New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Lumpy

Lumpy arrives a while before noon, heading inside quickly through the snowball fight without comment or complaint. Having skipped breakfast, he loads up massive plate of sausage. He eats ravenously, keeping careful watch and count over his companions, waiting for everyone to enter the common room all at once.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

After finishing his saucer of warm cider, filling himself on food, and paying for it all, Yix gladly agrees to go with Thook out to the caravans.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian will look away from the trio huddled at the window to Katrin as she munches on her breakfast. If she looks at him he politely nods his head slowly and looks her in the eyes before turning back to his companions to give her privacy.

OOC: awaiting KoG's reply. But i'm guessing Trinark, Elthan and me are obvious to yr char, blackfox
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

4. - Top - End - #634
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih returns the mug to the counter silently and slips out of the Inn near the end of the snowball fight.

His return, on the other hand, is much less subtle.

"Ta-da" Hajih calls, flourishing as he enters the inn "How do you like it?"

His clothes are brand new and (if at all possible) gaudier. The overcoat, while similar looking to his old one, is heavier and lined with fur. Around his neck is a long scarf that almost brushes the ground. Both the overcoat and the scarf glitter with sequins and various baubles. His shirt and pants, while heavier, are mercifully free of anything that glitters.

"Nice, isn't it? I got it for real cheap from one of the caravans. They said no one wanted to buy this stuff, do you believe that?" His eyes seem positively alight at his ‘lucky’ find
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

5. - Top - End - #635
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ye gods lad. Who did ye loose a bet to now?"

6. - Top - End - #636
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy squints in Hajih's direction,

"Great gods man, last fella I seen in a getup that stupid was hocking whores in Hlondeth. I s'pose it'd be too much ta ask if ya had any shame." He shrugs, muttering wistfully, "Or any women."
    Last edited by bhdrake; 2006-11-09 at 09:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #637

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at Hajih as he enters. His eyes widen in disgust as Hajih recounts his tale. "No, I absolutely cannot believe it! It doesn't make any sense. I'm completely baffled. DISCOUNT? What is the point of that? Do the people you bought those spectacular garments from want to lose money?" Fizahn frowns as he finishes his sentence and confers with Thokk for a few seconds. "Hey, Thokk, spectacular means the same thing as wretched, right?"
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2006-11-09 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Bolding
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa looks a great deal more cheerful coming in than she did going out, despite (or perhaps because of) being covered in snow and flushed from the cold. She accepts a plate of sausage and sauerkraut with enthusiastic thanks for the innkeeper and sits down near Kiah. "Thank you for listening, earlier. I... hadn't really talked about it before, you know? Didn't want to burden the others, since they were just as torn up as me."

When Hajih walks in and shows off his new 'finery', Lissa stops attacking her meal and just stares for a moment. Then she shakes her head, grateful for the rather dim indoor lighting. "And humans say my folk have gaudy taste in clothes," she mutters.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos DeTerran

Words failed to describe the...well sense of amazement as Hajih came walking back in with, if it was even possible, even more sequinnins. It almost hurt to look at him when all of the light was hitting his clothes. Who on earth sells that stuff?

"..." Callos opened his mouth to talk then shut it again. Then he finally found the words that seemed right. "I think its in everyones best interest if someone goes with Hajih when he goes shopping...and that he isn't allowed to scout anymore since he'll give us away. You look like a flesh peddler man!"

I wonder what he'll end up doing to that poor wolf...note to self, keep an eye on Hajih to see if he suddenly 'acquires' large amounts of gold from suspicious looking women. There should be a word for someone dressed so gaudily....huh. I'll need to think on it but it should start with a p.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #640

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa and Nolan

It’s a small shrine, more a collection of candles and trinkets from merchants, remembering those who died on the road this year, and those who died before who are still missed. The motley pile, vibrant and light, sits under a tree.

Nyssa approaches it, and instead of kneeling before it, she begins work tidying the shrine. Candles that have been burned down are replaced. Flowers that have died are removed. Trinkets knocked asunder by the wind are reverently placed right. Faded words written on parchment, naming the dead, are retraced or replaced in Nyssa’s careful hand.

Nolan works to shovel the drifts away from the shrine, clearing space. He carries away branches that have fallen under the weight of snow.

When they finish, she kneels before the shrine to Kelemvor, and begins to pray. Her brother stands nearby, keeping watch to ensure she is not disturbed.

She feels no cold.

After what seems like a few minutes to her, but is much, much longer, Nyssa’s eyes shoot open.

”Nolan, we are needed,” she says simply.

When they return to the inn, after lunch, both Nyssa and Nolan are silent. They go to their room, as if of one mind.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

As Hajih enters, Achkby's nearly sprays the counter with warm cider. He slaps his hands to his mouth, and his knife (his sole eating implement) clatters to the plate of sausage. Cider drips after it from between his fingers, and he is glad to no longer be wearing his pretty blue gloves.

