New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Nyssa

Nyssa rolls her eyes back at Kiah, and can't help another small smile. At least my brother isn't marching in this macho 'I can beat up a worg better than you can' parade. She side-steps to stand closer to Kiah and whispers, "If I was the worgs, I would just attack us rather than listen to this."

2. - Top - End - #332
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy simply shrugs, taking the implications that Thokk is a more suitable champion than himself in stride,

"Whatever. Whoever does it, just don't screw up."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elthan

Elthan walks over and stands in front of the Lizard. "Druid, there is nothing magical that I can do to win a fight. I will still have to fight, like anyone else, hand to hand, weapon to weapon, in order to win."
    "I have never finished a fight, not with magic or anything esle. I've never done so for the group, always watching from the back as they deliver the final blow and count thier kills. I've done enough watching, I want to do something important for the group. I'm ready to step up from the back. Please Druid, let me have this chance."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Thokk watches, torn, as Elthan and the Druid both try to take the spot of champion, knowing they each have their own reasons. The lizard, for protecting him and the group as the whole, and the remaining Elthan, trying to prove his own worth*

"Ach, Scaley one, that means a lot to me. But simply, this is what I have always done, and what I shall always do. If I get in trouble, I excpet yer to come and fetch me out, aye?"

*Turning to Elthan*

"Lad, we know you are there. Ye dont need to kill something to help. This isnt the place for you, play yer strenghts elsewhere. For this fight, I fight for us all. If ye can cast something to protect me, ye are helping in your own way, and thats all I can ask, lad"

*To the Alpha Worg*

"Ach, I asked ye once beastie, what are the rules of the engagement? Fer all yer talk of honor, you havnt dont the lest to explain how this honor fight shall be worked out."

5. - Top - End - #335

Tiriel

Tiriel is puzzled by the reactions of Callos of Delphina; neither really seems comfortable in the tree, but both of them seem to want to stay. As Delphina finishes, Tiriel says "Oh I can fix that if you, I mean we, need to see them.
    And how would we know anything about the cat?

Unlike Callos, Tiriel is completly at ease in the tree and gently swings her legs trying to ease her feeling of unease.

ooc: @ Callos - err, our little group knows nothing about the "shadow" cat except that a) it's a large cat, and b) it killed a worg wolf-thing.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

6. - Top - End - #336

The alpha worg ***** his head.

"Rules? Honor?" The worg seems genuinely puzzled.

Several other worgs shake their heads. Kiah senses a change in their attitudes. Excitement seems to have been replaced by contempt. It looks like they have interpeted the arguments and delay of the party as a sign of cowardice.

That Thokk seems to want to outline "rules" for a fight to the death apparently strikes the worgs as a sign of additional weakness.

[hr]
    Tiriel gradually shrinks back to normal size then clambers up into the tree, joining her companions.

The circle of "wolves" closes in slightly. They keep a safe distance from the tree, but they clearly mean to prevent any of you from escaping.

The owl shakes its wings in frustration, the sunrod still gripped in one claw, while it balances on a high branch with the other.

Stalemate.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy stretches languidly, something akin to a chuckle on his lips,

"I tried telling ya this was my kind'a fight. Ya sure ya wanna go through with it? I ain't so particular as ta need rules."

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah blows air noisily. "Yup, looks like you got it again. The worgs ain't too impressed with our arguments. They think we are cowards for all this chatter. Toss a dagger in the air or something. But we'd best decide quickly.".

She looks at Lumpy "Would a spell of protection be out of line?"

9. - Top - End - #339

Elthan

"Thokk, I know I don't have to do anything, but its just that which bothers me, that I could just be in the back, completly obscured. I know I don't have to do this for the group, but if so I'll take my chances and do this for myself."

"Kiah may be right. The worgs are looking a bit restless. Anyone who wants to do this, gather round. I'll cast an arrow and it will be decided randomly."

Elthan sets down his potions and spear, takes a step back, and after casting, a blue facsimlie of an arrow floats in front of him.

