New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby, too, has succumbed to the somber mood, and gathers around with the rest.

Lumpy leader? At least no one's suggest the insane Druid. But... what stake does that misshapen warrior have in this journey. I suppose I'll just have to go along with it. Don't want to start any trouble, and it looks like he'll get appointed whatever I say...

Achkby stand silently as Lumpy is endorsed, a sour expression on his face.

wait. What am I doing? Just a moment ago, I told Delphinia how important this was to me. How for once I was part of something. But despite the supposed committment I was spouting about, what have I really done for our cause? Burned a few monsters, that's about it. I've been following docilely along, casting spells on command, when everyone else wades into battle. I haven't had a real impact on anything this entire time. If I really care about any of this, what the hell am I doing just trailing along, trying to not offend anybody. That's not how I want to go through any part of my life, much less saving the world.
    Saving the world, hmph, I can't even get myself straight, much less anything larger than me. Time to start doing something right.

"With all due respect, Lumpy, I think Aeroz should be in charge. I know you have plenty of experience in combat, but our problems have not manifested themselves during our fights. Each of us has a niche, a set of things we can contribute to a fight, and we know what they are. For that matter, now that those newcomers have left, we know what each others' strengths are, too; we've fought together long enough now.
    "I don't think we need a leader for the field of battle. I think we need a leader for our journey. Now, I may not be much better, but as far as I can tell, you're bound to this journey by personal loyalty. To Si'rene and Tiriel, mostly. We picked you up in the Underdark half way along our trip, and your interest--aside from the concern everyone shares for saving the entire world as we know it--is in othermembers of this little clan.
    "That's important, but even more important is our ultimate goal of stopping Sethra. There's some fighting in that, but it's not everything. And that's why I think Aeroz would do best leading us. He's been in this since the very beginning, since the Kris was captured. He knows about combat, but as far as I can tell, he knows a fair bit about everything else too, and he hasn't offended much of anybody this entire time--except a beholder, but I was there to bail him out of that one.
    "At any rate, of all of this group, I think he's best to guide us from here. Like I said, he's been with this from the beginning, and, well... he's got good sense when it comes to every conceivable aspect of this journey, as far as I can tell.
    "

Achkby almost smiles apologetically, but sets his mouth in a frown instead. For once, he manages to forcefully present conviction.
    Last edited by HempRope; 2006-11-13 at 05:50 PM.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

2. - Top - End - #662
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy takes concerns one at a time, with surprising patience, first adressing Thokk,

"Could be ya do, but I specifically said tactical combat, and not battle. Most'a what I done's been small group, where it's ten or less'a ya versus however many'a them. There, it's increasingly more important that ya understand as much about the folk as possible. More so than any army on army battle, Ya gotta know what ya can expect. Who'll stand their ground when things go south, who's got the front, who's got the side, the flanks, and even who stands in the middle. Fer example, I'd put ya in what I call the rock, at the heart'a the form. Yer role's ta hold the whole damned thing in place, on account'a yer defensively geared and hard ta move. Me, I'm kitted towards dropping folk quick as possible and not overly concerned with how much I get back. If I can be sure someone's holding a line fer me ta fall back on, I can be just that more effective in my role. By working tagether like that, with everyone fitting inta a niche, survivability goes up."

He rolls his eyes at Hajih's comment, bows his head in a brief nod in response to Si'rene, before turning to Achkby,

"Which is a fine point. Don't get me wrong, I said leadership in specific situations, namely fighting. There will be fighting, and fighting is what kills people, not diplomacy. My knowledge is in the fighting, and that's where my concern lies. If the elf wants ta claim the whole shebang, that's his business, and I reckon he's got some claim ta it. Part'a the idea is ta put folk where they go best. Leave diplomacizing ta diplomacizers and magicking ta mages. I know well as ya do that I'm no good at either." He pauses a bit, almost as if he's finished, but continues, "And fer the record, I done decided. I do mean ta see this through. 'Til Sethra's dead or I am. I owe him that much fer the hassle alone."
    Last edited by bhdrake; 2006-11-13 at 06:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz

Lead? Me? Where did this come from? You actually think I can lead a group? I haven't led anything ever. I'd probably guide us off a cliff! That being said, Edgar doesn't have much in the leadership department either. And strategy doesn't really help us in battle when we are battling a centuries old wizard with almost as many arcane tricks as Mystra, a horde of walking dead and gods know what else."

