New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1515
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Elthan

Elthan plucks up the spear holding the door and tosses it aside. They can't be attacking now, can they? I thought we had more time... This will all have to wait, or otherwise be gotten to by different means.

As he opens the storeroom door, he steps back and prepares to blind the first hostile creature he sees.

OOC:
    Initiative - (1d20)[14]
    Cast Blindness; DC 17 Fortitude save negates
    if neccesary; Caster level check to overcome spell resistance
    Check - (1d20+7)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Barbarian in the Playground

Adalmar

[OOC: Adalmar had climbed up the stairs already - see last post
    Spot - (1d20+13)[16] ]

Worry gripping him, he runs towards the source of the noise, drawing his sword and scanning around him for other potential bad surprises. He whistles a call for Kir to come on his shoulder.
    Last edited by namo; 2007-02-15 at 08:19 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

3. - Top - End - #1263

Lissa kneels on the floor beside the storeroom door, scrabbling at her neck, biting her lower lip in agony.

The first to arrive by her side pull aside her collar. A glowing rune is visible on the back of Lissa's neck. The rune pulses, then fades away.

Lissa gasps with relief as the pain fades.

4. - Top - End - #1264

Adalmar

He lets her friends tend to the gnomette - he likes her, but they've barely met after all. Not seeing anything that could have caused her scream, he asks : "What happened here ?" Though he willed his voice to be gentle, it still comes out somewhat rough.

I hope her prank hasn't ended too badly.
    Last edited by namo; 2007-02-15 at 10:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix tried racing up the stairs with the others, but his short legs could not keep up. He slows his pace to a steady one as he falls farther and farther behind. Reallizing he won't make it in time he calls out to the first person he can think of Adalmar "What's going on? What's happened?"

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Gasping and rubbing her neck, Lissa glares at the door. Her breathing sounds harsh and strained. "Don't... know... hurt... choked..." she manages to rasp out. "Evendur... and Elthan... in there... followed..." Wincing, Lissa pulls a waterskin out of her pack and takes a swig. "Pain when... I touched... the door." What in the name of Baravar just happened?! Why the hells would they trap the door? I didn't see a trap, but then I wasn't looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

"What in the Nine Hells is going on in here? Can't I stop for ten minutes to lay a magical trap without someone screaming in panic?" A very irate Callos said as he stormed back into the building upon hearing a faint scream outside. With the door and all of the space in between the two, he wasn't entirely sure just who had screamed but he was going to be sure to find out who and why they were doing it. But when he drew closer, close enough to see Lissa clutching her own throat and glaring at the door.

Evendur and Elthan? Wait a minute...

A flash of fear ran through the normally stoic necromancer and he paused.

"What happened? Why is she choking?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #1268

Elthan

If it wasn't an attack, then there is only the remaining option.

Elthan sets his spear down and kneels besides Lissa. "Oh my, you are okay now, aren't you?" he says concerned, "I suppose I should have given a warning before hand; I cannot have any interruptions. This is the sort of thing I was afraid to happen but at least you came before the beginning of the incantation and the damage is minimal, or so I should hope."

Elthan stands up and addresses the group gathering towards the scream. "There should be nothing to worry about, it was only a rebound of magical energy. I would advise everyone stay as far as possible from this room to avoid further accidents. I apologize for my negligence to inform you before hand."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

The glare turns toward Elthan now. It's pretty clear that if it weren't for the condition of her throat, Lissa would be letting loose with her formidable repertoire of swearwords and insults. "Bad as... Callos!... Stupid... magic... traps!"

This was uncharacteristically negligent of you, Mister Moonshadow. If you knew something like this could happen, why DIDN'T you warn everyone to stay away? Lissa rubs her throat irritably. If you didn't want to be interrupted, why didn't you just say so? Unless you've got your hand in the black magic jar... but Evendur would never willingly go along with something like that. She frowns. Willingly, there's the key word. Argh, I hate having to watch my friends like this! Sethra just loves the body-snatching game though. He might be staying in Telflamm, but I know there's other undead that can pull that trick. If he can get vampires to work for him, he can probably get an evil ghost or two. Bastard's probably watching this on his crystal ball and laughing it up.

