New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1515
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Elthan

"It could very well be best to split up temporarily. It's worked for us before, and if there are only three of them, they should only go after one group at a time."

Elthan maneuvers his cart to prepare to go down the left road. "I'll go with Evandur. If we could take Tiriel, Trinark, Callos, and, perhaps Yix, I think we might have two balanced groups."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

2. - Top - End - #992

Tiriel recalls hearing that, although the River Mulsantir is frozen across its narrowest point, Lake Ashane itself likely won't freeze all the way across for another month, if at all. On the other hand, there are rumors of "witchboats" that cross the Lake through the entire winter that might provide way across the Lake if you take the Cold Road north.

Although it is well known that vampires can not cross running water, it is not clear whether a frozen river would be a barrier to Lady Valentine's passage.

Trinark, huddled under a thick blanket, shakes his head. "Perhaps Lady Valentine isn't traveling overland ... Do not forget that passage though the Upperdark can be almost as rapid as travel on the surface ... And it is certainly more comfortable ..."

Each of you looks at each other uncertainly. Is it time to split up again?
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-01-26 at 09:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz

"Splitting up wouldn't be the wisest idea. Sure our enemies need to split their resources if we do, but that leaves us just as vulnerable. We have a lot less than they do, meaning we have more to lose splitting up than they do. I mean, not to seem insensitive, but look at what happened to Lissa, Hajh and Elthan. With a few more people on hand, that ambush may have gone a lot better for them." Aeroz states bluntly as he waits for the party to come to some kind of agreement.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

4. - Top - End - #994

Tiriel

Tiriel exchanges a knowing look with Katrine before speaking.
    "Aeroz is right, and after what happened the last time we split up, I'm not eager to do it again." she stops and considers the addition of the Underdark to the current travel puzzle.
    "While we were in Two Stars I asked about crossing the Lake Ashane. The lake isn't likely to be frozen for another month but there was talk of some kind of 'witch boats' that cross even in winter. We could take the Cold road and then go east, cross the lake, and then straight to Immilmar. The other path is to cross the closer River Mulsantir and then proceed north.
    It's not a path we'd considered before and it certainly sounds quicker than the northern overland route."
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-01-26 at 02:04 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

5. - Top - End - #995

Achkby

Achkby looks confused. "Can't we go straight across the river immediately?"

[OOC]I'm not sure why I'm so confused... I think I may not know exactly where our destination is on that map.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

6. - Top - End - #996

You pore over the map that Si'rene had been carrying. It looks like your ultimate goal is Immilmar, the seat of the Iron Lord.

One way to go would be "straight ahead", meaning almost directly east from Two Stars across the frozen River Mulsantir (the narrow straight of water connecting Lake Ashane to the north and Lake Mulsantir to the south). This path will lead you to Mulsantir itself. Leaving Mulsantir, you would cut to the north through Rashemen. This seems to be the route favored by Tiriel.

An alternative path would be to "turn left", or head more directly north from Two Stars, following the road that lies just west of Lake Ashane (along the letters ASHANATH on the map). This path is also known as "the Cold Road". Eventually, you would have to try to cross Lake Ashane to get to Immilmar. Maybe the "witchboats" can help, if they even exist. Maybe the Lake will be frozen solid to allow passage on foot. This path seems to be the one that Elthan favors.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur frowns.

"I would be more comfortable going north at the moment. If themajority are unwilling to split the party or go north, then I will follow them. I do not know this area well enough to make my way on my own."
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin
    "I guess I'll stick with Tiriel, although I'm not in favor of splitting up the group. We have too much to lose by that, like Aeroz said. And after the last time... I don't think going through the Underdark--even if we remain close to the surface--would be a good idea."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

9. - Top - End - #999

So far the votes seem to be as follows:

QUESTION: Stay together?

Split up: Callos, Elthan
    Don't split up: Aeroz, Achkby

QUESTION: Which way?

Cross the River: Katrin, Lumpy, Achkby
    Take the Cold Road: Evendur, Elthan

QUESTION: What would the pseudodragon do?

Whatever: Yix

Some sort of decision needs to be made ...

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

Thokk mulls over the decision. At this point, he really didn't care what happened to him, as long as they could finally put a stop to it all. He finally speaks up...

"Stick together. We should stay as a group. Bad things could happen, lads, and we are stronger together then we are apart."

11. - Top - End - #1001

Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian squints at the map that Flame-sword lays out and thinks.

Up north and across the lake would be quickest. But i know nothing of this land and of the lake

He hears suggestions of splitting up but does not raise his head to join the discussion, confident that the recent massacre would force them to be more cautious.