Aeroz stops for a second to find a chair to sit down in.

"And besides, this group has had some pretty bad experiences with leaders in the past. Hajh over there got us lost when we were in the Underdark, and no matter what a leader decides, there are going to be people who disagree with what he or she chooses, and that just causes quarrels and conflicts. And who knows what is going to happen after this entire ordeal or if half of us end up dying in the process. A leader at this point would only complicate things"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

Through out the entire...would speech be the right word? Of both Ackby, Lumpy, Thokk, even Aeroz to a smaller degree, Callos merely sat there and gazed up at the ceiling as he tilted his chair back unto its back two legs. It didn't really concern him did it? None of them where going to put their trust in him after the...unusual tendencies that he displayed. And if they didn't trust him then how could they follow commands he might give them? Even with all of the rationalizing it didn't make him any less bitter about it. Hadn't he given them reasons...er...some reasons to trust him? Saving their lives an all that stuff....but he had also given them reasons to NOT trust them as well. In the end he merely sighed, cotninued to stare up at the ceiling.

"I don't have a mind to care in either direction. You all know what I'm good for. Casting and things pertaining to religon and spells is about all."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #665
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lad, im perfectly fine with that, and thats a job I can do well. In the caves, yer gotta have someone in front, and that was always my role, and Ill be damned if I didnt excell in that role."

*Thokk glaces over his shoulder as he hears the voice*

"And if ye will all excuse me, it seems I have something awaitn' me"

"Up at it lad, lets see whats there"

6. - Top - End - #666

Fizahn:

Fizahn turns back around as Achkby begins talking. He rolls his eyes at the halfling. Once Fizahn begins talking, his voice oozes sarchasm. "And I'd just like you to know what an unbiased opinion Achkby is presenting because Aeroz doesn't owe him a debt or anything that he can use to control the party. Oh, and Thokk, Elthan, and I haven't been in this just as long as Aeroz and fought Sethra more." Fizahn directs an angry glance at Achkby and speaks as intimidatingly as possible. "Give it up halfling. You're not going to manipulate this group into doing tasks that only you will get paid for." Fizahn abruptly turns his back on Achkby and walks out the door before he can respond. Stupid halfling probably wants to use us just to complete some other objective the Rasheman will pay him for.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

As the arguing gets more heated, Lissa sighs ostentatiously and rolls her eyes, leaning back in her chair to look at the ceiling. "Children, children. Play nicely or Mommy will have to spank you and send you to bed without supper." That's rich, coming from a person who's maybe three feet high. The biting sarcasm does cut through an argument rather nicely, though. Tipping her chair back upright, she glares at all the offending parties. "Seriously, people. We need leadership. Garl's golden beard, we lost out on a pile of loot back in the drow mummy's cave because everyone was too busy flapping their gums to get down to business! And I include myself in that 'everyone', despite the fact that being gnomenapped was a rather traumatic experience. Next time, it might be somebody's life we lose while people are running around getting in each other's way!" Glare. "I've come too far and the stakes are too high now to go down in a stupid mistake that could have been avoided."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

8. - Top - End - #668
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*As Thokk is walking to the door, he hears Lissa's comment and quickly remarks over his shoulder*

"Someone did die in that fight, lass, and was reason for some of the confusion"

9. - Top - End - #669
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"How do ya figure we're gonna be dealing with Sethra? Ain't gonna talk him down, are we? No, we're gonna kill him, and whatever allies he can dredge up. Saying strategy has no place a fight against a mage is just plain foolish. Ya were there when we fought him first, stumbling around haphazard while he played everything right inta his hands. I'll be damned if that weren't faulted by lack'a coordination. That's one'a the best examples'a what needs work.

"And blaming anything on the leadership'a that fool ranger is a cheap excuse. He couldn't lead himself down a hallway. Discipline don't complicate things, it simplifies them. And this ain't a point I'm giving up on."

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin
    Katrin finishes talking to Kiah and reenters the inn, trying to figure out what's going on.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

11. - Top - End - #671
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix watches the debate with passing amusement, to him it doesn't really matter who is in charge, as long as he can be Yix.

12. - Top - End - #672

Aeroz

"I'm not saying strategy has no place in fighting a spellcaster, I'm saying that we can't plan to fight someone we know so little about. Yes, he's a necromancer. So what? My father transmuted stuff, and he could conjur up powerful abjurations if he so felt like it. For all we know, he could be scrying on us now, right as we speak. Stubborness does not block scrying Edgar. He would know what we were planning while we were planning it. And what if we had a strategy the last time we fought Sethra? Thokk would still have had his mind taken over and Elthan's clone would still be killed. And don't bother telling me you knew Sethra was posessing Linda all along. All I am saying is that a leader, though useful in some situations, is a generally bad thing for this group as a whole."

"And Fizhan, don't for a second think that just because I owed Achby that he controls me. And he isn't the type to be manipulating people to suit his own devices."

13. - Top - End - #673

Fizahn:

Without turning to face Aeroz, Fizahn responds. "Really? You've known him all his life? You know how he'll react in every situation? He seemed to do a perfectly fine job of manipulating us so he could get his paycheck from the Rasheman. I think his motives are more run by money than you know."

OOC: Yeah, so last post I changed Fizahn's speech bubble color to blue because lime green was getting really annoying. I assume you're all very very happy.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

14. - Top - End - #674

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby, for once, says nothing to Fizahn. He grimaces for a moment, and then starts chuckling a bit.

"Alrighty. Well, thanks, Aeroz. I don't know whose side you're on in this whole leadership thing -- clearly not mine, but we agree on a couple of points too -- but I'm grateful for that vote of confidence. Don't bother too much about refuting anymore of that drivel, though. It's not getting us anywhere, and he doesn't seem much interested in getting us anywhere, either.
    "That said... don't worry about the rest of the gold. We have bigger things to worry about. I'm not getting paid by anyone for this journey, and if a hundred and fifty gold is all I lose here, I'll be mighty happy.
    "

I don't much like it, but I'll burn some bridges if I have to. Actually, I'm not sure if this counts. My ties with Fizahn were already in shreds, and I'm putting them to much better use with whoever else I can bond to right now.

Ha ha!
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

15. - Top - End - #675

Tiriel

Tiriel tries not to look too bored with the infighting going on between the "old-hands."
    Huh. Like Si'rene, Katrine and I haven't been here from the beginning. We're the ones who stole the trice-be-damned kris anyhow. In fact... well there's no sense dwelling on it, we didn't know. But I don't know how much longer I can take any more of this. Oh yeah. I've got to get them to at least agree not to throw Evendur out... I really wonder how much any of them care...

"A-hem." She clears her throat, loudly.
    "I'm sorry to interrupt this, err, spirited debate, but I have a couple of things to say, and even something to add. First off, it seems silly to anoint any one person to lead."
    She ticks the next points off on her fingers,
    "We need a general battle stagiest, a magic stagiest and a "face" for the group, so to speak. You're probably not going to find one person to cover all of that. What's more likely is that people will step into the roles their most suited for, and if you don't want to take a lead, no one is forcing you to. It seems we already have that happening. Most of us aren't soldiers Lumpy, we're not going to take to blindly following orders very easily.

Oh yeah, Evendur caught up with us. Unless someone has a problem, he'd like to join us."

ooc: heh. that'll go down like a throat full of rocks
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

16. - Top - End - #676
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"WHich is easier fer me ta understand than ya'd think. There was a time when I'd've rather marched ta my own drum than anyone elses. A few engagements worth'a watching folk of similar mindset getting slaughtered cured me'a that right quick. I ain't asking fer blind obedience from anyone though. Just some semblence of a plan."

