New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Delphinia

She turns her head to look at Nyssa. She's actually interested. Unbelieveable. "Orrin. He was...a druid." What a pathetic description. As if I could even hope to capture him in words anyway. "When my village was attacked, he managed to save a few of us." She stopped, fighting down the memories. Those were such old memories, and usually held no sway over her, but the worgs had stirred it all up. Just like they always do. She shook her head, not wanting to relive it right now. Or ever again if she could help it.

"He died about 5 years ago. I had been traveling with him for a lot of years. And- He was human. He died in his sleep."

2. - Top - End - #452
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*To Achlkby*

"My thanks, lad. We all get cut up, some more then others. At this point I'm more afraid when something doesnt hurt then when it does. Lets you know you are alive. Same with dreams, but dreams are a whole lot spookier"

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa nods, and resists the urge to reach out to Delphinia.

She has trusted you. You need to offer something. And perhaps she can help in return. "I will tell you something I have told no one. Perhaps I am where you were before Orrin passed. You might have wisdom for me."

"Some day, Nolan will... will be beyond this world. With every meditation, and every prayer, he grows better than this place. He will transcend his need for anything on it." She stops to collect herself. "Including me. It's like he's dying, but worse, because he will still live. One day, I will be alone." She smiles sadly. Some things can't be helped. He has his path. "I must enjoy every minute I have with him. They are fleeting."

She stands, and rubs her arms, trying to warm herself. "Shall we continue inside over a hot cider? I want to know more of Orrin. And of you."

4. - Top - End - #454
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, dearie me, soul-bearing surrounds us...

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby looks at Thokk for a moment, his brows furrowed and eyes conveying trouble and uncertainty under his 'calm.'
    "Yes," he says succintly, and pauses before elaborating.

"They can be. Though dreams can also... they aren't always spooky. But often powerful."
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

5. - Top - End - #455
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy settles down at his table after a long silent trip, mulling over his cider alone. The events of past nights hadn't leant him much time for introspection, and it was always good to find easy moments among the hard. His expression is thoughtful, and his typical silence some seems more deep than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Frojoe
    Aeroz

"Mothers husband? But...oh..."

Aeroz says nothing for moment.

"Ok Edgar, I'd like to say its been a pleasure talking to you, but you, my friend, are too sullen. Its depressing. You should try lightening up and stop being so linear. My father was, and he almost blew me to bits."
    All'a this is just proof I'm doing things right, everything I've seen. Hydras, worgs, werewolves, it's all the same. Worth is based on appearance, not nature, I seen it a hundred times. That's why I live how I live.

That's a crock and you know it. No one's ever called you sullen before. Why?

Simple. That's because I ain't. I'm defensive, fer the same reason. It's the only way ta survive. You know I can't never live with humans. Among them, mebbe, but never with.

Really? When was the last time you ever gave anyone a chance to honestly call you anything?

I hear folk honestly say things all the time. First impressions are the truest reaction.

Are you sure that's not what you've made them into? Why would he say it if he didn't believe it to be true?

That's too easy. Same as always, ta get a rise outta me. Happens every day.

A rise, mmm? A rise was calling you ugly. We moved past them a long time ago. He was responding honestly, just as you did. You're making this too easy.

Bah, that's one outta a thousand. Ain't no gauge on my life. Yer splitting hairs.

I'm splitting hairs now? You're ignoring them. These things happen every day, as often as you care to look for them. You're only ignoring them. That does nothing. Nothing.

With a soft sigh, Lumpy drains the last of his ale and goes to refill his mug. Rather than returning to his seat, he looks around for someone else to sit down with.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lad, powerful or not, they be spooky. Ever had a 'Dream of Mirrors?' Tis to let the mind wander in places it shouldnt. Absolute proof that yer are livin, but by the hammer it will take the nerve straight out of ye"

*As Thokk talks the color drains slightly from his face, reliving the Dream*

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah sits eating quietly in the common room, mulling over all the things that have happened over the last few days. She is especially concerned about Katrin, but there where so many things going on

She looks around and spots Lumpy brooding over a cider he's a good person i think, but it seems he keeps trying to convince himself otherwise. i've been meaning to talk to him.. As he looks around the room she tries to catch his eye. Then she raises her mug as an invitation.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Noting Kiah, Lumpy changes course to intercept her table. He slumps into his chair unceremoniously, pausing briefly before initating conversation.

Well, you can't just sit there. You have to say something too. Something reasonably polite this time, hmm?