If I don't keep watching everyone, I'll end up like Sedryn.

10. - Top - End - #1270

Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian has his arms crossed and expression of extreme annoyance on his face. It looks like he's about to bite off somebody's face considering how mad he looks.

His neckskin bulging vigorously and his spines raised, he wordless scoops up Lissa and carries the surprised gnome down the stairs.

Are the warmbloods trying to kill each other before the walking dead get here?

In his fuming, he doesn't see the cross expression on Lissa's face either.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

11. - Top - End - #1271

Khazrael

Khazrael's footfalls join several others' as he charges up the stairs. Seeing Lissa, he pushes past them. He kneels to square his gaze with hers, a terrible fury burning just beyond those brilliant eyes, and as the glowing rune fades, he sighs.

(( spellcraft check to identify the rune: (1d20=5+4=9)))

"I've been down in enough dark places to have an idea of what happened--but nevermind all that; you okay?"

The thin man gives gives Elthan no more than a passing glance as the door opens, his eyes quickly return to their former position, locked with the gnome's, almost as if trying to follow her train of thought.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

"Elthan, did you do that?"

Evendur's voice is sturn as he towers above Elthan.

"I have yet to agree to anything and you are acting overly secrative. I would know what you are planing tocaast on me, and I would know infront of everyone here."

Evendur's eyebrows lower, furrowing his brow. He is truly not happy about the current state of afairs.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

13. - Top - End - #1273

Fizahn:

Fizahn mostly stays out of people's ways. He spends time wandering around the first floor trying to find a basement. There's going to be an undead army and they're going to have made a secret entrance into this house because they knew we'd pick this one. He comes running as he hears Lissa's scream. He eyes Elthan suspiciously as he dismisses it as 'a rebound of magical energy and the damage is minimal.'

"Oh yes. Excellent. Let's have minimal damage to everyone. It will be much worse later, so I won't tell people what I'm doing in case someone opens this door looking for me. Then, when they die, I can blame their ignorance. Perfect.
    I hope you wouldn't mind explaining exactly what is going on and clearly marking any areas we aren't supposed to go." Although the first part is heavily sarcastic, the second part has a hint of a threat in his voice. Elthan also notices that Fizahn's 'short sword' is in his hand.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

14. - Top - End - #1274

Tiriel

Tiriel stands silently with her sword in hand watching the building argument. She glances quickly at Callos and then focuses on Elthan.
    I don't like this. Since I've met him, nothings upset him this much... well except me maybe...

[PM'd action sent to Dr.Bob]
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

15. - Top - End - #1275

Lissa and Evendur glare at Elthan suspiciously until the lizardman scoops up the gnome in his arms protectively. Elthan's words seem to imply that he had something to do with the burning rune that appeared on Lissa's neck, but his expression suggests that he is a little bit confused about what is happening exactly.

The lizardman ignores Lissa's protests and wriggling, acting instinctively to remove the "little one" from potential danger. On the way to the stairs, however, Lissa cries out again. Once again the glowing rune appears on the back of Lissa's neck, pulsating briefly before fading.

