New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1515
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Khazrael tells a disturbing tale of his flight just ahead of a drow/demon army sweeping through the Great Dale. Apparently after the fall of Cormanthor, at least one division of the Army of Darkness has driven east, punching through Impiltur and across the Easting Reach into the Unapproachable East.

Moving with unnatural speed beneath the surface of the earth, the Army has adopted blitzkrieg tactics, enveloping town after town, catching them by surprise one by one. They have used overwhelming force against the undefended hamlets of the Dale, for the most part preventing news of the invasion from spreading farther to the east.

Adalmar's story is much the same. Demons and drow appearing from seemingly nowhere within the Forest of Lethyr, overwhelming the unprepared rangers stationed in isolated outposts.

And now Lissa reports that Lady Valentine, a lieutenant of Sethra, is somewhere in the vicinity. It would seem that, like the Army of Darkness, Lady Valentine has been able to travel through the Upperdark, ignoring the snowy/icy conditions on the surface. Riding on nightmares, she obviously had little difficulty intercepting the party (hampered by days of delay from winter snowstorms) near Two Stars.

Hajih's fate is unknown. Did he fold under torture? If so, what would he have told Lady Valentine and her minions? The decision to take the Cold Road was made after he had been captured. Perhaps, then, the party's current location is unknown to Lady Valentine ...

Demons and drow to the west. Demons and undead to the south. This information is startling to you. For over two tendays, the party has been pressing eastward on mostly deserted roads, encountering almost no one other than the winter caravan heading eastward and the small isolated towns along the trade route. This is the first news you have heard from the coast since you left Telflamm, and the news is obviously not good.

Adalmar looks up at the enormous signpost and gets his bearings. "Kront is not far to the north of us. We can make it there before dusk. If it has not yet fallen, we can find succor there and perhaps warn them of the approaching danger."
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-02-09 at 02:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Their respective stories done, Lissa walks over to Featherhair- Khazrael, his name is Khazrael- and extends a gloved hand. "Sorry for not introducing myself earlier, I'm Lissa Quicksilver. Just call me Lissa. You're... Khazrael, am I pronouncing that right? Anyway, things are always a bit chaotic around here, but since you helped fry that troll, I don't think the others would mind if you wanted to travel with us. Any enemy of fiends is a friend of mine." She gives Khazrael a worried, yet slightly hopeful look. "Um, I don't suppose you've heard anything about High Dale, have you? My family lives there, you see... most enemies can't pierce the illusions we gnomes use to conceal our homes, but demons might be able to do so..."
    Last edited by Phasm; 2007-02-09 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Simul-ninja'd!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix scoops us his loose armor and brings it over to the wagon, chuckling to himself as Khazrael worries about his appearance, finding it a silly thing to worry about after a battle. He looks around the group letting out a sigh of relief that everyone made it. Still shaking slightly from the intensity of the fight he flies his way up to perch on Achkby's pony, getting himself comfortable for the journey ahead.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tiriel

"Let's head towards Kront. Adalmar, would you let me know when we're within sight of the town? We might want to send a scout to check the town before entering."

Tiriel mounts her horse and rides toward the head of the party. For the first time since Si'rene's death she finds herself feeling confident again.

We're slowly learning to function as a group...
    We're going to need to learn to communicate better though, she thinks remembering how long it had taken everyone to coordinate for the attack on the troll. Lumpy might have been right - we need someone to take charge, at least during battles.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-02-09 at 07:42 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

5. - Top - End - #1175

Lizardkin Druid

The druid strips the ruined winter clothing and examines it. He starts chanting a song softly and running his hands over the cloth.

Mending

He sits on the wagon as it starts moving and stares into the distance lost in thought.

The human settlemants were safe havens to rest in these dangerous lands. Once rested they could either hunt or await the arrival of the vampires. He'd never hunted blood-drinkers. He resolves to ask more about them from Elthan.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

6. - Top - End - #1176

Adalmar

He accepts Tiriel's gift with a grateful nod, but dares not correct the "Adlamr". He is keenly aware of his ambivalence toward her : she has been in turn helpful and haughty, she's attractive but he cannot help feeling diminished by her sheer physical strength... That she can wield that bow...

Tch ! Too much talking, too much thinking... let's walk.

"Could someone introduce me to the remaining people here ?", he asks.

He scoops a little dirt from the ground, closes his fist and lets it flow out slowly, all the while murmuring words of power.

He shows that he is ready, no, eager to go.

[OOC: Longstrider ]
    Last edited by namo; 2007-02-09 at 07:53 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

7. - Top - End - #1177

Khazrael

He shakes Lissa's tiny hand with a slight bow and smiles a little sadly.

"Khazrael (Cause-rye-elle) is right. I don't think I can answer your question though. I was tripping around the Great Dale, and to be honest, world events weren't number one on my list."

The drow, aided by demons, will leave nothing undiscovered, and nothing alive. If they went anywhere near the gnomish settlement, nobody will have made it.

"I'm sure they're fine though."

I'm tired of running, I want to DO something about all of this. I wonder if the next town will be big enough to mount some sort of defense. If not, maybe we can evacuate it.
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-02-09 at 07:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

The necromancer breathed a sigh of relief once the troll was finally burnt to a crisp. If it had gotten back up again...then they all truly would have been in trouble. Of course he was curious as to why Ackby had stood there and stared, maybe seeing Lissa again had shocked him into immobility. But that wasn't exactly his most pressing concern at the moment. What was his concern was that he had consumed most of the arcane energies he could use in a day, and with night coming on perhaps they might be paid a visit by Lady Valentine. A sort of shiver ran up his spine then, but it was at least explainable. He had never actually seen a vampire in action. Then again he might not want too either.

Looking winded, the older human went back to the wagon. Pausing only briefly to let his eyes linger on the newcomers, Tiriel, and Lissa before climbing aboard.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #1179

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Quietly, Achkby returns to Bess, picking up his dropped spear as he goes. He brushes off the snow, sets the polearm in its place, and does his best to calm Bess, but with little success. After a moment he awkwardly climbs on her back, and is pleased to find Yix, whom Achkby had overlooked. It's reassuring to have at least one companion who enjoys his company. At least enough to share a pony.

Achkby reaches out a hand to pat Yix, but stops, thinking he might aggravate the brave little pseudodragon's wounds.
    "Do you need a potion?" he asks quietly.

If Yix answer affirmatively, Achkby hands him a vial of Cure Light Wounds from a pouch at his waist.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

Thokk, after making sure the body was a fetid mess and securing the precious monocle, wanders over to the new comers. The stocky dwarf eyes them up and down, and simply states:

"Ach, good show lads. The name be Thokk."

11. - Top - End - #1181

The introductions continue as you travel north towards Kront. It took some time to retrieve the spooked horses and pack animals and to finish cremating the troll. There are a couple of light horses free for Adalmar and Khazrael to borrow for now so that they don't slow you down. Lissa's riding dog is of course lost, its fate unknown. She takes a seat next to Fizahn in the cart.

You race northward, hoping to beat the sunset to Kront.

When you near the town, the party halts while Adalmar rides ahead to scout out the situation. After a half an hour, he returns with a frown on his face.

The town appears to be deserted. Either the townsfolk are in hiding, or gone. There is only another hour or so before nightfall.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix felt like he could manage his wounds, but when Achkby asked him, he realized just how much he actually did hurt. He takes the potion and thanks Achkby for his kindness. "I am glad you were here with us." Yix tells the halfling. He then stretches himself out as he feels the liquid soothe a few of his wounds.

((
    1d8+1=2
    Awww man the dice were not with me...thanks though Hemp))
    Last edited by Spaz; 2007-02-10 at 06:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1183

1d8+1 is all, sorry.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Thank you."