(OOC: Cast Prestidignation. DB or I can roll a dice after everyones voiced up. The arrow will spin and stop randomly on an individual and he'll fight.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Watching the creatures below, Delphinia starts getting a burning feeling in her gut. She reaches over and takes the sunrod from the owl, then looks at Callos. "You know, those look like wolves. But they sure aren't acting like wolves. I can think of one thing for sure that falls under that category. What do you think they are?" As she speaks, her expression slowly shifts from neutrality to suspicion to the start of something much more ugly.

{Edited to take the sunrod. Poor owl. :)}

11. - Top - End - #341

Fizahn:

"Okay, no rules. Just charge him Thokk."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Thokk shurgs, picks up his bastard sword, and starts walking towards the wolves. As he walks, he calls over his shoulder*

"Ach, Elthan, keep my back safe for me. Druid, Protect the tribe"

*Thokk continutes to walk up, then gets into a defensive stance once he is close to the worg*

"Ach, come and get some ye bastard"

OOC: Thokk Readies an action to strike as soon as the worg is in range

13. - Top - End - #343

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"That's how we do it, Thokk!" says Achkby, setting his spear in the ground. He stays wary, though, in case something goes other than according to plan.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

14. - Top - End - #344
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Nolan raises a brow at Thokk's actions. Well that happened a lot sooner than I thought it would. He remains alert should any creature other than the challenger act.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih calls out with some rather...unique encouragement; all the while carrying a look on his face like what he said was the smartest thing he had ever uttered.
    "I've got ale for ya Thokk, but only if you bring me a pelt."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah looks surprised when Thokk put himself forward, she glances at Ethan and the Druid to see how they take it.

maybe i've been away from civilization for too long. nice quiet forest. predicable creatures. friends that wait for you too finish before running off. (sigh), i feel old.

In a gloomy mood, she goes back to studying the worgs.

17. - Top - End - #347

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

She knows four, and she knows safe, and she knows high, but that is all she can feel from Orestes at this distance. She resists the urge to call the owl to her, and instead watches Thokk step forward, taking the challenge.

Nyssa gives a quick sympathetic glance to Kiah, and then focuses on the fight to come.

There's no way reason can be heard in a group this big, not without a leader that makes it so.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Casually, Lumpy loops his flail over the back of his neck, letting the weapon rest against his shoulders with ends pulled taut by the weight of his arms,

"Or the dwarf can go. Whatever."

As Thokk moves out of easy listening range, the orc throws a casual glance at the rest of his party,

"Heh, he's awfully confident fer someone with such a poorly developed style. Makes me wonder if he's all there in the head sometimes."

19. - Top - End - #349

Elthan

Elthan drops his shoulders in a sigh. This is just not fair. There's just no argueing with a dwarf.

"So be it."

Elthan resigns to stay back, but pulls out a scroll and discharges the spell on Thokk. "You can do this, just let me have the next chance, ok?"

(OOC: Cast Bulls Strength from scroll. Thokk has +4 strength for three minutes.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

20. - Top - End - #350

Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian simply sighs as his prediction that any enquiry on "rules" would be seen as a weakness. The 'rules' were unwritten. This was the wild after all.

He knew in his heart that Voice-of-Thunder was the better warrior. He frowns at the Serpent-slayer's remark but doesn't say anything. His prowess had earned him the right to some comments.

He yells out
    "sShedding more blood will not make right the... the.. whole..ness of the land. You... care NOT for the Wyld. What YOU want, beast? Yes. Blood for blood. Eye for an eye. You hunt us and expect uss not to fight in defense? What you seek, beast who speaks in the tongues-of-man?"

His face screws up in a mixture of anger and frustration.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

21. - Top - End - #351

Dozens of red eyes stare unblinkingly from the forest's edge as Thokk ignores Elthan's arrow and steps forward to challenge the alpha male. Elthan lets the snub pass without comment. Instead, the half-elf pats Thokk on the back as he passes, imbuing the dwarf with additional strength.

The lizardman calls out one last time as Thokk takes up a defensive position behind his tower shield.

The alpha snarls back at the druid. "I care not for your patronizing tone lizard. Who are you to speak of the wyld, you who walks on two feet among other bipeds, stinking of civilization, wearing clothing and carrying weapons?

