New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Cantrip/Orison Compendium

I've noticed some other cantrips posted recently and I thought it would be neat to have a thread for people to post any of their homebrewed cantrips and orizons to share, receive help, suggestions, etc.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Cantrip/Orison Compendium

I figured that I would go ahead and add the cantrip I just created with the help of other board members.

Ignite
    Conjuration [Fire]
    Level: Duskblade 0, Sorcerer/wizard 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: One creature or object.
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial (see description)
    Spell Resistance: No

Your outstretched finger glows bright red and radiates heat like an ember, enabling you to set objects alight.

Make a melee touch attack that deals 1d3 points of fire damage and causes flammable objects (i.e. cloth, fur, oil, paper, wood, etc.) to ignite. A held object touched is allowed a Reflex save (DC = spell save (10 + spellcasting modifier)) to avoid catching fire. If the object catches fire, it is subject to the rules for catching fire in the DMG.
    Last edited by Revan Ordo; 2009-10-14 at 10:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Random Cantrips.

Made back in the days of 3.0, using older editions as inspiration, with a few snuck in that would probably be heinously unbalanced...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Set,

Some nice cantrips in that collection! Good job.

I've also got another cantrip that could probably use a little work.

Cauterize
    Necromancy [Fire]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 0
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Target: One willing creature.
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

With a touch of your hand there is a bright flash of light and heat that seals the target’s wounds closed.

With a touch, you cause a dying creature to become stabilized in the most painful way imaginable as you simultaneously sterilize and sear its wounds closed. This deals no damage, but causes severe pain in the victim that makes the creature sickened for 1d3 rounds.
    Last edited by Revan Ordo; 2009-10-16 at 01:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Revan Ordo View Post
    With a touch, you cause a dying creature to become stabilized in the most painful way imaginable as you simultaneously sterilize and sear its wounds closed. This deals no damage, but causes severe pain in the victim that grants a – 2 penalty to all actions taken by that creature for 1d3 rounds.
    Ooh, good one, kinda like using necromancy to purge disease from your body at the price of taking negative energy damage.

I'd have the severe pain give the Sickened Condition for 1d3 rounds, instead of a -2 penalty to all actions. Same basic effect, but uses a handy game mechanic to do so. The Sickened condition is, of course, moot, if the target isn't woken up in the next few rounds, since they'll sleep right through the pain. :)
    Last edited by Set; 2009-10-15 at 09:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Set,

Thanks. I agree with your assessment and have made the changes to the spell so that it grants the sickened condition for 1d3 rounds.

Others,

Let's see some more cantrips/orisons folks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Would you accept an index of 3rd party published cantrips? Just a Name/book/page index.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Can't Rip
    Transmutation
    Level: Sorcerer/wizard 0
    Target: One object.

You imbue a scroll or other piece of ordinary or magical 'paper' with extra durability. It's hardness increases by 5, and it's HP increases by 10.

Can Trip
    Transmutation
    Target: One creature
    Duration: 1 minute/level

You give a +1/level (max 3) bonus to all trip checks made by the subject.
    Last edited by Eloel; 2009-10-16 at 07:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ozgun92,

Not sure about the balance on Can't Rip. As for Can Trip good idea for a cantrip, but I think the duration should be 1 round or maybe 1 round / level (max 3). Just my 2 cp worth.

Vizzerdrix,

Sure. That is perfectly acceptable. I was wanting this thread to be a resource for cantrips/orisons. A thread where people could post homebrewed and other party cantrips and get help balancing them. My players love cantrips/orisons and use them even at higher levels when they generally aren't all that great. In fact, they usually create one or two unique cantrips each time they create a spellcaster character. One of my players once had a wizard/rogue/assassin that enjoyed nothing more than finishing off his foes with one of the damage dealing cantrips, usually modified by a couple of metamagic feats.
    Last edited by Revan Ordo; 2009-10-16 at 09:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomeWizardGuy

Set,

Some nice cantrips in that collection! Good job.

I've also got another cantrip that could probably use a little work.

Cauterize
    Necromancy [Fire]
    Casting Time: 1 action

With a touch of your hand there is a bright flash of light and heat that seals the target’s wounds closed.