Yeah, yeah, lay off it already.

He swirls his cider a bit, staring down at the rippling fluid before looking up to the older woman,

"Still sticking on after last night? That's the norm, not the exception. We've had worse nights."

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Delphinia sighs heavily. She's sharing. Huh. With me, no less. Huh. Then she cracks a small smile. "Yeah, ok." She stands up and ruffles Gladi's hair. She throws a blanket over the dog, then follows Nyssa inside. She scan the room quickly, locating Nolan looking stern and serious, sitting in corner. She makes her way over and sets herself down on the floor next to him. With a rather serious look on her face, she says loud enough for him to hear, "Look at that. Don't even need a book to sit on in here."

10. - Top - End - #460

Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian had fetched mugs for himself and TRinark and had noticed Katrin sitting in a corner and was about to bring one when he caught sight of Tiriel. Trusting in her leadership he leaves the brunette be.
    [hr]
    He'd sat between Trinark and Thokk and sipped and sniffed his drink intermittently, remembering tasting something similar in sheyra's house back i Teflamn.

He listened with interest to the conversation beween Thokk and Achkby. One involving dreams. Just like his visions.

"Mirrorss?"
    he asked.

A claw on his hand taps to the beat of Yix's dancing absent-mindedly.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

11. - Top - End - #461

Achkby just watched Thokk for a moment as he sinks into his own memories. When he comes back, Achkby nods to himself, looking down at Bess under him, and says, "They have that power, yes. I've never dreamt of mirrors, but... other things. I have had... vivid dreams. And they have affected me. Yes."

[OOC]Ooh. Simu'ed. Anyway, I was thinking this conversation was still on the road. Thokk gets the deciding vote. Where are we, buddy?[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

12. - Top - End - #462
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

The Glade was eluding him this evening. It usually wasn't hard for Nolan to find that place of clarity within but for some reason he just couldn't focus. The noise of the tavern wasn't the problem, it was nothing compared to the nattering of his sister. The dancing pseudodragon? Not quite... but perhaps closer to the mark. Just who were these people they were travelling with anyway?

Nolan closes his eyes and sits up straight with his palms facing up on his lap. He relaxes his neck and lets his head roll in circles loosening up any tension that remains.

Mercenaries, blast-happy wizards, a lizardman, a drow, two lycanthropes... and who knows what other secrets are lurking in these people. Is it really safe for Nyssa to be travelling with these people? Not that his opinion matters. No doubt Nyssa was having a grand old time putting her nose where it didn't belong, trying to fish out secrets best left uncovered.

At once, Nolan's senses tell him his sister had returned from wherever she was. He opens his eyes and sees her enter with the halfling ranger. As Nyssa steps to the bar, Nolan nods a greeting to Delphinia as she makes her way over to him.

"I see nature has taught you well. If you cannot shake a predator, find it better prey to stalk." He laughs awkwardly. "I'm not sure Nyssa is so easily shaken though."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

he looks like he doesn't know what to say. not much chance to practice under that gruff exterior i bet. probably all the jibbs at being a halforc. well, that's one thing i'm not going to bring up, i'm sure he's had enough of it.

"Yup, I'm sticking around. At least until I figure up what's happening with this necromancer."

"But ya, that was more then I am used to. You seem to handle it pretty well. You've got a good head for tactics and good instincts.... What do you think of it all? It must be a bit frustrating."

14. - Top - End - #464

Tiriel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sage
    Kiah

Kiah is very quiet as they break camp. Something is definitely on her mind. During the day Kiah will approach Tiriel at an opportune moment and speaks to her quietly.

"Tiriel, we have to talk to Katrin. I say we because you need be there. You're her friend. Have you talked to her about her curse? Does she know what is going on? It will be a full moon again tonight by my count. Once in the castle, once last night, and once more. 3 days in the month as the lore goes."

"Last time it was a worg. This time? What if we find a village? What about children?"
    Kiah's intense eyes stare at Tiriel earnestly.

"The werewolf hinted that she will be able to control herself in time. I pray that he is right in that. But until that time we can't let her free on the full moon. We need to talk with her, and before the moon rises tonight."
    Tiriel's face pales as Kiah talks, she glances over at Katrine, and then back at Kiah. Tiriel takes a moment to rein in her what would have been her first reponse before talking.
    "I really have no idea what you are talking about, and I doubt I need advice as to how to handle what isn't your business, thank you.
    Tiriel picks up her bag and heads towards Si'rene and Katrine, more than a little disturbed and angry that, that woman is trying to tell her what to do.
    i didn't have a problem with her before, but, damn it, she didn't even give me a chance to breath. and what the devil was that about a curse? whatever. Katrine and i will be having a talk... soon.

Tiriel realizes that she has a scowl on her face when Si'rene gives her a questioning look. Tiriel shrugs and mounts her horse. She stays close by her two friends and eventually leans toward Katrine and says, just loud enough for Si'rene to also overhear, "We're going to talk about this, right?[hr]

Tiriel is relieved to that they have found shelter before the storm got more unbearable. As much as they'd all like to hurry, travling with out being well rested, and feed, in such weather was just begging for trouble.
    She smiles as Yix dances, noticing the parallel between the inn's mascot and their own. She orders some plain food and mild ale to be delived to her room. She then tells Katrine, "I'm going upstairs, feel free to join me." She also avoids conversation with Kiah.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

15. - Top - End - #465
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs, speaking with deliberate slowness,

"I've gotten around a fair bit in my day. Near a decade working militias and a spell in a right proper army. Nights and wilderness-survival was my specialty, aside from beating the Hell outta people."

He shifts, pausing in his recollection to gulp down some of his cider while he thinks,

"Like ya wouldn't believe. I appreciate a fair bit'a regiment when it comes ta my living- combat especially. This rabble needs order, there's no doubt. I obviously ain't in no position ta tell them that, but that's how it is regardless."

16. - Top - End - #466

Aeroz
    Quote Originally Posted by HempRope

In the morning, seeing no one else addressing the issues that got them into trouble last night, Achkby has the urge to make an announcement. Instead, he consults Aeroz.

"Aeroz," he asks, "Do we know what happened last night? I know a lot of people want to blame Callos for his attack earlier, but that's not it. Katrin and Callos both wandered off without knowing what they were doing. Don't you think we have to figure out why, and if it's going to happen again?"

"To Tell you the truth, I don't know what to think right now. I don't even pretend to know what goes on in Callos's head, and as for Katrin and her friends, I'm even more puzzed. One part of me wants to kill them for what they did, the other part knows that they need to stay around. If Callos wants to wander off in the middle of the night and fire off lightning bolts at dogs or werewolves, thats his perogative." Aeroz responds to Achby as he eases into a chair.
    [hr]

Turning his attention to the conversation at hand, Aeroz listens closely. He had been told that his kind did not dream, and that the images that appeared in revierie were nothing more then mental tasks or excercises. Since when was falling an excercise though?

He takes a sip of his ale and continues to listen without speaking.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

17. - Top - End - #467

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

She smiles to Kiah on her way in, an open invitation presented. Take your loner to meet my loners and we'll have a grand time, she seems to say, tilting her head towards where Nolan and Delphinia now sit.

Nyssa weaves her way to the bar and purchases four ciders. She moves to where Delphinia and Nolan rest, managing to carry the four drinks carefully in her two hands. She gives one to each, and keeps two for herself. Sitting on the ground next to Delphinia, she smiles warmly to them both.

If stoicism was an arm-wrestling contest, which of you would win? Instead of asking that, though, she searches through her mind for common ground between the two. "Nolan and I have not travelled this far north before, Delphinia. Is this as cold as it becomes?" She drowns the first drink quickly, and begins to sip the second. "And it won't kill you to drink some cider, Nolan. It might even make you tolerable." Her mocking belies everything she said in the stable to Delphinia.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa has been uncharacteristically quiet since the fight ended, riding with the group in silence. Although, given the way she was huddled over Cloudy's neck, it's entirely possible that the bitter cold finally caught up with her; the small folk tend to get cold faster than tall folk. Once Lissa sees Cloudy safely stabled (paying a stableboy to give him a good grooming and warm blankets) and enters the inn, the others can clearly see her blue lips and chattering teeth.

A nice hot mug of spiced cider and a heaping plate of dinner does wonders to thaw out the frozen gnome. "Ahhh... so much better!" Lissa sips from her second mug with a contented smile. "I thought I was going to freeze solid on that gods-forsaken tree branch. Definitely should've memorized endure elements last night." At Lumpy's comment, she nods emphatically. "Can't believe I'm actually speaking in favor of restrictions, but we definitely need a real leader with this many people. Sheyra kind of filled that role... before..." She looks down for a moment, then camouflages her expression behind a long drink of cider. "Um. Anyway, who would everyone actually agree to follow? That has experience in herding cats and is stupid enough to take the job?" Lissa sighs, absently carving on the bar with a dagger. "Normally I can't stand the breed, but we really could use a paladin here. People look up to 'em, they've usually got the experience to make combat decisions on the fly... and that whole 'honor and duty' thing will always get a paladin to take on a crappy job." Paladin... divine fighter... Dark eyes light up with the spark of an Idea. Lissa drains her mug and sets it down on the bar. "'Scuse me, I just remembered something." She sets off for the stairs, the direction she last spotted Tiriel going.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

19. - Top - End - #469
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Morning

what the hell? she damn well does know what i'm talking about... or enough that it matters. kids! so wrapped up in their own little worlds they can't see the woods for the trees. well i'm sorry, there are lives at stake here.

Kiah marches over to where Tiriel is mounting her horse. Kiah addresses all 3 of them in an annoyed voice:

"Since I've just been told by Tiriel here to mind my own business I will do that. But the 3 of you need to make sure that you mind yours. You need to get to the bottom of these night trips and fast."

She looks at Katrin and her face softens. She continues in a gentler tone "It's better to know. No matter what, it is always better to know."

She turns quickly and returns to her packing, angrily stuffing things in her bag.

----
    The Dancing Dragon

Kiah takes a small sip of her cider and considers lumpys words.

"Well, I've only been here a couple of days but if it's worth anything, I would say that nobody is in a position to do that. They's just not the type."

Kiah stops, considering, then continues. "Maybe you think you don't have an influence but you do. People respect you and your opinion..."

Kiah voice trails off and she stares at the table, giving Lumpy time to digest her comment. maybe that will help. i don't think he accepts just how much he is repected... and accepted

Kiah nods and smiles at Nyssa as she walks in. It's clear that she has invited them over with that look, but there are things to finish here first.

"Well, you know why I'm here. Why are you here?"

20. - Top - End - #470
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

What's she playing at?

She's not playing at anything.

Eh, how're ya supposed ta tell that?

You just have to know sometimes.

"That's fairly complicated. I've got an unfulfilled oath with the three women I still need ta figure out how ta repay. Aside from that, I've apprently been deathmarked by both hordes of undeadand other parties unless this business gets seen through."

Lumpy leans back uneasily for the moment.

Every day you try that one with yourself. You know it's not the truth.

Bullsh-

No, it's true. That's a smokescreen and you know it. What good has it done you? Honestly?

He sighs softly, then shrugs,

"But I mostly just ain't felt like leaving. I like to keep moving usually, but I ain't had the urge yet this time."

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Delphinia tries to smirk, but is just too damn tired and joyless at the moment; it comes across as a half-scowl. She takes the mug and pulls a swallow from it, then holds it in both hands and looks into it, swishing the liquid around a little. "This isn't my usual hunting ground. I've been...wandering around a lot lately. We just happened up this way, so I don't know if the weather is normal or not, or if this is as bad as it gets." Then she looks up. "Thanks." It isn't completely clear exactly what she is thanking Nyssa for, but she goes on after a short pause. "I don't usually carry a lot of money, and I need what I've got to get some more arrows, I think."

22. - Top - End - #472
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah watches Lumpy's face. She hears beneath the words...

camaraderie, friendship, belonging...

unbidden, images flood through her mind...

Kiah, a young orphan child, sits on a small hard bed in a monastery cell. Dry desiccated old priests walk past in the halls, talking dry desiccated old thoughts. Tears fall on her plain brown cloak as she thinks of running through green fields... her family...

Kiah, a young woman, excited and uncertain in her wedding dress. Not knowing if she is doing the right thing, but desperately looking to regain the bright sunshine and green fields of her memory.

Kiah, her children gone, her husband dead, looking at the faces of people that she thought she knew. Their laughter and ridicule and misplaced pity as she tries to tell them of her meeting with a long forgotten god.

Yes, you could say I've been trying to belong for a long time.

Other images take there place...The support of the old potion master... The free flow of her grandchildren in their games... The feeling of the forest after a rain...

Yes, belonging is a fine thing...

Kiah nods. "Ya, I can see how this lot would grow on one. All different, yet all somehow the same. Diversity is what Ehlonna called. 'The power of life is in the depths of it's diversity' is what she told me. I'm still trying to figure out what that means. All I know is it feels better - like the difference between a forest and a corn field.

Ah, but I'm blathering."

Kiah eyes Lumpy speculatively "I've been thinking allot about those 3 women also. You've had more experience with them then I have. You know that Katrin is probably a lycanthrope? - just started I think and uncontrollable. Not the wolf or rat form thank the heavens. But they don't want me sticking my nose into their business and told me to shove off. But since you have an interest in them also... well I thought you might have some thoughts on the matter."

23. - Top - End - #473
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Thokk moves slightly to make room for the lizardman, and then takes a deep draught to restore some color to his face*

"Aye, the Dream of Mirrors. Something we were taught to guard against. Means you arnt in charge of yer own actions. All ye can see is reflections of yourself, each distored by the truth. Tis a tad unsettling, to say the least. Scaley, you been getting them, or just somethin' similar?"

24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears IILu

Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs again, obviously a habitual motion for him during conversation,

"There ain't that much ta it actually. The merc company I was with in Velprintalar hired on a contract with them ta see them through the Underdark safely. They were real secretive about the whole thing, I never really talked ta them much. Never filled my end'a the bargain neither, ta my discredit. Drow attack killed or captured everyone 'cept me and them, I figure. Didn't meet up with them until later, and now here we are."

He drums his fingers against the tabletop thoughtfully,

"If the girl's got any cat in her, it's news ta me. Ordinarily that wouldn't be muchuva problem, but it's starting ta muck our business too. I reckon it needs dealing with, but I doubt they'll wanna hear it from me."

25. - Top - End - #475
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

"I'll bet a platinum to a silver that she does. But other then locking her in a cell I don't know what to do about it. I let them know in no uncertain terms that they have to do something about it, but I haven't seen anything yet."

Kiah pauses, reflecting...

"Secretive eh?" Kiah's face forms into a worried frown. "They met you on the road right? Do you know why they left Telflamm bound for Rashemen, at the same time as you?"

26. - Top - End - #476

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa smiles at the ranger. "If you haven't gotten a room yet, Delphinia, you're welcome to stay with my brother and I. Provided you can stand his incessant chatter." She gives Nolan a soft shove, some emotion showing on her face. Talk, damn you. Get out of your head. He might not notice the change in himself, but Nolan was downright loquacious six years ago, compared to now. Each year it gets more lonely. "Though I believe someone is holding your share of the gold from defeating the hydrae."

She looks around the room. "Most of the merchant caravans seem to be holed up here for the winter. I wonder if there will be enough of a break in the snow to continue onwards." Nyssa shakes her head. "No use worrying about what we can't change."

Moving herself closer to the fire, Nyssa rubs her arms again. "This weather doesn't seem to bother either of you. I know I'm harping on it. I suppose I just feel it more than others." The drink was already going to her head, and her body was slowly warming from the alcohol. She shares that warmth with Delphinia in a kind smile. "Anyhow, you haven't been north. So where have you been?"

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin avoids Tiriel's gaze. Her response is in a hushed whisper. "I'm sorry, Tiriel... I can't, not right now, not today. I'm dangerous... I'm a danger to everyone in the city. I have to get out of here tonight."

Katrin rises and goes upstairs briefly, and leaves wearing her cold-weather clothes, before anyone can stop her.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

"Oh, we went all over the place, just not north. The cold is bad for...for traveling. Especially as you get older." She falls silent again and takes another drink. "It makes me a little stiff these days, in the morning. But that's ok, Gladi makes up for it. I can warm up slow while I'm riding her. She's still practically just a pup." But she won't live anywhere near as long as I will.

29. - Top - End - #479

Fizahn:

Fizahn spends the time of the trip wandering around eavesdropping on various conversations. At the inn, he approaches Tiriel, Katrin, and Si'Rene. "I'm just going to make it abundantly clear that I have not been minding my own business. There's some problem with Katrin becoming an uncontrollable beast tonight and once a month. I happen to have a plan that might be Thokk-esque, but I believe will stop her from killing anyone. Suppose we knock her out before she goes to bed. She can't kill anyone if she's unconcious right? Then, all we have to do is have a watch over her to make sure she doesn't have any super recovery in her 'kitty' form." Fizahn produces a toothy grin and leaves telling them to think about it.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

30. - Top - End - #480

As the Druid moves into their conversation, Achkby goes silent, staring into his mug before downing it and getting another, which also absorbs him.

Tiamat damn it, why can't anyone here keep outta others' business?!

He does, however, smile welcomingly at Aeroz, and wistfully watches Lissa leave the commonroom in a hurry.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE