New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Yix

When Yix sees the fire poker crumble from a mere touch of the gauntlet he becomes very intrigued. The next moment he is standing up and clapping anxiously calling to Callos "Again! Again!"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

A delighted smile came to the necromancer's face when the fire poker oxidized and disentergrated into rusty powder. So thats what it did. With the sudden huddling by the pseudodragon and Thokk though a clustered look came to his face. Then annoyance until he stepped back from the two of them as he worked the gauntlet off of his hand.

"Behave yourselves or I'll hide this thing from the both of you! We don't even know if it will work more then once a day so be calm."

Taking a deep breath now that there was breathing room he handed the gauntlet to Thokk though one longing eye was on it. And to make sure Thokk wasn't reaching for any of his metallic items to test it on.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy watches Nyssa's prayer impassively, but shrugs at her commentary,

"People get the treatment they deserve, living or dead. I seen it time and time again. I just do what needs doing and keep moving on."

Turning his eyes, which glint brighter in the darkness than they ever did in light, out towards the countryside, his brow furrow slightly. He drops his jaw as if to voice some concern, but shrugs, burying it under a grunted reply, "Yeah, let's go."

Gathering his things, he leads the way back to the hall, offering the ring over to Nyssa for inspection.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark watches as the small group experiments with the magic items. He notes with some interest when the gauntlet causes the fireside poker to crumble to dust. He recalled such creatures in the Underdark whose bodily fluids were so corrosive as to cause even Dwarven forged steel to disolve before your eyes.

After the women had been gone a few minutes, he rose and headed for the staircase. As he reached the bottom he met them coming down.

He looked at Tiriel with a questioning look, "Is everything alright? Do you need help finding Katrin?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah turns in surprise as Tiriel kick the door in. As a small, frail woman it's not something she ever dreamed of being able to do. She grins at Tiriel and says "Remind me to stay behind you in a fight."

Peering into the empty room it's clear that Katrin has left through the window. As Tiriel expresses her frustration Kiah can only look on with some sympathy. Sometimes there's jus' nothing to say.

---

Back in the common room she leaves Tiriel to explain Katrin's disappearance. I wonder what happened to the half-orc - what was his name? And the friendly one - Nyssa. Looks like they're happy with the haul anyway. Wait! Is the tall guy giving the gauntlet to the dwarf?? They haven't identified them things yet have they? I hope someone around here can remove curses 'cause I'm fresh out.

The tall male half-elf catches her eye. He don't look right. I've seen it before. Does look too long ago nether.

Kiah sits down and considers the scroll of restoration in her scroll case. It was an expensive scroll. Higher that she could do. She had to pay 800gp for it and was saving it for an emergency. Different voices in her mind argued over what to do. The half-elf wasn't at the fight with the hydra but he definitely seems part of the group. On one hand she was always tight with her money running the Inn - had to be. So the older part of her mind wanted to sell it to him. But on the other hand the nature priestess - the newer part of her mind - was not like that. There are things beyond buying and selling. They could do something about the hydra and did it - so here she was alive and well. She could do something about this. It would all balance out just like Ehlonna said it would.

Her decision made she makes her way over to the male half-elf (Ethan) and sticks her hand out. "Kiah! Pleased to met 'ya. Looks like you had a run-in with some undead. Would you mind telling me about it? I might be able to help. The most important thing is when. How many days ago did this happen?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, this be very interesting indeed..."

*Thokk smiles as he looks over the gauntlet, and tries to read the tiny runes inscribed on the side*

"Callos, I needs help with three things. First, can ye hand me a small steel object? Second, can yer make any sense from these runes? Finally, do yer know any spells or magics that can rust metal items? As in, can ye cast any right now lad? O, and the rest of ye, I suggest all metal be stripped off and put over yonder on the side"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tiriel

Tiriel is about to answer Trinark when she overhears Thokk's annocement. She turns back to Trinark, "Everything's all right I guess," she looks back at the group noticing that the dwarf has a strange half-manical, half-gleeful grin and that Yix is jumping up and down. "Whatever's going on here, I think I'd rather hear about it afterwards. I'll be outside."

