this combo (such as Ranger 2/Psion 8/Slayer 10. A powerful but simple psi-gish) doesn't gain access to some powers that are the backbone of many PsyWar builds. This doesn't mean that the PsyWar is more powerful, but frankly, it shouldn't need to be. Full manifesting is only weaker than full casting due to the abusive powers being in lesser number and they're still powerful as hell, if not as easy to break.
    The Psychic Warrior has a plently good niche of it's own, allowing people to gish it up at low levels, and remaining relevant at high levels as well. It certainly is leagues above the core fighter and paladin, which is a good thing, because weak, unversatile classes like that aren't a good balancing point. The PsyWar just isn't at the level of the full manifesters (especially psion and erudite), but it's good. It's at a pretty good power level for D&D/Pathfinder. It doesn't need beefing up, because it's already powerful enough.
    (Note: I didn't check the sourcebooks as I wrote this, so there may be mistakes.)
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2010-06-09 at 11:05 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Ok, I'm Assuming that PF Stands for pathfinder. That said, AS written The beefed up PF paladin is probably Pound for pound more kick ass than a psychic warrior. They need to be more inline with one another. But seeing as how there aren't any PF psychic books ******* out any time soon. the point is moot till than.
    Anyway done arguing :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The PF paladin is suffering from the same problems as it's 3.5 predecessor, they're just less obvious. It still lacks offense, having only smite to really back that up. The all-day buffs are all rather situational, though nice when they do come into play. The mercy thing is quite weak, if the afflictions mostly just come back. The spell list is likewise weak, and does little to fix their offense. It does have some decent support stuff, but it gets it way too late to be relevant. The divine bond weapon is pretty good, but that's pretty much it. The holy champion dr is easily negated, though the banishment is useful against outsiders.
    The psywar in contrast, has good offense from powers, utility from powers, defense from powers. (See a pattern here?) Powers are just that good.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!