The dour orc purses his lips,

"What I don't understand is how anyone could possibly think the lack of such is in any way preferable ta that. Yer assuming Sethra has the resources, spare time, and inclination ta sit around and watch us all day, which I strongly doubt, seeing as he's presumably also out forging alliances and raising an undead army, which is the entire reason fer us being in a panic anyway. Along with the fact that he's pretending ta be a young noble girl with no magical aptitude whatsoever, I can't see him having much leeway at all. However, even assuming that he was watching at this very instant, even then I disagree. It is entirely impossible that him seeing us plan could hurt us any less than him seeing us not plan. I'd rather he have an idea'a what we might do, than me having NO idea what me might do. There's no room fer uncertainty in this world. If we insist upon living in abject fear over scrying or magic or whatever that we got no control over, then we might as well never speak again. We might as well quit, be cause he MIGHT have anticipated our next move."

He shakes his head curtly, a snarl breifly rising on his lips,

"But we ain't gonna. Leastaways I ain't. I refuse ta let someone besides myself decide things like that. If we're in this, then we need ta be in this all the way. Focused, determined, and driven. Nothing less will ever do."

17. - Top - End - #677

Tiriel

"I don't think you quite understood what I meant." She responds to Lumpy.
    "I'm not saying that we shouldn't be organized, we defiantly need it. What I'm saying is that you're coming off a little too strong for many of us to relate too.
    We all want this over with, and we all want to help. What we don't need is an argument that splits us apart. And that's where this seems to be headed
    Now I could be wrong, but the last thing I remember is that we had all agreed to ride north so we can, hopefully, raise an army. Most of us know each other well enough to place ourselves where it will be most useful if it comes to a fight, if not, I'm sure we'd take suggestions from more veteran combatants." She nods toward Lumpy and Thokk, " I really don't see why we can't finish this discussion on the road. As has been pointed out, time isn't waiting for anyone."

A bad commander is ten times worse than an incompetent solider, you're not the only one who's had to watch people die. Tiriel's grim thoughts echo her worst fears.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

18. - Top - End - #678

Thokk opens the door revealing a surprisingly busy scene outside. The Tuigan leatherworker sits astride a light riding horse. She leans down and passes Thokk a neatly wrapped package. Thokk eagerly rips open the package and admires the cryohydra hide - it is smooth and white, with purple and blue highlights as it catches the sunlight. With a nod of the head, the Tuigan trots off.

The entire town is a whirlwind of activity. The caravans have decamped and are preparing to set out to the east. The wagons are being hitched to their horses. The Shou are setting off firecrackers. Humans and elves are running and riding this way and that. Stray animals are being rounded up and herded into containers. Guards are pointing and shouting. The controlled chaos is jarring after past several peaceful snowbound days.

The innkeeper stands happily by the doorway. "They've just received word. The River Mulsantir has frozen over and can be crossed safely now. Your horses and ponies are waiting for you in the stables ..."

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa has been shifting restlessly in her seat, occasionally muttering acid commentary at all sides of the 'debate'. When the innkeeper makes his announcement, she stands up. "Great! I'm with Tiriel, in that we can argue and ride at the same time. We all agree that we need to beat feet to the Iron Lords, so let's go!" With that, she hurries up the stairs and into her room. A few minutes later, Lissa emerges fully kitted out for traveling in the cold and bounds toward the stables.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

20. - Top - End - #680
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur sits quietly in a corner, now wearing a longsword sheathed in an ornate scabard atached to his belt. His cloak hangs by the door.

Best to not disturb the hornets nest.

Evendur frowns, thankfull in one way that no one has raised objections to his presence or Tiriel's announcement that he is to acompany them, but slightly annoyed that he has raised so little coment, the pride of a Sunite Paladin kicking in. The Lizardman hadn't even looked at him. He shakes his head, clearing that line of thought. Insted he thought about the current topic of conversation.

It was interesting to note how the power lines had changed. The group that Karzak had been involved with seemed to have been completely assimilated by the whoever the rest of these people were. None of them, not even Tiriel, were trying to assume leadership, which supprised Evendur, though the more he considdered Tiriel's character, the more it made sence. Tiriel was not interested in leadership or controll, only that something be done, and if that required her to take controll, act as a leader of some sort, then she would do it, but when it wasn't she'd be happy just to be part of what was hapening. He noted how she stepped in here in an attempt to just get things physicaly moving towards their goal.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

21. - Top - End - #681

Pre-Innkeeper Announcement
    Lizardkin Druid

OOC:this is before DR and phasm's post

The lizardman waits for Tiriel to finish and for a pall of silence to decend as the various members contend with their thought and suspicions they had on the other members.

"I have heard your wordss. I will sspeak now"

"I have watched much. Your sskill iss great but.. your big weaknesss is you do not run ass one pack."

"4 nights from this day, we met shapechangers that surrounded us and made us their prey. They won. Not us"

"We hunt ass many hunterss but not one pack. A sstrong pack has a leader. Your wordss are good sSerpent-sslayer. Among my people, a leader is not chosen by his wordss but by hiss actionss. Let thosse who wish to lead sstep forward. Fight with honor and win your honor. The besst hunter is sstrong, fast and cunning. Only he..."

He stops and looks directly at Tiriel before turning back to everyone.

"Or sshe... may lead. The otherss sshall receive... rank.. due their honor"

With simple words and breaks and pauses as he attempts to remember words, the lizardman pulls off a worthy speech in the common tongue. He had been silently listening with Trinark translating the ongoing arguments.

His proposition was simple. He supported the idea of a leader but rather than sit and argue over the role, he proposed the ones keen on leading to step forth and contest for the position. The flaw that some could detect was that the simplistic lizardman expected a clear winner to emerge, along with a clear pecking order.

One might even extrapolate that different contests could be held for different circumstances. The critical flaw remained though. Along with the troubling possibility that not all might accept the outcomes.

He remained standing before rumbling out,

"I have one question."

"He is REALLY a ranger?"

There is a quizzical expression on his face dashed with a good measure of alarm as he pointed at the pimped- out Hajih who sat in their midst.
    Last edited by runehawk; 2006-11-16 at 10:14 AM.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

22. - Top - End - #682

Tiriel

Tiriel looks at Thokk and Lumpy in surprise and with a certain amount of dread.
    I understand why he thinks that us fighting each other would proclaim a leader, I just don't think it'd be a good idea. This group isn't held together by race, religion, or even morals. she winces internally, having us fight could split the group even more than arguing, and we'd be short a few members if trouble came on the road... I... I also don't really feel the need to lead this group, I'm just sick of hearing people argue when they all want the same thing. Maybe I should have stayed out of it...
    She shakes off her shock and faces someone she counts as a friend, despite their differences.
    "I understand your idea, but I don't think it would work well for our," she stops and remembers how Kiah explained things to the lizardman, "...pack. We face an enemy who is... strong in many ways, not just physical. We need people to think freely and share their ideas as well as fight if we stand a chance to win against him. Hurting each other will not help share ideas." She finishes lamely. She's not really sure if she explained that very well. She had felt herself searching for words the entire time and felt a bit confused herself afterwards.

She looks up and addresses everyone, "But now, the road is clear for us. We can continue going north. We can talk on the way just as well as we can here, sure it'll be colder, but I think we all expected that." She finishes with a weak grin.

23. - Top - End - #683

Lizardkin Druid

The Druid nods in approval of Tiriel's objection. There is a pause as his gaze shifts to the others before returning to rest on Tiriel. The undisturbed expression on his face betrays that he had been anticipating that question and seeing that he was commanding everyone's attention,

he holds up his left hand.

"Ideass"

He lets his hand drop as if holding an invisible weight on it.

"Talk"

He says looking at the hand.

He lifts his right hand.

"Action",

he says letting the hand drop as it had a weight on it as well.

He mimes a scale balance between the two hands. Ending with a disparity greatly favoring 'talk', he looks intently sweeping his gaze over the seated fellowship.

It seems apparent what his unspoken message is as is his impression that most of you agree with him.

He drops his hand and begins to stare interestedly in the hydraskin that Thokk was showing off to Fizahn.