That one line means so much to me, it's sort of disturbing...
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur sits apart froom the group, his silence not unusual, his solitary stance to be expected. The colours of the oncoming sunset glint off his armor in rainbow patterns, but his expresion is far less chearfull. Helmet under arm he surveys the town from a distance, listening intently if not obviously, to Adalmar's report.

"If the people are hiding then they can not defend themselves. If they have fled there is no point in defence. If they are dead there is nothing to defend. We should avid the town all together. Agents of Sethra may still be there or be watching it."
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

15. - Top - End - #1185

Elthan

Elthan spends the short ride either explaining vampires to the Lizardman, or trying to organize his thoughts.

"Actually," says Elthan after a bout of silence, "Depending on what we're more afraid of, staying in the city might be a good idea. If we are afraid of demons and any trap they may have set, then passing it by would be the best course of actions. If we are more afraid of Valentine herself assaulting our group, then the city would be best."

"Allow me to explain. If the city is empty, with all of the inhabitants either fleeing or dead, then whatever is left is proper salvage for the less ethical to take. Under such conditions, we can easily take a fortified home and claim it ours. Vampires, while able to go about in public places, are unable enter a residence or other private place without formal permission from the owner. With us as the owners of our nightly residence, Valentine and any other accomplice of hers will be properly stalled. All that would remain would be to fortify against any demons, which we would surely encounter if we rested outside."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

On the ride, Thokk stays close to Lissa, making sure the Gnomette was safe and secure

"Ach, that makes sense lad. And if they be demons, Ill enjoy rending them apart. Besides, if we enter the city, might be able to scrape together some more supplies"

17. - Top - End - #1187

Lizardkin Druid

Ssathiya leaps off the cart as news about the town is brought to them. He gives an unconscious look at Fizahn before moving forward to speak.

A truly strange day..with much memories.. this was how it was when we first met. My pack and I.
    The Day we passed the village of the 'hydra' was the same.

"People or animals not leave nest without.. reason"

"Not Safe.. unless ..we know why"

In his excitement he rumbles out his words swiftly switching to draconic when he encounters verbal stumbling block.

The gist of his words are simple enough. Dwellings are not deserted without good cause. Caution was advised should this be a trap or the aftermath of something bad. The road north from Teflamn was humbling experience for the druid given the number of near-fatal disasters.

There was no lizardman equivalent of the word pessimistic. The closest was well-prepared. Fizahn would have found this darkly humourous if the lizardman ever became intelligent enough to note it and point it out.
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-02-11 at 04:44 AM.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

18. - Top - End - #1188

Khazrael

"If I were alone," he says, having listened to the others' suggestions, "I'd just post up in one of these buildings unseen. But there is no way we haven't been spotted, if anyone's there to look. How about we fortify a larger building, maybe a townhouse or something with two stories, and get ready to defend it from the second floor? And how much of this vampire crap is folklore? Think about it, how many 'hangover cures' have you heard in your life? Just because vampires are real doesn't mean every story about them is."

"We need a quick barricade, we need fire, we need food, and we need a place big enough to fit the animals. I say the cart's big enough to block off a main entrance if we turn it over. People can board up first floor windows and the animals can stay on that floor while we hole up in the second."

His casual smile has left him, and a hardened look casts a shadow over his face. These ideas come too quickly, too readily--he's clearly dug in, determined to survive.

As an aside, to the lizardman, he continues, speaking fluid, eloquent draconic, a dialect the creature has trouble following, but is instantly familiar with.

"I don't know how much of that plan you caught, but if you know this land or anything about it, perhaps you could check for signs of where everyone may have gone? I hate to impose, but you seem like an observant fellow."
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-02-11 at 02:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1189

Lizardkin Druid

The druid listens to the newcomer magic-user without bias. The advice from Trinark was not going unheeded.

He found the suggestion from Feathers-in-hair to be of some merit. What puzzled him was he spoke draconic in the high eloquent style that Trinark spoke it instead of the more stiff dialect his surface companions spoke. He glances at Trinark to see if he catches it. However it quickly slips from his mind as he formulates the words he needs.

He mumbles out, "I know little of this land. And he is the better tracker",
    pointing to Lumpy.

He looks annoyed as he says this but it seems to be frustration at himself more than at Khazrael.

He seems to come to a decision and looks at everyone he voices out
    "I badly hurt. Help heal me and i go scout"
    with a more confident timbre.
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-02-11 at 05:03 AM.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, methinks that not be the best idea Scaley. Yer gave us a fright dissapearin' once before, yer a tad banged up, and it is cold as balls right now. If I can get some healin' Ill venture out, maybe with the little lad"

"Ready to show the talkfolk how to move?"
    Last edited by sacreddeamon; 2007-02-11 at 09:44 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Adalmar

He had ridden in silence, focused on Kront, his goal, and barely keeping his impatience in check.
    Before he even reached the outskirts of the town, he knew something was wrong : no shouts, no bustling. He went up and down a few streets, called out repeatedly, to no avail.
    He rode back quickly, worrying all the while about the fate of the townspeople. There had been no signs of fighting, so he had hope some messenger had arrived there in time. The other possibility, a mass abduction, was too horrible to even consider.
    He spotted broken doors here and there that could only be the result of struggle. Anguish seized him - he wanted to investigate the fate of the people he knew here, but his rescuers were waiting for him... He chose to head back, tension knotting his stomach.

He kept quiet while others were discussing the next step. He would have had some valuable input, but found himself reluctant to share with this strange group. He had yet to identify the person (or persons) in charge. Maybe the old sorcerer in the cart, who had been shouting instructions at the top of his lungs during the battle ?
    And they were proposing they break into one the homes of his birthplace after all. Foreigners, and their strange tongues...

Yet, Khazrael's idea made sense. The odd lizard's, though... He's limping and he wants to scout ?! Madness...

"From what little I understood of your recent problems, it seems you should realize that going out at night in a small group is a bad idea."
    He lets that sink in for a second.
    "Knowing that, if you insist on going, I feel it's my duty to accompany you - I know this town well."
    He has enough modesty - or is it shyness ? - to avoid mentioning his tracking skills.
    Last edited by namo; 2007-02-11 at 08:39 PM. Reason: changed to include the traces of fight !!
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

22. - Top - End - #1192

Tiriel

Tiriel hands the druid a potion, abashed that she hadn't realized that he was still badly injured.
    "We need shelter, regardless of it's form, and the town is the only thing available to us now. We could all use a good night's rest, a roof, and a fire. Hopefully we'll be able to find more clues as to what happened to the villagers in the morning.
    We're also not going to split up again - I'm sure everyone remembers that we were attacked by demons and,
    " she nods to Lissa and grits her teeth, "vampires the last time we did that."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin winces when she hears the city is empty. "They could have fled, or they could have been attacked by the Army. I'm inclined to think it's the second. I'm also inclined to camp in the city--a building would be much easier to defend than an outdoor camp, especially if we can find a building made of stone."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa shifts uncomfortably at Tiriel's pointed reminder of her own stupidity. "A common residence may not stop vampires, but consecrated ground will. It'll weaken them, at least. Lets see if there's a temple in this town. I don't think the local gods will mind our staying in their house, considering what's after us, as long as we clean up after ourselves." She hops down from the cart, stretching stiff muscles. "I'm not injured, and I can move quietly. I'll scout for a temple- but not alone! Fizahn, Aeroz, either of you want to come along?" Lissa gives Adalmar an appraising look. "Adalmar, you look like you know how to be stealthy. Want to come?" Bending down, the gnome removes a small dagger from her boot. It isn't much of a weapon, but it's better than nothing. "Hmm, it would be nice to have a means of communication... Yix, how far does your mind-speaking ability reach?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

25. - Top - End - #1195

Khazrael

"A temple is--I mean, they're going to be expecting that, if there's even anyone out there. And anyway, what if it's drow or trolls again, and not vampires?"

He suddenly looks nervous, his ice-blue eyes darting back and forth uncomfortably.

"Why not get something closer, easier to hold, and less obvious? We don't have a lot of time to argue it. Hells, there may not even be any threat...right?"

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"And why are you set on disregarding the protection a holy place will offer us against anything that might come after us? A temple is the safest place and if its a trap then its a risk we'll have to take." Callos said rather coldly from his place in the wagon. Hunched down and with his cloak wrapped tightly around him. Maybe it was just paranioa from when they had been in the Underdark and had Sethra infiltrating them but he couldn't trust this odd man with feathers in his hair or the other. Not yet at least. Maybe in the morning when he could get his own answers.

Most surprising was how he dismissed the information Elthan provided on vampires. Giving him an incredulous look before shaking his head. "Its not folklore. Vampires are halted by the strong smell of garlic, a strongly presented holy symbol, running water which is why I suggested the river, concreated ground, and they must ask permission before entering into another person's home. On death their forced back into hiding in their coffins were they must rest for time and are vulnerable. Sunlight first cripples then destroys them. Their voices can dominate a person's mind and they can call creatures from the night to serve them. Not to mention turning into mists and creatures themselves. A stake will merely put the creature into hibernation, they'll reform once its removed unless the body is destroyed. Immersing them in water is almost as effective as sunlight against them. Magic and silver can penetrate their unholy hides not to mention they heal at an astonishing rate for a creature filled with negative energy." He said all of this matter-of-factly and before
    Khazrael could object to the words, he spoke again. Saying rather dryly. "Trust me. Any necromancer worth his salt knows the undead and I am worth my salt." Of course he was rather...bored. Why not erase all of this person's doubt? With a shrug the tired looking necromancer launched into a veritable lecture about vampires and the known history and "folklore" about them. It would probably go on for quite a while too.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

27. - Top - End - #1197

Aeroz

"Well then, salty, pray tell what would be the best course of action? The most obvious plans seem to have a large element of risk attached to them. Go to town and fend off demons, or not and fend off vampires. Either way, soon the sun will set and we will be prone to attack, so perhaps we should maybe come to a decision right here and now before we end up dealing with both, demons and vampires."
    Last edited by Frojoe21; 2007-02-11 at 04:24 PM.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

28. - Top - End - #1198

Lizardkin Druid

The lizardman feels a tap on his arm. Turning he finds Flamesword standing there holding a potion out to him. He takes it with a look of gratitude and gulps it down quickly.

Feeling the warmth spread quickly and then dying off, he looks at himself, the limp had improved but he still wasn't in a condition to get into serious combat.

He stamps impatiently as the others debate but pays complete attention to the Spiderman's (Callos) lore of the blood-drinkers. The old prejudices were not without merit. Arcane magic-users did know a lot about forbidden matter and were even the cause of some of them. This time he was glad that he had so many arcane magic-users on his side. Their knowledge could be used against the corruption that stalked them.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

"The solution is easy enough. Despite any misgivings we might have about it, the town is still the safest place for us to stay. Sturdy stone and wooden buildings to protect us, the possibilty of a holy temple, and just general protection from the elements all are pros that make the town worth it. And remember, concescrated ground is just as unhealthy to demons as it is to the undead. Between fighting vampires and demons or drow and trolls, I'll take the drow and trolls anyday."

30. - Top - End - #1200

Khazrael

He runs a hand through his hair, exasperated.

"The instant we start relying on any of those weaknesses is the instant that they overcome them--then our reliance becomes a liability. I get it, we need to defend ourselves here, but let's start with what will work against any foe: vampire, demon, or otherwise, and go from there."

He mulls over the suggestions for a moment.

"Why not pick something nearby, that way we don't spend all of our dwindling daylight searching for a building which might not be defensible at all? Hells, if we hurry, we could even get some supplies before we hole up for the night. I'm no warrior, but I'd feel much more comfortable with some sort of weapon."