He also studies the direct overland route from Mulsantir to Immelmar without the roads. His lack of familiarity yet another worry for him.

Roads supposedly signified safety in warmblood lands. Shaking his head he studies his companions.

"Can we take boat from here..."
    He points to Mulsantir
    "to here."
    He moves his single extended claw up Lake Ashane to Immelmar.

"I can paddlecanoe", he says seeking to be helpful.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

"This is what I mean. I merely pointed out that it was probably our best bet, and people are already turning it down. I just thought I should point that out."

He said abit boredly. Afterall, it wasn't like it had gone in an interesting direction. They had reacted how he had thought they would, to a certain degree.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #1003

Trinark sides with the druid, though whether this is simply out of friendship or because of some premonition is not clear.

It is agreed, then, to keep the party together, and to take the Cold Road north, hoping for quick passage across Lake Ashane to Immilmar. Elthan, who had initially suggested splitting up, shrugs at the decision to stay together. He had already turned his cart toward the north anyway.

The next several days are uneventful. You keep the Lake to your right, following the path (hardly worth calling a 'road') northward. The plain remains flat and featureless, with thin grasses bowing before the cold westerly winds. On occasion you see dark herds of wild oxen roaming aimlessly. The sky remains gray and threatening, though no snow falls.

This plain, called Ashanath, appears to be untouched and uninhabited. The lizardman, sensing the untapped richness of its dark earth, wonders aloud why humans had never bothered to settle this region.

One evening, Callos pores over the map, noting how close you had passed to Thay, the northernmost province of the Mulhorandi empire. Perhaps this proximity has something to do with the emptyness of the land?

Around noon of the third day, you spot a hunched figure crouching beside a wooden signpost along the road in the distance.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-01-28 at 07:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin rides quietly, sticking close to Tiriel. When she sees the figure beside the signpost, she silently berates herself for forgetting to ask Trinark if he could bless her extra waterskin, thinking that the figure could be any type of creature. She approaches cautiously.

(OOC: How is the figure dressed (in peasantish rags, travelling clothes, etc.) Is it possible to determine his/her race from this distance?)
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Callos knew that there was something important about being this close to the province Thay. There had to be and it was nagging at the back of his skull quite a bit. But he couldn't for the life of it figure it out! But now there was a new event and it looked like Ackby wouldn't be needing a talk after all. But now this figure leaning against the sign post.

"So...I take it that it would be considered bad form to simple lightening bolt that person and continue on our way? Or should I handle it like I did the wolf?" He asked dryly. Joking of course, anyone could tell that just from his tone but he figured it had been a while since he had so readily quipped.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

16. - Top - End - #1006

As you cautiously approach, it looks as though there are actually two people huddled together under a ragged blanket. They appear to be arguing.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy unstraps his guisarme without a word. In a way neither threatening or wholy casual, he slips the butt of the polearm into his left stirrup as they near the figure(s) by the roadside. He'd had enough surprises lately, and he wasn't going ot be caught unprepared on the off chance that something was amiss.

Even if they were benign and took offense. . . well, he'd started fights over less.

18. - Top - End - #1008

Ssathiya, Lizardkin Druid

The druid had been more content to sit in the last cart and squint into the wilderness surrounding them.

He was keeping an eye out for any 'surprises' from the sides or the back.

When they run into the huddled figures, he rises up and studies them with a frown.

Looking at Elthan and Trinark, he says the thought foremost in the minds of most,

"Trap?"
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

19. - Top - End - #1009

"Almost certainly," replies the drow, shading his eyes.

As you approach closer, you realize that the scale of the situation is off somehow. The two figures huddled together are unusually large. Even though they are crouching, they are obviously much larger than human-sized.

The signpost they are sitting by is also much larger than you expected, a massive oak post with three large arms pointing in different directions.

Three lumpy sacks dangle from the wooden arms. As your brains process the correct scale of the figures and signpost, you realize that each sack appears to contain a humanoid - two are the size of an adult human, the third appears to be a child. All three sacks wiggle slightly. Whoever they are, they are alive.

The hunched figures continue to argue underneath their ragged (but giant) blanket. "That wouldn't work, idiot! They'd both die!" shouts one.

20. - Top - End - #1010

Tiriel

Tiriel shoots Callos a glare, "Very funny. Haha. You'd better not run a repeat of that." She turns her attention back to the figures in question and as their size, and their captives, becomes apparent she remembers some of the tales she'd heard as a child.
    "Giants usually live near mountains, right?" she asks in a serious tone while drawing her sword.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

As they approached closer, seeing how very tall the two figures actually were, Callos couldn't help but give a surprised whistle. Those two were big. Really big. And from the looks of it were carrying a packed family with them, and that really rankled him. Turning to glance at Tiriel he gave a smug smile and pulled his spellbook out of his robes.

"Sure you don't want to revise you opinion, Ms. I-Hug-Acidic-Demons? Given the circumstances, and that no one has really heard of plain giants, I think I may actually be justified this time."

((Ready an action: Lightening Bolt if the two giant humaniods under the blanket make a hostile action.))

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur's eyes smoulder with anger at the sight of thse giants with their humanoid packs. Still, he holds it in check, face set as if it is a physical effort, and calls out to the creatures.

"Hail, giants. What carry you there in yonder sacks?"

He is, as usual, traveling in his apparent travelers garb, but his shield is strapped to the side of the horse over his left leg for ease of reach and his sword lies in it's scabard on his left hip. He loosens it with his right hand, hiding the movement behind his heft arm, hand slipping easily into the well made grip, resting against the pomel, ready to draw it at a moment's notice.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

As the depth of the scene ahead unfolds, Lumpy begins to form a course of action. They held the advantage in numbers, and for the moment, the advantage of surprise. Together, those gave them control of the battle that might lie ahead.

Encirclement was the most obvious plan. Split a few off to the side a ways and run the wagon down the road as a distraction. At best, they'd catch them completely off-guard, and at worst, they'd have them flanked from the start. Taking stock of his mounted companions, he makes his considerations. The dwarf he wanted with the wagon, in case something went wrong, and the pretty boy was too flashy to bring along for any subterfuge. Given the general exposure of the flanking group, he also wanted solid combatants- no sense throwing a handful of wizards in the path of what might be giants desperate for outlet. That didn't leave many. Tiriel, and the elf. Wonderful.

Keeping his silence, he gestures towards the two of them, then points off to the side of the road beside the giant figures, indicating they should follow him.

24. - Top - End - #1014

Lizardkin Druid

The druid gives a rather disgusted look at the blanket. It seemed a very poor attempt to bait travellers on the road.Especially if you barely hid yourself!

He recalled a folktale about a lizardkin that believed it could't be seen once it hid behind anything and closed its eyes. He recalled that it got eaten with a certain sense of satisfaction.

He wondered if the blanket and its occupants was simply a distraction from a real ambush. That would be cunning. He studies the surrounding ground looking for signs of 'trapdoors'.

Spot: 19 + 3 =21
    OOC: yes!
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

25. - Top - End - #1015

Aeroz

"Edgar, what the hells are you pointing at. Not everyone can understand hand gestures. You could just go and say what you had in mind. That could help" Aeroz speaks silently enough for Lumpy to hear it, and hopefully so that the "giant" or whatever it was could not.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix shows interest in the people behind the blanket, but feels the others have the situation well covered. He stays on the cart waiting to see if he is needed.

27. - Top - End - #1017

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

As they begin to approach, Achkby unhooks his spear from its place on Bess, hoping to look menacing, but quicky replaces it when he realised that it would appear little more than a twig to the immense figures they were approaching. He puts the spear on his back and pulls for a spell, instead.

[OOC]Ready the same action as Callos :P[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

28. - Top - End - #1018

Elthan

Elthan nods his head to the Lizard. "Most definitely." He looks suspiciously at the covered pair and counts the hours. About noon, so the Armor I cast at morning should have worn off. He gets up from the cart and cast the spell, then maneuvers to the side of the cart away from the 'giants' to provide cover in case of the decision to attack.

He watches as Evandur heads directly towards the giants, and seems ready to object to the open move, but checks himself before making his presence just as obvious.

(OOC: As a habit from now on, Elthan will be Mage Armored every six hours, for a total of eighteen hours of the day (thus the first two hours of sleep). Being noon, he will now have 5 1st level spells left. He cast Mage Armor, and readies to cast Slow)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

29. - Top - End - #1019

Tiriel

"Why don't you take your spell book and..." She notices that Evendur has hailed the blanket covered figures, "What the hell is he doing?"
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Yeah well you can put that flaming sword in the same place Shiney." Chuckling, the noise trailed off as Evendur approached the two figures and hailed them. This was some kind of joke, right? He didn't just do that...did he? Amusement changed into exasperation as he flipped to the right page of his spell book. He might not look intimdating, a bit creepy, but that didn't mean that he didn't pack a punch.

(Same readied action!)