She grabs some food on her way out before heading to the stables.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

The older human nodded and looked around the room for a suitablly sized metal object, a spoon or other utensil if he can. Once such an object is found he returns to the dwarf and holds it out. Once Thokk takes it he leans over and peer s curiously at the gauntlet, trying to see if anything happens when it rusts something as well as attempting to see the runes Thokk was talking about.

"Huh, I don't know of any spells that do that myself. Perhaps you can ask Elthan or Ackby about it..."

((Actually rolled my Spellcraft check to see if Callos would know about the Rusting Grasp spell and failed it.))

Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tiriel thanks Trinark for offering to help, but she feels that it's best to leave Katrin alone for now. If she felt she had to sneak out, there must certainly be a good reason.

Si'rene joins Tiriel outside to get some fresh air. As they walk outside, they pass Lumpy and Nyssa, who are returning from burying Silithos.

Once alone, Si'rene and Tiriel spend some time in quiet conversation. Neither of them are sure what Katrin is up to. "Well, I guess we all have our secrets, don't we?" Si'rene says as she looks up at the moon.

[hr]
    Elthan counts backwards. It's been at least three or four days since the battle with the spectres. Kiah isn't sure whether the spell will restore Elthan's weakened spirit this far out from the initial drain.

Together they look at the crystal prism and the silver ring inset with the single ruby. Everyone else seems focused on the gauntlet.

[hr]
    Yix, Thokk and Callos gleefully attempt to disintegrate any steel or iron items that are offered up, including some flatware and a chamberpot. Unfortunately, the effect on the poker can't be replicated. Callos concludes that the gauntlet may only work a limited number of times a day.

[hr]
    Nyssa looks over the ring recovered from Silithos' body. It is a simple gold band with a single groove that spirals around the band seven times before meeting itself again.

OOC: So can we wrap up the gold distribution soon?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah listens to Ethan while he recounts the battle and the number of days it has been. Then she checks the whites of his eyes and the skin between his fingers. Finally, she pronounces "Well, you're lucky. Looks like I can still do something about this. But next time you get yourself looked at right away y'hear! Undead ain't healthy! It's a lot easier to do something in the first 24 hours then to wait. In a few more days it would have been beyond me."

She grumbles a bit, digging through her bag for a scroll case. Taking it out, she selects a scroll and spreads it in front of her. Then she snorts, "Actually, it's beyond me now. I suggest that if you don't want to spend all that gold (points at the table) and more on scrolls than you best be more careful. Now, hold still."

As she reads the scroll twists of glowing green vapor rise from the disappearing script and coalesce around her hands. The words are soft and light and strangely musical - like a butterfly on a spring day. When she finishes she reaches over to grasp both of Ethan's hands. The glow passes over to him and sinks in. Anyone can see the change. His skin is instantly less pale and his eyes are brighter.

"There," she says "that does most of it. Can't do more after this long I'm afraid. You need to get out and do something."

She will refuse any payment. As she packs up her things she says "You can thank me but that's about it. What goes around comes around as they say."

Afterward she will walk to somewhere in the room where she can see everyone. "Hey all!!" She projects her voice quite well, and obviously is comfortable speaking in front of a group. "I know everyone wants wants to divide gold and such but give me a moment. I need to say my piece and they you can get back to it. I want to join your group for a bit. You've removed the hydras and left me with some free time, and there seems to be something about undead in whatever you're messed up in. Now I know that some of you don't trust me..." she looks at Achkby pointedly "... enough to tell me what *is* going on but that's OK. I'll tag along, and either that will change or I'll pick up enough to decide on my own. Until then I'll help out, and if I leave I'll let you know."

"Now I'll hang around for a bit if you want to ask me some questions, but then I'm head'n up to bed and you can let me know in the morning. I rise at dawn. If you want me earlier jus' knock."