What in the nine--wait! ...yes, nine--hells is he wearing?! Can he really be serious?

Achkby forces himself to swallow, and take four deep breaths.

Actually, he doesn't look too bad. Sequins were all the rage way down south... heh, they looked good on that dancer in Blindzenat (and even better on my floor), so why not on a man? I could get used to this look.
    After all this roughin' it and toughin' it and Lumpyin' it, it's not a bad change at all! Gives the impression of... opulence. Of success! Not just any fellow can afford a coat like that, and not just any fellow can look himself in a coat like that. But Hajih, he does all that and more...

"I like it!" announces Achkby loudly from his barstool. "Takes some real charisma to pull off a look like that, I'm impressed. It's a daring move, too, ya know, shows you're real fashion-forward. Glitteryness was all the rage way down south, when I was travelling through there."

He smiles rather, glancing at the others before looking back at Hajih.
    "Now, we took you on as a guide and expert for the Underdark, and figured out you weren't cut out for that even before you started wearin' the jewels. But we thought that meant you were useless for recon. But that's clearly not the case, you're a natural scout! Only, instead of being the type to creep through the shadows ahead of the main party, finding our path, watching for dangerous enemies, and detecting cunning traps, you're the sort that swaggers jauntily ahead of the main party, well lit, finding the path we shouldn't take, distracting the dangerous enemies, and springing traps cunning and stupid alike!
    "I propose a toast to our Hajih!
    " says Achkby, raising his mug in the air. "Not only will he clearly be successful with the ladies forthwith, I want to think this brave traveller for stepping into his role as bait extraordinaire!
    Barman, have you a bejewled goblet for this fine man?!
    "
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

12. - Top - End - #642
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lad, in all the nine hells I could not think of a term to describe them clothes. Wretched seems to work for now, but we need something more powerful. Here be the plan. I grab him, you set fire to the clothing"

*Thokk Looks over to Lissa*

"Oi! Lass! Belive me, I think hes not the average human, lost a few pieces from his Chaes set if ye know what I mean... You help with the fire also"

13. - Top - End - #643

Lizardkin Druid
    The opening of the inn door distracts the lizardkin's gaze as Hajih enters.

The druid stops talking as his attention shifts fully. Frowning, as he studies the creature, it takes a second before the hat registers and he recognises him as Hajih himself.

Semuanya!... Even we abolished the custom long ago. Wonder what he did to deserve being punished

He turns to look at Trinark who'd covered his mouth and was intently staring at the floor. His eyes were half-shut and his shaking puzzled the druid until he spotted the grin behind the drow's hand and put 2 and 2 together.

Spinning around to look at the flamboyant ranger {OOC: 2 words i thought i'd never use together},

NO!...he would'nt...

But the thought leaked conviction exponentially from the start. With a deep sigh, he returns to the conversation with Elthan.

Yes

He would...

He mentally reassigns Hajih to yet another higher level of 'strange' and adds the old wolf snoring next to the fire to his list of worries.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

14. - Top - End - #644

The innkeeper's tic goes into overdrive and his lips are compressed into the thinnest of smiles as he hands over a pewter goblet (as opulent as the Dancing Dragon gets) for Hajih.

The several days of forced rest do your party some good, but as the snow melts, there is a feeling of restlessness and anticipation in the town.

(OOC: Time to finish whatever business you might have in the town ...)

On the dawn of the third day, you awaken to the sounds of trumpets, gongs, and explosions ... The innkeeper is in an excellent mood. A buffet of warm sausages, hotcakes, and scrambled eggs awaits you downstairs.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Delphinia comes downstairs early with Nyssa and Nolan, already dressed in her armor. She drops her gear next to the table, taking a only a few minutes to eat breakfast, then she picks up her gear and stalks outside, face set with determination, to saddle up Gladi. As soon as Nyssa and Nolan start out, she follows them.
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2006-11-10 at 11:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

She rises early that day, prays to sharpen her resolve, and meditates to focus her arcane energy. Dressing in her robes and carrying her furs and gear, she pauses in the room to say a fond goodbye to Kiah before she heads downstairs.

Ordering a light breakfast, she chats quietly with her brother and Delphinia as she consumes it.

Once finished, she approaches Lumpy. She says, ”My brother and I must depart. I have learned something of our home, and I believe it is now time to free it from its curse.” She presses two rings into his big hands – one, the supposed ring of wishes Nolan was carrying, the second, the strange ring she and Lumpy found on the priest.”Please take care, and tell the others I said goodbye.”

She pulls on her furs and shoulders her pack, waiting for Nolan to be ready. When they are, Nyssa leaves the inn, meeting Delphinia outside.

With one look back over her shoulder, she walks away from the inn, heading back the way they came.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan
    Nolan quietly descends the staircase. With a simple nod to Lumpy he follows his sister out the door.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

Thokk ventures into town several times over the days to get his hide fully worked, and also to work some hydra teeth into his sword and armor. He seems rather light hearted and laughs more then he has in the past, like he is enjoying simply resting

19. - Top - End - #649
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah is pensive for the 3 days spent resting in the inn. Obviously something is on her mind. When Nyssa comes to bid her goodbye she does not seem to surprised.

"I was thinking of heading south myself. I don't think this expedition north is going to get anywhere. I am needed back there."

"If you don't mind I think I'll join you. Traveling back that way on my own would be risky."

Kiah takes some time to pack up her things and enters the common room a little after the others. Unobtrusively she will make her way over to Lumpy and pass him a note (PM sent). Then she moves back to the middle of the room announces to anyone who happens to be listening that she will join the others on the trek south.

"I think my time would be better spent down south. So I'm going to join them for company on the road. I'm not sure what is going on with this Necromancer, but maybe I'll get a different slant on it down there. In any case, it was a pleasure meeting you all and if Ehlonna wills it we may run into each other again. Good luck to you and your quest."

So saying, she heads out the door to follow the others.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy was as cagey as anyone else by the third day. It had been pressed upon them that urgency was paramount, and he was fairly certain the walking dead weren't stopped by bad weather, or the need to eat and sleep. They ran a losing race at best parceling off their lead a day at a time. He would be glad to get moving again and move they'd need to.

What didn't surprise him was the sudden exodus the day brought. The fact that they'd come to him first, perhaps, but not that they would leave. He'd nearly followed the same course himself weeks ago; this wasn't these people's problem, not like it had become his. They were better off washing their hands of it, and he didn't blame them. He was a little sorry to see them go. The monk and the halfling woman were both quiet and thusly likable, and while the other two women were nosy and noisy, they had been fairly nice. But it wasn't his concern anymore, he had more pressing matters to deal with.

Stuffing Kiah's note away after a quick glance, he clutches the pair of rings in one meaty fist. His half-finished breakfast is pushed aside as he rises to his feet and clears his thoat, which has little if any effect on the quality of his speech,

"Alright, alright, if ya'll all listen up fer a bit, I got something ta say."

There is an unforeseen uncertainty in the dour orc's eyes, but he plows on regardless. The rambling disconcerted manner of his announcement betrays his inexperience,

"I done most'a ya wrong the time we been on the road. I did my part the way I saw it, but there ain't always just that much ta it. Held myself ta my faith as I saw it convenient and lef tit at that, but Windrider says there's more ta it than that. Says good folk lend a helping hand when its needed and I been doing him, me, and everyone a disservice by it."

He bridges his fingers together in front of his chest, his tone hardening as the topic shifts,

"I mean ta do better best I can, but that means making some changes. We done alright so far, mostly through chance, brute force, and no small amount of divine intervention." A glance is spared at Thokk and Trinark in particular, "But that's gonna need ta stop. Events'a the past have shown that these things'll only get us so far at heavy cost. Seeing as we just lost a right handful'a folk, it's more important than ever that we alter our approach. What we need is organization."

He clenches one hand into a fist and clasps it with the other,

"We need ta lay all our cards on the table, figure out what works best, so when we get in the next fight we can deal with it efficient-like. We need, in some for or another, leadership in those situations. I reckon I've got the most direct experience with tactical combat, so I'd volunteer myself fer that, but anyone competant can do it and I don't care WHO, long as SOMEONE does. What we're up against don't care who we are or what we indivudually believe in. What they will care about is how well we fight back." His gaze tracks about his companions, hard and appraising, "So whether yer a warrior, a priest, a mage, a lizardman, or.." He settles on Hajih, "or.. whatever, it's in all'a our best interests ta sort things out."

He settles back, waiting for the inevitable deluge of dissent.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin
    Katrin walks up to Kiah and motions her aside. "Kiah, before you go, I'd like a word with you..." ((Will post in the private conversation thread.))
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

22. - Top - End - #652
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah looks surprised when Katrin stops her, but follows her aside and listens she's had 3 days to talk to me. why now?. Her surprise quickly turns to concern, and she begins talking to Katrin in a quiet voice (posted in the PC thread).

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Upon hearing of the newfound companions' departure, Lissa bids them farewell with hugs, tears and blessings. She isn't terribly articulate, but then, Lissa seldom is when she lets her emotions go. I suppose they weren't Called to help us after all... oh, I know it's selfish of me, but I wish they were!

