New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby, atop his pony somewhere near the center of the group, holds his lit stone high with one hand.

"Hurry, Druid," he urges, "We know already where we're going."
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

2. - Top - End - #272

Orestes launches into the air, the illuminated sunrod clenched tightly in his claws. You watch him recede into the distance, until he dives into the forest and you can no longer see his light.

The lizardman gives up trying to urge the party to safety. Instead he joins the group as it hastily packs up and dons armor.

Any extra gear left behind is placed in the wagons for safety by Kiah and Elthan (who has been watching the chaotic events without comment).

As quickly as possible, the party heads in the direction indicated by Kiah on foot. The worgs have a significant head start and no sign of them can be seen, even in the full moonlight.

Kiah adjusts the group's heading slightly. "They are on the move ..."

You realize, with a sinking feeling, that there is almost no way you will reach your friends before the worgs do.

[hr]
    The woods are extremely quiet. Too quiet really.

Suddenly, a bright light crashes down to the forest floor, like a comet. Tiriel is about to swat the light with her sword when she recognizes Nyssa's owl. The owl is holding a lit sunrod.

If the owl is surprised by Tiriel's newly enlarged form, he does not show it. Instead, he flaps his wings and moves toward the outer edge of the forest.

The four of you can see that the owl is trying to lead you out of the forest. You follow the bobbing light as quickly as possible. Tiriel occasionally bumps her head on bare tree branches as she tries to get used to her new height.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa stays in the middle of the group as they move. She gathers her robes and cloaks with one hand, trying to keep up with those who are more sure-footed in the woods.

Concentrating for a second, she says, "I believe Orestes has found them. He... he doesn't feel alarmed, so I don't think they're in danger yet."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Delphinia scowls as she sees the bright light. Owl. That Nyssa girl. What, they think we can't find our own damn way out? And might as well put up a bonfire and a sign saying 'here we are, come and get it!'. She follows along without comment.

5. - Top - End - #275

Tiriel

Stupid bloody trees.

ooc: funny thing, I was going to write something similar in my next post about Tiriel's height and trees, but ya beat me to it Dr.Bob.
    Since Tiriel is becoming so well aquanited with said trees, what kind are they? Are the tree limbs/braches a decent size? Are the branches low to the ground? Well you get my idea I think.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

6. - Top - End - #276
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Watching Orestes silently take off into the darkness, Nolan asks off-handedly, "Ever had owl, Yix?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"Well, nice to know they were worried about us, but I don't see why they couldn't have just sent the owl and not the light..." Shrugging, Lissa remounts Cloudy and dismisses her magical lights with a flick of her fingers. Now more than ever she's grateful to have the riding dog along; it's always hard for gnomes and halflings on foot to keep up with tall-folk in a hurry. She rides after Orestes, keeping wary eyes and ears open for any sign of danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix looks up broken from his recents thoughts, mainly dwelling on keeping up with the group and not becoming wolf-food, "Is it anything like chicken?" Yix asks licking his lips slightly.

9. - Top - End - #279

In the forest ...

The four of you can hear movement to your left and to your right. Whoever they are, they are keeping out of sight. Tiriel's height gives her a slightly better view, but all she can make out are low shadowy forms moving off to the side, in the opposite direction from where you are heading.

She notes that the bare branches might be climbable for the smaller members of her group. She could probably give Lissa and Delphina and their dogs a boost up into the higher branches with her bare hands if she wanted to.

[hr]
    The main party ...

You hustle towards the forest, directed by Kiah's link to your missing party members, making quick progress.

Just when you are about to enter the forest, however, you see that the worgs have left a welcoming committee behind.

You can make out at least a dozen pairs of red eyes glowing in the underbrush. A growled challenge is issued. "Our quarrel is not with you. Turn back and go in peace. Advance and we will rip your throats out."

10. - Top - End - #280

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

"If you hunt the members of our group, then your quarrel is with us." It's a simple fact to her, and she says it without considering that her fellows might feel otherwise. "However, perhaps there is a better way to solve this than violence. Allow our friends to rejoin us, and we can make reparations. Is there anything you desire more than revenge?"

What on earth would a worg want? Horses to eat?

11. - Top - End - #281

Nolan

The darkness does much to conceal the rolling of Nolan's eyes but little to stifle his groan.

Yes, let's reason with evil sentient wolves. Nyssa the negotiator, the worg whisperer. Gods!

He braces himself for the inevitable.

12. - Top - End - #282

The alpha worg's voice is clear, though you can not tell exactly where it is coming from.

"Unprovoked, your wizard attacked a young member of my pack. Her wounds will heal, but our laws are clear - an eye for an eye, a fang for a fang.

"Hand over your wizard. The rest of you may go."

13. - Top - End - #283

Fizahn:

Fizahn shrugs. "May I just point out he didn't kill her? As far as I'm concerned, you can beat him to within an inch of his life and we'll take him then and leave." Fizahn turns back and addresses the party. "I say we let them rough him up. I don't want to get involved in this. It's Callos's own fault. He did attack unprovoked. As long as they don't kill him, I got no problems." Fizahn turns his attention towards Nyssa and begins advancing on her. His voice becomes slightly threatening and just a bit angry. "You talk about them hunting one of our party and their quarrel being with us? Callos hurt one of their party so his quarrel is with them! Think about these things before you get me killed. They're in the right. Would you have stood up for Callos even if he had blasted a human, elf, or other form of gnome-oid? Please take time to reevaluate your position on this." Fizahn finishes talking and gives a cheerful grin that contradicts his previous tone. Once more, he turns his attention to the worg.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

14. - Top - End - #284

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

As much as I hate to agree with that gnome, if all they want to do is wound him...
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Tipping his polearm far forewards, Lumpy braces his weight against the weapon's butt, taking a moment's rest. he snorts softly, seeming unconcerned if the worgs hear him or not

"Small chance'a that. I ain't got a doubt they mean ta kill him. Worgs ain't exactly evenhanded."

16. - Top - End - #286

Fizahn:

Fizahn frowns at Lumpy's comment. "Okay, Nyssa, you can try talking them out of killing him, but don't think they'll let him go unscathed." He turns to Lumpy and grins. "Well then, Lumpy," he whispers to the dour half-orc. "Better him than me."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

17. - Top - End - #287

Nolan

"You won't go unscathed either if you speak to my sister in that tone of voice again, little gnome," Nolan says firmly.

18. - Top - End - #288

Fizahn:

"And none of us will go unscathed if she continues speaking to the worgs like she is." Fizahn mentions to Nolan in an offhand comment.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

19. - Top - End - #289

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

She smiles at her brother's defense, but she's hardly upset at Fizhan's words.

"Fizhan, you have a valid point. Of course I mean no disrespect for the worgs or the harm one of ours has done to one of theirs." Nyssa does her best to use her personality to appeal to the worgs, but has no idea how she comes across. Maybe someone will jump in. Or maybe it's pointless to talk. I have no idea.

She looks towards the worgs. "However, I know the winter must be harsh, and your packmate is injured. Perhaps one of ours could heal her? And possibly a gift to show our regret at the wrong that was done? A fight between us is senseless, it weakens us both, and both groups need to stay strong."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah
    Kiah puts her hand on Nyssa's arm and whispers "Do you mind if I try? I think we are all willing to let this happen if he's not permanently damaged and if we can be sure of it."

(EDIT: Opps, Nyssa got in front of me. Kiah'll wait to hear what the alpha worg says.)

21. - Top - End - #291

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa nods to Kiah. "Take it away, I'm out of my league," she says quietly.

22. - Top - End - #292

Elthan

Elthan looks nervous as the group attempts to negotiate with the worgs. Any minute now, the worgs are just going to get fed up and attack, or by the time we settle to something Callos will already be dead.

Or beat to an inch of his life. We'll find that out soon enough.

"I'd just like to say, for the record, I got a bad feeling about this."

(OOC: Elthan will Ready an Action to cast Slow should the worgs decide to attack. He doesn't do anything until then.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

23. - Top - End - #293

Aeroz

After a bout of silence, Aeroz finally pipes up.

"One of the main problems with the "eye for an eye, fang for a fang" philosophy is that in the end, everybody ends up blind and hungry. Instead of brutally mauling our esteemed wizard companion, perhaps he can just perform a service that will offset his "crime", as you put it."

His eyes shift back and forth as he tries to figure out how many worgs are present, and how many could possibly be taken out if the situation were to end up in armed (or clawed) conflict. Despite the tense situation, he seems to take up a relaxed stance.

[ooc: Readying to feint one of the worgs if it comes within striking distance of Aeroz in a threatening manner. Bluff +10]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Ever the cat-burglar, Lissa notes a broad oak branch within Tiriel's reach. A very inviting branch, given the howls coming their way. "Psst, Tiriel! Can you give me a boost up there?" She points. "Be nice if Cloudy could come too, but I've no idea how he would hang on." Lissa holds out her arms to giant Tiriel, looking like nothing so much as a child wanting mommy to pick her up. If they weren't in deadly danger, it would be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

She notes the gnome's words. I guess if this is going to happen here, that's as good an idea as any. "That's a good idea. I'm no good up close and personal. Can you get me up there too? Gladi'll fight if she has to."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach beast, the others be right. This hardly be a good use of yer pack, lets sort somethin out that wont be the end of both of us. And forgvie me calling yer 'beast' if ya have a more personal name or title that would be acceptable."

*Thokk stays where he is, though he lowers his sword slightly. His shield remains firmly in place*

OOC: Alpha designated as dodge partner

27. - Top - End - #297

LizardKin Druid

Ssathiya stood silently beside Fizahn and Thokk, exchanging glances with Trinark. The reassuring glances on his dark calm face did more to soothe the agitated reptilian more than he might have realised.

Despite his position in the tribe, he was never a social creature, his old master had remained concerned with his reticence until he'd shown up with Tcha one day.

Fizahn, Thokk & Elthan were the only living individuals, lizardkin or not that'd known him the longest. Remembering seeing Thokk die once he mutters in low voice but one which the dwarf would hear,
    "This is no hunt. We must not kill with..out cause"

Sentient races and the simpler beasts of the wild were a dichotomy to the simplistic druid. The wargs were an unencountered amalgam he did know how to respond to. The newcomers seemed to be able to engage them.

He stood claws at the ready with his neck spines erect.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

28. - Top - End - #298

Tiriel
    "Good idea. I was thinking along the same line. Hopefully the owl here can tell them where we are if there is trouble."
    Tiriel carefully lifts Lissa and Delphina into one of the sturdier looking trees (without extremly low branches). She then lifts the dogs up to join their owners.*

With the task at hand done, turns to the wizard and asks, "Callos, how much time before this spell runs out?

ooc:
    *the dogs could wedge themselves into a fork between 2 large branches etc... I'm more worried about how we're going to get them down.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih stares down the worgs, his wolf adding a vicious snarl.

"This is going nowhere..." He says quietly, his tone matching the wolf's growl.

Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark had witnessed standoffs like this before, or at least similar to this. When slavers both layed claim to a group of individuals they would often bicker back and forth. Neither side gained the advantage, it was all a bluffing game to bully the other side into backing down. This spectacle looked remarkably similar.

After one of the comments about Callos being thrashed and yet not killed... And its me who they're gonna want to patch up the poor idiot.

Trinark continued to watch, sparing glances around the group and in particular at the Druid. He still looked very agitated...