(OOC: Whew! that was way too long)

11. - Top - End - #41

Elthan

Elthan tries to reply to some of Kiahs statements without feeling like a guilty child. "I wanted to do something about it when it happened, but we where rushing and I thought it might just fade away like anything else."
    He can feel the energy return to him as the spell is completed, the positive energy lighting him up agian. "If all I can do is thank you, then thats all I can say. Thank you."

Kiah gives her short speech and leaves. Of all the people we could have picked up, at least we found an interesting one.

Elthan begins to lose interest in the trinkets found, and his mind wanders to other areas. He gets up and heads out for a walk, and spying the lizardkin outside, heads to him. Not wanting to disturb the Lizarkins meditation, Elthan sits down on a nearby object and waits to see if he stops.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

12. - Top - End - #42

Aeroz

"Way to enunciate..." Aeroz mutters to Kiah's speech. "As for the gold, I believe I still owe some to Achby, so he can take what he needed to cover the Stone to flesh."

He then takes a seat and waits for Thokk, Callos and Yix stop gawking at the gauntlet.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

13. - Top - End - #43

Fizahn:

Fizahn basically ignores everyone else as he does calculations in his head. Every few minutes, he will offer an outrageous proposal that is shot down by the group. "Aeroz. I have just lost a great deal of respect for you. You should never admit to having a debt and only repay them if they press you too hard, or you need to borrow a greater amount of money from them. Let them bring it up and then say, 'I don't recall that.'"
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

It was very warm and very comfortable where he was sitting. The sound of friendly banter in the background only added to the cheerful atmosphere. Everything was pleasant and cozy.

It was too cozy for Nolan. I wonder if they have a spiked bed to sleep on...

Nolan looks up at his sister's return. With a stretch he stands and makes his way over to see how things went, giving wide berth to the enchanted gauntlet waving dwarf.

15. - Top - End - #45

Aeroz

"Fizhan, I'm no theif. And besides, its the least I can do after about those half dozen times when I thought he looked like a roasted pheasant in the underdark. And besides, its better to get it paid for now, just in case we find a nice big stash of gold. The halflings I've dealt with in the past were notorious interest keepers."

Aeroz walks crouches beside Fizhan and whispers "And as a fringe benefit, now I can start bugging him about what he owes me."

He then gets up and moves to the other side of the room.

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

16. - Top - End - #46

I still wanna know if anything's happened with this crystal thingamabob...

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby perks up a bit at Aeroz's announcement, but tries his best to hide it. He manages well enough for only a couple to notice his enthusiasm for the idea.

But then Fizahn speaks and the thought of gratitude is expelled from the halfling's mind as he glares at the gnome. Scrambling for a sharp retort, he decides, instead, to muster up what grace he has.

"I certainly wasn't going to charge interest; the thought hadn't even considered speculating about crossing my mind," he says, trying his best to sound as little like Fizahn's cruel characterization of himself as possible.
    "But thank you much. It'll be nice to have some spare gold on me again."

Achkby'll sit and wait until someone figures out how they're splitting the gold (Why is this a problem? Just split it thirteen ways... or make it easier, cut out Fizahn, 'cause he's a greedy bastard, and split it twelve ways.), and then collect the 300 gold from Aeroz, Brandobaris willing.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

17. - Top - End - #47

Lizardman Druid
    Meanwhile near the stables..
    The reptilian jerks awake. He blinks in surprise. Nothing had happened.

Why did I not see anything

He knew he had connected but no visions had presented before him. He looks up to see the wizard from his old roup sitting a distance away.

For a moment he grew suspicious of the magic user, considering whether he had something to do with the lack of visions.

However he dismissed the thought immediately.

This one has done nothing but aid me

Elthan's eyes had been gazing one something to the side but sensing a shift in the lizardman's body, they turn back to lock onto him. He smiles at the lizrdman.

Perhaps the place then..

He frowns at the surroundings around him and motions the wizard forward. He pulls a package of steaks from the side.

He looks around and sees no one else besides the two of them.

Cloudhair must still be eating
    His thoughts drift back to the drow and then to the dwarf and gnomes he had been re-united with. He would have to leave them tomorrow.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

18. - Top - End - #48

Fizahn:

Fizahn smiles as Achkby talks. "Oh, absolutely Achkby. I completely understand that you would never charge interest." Fizahn says in a tone of mock cheerfulness that is absolutely mocking the halfling. He turns back to Aeroz and whispers in a voice barly audible to Achkby, "Which is what makes him such a sap, because the amount owed to him will never go up." He then directs another cheerful grin towards Achkby. "I suppose you all want me to come up with an idea of splitting the wealth. I'm obviously the smart one and most decisive of the group. I propose we keep the ring as a little 'backup' tool. Nolan should keep it. I feel there are twelve of us who deserve a share of the treasure, as I feel Hajih and Delphinia aren't coming back. The gauntlet should go to Thokk. The prism isn't very important; we should sell it first oppurtunity and split the proceeds amongst those who didn't fight the hydra, Achkby, Elthan, Callos, and Kiah. The rest of us will take 181 Gold each with the missing rangers getting the remaining 9 gold if they return." Fizahn shrugs as he finishes speaking and looks at the group. Let's make a decision please.

OOC: When Nyssa and Lumpy return and explain about the ring, Fizahn will propose that Nyssa keeps the ring and the other members' pots go up to 200 GP with no gold left for the rangers.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy grunts an incoherant greeting as he passes Tiriel and Si'rene, but leaves it at that.

When he enters the hall again, he speaks almost immediately, his tone flat but strong enough to carry,

"Priest's buried. Anyone what wants ta say their peice over his grave best do so tonight, we'll be riding out tomorrow by the time the sun's up. I wouldn't, though, there's something skulking around out there."

Shouldering his bundled furs, Lumpy moves over to the table, pouring and draining a goblet of wine before reinserting himself into the conversation,

"A share'a gold's fine fer me, I ain't much interested in any'a the rest'a the lot. Just don't stay up all night arguing. Details can always be sorted out on the road."

With that, the taciturn orc moves past the rest of his companions, heading up to his room wordlessly, leaving Nyssa behind to sort out matters on the priest's ring.

20. - Top - End - #50

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa follows the half-orc in, and stops by her brother's side. "Beware, Nolan, you appear far too relaxed. Before you realize it, you'll be speaking complete sentences, letting your hair grow out, and possibly even smiling." She then takes her freezing cold hands and cups his ears, grinning.

She then heads to the table and drops a golden ring on it. "This was on the priest, the only salvagable item Lumpy found. It radiates a pretty fair amount of transmutative magic. I'm not sure of its function, aside from prolonging this discussion. Are you really still talking about money?"

21. - Top - End - #51

Tiriel
    "Yeah, I guess we do."

"I'm going to take a walk and then turn in. Let me know what that group sorts out in the morning - all I care about is that everyone is treated fairly.
    "

Tiriel streches a bit before puting action to her words. If it's not too late, she'll try to find someone who's willing to sell her some flasks of oil. Maybe I should start with the kitchen? she thinks.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

22. - Top - End - #52

As the night drags on, one by one each of you retires to your rooms to rest. In the end, the group agrees to try to divide up the treasure into roughly equal portions ...

Aeroz, Achkby, Lissa, Lumpy, Fizahn, Tiriel, Si'rene, Trinark and Yix each claim 150 gp. Si'rene and Trinark also hold 150 gp for Katrin and the lizardman respectively.

Two more 150 gp shares are held for Hajih and Delphinia in case the rangers return.

This leaves 50 gp to be shared communally for lodging, rations and feed.

Nyssa is allowed to keep Silithos' ring, and the silver ring with the single remaining ruby is entrusted to Nolan. Although everyone has the same suspicions, no one is willing to waste a possible wish by "testing" the ring.

The gauntlet is given to Thokk, who would be the most likely to benefit from its powers.

Which leaves only the crystal prism. Callos peers at the prisms and notes some draconic lettering somehow etched into the center of the long crystal. The letters appear different depending on which of the three faces of the prism he is looking through.

OOC: Flasks of oil bought by Tiriel. Level restored to Elthan by Kiah.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Once again an expression of curiousty came to his face as he looked at one of these magical items. Going into his pack and retrieving his newly bought pen, a vial of ink, and a sheet of parchment the necromancer laid the sheet down and looked at the letters through each facet. Chewing on his lower lip some he wrote down what he read.

((Callos can in fact read draconic.))

24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Nolan had been wincing everytime his name had been mentioned when it came to the ring. I swear... Give it to me and I will toss it at that gauntlet.

And then the ring was placed in his hand.

He lets out a sigh. They just met me... "If it means going to bed at some point tonight then fine, I'll take responsibility for it." His hand closes around the ring. "I'll need a chain of some sort to place it around my neck. You wouldn't want me to be wearing the blasted thing on my finger next time Nyssa speaks to me."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, so be it. Now Im tired, and if im tired all of yer should be tired. I am going to bed lads, till the morning"

*Thokk picks up the gauntlet and gathers up his belongins. He bids everyone a good night, and wanders out to the main stable area to see if he can find the lizardman and talk for a while before he retires for the evening*

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix carefully counts his gold coins before adding them to his growing stash. After finding himself a drink, he scampers off to sleep.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

In his unlit room, Lumpy goes through his nightly ritual methodically, servicing his weapons and armor briefly and easily, eyes glittering in the dark.

Lifting his pillow, he slips his sheathed dagger and moneypouch beneath. His armor and pack are stacked neatly at the bed's foot in a military bundle, with the newly added guisarme propped alongside them. He folds his winter overclothing passingly, stacking it within easy reach on the bedside table.

Finally, he stalks around the room one last time, ensuring that everything is in good order, before settling onto his bed, tucking his flail against his chest as he drifts easily to sleep.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah beds down for the night, keeping her bag in bed with her and her door and window locked. Not that it helps much, but it does make me feel safer.

One thing is for sure anyway. This lot ain't no military. I've never seen such a lack of leadership. Kind of an organic hodge-podge She smiles to herself. The idea does have an attraction to a nature priest.

Still, it will be interesting to see who actually says something to me tomorrow, one way or the other.

29. - Top - End - #59

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa stays up late, enjoying the company, the fire, and the drinks. She actually speaks little, and spends her time watching the rest of the group and listening in on their discussions. They're all so very interesting.

Other than that, she plays with the ring in her hand, but doesn't put it on. She was happy to take the ring in lieu of money, she finally decided -- she had enough money for now, and this way she could be sure the ring would be given to the right person once she knew what it did. She just hoped Lumpy wasn't upset, because she could see how it looked for her to end up with it. I'd talk to him, but I think that might annoy him even more.

She's one of the last to go to bed. When Nyssa does, she takes the precautions of securing her door and window, but beyond that she acts as if she is completely at home. Her pack is on a chair, her cloak and robes thrown over it, and within a minute she's sound asleep in the bed.

30. - Top - End - #60

Aeroz

About an hour and a half after the treasure has been distributed, Aeroz goes to his room. He takes off his chain shirt and unbuckles all his weapons but a dagger strapped to his ankle, throwing them to the ground in an unorganized heap. Lying down on the bed, his thoughts begin to wander.

Something just occured to me, I only get about four hours of rest a night, while everyone else gets around eight. Seems kind of odd...my race is of the longest lived, you would think we would be able to devote more time to sleep. I guess life is strange that way...why is common so confusing in it's spelling anyways? There are a lot of words that are spelled the same, yet are spoken differently...

Spoiler
    Show