Having dried her face and regained most of her composure, Lissa returns to the common room just in time to hear Lumpy speak. Once he's finished, she stands up and nods decisively. "Ordinarily I'm not a big fan of rules and authority, but you're right. This group is just too big to get anything done without them." She smirks mischievously, dark eyes glinting in the dim light. "Sooo, since he was injudicious enough to actually volunteer for this thankless job... I vote Lumpy for leader! Does anyone second the vote?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

24. - Top - End - #654
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix notes the departures with a few dismissive waves, a few handshakes, and some issuences of luck for all. After giving these he removes himself to a warm chair near the fire, resting as he stares deeply into the flames.

25. - Top - End - #655

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby bids Nyssa and Kiah cordial good-byes, but says to Delphinia, "I'm especially sorry to see you go. We all pretend we get along grand, but as you found out, we don't. Not at all. It was good to have one of my own folk with us, if only for the brief time you were.
    "I wish I could up and leave with you, but I've invested too much in this. And it's the only thing, that... that I've ever been a part of, that... seems to be bigger than me. You've had all sorts of... experiences, or adventures, I guess, but for me, this is really the first. With any substance to it, at any rate. Even if, in the end, we... don't manage. But I figure, it won't really matter then, will it?
    " He smiles, as at a joke.

To Nolan, he says simply, "It was nice to have you along. Few people, aaybe none of us, are as certain of anything as you seem to be of everything."
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

26. - Top - End - #656
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

Thokk brews on the information for a second two, and then slams his mug down in approval

"Lad, I dont know what change came over ye, but yer having some good ideas. Though I disagree slightly with your notion that you have the most experience in battle, Im a front-liner, simple and straight. My jobs always been to protect the others and the rest of the clan, and thats what I do best, never really had a head for tactics in these huge open areas. Underground, I can teach yer a thing or two, but up here tis confusing. What you got exactly in mind lad?"

27. - Top - End - #657
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

"I second the vote that Lumpy should be our leader"

He looks around and shrugs

"What? If it means he gets blamed when something goes wrong...how can I lose?"
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

28. - Top - End - #658

Fizahn:

Fizahn shrugs as Nyssa, Nolan, Kiah, and Delphinia announce that they're leaving. "I think you're all just horribly embarrassed by the way Thokk and I trounced you in battle two days prior. Scared of appearing useless compared to our vast skill." He wanders back inside and listens to Lumpy's speech. He shrugs at that too while fingering the hilt of his 'short sword.' "Sounds all right to me. I just want to get out of here and test my skills with something a bit more deadly than a snowball." I suppose I could test them here, but there's no need to get us all in trouble. Maybe I'll just pickpocket any random person I run into.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-09-09 at 06:37 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

29. - Top - End - #659

The growing chaos outside is matched by the drama inside the Dancing Dragon ...

Nyssa and Nolan have had dark expressions on their faces since their visit to the small makeshift shrine. They claim to have received a message indicating that there is something wrong at home. Their presence is required, they say, and they have no time to lose.

Kiah has sensed that something sinister is brewing in her homeland as well, and her tie to the Forest of Lethyr is too strong for her to ignore. She too senses that she is desperately needed back among her people.

Delphinia volunteers to help to lead Nyssa, Nolan, and Kiah back to the south and west. The diminuitive ranger has noted something strange about the previous two nights' sunsets. As the sun has been setting in the west, the sky has been turning a violent crimson, "the color of blood," she observes. "It is not a good omen."

The lizardman has also been uneasy. He has not been dreaming, and the spiritual silence has been very disturbing and difficult to for him to explain. The druid's nostrils flare as the watches the humans and halfling return to the west, as if the lizardman smells something noxious in the air.

Within the inn, the remaining party members rise to their feet and gather around Lumpy. Though the past several days have been a pleasant diversion, the half orc's words and stern gaze remind everyone that there is work to be done.

Without speaking, Si'rene places the porcelain mask on the table. It is a silent reminder of the death of the hathran at the hands of Sethra/Sheyra and her tanar'ri ally. If the hathran was right, then Sethra/Sheyra and the demon are, even now, raising an army of undead to further Sethra/Sheyra's twisted ambitions.

The East's only hope is if your small band can convince the Iron Lord to assemble the Northern tribes in time to destroy the undead army before it grows too large to be stopped. You are no longer just a motley crew of adventurers. Instead, you now share a mission that may determine the destiny of this entire region.

She plants her long bow on the floor and bows formally to Lumpy. Her gesture makes her unspoken opinion clear. Lead, and I will follow.

The noisy activity outside the inn continues to grow ... A horse whinnies, and a female voice calls out, "Master dwarf, are you inside?"
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2006-11-13 at 11:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660

Fizahn:

Fizahn reflexively draws his dagger. Grinning a little, he sheaths it and talks to Thokk. "That's probably your hide. Let's go check it out." He eagerly heads towards the door to see what cyrohydra armor would look like.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.