(OOC:Sorry what I visualised in my mind. let me know if i'm wrong)
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

"You should listen to Shiney. Her type is usually correct in manners concerning working together and what not. As for the brawl to determine leadership, its a bad idea. At least to do it in here. Persanolly? You all have the wrong idea. There doesn't need to be one strategic leader for diffrent kind of situations. There only needs to be one with the people skills and understanding to defer to experts in they're field, can resolve disputes between individuals, and has the decisiveness to follow through on the choices he or she makes. Choices which need to be quickly. Thats a problem the lot of us have. Deciding things. Anyway, I doubt your going to listen so go on back to bickering."

Came the bored voice. This was definitly surprising seeing as how Callos had seemly been determined to stay out of this whole little debate. The necromancer had resumed staring at the ceiling, fingers locking behind his head as he pondered things. Of course, he looked the same but some rather troubled thoughts had come to him. Standing up abruptly, the human removed himself from his groups company and travelled up to his room to gather his belongings. Coming back downstairs with his pack and what not, Callos also held a sheet of parchment in one hand, and an inkwell and quill in the other.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

25. - Top - End - #685

Tiriel

Tiriel nods at the lizardman, relived that he understood what she had said. His pantomime of the current situation makes her smile.
    He understands what's going on better than people give him credit for...

Her thoughts are interpreted and she turns and glares at Callos, but says nothing in response, watching him leave before returning her attention the the rest.
    Now what exactly did he mean by that? she wonders.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ahahah! Look at this lad! This'll make a fine cape, and there be plently left over to finally re-enforce my suit"

*Thokk looks over and sees the lizardman's interest*

"Ach scaley, ye like it? This be impressive indeed. I can finally start re-building me collection o trophies"

27. - Top - End - #687
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy stands silently for a moment, jaw tightening into a scowl,

"Fine, ferget it. Let's just go."

He turns abruptly, heading to his room to gather his gear.

Proof enough fer ya?

Things aren't always so easy, You have-

-to give it time, yeah, yeah. Quit kidding yerself. They made things pretty clear. Why should they care when it's my blood that get's spilt.

They weren't all-

Enough of them were. Funny how them who've gotten through without a scratch are opposed ta the idea, ain't it? Who needs discipline when ya've got me? They made it clear they expect me ta keep my place. Like their orcs silent, stupid and obedient. Fine.

When he re-emerges, he's wrestled his plate on and shouldered his pack. he doesn't even pause on his way out the door,

"Hurry it up so we can beat these wagons onto the road,"

28. - Top - End - #688

Tiriel

Tiriel was surprised that Lumpy was so upset with the outcome of the "discussion."
    Maybe he really did want our confidence placed in him as a leader, even though he said it didn't matter who... she muses.
    She heads upstairs to don her armor and gather her gear. On her way out, struck by a certain thought, she goes to ask Evendur a question.
    "I forgot to ask if you have a horse. If you don't, I think you can ride in one of the wagons. I think Hajh has one."
    With that settled she goes outside and saddles her horse so that she's available to help anyone who might need it.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

29. - Top - End - #689

Long years of experience as adventurers have taught each of you to pack quickly. Your mounts are saddled up or hitched to your wagons before midday, and, after settling with the innkeeper (who appears to be truly relieved to be seeing you depart), your party joins the exodus heading northeast toward Tammar, Two Stars, and the River Mulsantir ...

The sky is a brilliant azure and the sun reflects brilliantly off of the recently fallen snow.

Trinark, unaccustomed to being on the surface during the day in this degree of brightness, is forced to ride in the back of Hajih's cart under a makeshift tent to shield him from the winter sun. After a brief argument in draconic, the drow managed to convince the lizardman to join him under the heavy canvas, not because the druid suffers from any light intolerance, but more so that they both can stay warm and minimize any unwanted attention from strangers.

Thokk mounts his warhorse proudly, with his cryohydra hide slung over his shoulders like a cape. As usual, he and Lumpy ride ahead as the group's vanguard.

Tiriel, Katrin, and Si'rene ride together. The gray elf remains impassive and inscrutable as is her way, while the two other women converse quietly.

Evendur, the newcomer, rides a few paces behind the women deferentially. He generally keeps his hood up and his head down, but when he occasionally looks around, there is no denying that he is strikingly handsome. Still, most of the rest of the party keeps their distance, eyeing him suspiciously.

Fizahn and Callos ride in Elthan's cart. Callos looks pale and has dark circles under his eyes as though he hasn't been sleeping well. He mutters to himself quietly, staring toward the horizon. Soon, Fizahn decides to join Elthan up at the front of the cart, leaving the twitchy necromancer alone in the back.

Aeroz rides beside the cart on his light horse, quietly fingering the hilt of his rapier. The elf has seemed distracted of late and has been increasing withdrawn. When he thinks no one is looking, he eyes the three women suspiciously.

Lissa on her riding dog and Achkby on his pony bring up the rear. She alone seems not to resent Achkby for his role as the hathran's spy, but at the same time she recognizes that he might want some space. They ride quietly, making only casual conversation about the weather.

The various caravans mostly keep to themselves, each one keeping a polite distance from the next. Your group finds itself sandwiched between the Tuigan caravan up ahead, and the elegantly appointed Aglarondan caravan behind.

Keeping the Thesk Mountains to your right, you gradually leave the Forest of Lethyr behind and find yourselves on a barren, flat plain. Days pass, each one colder than the next. It takes nearly a tenday before word is passed along the caravans that Tammar lies just ahead. The caravans pick up their pace.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2006-11-17 at 11:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #690

Elthan

Inn

Elthan casually listens as the group discuss the role of leadership. As far as he was concerned, the group didn't need aleader, and even with one nothing much would change. Everyone here was dedicated to the same goal, and among so few what would be the point? They only needed a little orginization, not a codified pecking order.

Tiriels idea sounds nice. Someone to help arrange our magic stategies and our fighters, and someone to speak on the parties behalf. None would really be held too far above the rest, and everyone retains thier autonomy. Could work.

Everyone is quickly distracted by the opening of the roads, and Elthan begisn to pack up with them. Yet another discussion without a definite solution.

On the road, Day 2

The group prepares to camp for the night, and Elthan ventures off to the side of the group to do some studying. As he rest himself agianst a tree and prepares to open his book, the Lizard begins to approach.

Elthan sets his book down and stands up, and the Lizard speaks first.

"You said you would help, do we know what we can do?"

"I'm gald you asked, I wanted to discuss our options.. Shall we go for a walk?"

Elthan guides the druid into the forest and walks along side him, making sure to keep close to the camp. "I've thought of a few things we could do, the first and obvious one beign scying. Getting the spell wouldn't be difficult, but we'd have to wait until we could get a mirror, and a very expensive one at that. We'd need to ask the group for funds, or find some sponsor. Further more, it wouldn't last very long, or divulge anything other than the current activiteis of a single subject or place. Contrary to popular belief, scrying isn't an instant or complete solution to observation."

He steps over a fallen, snow covered log before he continues listing. "Alternatively, we could just go there. We could teleport there, spend as much time as we needed, and teleport back. Yet agian, however, this far exceeds anything I could purchase, or at current do." Elthan stops walking and turns towards the Lizard. "I'm sorry Ssathiya, there's really little I can do." Elthan appears severly dissapointed at himself as he points this out.

He attempts to brighten himself and fails before bringing up a solution. "I can try to commit the party to obtaining the mirror, and convince Callos to scribe the spell. Scrying could be usefull for fighting Sethra, and they'd most likely agree to scry on your village for you, but whatever we can do, it will take a bit of time. I'm sorry that there's not much more I can do."

(OOC: Elthan really wants to help, but after some consideration, there really is nothing he can do until they get a windfall. The cheapest is a Scroll of Scry for 700gp, and renting out a 1k mirror. We could always see if the pary wants to pitch in for that kind of divination power later down the road, but I'm not sure how patient Ss is. I say later because no one can cast 4th level yet, so we'd need a scroll each time. At 700 a pop, most would agree to wait a level.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar