New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Lumpy

Lumpy seems wholy undeterred by the druids words and posturing, countering with an agressive stance of his own,

"I tell ya what, I'll let ya pass me all clearlike. . . If ya can give me one good example'a what ya'll do ta help the girl. Just remember, yer going up against a mage with more experience than most'a the rest'a us combined. One who'a already killed more than one'a us fer being uncareful. " The burly warrior waves a hand to encompass the party as a whole, though by context, he's only pointing out some of them, "Who in direct combat with us, played us like a harp. Who's living in the body'a the one yer swearing ta save? I'm no stranger ta unclear paths, but there ain't no lack'a clarity in seeking out the necromancer now. Yers'll be one'a the corpses we gotta step over when a dead army comes marching. Just one more obstacle fer the rest'a us, and one less comrade ta fight it with. Do ya want that?"

He squares up with the lizard, eyes hardening to match coldly presented facts. His voice cools similarily,

"What WILL you do to avoid something proven so certain in the past? I'm all ears."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz

"As much as it pains me to say it, Ugly's got a point Lizardman. Every encounter with Sethra has resulted in some sort of loss. And now that he is in Sheyra, who holds a position of power, we can't just pretend that devotion and good will can get the mage out of her. Right now, the best thing you can do for Sheyra is leave her and Sethra alone. Because there is no doubt that he can and will kill you given the chance, and how can you save her when you are dead."

Aeroz stops and pauses for a few seconds.

"And standing here arguing about what needs to be done next isn't doing us any good either. We should probably get a move on."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elthan

Elthan is a bit suprised. On one account for the new found range of his expression, and again that the lizard elected him for support. He thought the others could persued him, but now feels he was in the best position to do so.

"Druid, I understand what you want to accomplish, but understand that so does everyone else. We all want to save Sheyra and stop the necromancer, but going back will not help now. The witch we meet wanted to do the same as you, and went to do so with several strrong warriors, but only her head was returned by Sethras new acomplises. I don't want you to end up like the witch, we will need everyone when we confront him. We will need you. We will head back to save her, but only when we're ready. It's a narrow cliff to rescue her, and there is no telling who the else the shadow may take. So please, stay with us."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Throughout the conversation Kiah is becoming increasingly agitated. She didn't understand the lizardkin words but it was clear what he was planning to do by what the others where saying. Kiah was being driven by her need to care for those around her. Not to keep them safe, but to help them live out their nature. It seemed to her that the lizardkin did not understand the subtleties of the situation and was acting on his tribal instincts at the wrong time. It was clear from what the others where saying that his going back would be fatal, and might expose the group's mission to further risk.

I've got to keep out of this - they don't trust me yet.... No you fools, he's tribal, the tribe is more important to him then his own life.... Don't say anything Kiah.... But fear is not going to move him. He will attack his fear... Don't confuse him with reasons..... He'll follow the words of a leader... But there is no clear leader here...

She can see him standing taller he is going to leave... he is summing his will...

Finally, she can stand it no longer May Ehlonna protect me.... She stands up in the cart to make herself appear taller.

"Druid!" she speaks in Sylvan. As a druid he should understand it and it was more appropriate for what she was going to say. If he doesn't look at her with comprehension she'll switch to common. "I am not of your tribe but hear me speak. Is see already that you are a great warrior and would give your life for the tribe. These ones..." she indicates the ones around him "...are also great warriors but they don't speak in the same way that you do. This you know. Please hear what their reasons say to my ears. You are all hunting Sethra. He is very dangerous prey. You know that as a hunter you must first understand your prey. They go to get help to understand this prey so it does not slip through your nets again. They will need your strength and your wisdom on this journey, for the people of the north also know the way of the tribe, and you may be able to speak to them better then we. The warriors here also think that Sheyra is safe for now, because Sethra needs her alive. But they need to hurry to find the net that will catch Sethra and return Sheyra to you. And they need you with them."

Kiah holds her breath, not knowing if they will ignore her, attack her, or throw he out. I say what I find... but I might have incured the fatal wrath of that one if I lied...

EDIT: spelling :(

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

"It's all right about my room, Tiriel..." Katrin says distractedly. "I don't... I didn't remember to tell the lord about the letter, and now would probably not be a good time." She lowers her voice. "I had intended to look at it first anyways."

Katrin looks up, and turns to listen to the argument. "What is going on over there?"
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach scaly one, how do ye think I feel? If I could right now I would cut the necromancers throat and let his lifeblood spill upon the ground. But evidnetly we cannot, why I am still not completely sure. But if we go north, we can find out both how to save the girl and destroy Sethra FOREVER. Lets hunt this bugger down, scaly one."

7. - Top - End - #97

Lizardkin Druid

Ssathiya stares blankly until the meaning of Lumpy's words sink in. Then he just gets mad. Both glower at each other as they face off. The lizardman draws up to his full height towering over the half-orc. Mirroring Yix, a growl emanates from the bottom of his throat. It sounded different from a 7ft scaly muscebound reptile though.

Wittingly Aeroz steps in to defuse the situation. The aggression dies down and he turns to face Aeroz instead.

Do they think so little of me? That I would attack with no cunning. I joined pinkskins... PINKSKINS to hunt a prey my people did not see

Before he opens his mouth to answer however, Elthan and the stranger speak up. Despite sounding familiar, the druid doesn'y understand sylvan and Kiah is forced to resort to common
    "sStranger you are...wise. The prey we hunt iss dangerouss. Tricksy and cunning. It hidess in the packmate-bodiess....
    Killing not for food or to live...
    . It has no place in thiss world. We have hunted it for many moonss now and know where it liess now."

He points back the way they had come.
    "It not kill sSheyra maybe but have such thing inside you iss..iss"
    He can't find words to express his disgust at the ordeal Shera has to go through.

He remembers the last vision he had seen showing him help from the north instead of directly showing him where sethra had been as all his visions had been about.
    How could semunya have not shown me? How could he have deceived me?
    A fresh spring of anger wells up in him as he deals witha a sense of betrayal he had not acknowleged. Although he believed the others were going north to help sheyra, he could not for the life of him imagine what they could find there that migh help sheyra i time.

"I must..I must.. go", he still maintains but the conviction has gone out of his voice. His shoulders are slumped and it is clear that Kiah and Elthan have got thru to him.
    He stares at the ground until he feels a tap at the side and sees Thokk standing there. Trinark too moves beside him. When Thokk finishes, he says only two words looking intently at the lizardman he had come to regard so fondly
    "For Sheyra" with a smile.
    He pauses then leans in closer before muttering in a low voice,
    " Rescuing Sheyra... is what matters and my heart tells me the key to Sheyra's salvation"
    He points northward,
    "is there"

The primacy of Sheyra's plight to the latter two packmates he greatly respected moved him to believe that the journey north would be followed by one swifter south.
    With a nod of gratitude to both of them and a lighter heart than he'd had since he'd heard about Sheyra he sets off running ahead of all of them to the north.

He only stops to stand at the ridge of the road to take a final look back down the road before continuing to run.

I'm coming for YOU
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

8. - Top - End - #98

Tiriel

The argument between the lizardman and, well, almost everyone else, had risen in both volume and seriousness.

What the blazes do they think they're doing! Yelling at him will only make it worse!

Tiriel is about to hand Katrin her horse's reins when Tinarak and one of the mages approace and talk to the lizardman in more reasonable tones. Tiriel still stands ready to tackle the lizardman if he does something rash, but surprisingly, he seems to calm down. She relaxs and turns back to her friend, only to be startled as the lizardman rushes past them.
    "Well there he goes. Does anyone know, was he headed north with us or south?"

She mounts her horse as she waits for an answer.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

9. - Top - End - #99

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

As his friends step in front of the Druid, relief floods through Achkby, calming the adrenaline that saturated his veins.
    They aren't following him. Thank Hlal for that. But... maybe we shoud just.. let him go.
    No. We don't get along like some others, but I don't wish him death. I don't!

Despite his best intentions, as Achkby awkwardly mounts Bess he can't help but grumble quietly, "Here we go again."

At least we're following him the right way. And he'll run into trouble before we--NO. We won't let him run into trouble. He's still a comrade, despite this foolishness.

[OOC]Simul-posted! Aargh![/OOC]

Achkby turns to Tiriel and says, more curtly than he had intended, "That's north." before riding after the rest.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah sits back down in the wagon and let's her breath out slowly. Well, I'm still here. Now just keep your head down. You've pushed yourself into their personal lives enough for one day.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark had watched the arguement and spectacle with interest but not concern. He knew his Lizardkin friend was very passionate about saving Sheyra. Even if it but the Druid's life in danger. Trinark had been ready to step in if things got worse or the Druid went charging off to the south. Fortunately he didn't have to.

Trinark remained nearby following the conversation as best he could. Occasionally, they used a word in common he didn't know but he followed most.

Trinark stepped closer to the Druid when he realized the lizardkin was relenting. Then was surprised when he bolted off at a dead run. Trinark quickly returned to his mount, and headed off after him.

12. - Top - End - #102

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa had watched the emotional exchange, but kept strangely silent. While she didn't understand everything that was said, she understood the emotions behind it. The passionate desire to go back and right a great wrong, opposed by the wisdom to see that it can't possibly be undone at this time. She knew the conflict all too well, and all too personally.

She climbs into the wagon after Kiah. "Very wise words, thank you for helping him understand," Nyssa says, pulling a warm blanket over herself.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Delphinia doesn't seem to pay any attention to the display. She absently scritches Gladi's hair between the ears to keep her quiet so they can all argue without distraction. This is none of my business. Such drama, though. Hard not to listen in.

Once the group finally gets moving, she waits until they all pass and takes up the rear.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy seems unperturbed by the lizard's display, matching it with bravado of his own. If anythying, he makes it abundantly clear through body-language that he is willing to take things as far as the druid is willing to push them.

He seems satisfied by the standoff's conclusion, casually moving back over to his horse and mounting up wordlessly. Waving for the others to move along, he begins cantering after the lizardman.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Urging the horse to follow the druid*

"Ahahaha! Thats the spirit laddie! Lets have at him!"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

The confrontation with the lizardkin was all too familiar to Nolan. It would have been five years ago by now. The time has flown by so quickly. He settles into the cart next to his sister, wondering if she was remembering that day too.

"Go?! Go where? This is OUR HOME. I can't leave this place to these abominations, Nyssa. Mother and fath–"

"Mother and father are dead," Nyssa said quietly.

"And their deaths must be avenged!" Nolan spat out. He had been denied the happy homecoming he just assumed would be his one day. Denied the family he barely remembered. Denied everything that kept him going all those years training to be the best he could in order to make his family proud. Nolan's rage was absolute. "It is my duty to destroy each and every one of those filthy–"

"YOU are the one going to be destroyed against all of those horrors" his sister countered. "Where is the honor in that, Nolan? What duty asks you to die without meaning?"

Her words stunned the young monk and yet he tried to remain steadfast, "Our parents would want me to cleanse our home..."

"Yes, but not throw your life away so stupidly. We cannot win this now." Nyssa stepped forward again, placing a hand on Nolan's arm. "I've already lost them. I can't... I can't lose you too." Her courage was so impressive when he found her fighting for her life the night before. Her resolve so strong when she insisted they slow their flight and look for survivors on the way to the outlying forest. That strength had left her now as she collapsed into his arms and started to cry. Nolan felt his own own tears stream down his face as the impact of their loss finally hit him.

"They're dead. It's just us now, Nolan. And if anything happens to you it will be just me..." Nyssa took a step back and regained her composure, brushing her hair back from her face.

"We can come back," she said. "We will come back."

We will... someday.

17. - Top - End - #107

One by one, you turn your mounts to the east, leaving Phent, its Lord and Lady, and their orcs behind you.

The group can not yet be said to have come together as friends, but there is at least a sense of shared purpose.

The road heads northeast towards Lake Mulsantir. You will have to cross the lake before heading north to Rashemen.

You encounter no other travelers on the road as you cross a fairly featureless plain. The only reference points are the distant Thesk mountains to your right and the equally distant Forest of Lethyr to your left.

As the sun is setting, you see a large wolf standing on a low rise in the distance. The wolf seems to be watching your party. Hajih's wolf stands up in the cart, its hackles raised, a low growl in its throat.

18. - Top - End - #108

Tiriel

Tiriel feels relieved to be on the road again, but soon the lack of interesting landscape bores her. She finds Yix among the group, and in an attempt to both amuse herself and raise the group's mood, she asks him,

"Hey Yix, I have a riddle for you. Can a man marry his widow's sister?

[ooc: personaly I suck at riddles. This is a fairly easy one, but we'll see how far we take it.]
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

19. - Top - End - #109

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa spends her time in the cart evenly split between learning more about Kiah and harassing her own brother. Sometimes she manages to deftly merge the two goals.

"So you ran an inn, Kiah? I bet you had all sorts of wonderful food there. My brother would object wholeheartedly." She puts on a stern face and does her best Nolan impersonation. "Such luxuries lead to slothfulness and errors in battle. One who is attempting to atain purity of spirit cannot fall to such temptations! Where's my bed of nails, I ask you! Where's my pile of coals to walk across!" She then gives Nolan a playful push, trying to break him out of his thoughts.

When the wolf is spotted, she sends Orestes into the air to scout and keep an eye on the group from above.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

After the episode at the start of the journey Kiah is quiet. She only gives a small smile and a nod to Nyssa's kind comment.

Eventually however, her dour mood cannot hold up against Nyssa's continuous good humor. She finds herself talking more and more about her family and the Inn they ran. She even talks about the death of her husband and her second born. Her children have moved on to other things and the Inn was sold. Her grandchildren, of course, are of special delight to her. In turn she asks her own questions. Where do Nyssa and Nolan come from and how they came to choose such a path. Intuitively, she feels something very strong is binding these two siblings together and will try to approach questions of their past carefully.

She notes some others looking and pointing to a distant rise, and sees the wolf standing there watching them. That's rather odd, I wonder what's making him so curious?

She looks around and does a quick count of party members, one count for humanoids, and one for animals.

(OOC: How many are we?)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

All during the argument/discussion with the druid, Lissa remains silent. Those who know the gnome can see the muscles clenched around her jaw and the occasional twitch of hand toward rapier, sure signs that Lissa is just barely keeping herself from doing something rash. In this case, probably something involving a blackjack and the lizardkin's skull. Stupid lizard, stupid treehuggers and their accursed code of honor! Why does he have this compulsion to get himself killed? She snorts softly, watching the proceedings with a cynical expression. Like I'm any better. Some priestess of the Sly One I am, fighting beside people I hardly know. Lissa fingers the crude silver medallion around her neck absentmindedly. Well, His primary goal is to protect the gnomish people by whatever means are necessary. If Sethra gets what he's after, sooner or later his undead hordes will come to High Dale... and almost none of our illusionary protections will work on undead. So I guess I'll just be sleeping with one eye open on this trip. Won't be the first time.

During the ride north, Lissa is friendly toward the newcomers but always a little distant, neatly evading any questions about her past or her family. She enjoys feeding the riding dogs and Hajih's wolf scraps of meat whenever somebody manages to shoot dinner. When she sights the strange wolf, Lissa immediately loads and ***** her crossbow. "One of you nature types want to try talking that thing out of our way?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin watches the horizon as she rides, occasionally looking across to see the progress of the setting sun. She listens to everyone else talk, even smiling when Tiriel starts her riddle game with Yix, but she doesn't offer any conversation of her own.

The wolf catches Katrin's eye, and she watches it suspiciously. "That doesn't look good..." she says. "I bet there's more wolves right over that hill. They probably want the horses or something, though I don't know why they'd come near this many people just to take down horses, even in winter..."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

23. - Top - End - #113

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa's suprisingly frank talking about her and her brother's past with Kiah.

"My family were keepers of a great cemetary -- we helped prepare the dead for burial, safeguarded generations upon generations of remains, and, most importantly, we helped the living cope with their grief. Nolan was to be the next steward, he was first-born, and sent away for training. I was an unexpected twin, though, with unexpected consequences. I ended up with the powers intended for him, but they were... strange. Wild."

"Anyhow, people might think living in a cemetary is... well, deathly boring. But I've never seen a place so full of energy. Our family embraced life, because we knew all too well it was fleeting. Aunts and uncles and cousins and... it was full of life." She smiles, fondly remembing her childhood.

"Unfortunately, the dead we'd sworn to protect rose from their graves. I barely made it away -- Nolan had somehow known what was happening, and came to save me. He was... there was no one else alive by that point." This is the only point where Nyssa slows her story, but she smiles and goes on, at peace.

"I sense you've learned the same lesson as I have. You can bottle up your grief, pretending it doesn't exist. Or perhaps you let it consume you, and your life will never be the same, never what it was before."

"Or you can accept it for what it is, and then live. Otherwise, you might as well have died that day yourself." She looks to her brother, hoping he felt the same way.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

"Well at least the dead don't have to listen to your incessant talking," Nolan quips, crossing his eyes at his sister. He twists in his seat to get a better look at what the wolf was growling at.

25. - Top - End - #115

Fizahn:

Fizahn remains uninterested throughout the lizardman conflict. Someone will talk sense into him. I couldn't do it. If he does go though, I'll come with him to make sure he doesn't die. Fizahn settles down on Hajih's cart patiently, waiting for the argument to be resolved. He smiles contentedly when they're ready to leave. He spends some time inspecting all his companions. Adventurers with me come and go like the wind. I'm on a quest to save the world. How do I know it's all in danger? Is Sethra really that powerful? Most of my companions are complete strangers. How do I know they won't betray me? I don't, but just because you think you know someone doesn't mean they won't betray you. He spends time contemplating all this until Tiriel asks her riddle. He smiles mischieviously and waits for Yix's answer.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

As usual, Lumpy keep to himself unless someone bothers to actively engage him in conversation. The big orc engrosses himself easily into the rigors of the trip, keeping a bored watch of their surroundings as they pass him by.

The sight of the wolf evokes a grin that could only be described as predatory. Casually, he unties his battered bow from his saddle, stringing it up. He hadn't bothered to try hunting for anything, but here something was coming to him. Flicking his head over his shoulder, he calls back gruffly,

"Who's hungry?"

27. - Top - End - #117

Achkby rides along in fairly stoic silence, thinking of nothing until he heard Tiriel ask Yix a riddle.
    No. Because he's dead. I know that. Any boy from Krashaul knows that. We used to spend hours telling riddles. And playing pranks. I can't remember when I had more fun than when we hid in Ol' Mazer's apple barrels. We had him running faster than he'd moved in fifty years!

He smiles.

Those days were so much... so much... what? So much fun.
    But it's not like that now. I haven't had any fun at all in... since... since I met Darius. How could I? I could end up in pieces any moment. There isn't room for messing around like that.

But look at those twins. Laughing their heads off. Going along as if they haven't a care in the world. They've gotten by.
    Well, they haven't been through what I have.

But look at Tiriel! She's had rough times. And she's telling riddles. What's wrong with that?
    Well, look at Lumpy. He shows, he proves the way to get by is... is
    seriousness. Stolidity? He pushes through. You can't just relax.

That... that
    frivolity was a waste of time.

I'm not any more productive right now.

Because I was happy, was I wasting time?

He frowns a bit.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih sighs "Let me handle the wolf, Lumpy."

He stops the cart and hops off, drawing his longsword and shortsword as he does.

He whistles and gestures for the wolf on the cart to come before heading towards the strange wolf on the hill.

Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

29. - Top - End - #119

Achkby is roused from his unhappy thoughtfulness by Haji's movement.

"Good," says Achkby, half sourly and half amused, "I think this is the first time he's done anything like a wilderness guide since he took up with us. Mind you, he said at the time he was an Underdark specialist, and, well..."
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ha laddie, I agree with yer, some nice wolf flank would be good"

*Thokk also reigns his horse around and draws his longbow and nocks an arrow into it. When the ranger steps down, Thokk lowers the bow and releases the strain*

"Hajih, why in the blazes are ye getting off? We see the wolf, we want to eat the wolf, we shall shoot at the wolf. Do yer have some compelling reason why we should not?"