"What wrong has my pack done to you or yours? If a member of my pack attacked one of yours unprovoked, what would you and yours have done in return? If another member of my pack then slew one of your companions in cold blood, how would you suggest we could 'make things right'?

"I offer one-on-one combat that will spare both of our packs unnecessary bloodshed and death. You and your barbaric kind would not have been so generous I'll warrant."

The alpha male steps forward from beneath the trees as he shouts his reply to the lizardman. The "worg" seems to be breathing heavily.

As the "worg" hyperventilates, his form changes before your eyes. His limbs thicken and, as he approaches Thokk, he rises up on his hind legs until he is walking erect.

When the alpha stops, 30 yards from Thokk, he has transformed into some kind of half-wolf, half-man hybrid. He is suddenly calm, almost whispering now. "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a wolf, or am I now a wolf who dreams of being a man ..."

He tilts his head back and howls at the moon, spreading his arms and extending his fingers, which end in wicked claws.

The rest of his pack joins in, raising the hairs on the back of your necks with their howling, which can even be heard deep in the forest where Callos and the others are holed up in a tree ...

OOC: Thokk holds his action. The werewolf lord transforms into his hybrid form. The two combatants are separated by 90 feet. SD, please generate an initiative roll.

22. - Top - End - #352

Lizardkin Druid

Ssathiya feels immediately insulted to be told he stinks of civilisation. He can't help involuntarily sniffing himself.
    Seeing the pack-leader change form, he gasps in shock. He'd heard about shape-changers. Something between lizardman and animal.

SEMUANYA!...I would have spared its life. Now I pray Voice-of-Thunder kills it before it leads its pack into destruction.

He looks back to his own packmates and mutters (albeit unnecessarily), "This is not good. The pack follows one that is not their breed"

His face is aghast and he stands shock-still looking guility at Elthan.
    "What have we done?"
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark had been relegated to the position of observer, during the internal bickering over who would face the Worg. He had no intention of volunteering, he thought what Callos did was wrong and he deserved to be punished for it.

Trinark knew little of Thokk, but he looked like a capable warrior. Given the current state of affairs, he hoped Thokk would prevail.

As the Worg transformed, the irony of the situation was revealed. Trinark couldn't help himself, he broke into a laugh. He tried his best to conceal his laughter behind his hand...

Now this is getting interesting!

24. - Top - End - #354

Holy--!

And he d speaks of... us being unnatural!

Though... do I... am I not becoming like him?
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah hisses through her teeth...

"Lycanthropy!"

"If Thokk gets bitten we may lose him! Even if he wins the fight! We must help protect him!

Living in the wilds, it is something that she has seen before the wolf form, one of the most evil and hardest to control...

She thinks furiously, "I can give him some protection, but I have to touch him. Can anyone make me invisible?"

26. - Top - End - #356
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Thokks eyes widen slightly as the beast transforms, then breaks into a grin*

"Ach, a true challange then. So be it, beastie. Come and die."

*Thokk Calmly strodes 20 feet closer to the Werewolf and once again picks up his defensive stance*

Thokk Init (1d20+1=21)

OOC: Hoo Rah! Thokk takes a single move action closer and readies an action to attack the instant the werewolf is in range

27. - Top - End - #357

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa shakes her head at Kiah. "I don't have any ability to conceal you. Or any way to aid Thokk." She watches the fight as it starts, ready to cast a spell the instant it looks like the worgs will break their word.

28. - Top - End - #358

How many of this pack are his spawn?

"I have a scroll," ventures Achkby, "What are you going to do?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

29. - Top - End - #359
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Well damn, that complicates things.

Nolan stands ready should anything go wrong.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa looks over at Delphinia from where she's lounging in the fork of a branch. The gnome has been amusing herself by making snowballs out of the snow collected on the tree; she's managed a fair-sized, albeit precarious pile of them so far. "You mean wolves aren't supposed to act like that?" Ahh, city slickers. A title which Lissa wears proudly. She looks genuinely puzzled. "So if they're not wolves, what in the Nine Hells are they? Werewolves... nah, if they could change shape to climb after us they'd have done it by now." Lissa gives the ranger a questioning look.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already