With a touch, you cause a dying creature to become stabilized in the most painful way imaginable as you simultaneously sterilize and sear its wounds closed. This deals no damage, but causes severe pain in the victim that makes the creature sickened for 1d3 rounds.
    You should make the target one willing creature. there are all sorts of uses for being sickened.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

It's target must be dying, what is sickend going to do that dropping them further/killing them via acid splash isn't?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2009-10-16 at 01:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Create Wind
    Illusion
    Level: Sorcerer/wizard 0, Cleric 0, Druid 0
    Range: Ranged
    Target: 5x5 square

Your allies believe that you created a light refreshing breeze that flows through a certain region. Your enemies think you have created a gusty wind that mildly hurts them. All allies heal 1 hp, and all enemies take 1 non-lethal damage, per minute.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    It's target must be dying, what is sickend going to do that dropping them further/killing them via acid splash isn't?
    It's an arcane caster's (weak) Cure Minor Wounds. Its supposed to be used on allies, not enemies.
    Last edited by Eloel; 2009-10-16 at 01:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shinizak,

Thanks for catching that. I have already added (Target: One willing creature) to the cantrip's description.

Jokasti,

Interesting idea, but it is way too overpowered for a cantrip/orison. It can heal all of your allies for 1 hp / minute (It is way more powerful than the cure minor wounds orison that only allows you to heal one creature touched for 1 hp).

I think this idea would be better as a higher level spell after some work: The duration should be shorter (maybe 1 rd / level), the area of effect should be more clear (ex. 15' Cone, 10' Radius, etc.), the range should be more clear (ex. Close, Medium, Touch, etc. ), and the overall wording should be fixed a bit. Alternatively you could keep it as a cantrip by reducing the spell's effects (i.e. maybe make it affect one ally and one enemy within close range or something) Good luck with fixing this one up.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Suspend
    Transmutation
    Level: Bard 0, Sorcerer/wizard 0
    Components: V
    Target: One held object weighing up to 5 pounds
    Duration: Permanent

Holding the scrap of parchment in midair, you speak a word of power, remove your hand, and it remains there. "Excellent. Now I won't forget my shopping list."

This spell is a basic application of the principles behind an immovable rod. The target of this spell is suspended in midair wherever you place it.

Movement of the object to a new place, or any contact with a solid object for more than a second, ends this spell. For example, accidentally brushing the object has no effect, but using it to support weight will.
    Someday I'll have my anxiety under control, but until then, I'm prone to sudden month-long disappearances.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Violet Octopus,

Nice cantrip. Very well done. I could see my players using this one.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mage's Frustration
    Enchantment
    Range: 10 feet
    Target: Up to 1 living creature/round
    Saving Throw: Will negates

You can inflict minor pain on those around you. By emoting a slap, punch, poke or pinch, your target feels that sensation wherever you gesture to but no actual injury is caused. This gesture requires a free hand. The pain is enough to require a DC10 concentration check for spellcasting. The first time you target someone with the spell they make a saving throw to determine whether they are affected by that entire casting or not.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lysander,

This looks like a decent cantrip. However, I would make the following changes in order for my players to use it:
    Range: Close (for consistency)
    Duration: 1 rd / level (1 minute / level duration seems a bit much for a cantrip, but it might be okay as is.)

All in all good work. I hope to see many more homebrewed cantrips/orisons.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, here are a few more cantrips for your critique/enjoyment:

Apprentice’s Shield
    Abjuration [Force]
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round / level
    Saving Throw: None (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Apprentice’s shield creates an invisible, buckler sized mobile disk of force that hovers in front of you. The disk provides a +1 shield bonus to AC. This bonus applies against incorporeal touch attacks, since it is a force effect. The shield has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance.

Knockout Fist
    Evocation [Force]
    Level: Duskblade 0, Sor/Wiz 0
    Duration: 1 round / level

The local bullies have cornered you yet again, but this time you have the advantage. With a few arcane words of power and a gesture, your fists are surrounded by magical force that empowers your unarmed attacks. With a single punch the bully collapsed and the other two run away. It looks like apprenticing to the local wizard is going to pay off after all.

Your fists are enveloped by force energy granting more power behind your unarmed attacks. Your unarmed attacks deal 1d6 points of nonlethal damage + your primary spellcasting modifier instead of your Strength modifier for the spell’s duration.

Revolting Touch
    Necromancy
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: 1 round / level (Maybe it should be 1 rd or 1 rd / level (max 3) Really not sure here.)
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

With a touch, you cause the contents of the target’s stomach to rebel and threaten to return to the light of day.

You channel negative energy through your touch, sickening the target. You must succeed on a touch attack to strike a target. The subject is sickened for the spell’s duration.
    This spell has no effect on a creature that is already sickened.
    Last edited by Revan Ordo; 2009-10-22 at 07:42 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Steady Fate: Guide one target away from the extremes of both good and bad luck.

Spoiler
    Show
    Enchantment
    Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
    Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One creature within range
    Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

You alter the flow of fate around an individual. On its next attack roll, check, or save, it does not roll 1d20. It rolls 1d20 twice, adds the result, and divides by 2 (rounding decimals up) and uses this as its 1d20 roll.

Martial Insight: Strike with a melee weapon as if you were proficient with it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Divination
    Components: V, S, F
    Casting Time: 1 Immediate Action

You imbue yourself with a flash of insight that allows you the use of a martial weapon that you are untrained with. You cast this spell immediately before a strike with a melee weapon, such as a longsword. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity. You do not incur the usual -4 penalty for an unproficient weapon strike; in addition, you receive a +1 insight bonus on your attack.

Focus: A martial melee weapon.

Arithmetic Arcana: Solve any mathematical problem with instant ease.

Spoiler
    Show
    Divination
    Components: V, M

You imbue yourself with a flash of insight that allows you to instantly and correctly solve any sort of mathematical problem or riddle.

Material Components: A few beads used for counting.

Snuffing Swirl: Slay multitudes of trivial targets.

Spoiler
    Show
    Necromancy [Death]
    Level: Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: 5 cubic ft./level of creatures.
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates

You snuff out the life force of trivially weak creatures, such as mundane insects or animal babies. This spell fails to affect creatures of Tiny size or above, creatures with at least 3 intelligence, or creatures with at least 1 HD.

Puddlefrost: Instant thin ice rink.

Spoiler
    Show
    Transmutation [Cold]
    Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: 5 square ft./level of surface of a static body of water
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: None (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: No (Harmless)

You transform the surface of a body of water near you into a thin sheet of ice. The surface supports 10 lbs./level and can be broken with a Strength check DC 5 + Caster level (Max 10)

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Merk View Post
    Steady Fate: Guide one target away from the extremes of both good and bad luck.
    Martial Insight: Strike with a melee weapon as if you were proficient with it.
    Arithmetic Arcana: Solve any mathematical problem with instant ease.
    Snuffing Swirl: Slay multitudes of trivial targets.
    Puddlefrost: Instant thin ice rink.
    Snuffing Swirl is a neat concept (and I a similar spell for cleansing grain of vermin or mold or whatever), but the 5 cu. ft. / level of creatures seems a bit wonky. Does anyone really measure creatures by cubic feet?

I'd have it affect a 10 ft. by 10 ft. square (or a 5 ft. radius circle, but squares are easier to use on a map), and kill anything with 1 maximum hp or less (doing no damage to things with 2 or more hp, or even wounded creatures that normally have more than 1 hp). Nonsentient vermin, bacteria, molds, grass, etc. wouldn't get a saving throw, but other stuff would get a Will save to suffer no effect. Swarms of 1 hp or less critters (like locusts, or even rats), despite counting as a single creature with multiple Hit Dice for most purposes, would take 1d6 damage from this spell.

Divination cantrips? Really? That's awesome! I'd be tempted to say that the Arithmetic one should just give a +10 to an Int check / Engineering check to figure out an equation, instead of making it automatic. The Martial proficiency is awesome. I love the instant flash of insight nature of it, but I'd probably also want one that lasted a full minute and took a standard action to cast...

Well, here are a few more cantrips for your critique/enjoyment:
    Knockout Fist seems too good for a cantrip. 1d4 lethal damage (or nonlethal), allowing the caster to punch as if armed (without provoking an AoO) seems good enough for an effect that lasts multiple rounds.

In most cases, I think cantrips / orisons work better with a fixed duration / effect, not a level-adjusted one.

Having the buckler, fist and revolting touch last 1 minute, for instance, would put them in line with Guidance. If that's too much, make it last rounds equal to the caster's Int/Cha/Wis modifier (whichever is their casting attribute), with a minimum of one round. So an Int 17 Wizard would be able to call up a buckler for 3 rounds, whether he's casting it at 1st level or 7th level.

Revolting Touch, IMO, is fine at 1 minute duration, 'though, making it worth attempting for a 1st - 3rd level caster.
    Last edited by Set; 2009-10-22 at 07:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mage Tool, Least
    Conjuration [Force]
    Casting Time: 1 full round action
    Duration: 1 hour

You conjure an amorphous force around your hands that you can shape to serve a variety of uses. For the duration of the spell you do not take penalties on any skill check for lacking appropriate tools. Saws, hammers, and even lock picks can all be created by this spell. The tools created by this spell are of mundane quality and do not grant bonuses to skill checks attempted with them. If a tool you create leaves your hand it immediately dissolves and you must create another. The amount of concentration required to maintain a tool's shape prevents you from using them as weapons in combat.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

After reviewing the comments on the previous posts, I decided to make the following changes to the cantrips.

Apprentice’s Shield
    Abjuration [Force]
    Duration: 1 minute

Apprentice’s shield creates an invisible, buckler sized mobile disk of force that hovers in front of you. The disk provides a +1 shield bonus to AC. This bonus applies against incorporeal touch attacks, since it is a force effect. The shield has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance.

Knockout Fist
    Evocation [Force]
    Duration: 1 round +1 round / level (max 5)

The local bullies have cornered you yet again, but this time you have the advantage. With a few arcane words of power and a gesture, your fists are surrounded by magical force that empowers your unarmed attacks. With a single punch the bully collapsed and the other two run away. It looks like apprenticing to the local wizard is going to pay off after all.

Your fists are enveloped by force energy granting you the ability to make unarmed attacks without provoking an attack of opportunity. Roll a melee attack roll substituting your primary casting modifier in place of your strength modifier, your unarmed attacks deal 1d4 points of lethal or nonlethal damage + your Strength modifier for the spell’s duration.

Set, I agree that maybe the 1d6 was a bit much, however it is almost suicide for a sorcerer or wizard to try to go toe to toe in melee with any of the martial classes, especially so with an unarmed strike. But maybe getting to add their primary casting modifier to damage was also a bit much. Therefore I think being able to substitute your primary casting modifier instead of your Strength modifier to the attack roll might be an okay alternative.

Revolting Touch
    Necromancy
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

With a touch, you cause the contents of the target’s stomach to rebel and threaten to return to the light of day.

You channel negative energy through your touch, sickening the target. You must succeed on a touch attack to strike a target. The subject is sickened for 1d6+1 rounds.
    This spell has no effect on a creature that is already sickened.

24. - Top - End - #24

Here's one for consideration. I tried to make this a weaker form of Ghost Lantern (Complete Mage), where only one ondividual would get the benefit as opposed to one's allies. Tis spell seemed to me on par with Light, so I make it a cantrip/orison.

Shroud
    Illusion (Glamer)
    Level: Assassin 2, Druid 0, Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: S
    Casting time: Swift Action
    Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
    Saving throw: None

Light emanating from the touched creature is only visible to that creature.

This spell causes light emanating from the touched creature--or from objects or effects controlled or created by the touched creature--to be invisible to all but the touched creature. The light behaves completely normally from the perspective of the touched creature, but is completely invisible to all other creatures, including the touched creature's allies. So a torch held by touched creature would shed light and create shadows only for him, but the light from a campfire near the target would shed light and create shadows for all (unless, of course, the touched creature made the fire).