Khazrael pushes his way over to her. Brushing away her hair, he stares at the rune intently. As it fades, he shakes his head. "I'm not sure, but the rune appears to be an ancient pictograph. I think it means it is here or I am here ..."
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-02-17 at 05:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1276

Tiriel

"It's an evil mark no matter what it means." Tiriel says with a low growl tightening her grip on her sword. "I at least know that much."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

"
    I am here? What on earth does that..." Callos's eyes went wide with surprise, anger, and a bit of fear before turning and starting to run towards the front of the building. "EVERYONE GET TO YOUR POSITIONS! Yix! Check out the window and try not to be seen!"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

18. - Top - End - #1278

Khazrael

Stepping away from the gnome Khazrael gives a gracious nod to Raskoruran, actually startled by the nurturing instinct that the creature shows. Callos's shouting snaps him out of his reverie and he looks over his shoulder to hear the necromancer's shouted command. Before his brain can truly mull over his recent annoyance with the man, he begins to mumble a string of syllables in some unknowable language, his body is apparently wracked with inner conflict--his shoulders shrug in, his knees bow out, and his slight form shudders violently. After only a few dreadful seconds, the spell is complete, and all is calm. He breathes a long, airy sigh and turns to the stairs.

"Alright, I'm going to have a look around downstairs. Shout if you see anything."

He quickly moves to the stairs, but rather than descending them, he drops to all fours and crawls from the floor of the second story to the ceiling of the first, his oddly (though not impossibly) bent limbs making him look for all the world like some sort of lizard, or perhaps an insect, moving through the flickering shadows.

((OOC: Casting Spider Climb on myself and exploring every part of the first floor from a "Safe" vantage point. I'll be listening for any disturbances or for the party to say anything, and while either way I'll be using spider climb, I will stay upstairs or check out any specific area I'm asked or told to))

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Oh, lovely. I touched Elthan's door, and now I've got an evil rune saying 'I am here' on my neck? Elthan definitely needs to do some explaining. Later. Nimbly wriggling out of Raskoruran's arms, Lissa smiles up at the druid apologetically and draws her crossbow, making sure to keep it pointed at the ground. "Don't need voice to shoot," she croaks. With that, she hurries over to the nearest window and peers out cautiously.

20. - Top - End - #1280

Adalmar

He stands there, dumbfounded, while the members of the party start snapping at the half-elf. At least, being puzzled keeps him calm. "Who is here ? The vampire ?"

A very mysterious power...

He realizes he knows nothing of what threatens them - which makes it hard to prepare adequately. Edging away from the commotion, he hides in the shadows and continuously scans the inside of the building.

[OOC: Hide (1d20+15)[28]
    Spot (1d20+13)[16] ]

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix hurries to the nearest window, and uses what little flight he can with his armor on the get up to the sill. He peers out the window hoping to see absolutely nothing, but he looks for it all the same.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur pushes past Elthan, his gleaming armor coming into existance arround him as he moves. His sword is in his hand almost instantaniously as he goes to search the lower floor, checking each entrance from a more grounded point of view.

"We shall discuss this later," he growls back at Elthan as he goes.
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2007-02-16 at 04:18 PM.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

23. - Top - End - #1283

Elthan

"Secretive? No, just a bit hasty." He says. He takes a brief look down in embarrassment, "Well, very hasty. Again, I apologize. Now Fizahn," he says, directing a harsh look back at the gnome, "As much as well all may appreciate your undying sarcasm, it is neither appropriate or desired. I would ask that you be a bit more constructive in any future criticism." I swear, if I did not have as much sense as I do...

"Still, you all deserve an explanation. For the past few weeks, I've been working on the theory for an incantation utilizing the knowledge of circle magic Linda departed to me and my own sorcerous powers. If all goes according to plan, Evandur will become second to none in dispatching our opposition. How it works is difficult to explain, requiring a bit of study in itself, but I think I can sum it up. Circles in this field represent a balance; Darkness is balanced by Light, Fire by Water, Sarcasm," he gives another sharp glance at Fizahn, "By Seriousness. By inflicting him with some of my spare strength draining spells, the circle will balance it out by increasing his strength. He steps out of the circle, I dismiss my spells, and he is left much more powerful that before. In another example, Lissa probably held her breath just before reaching out for the door, and so when touching it was relieved of what she had inhaled."

He continues on, oblivious to Callos' warning. "As for safety, it would suffice to stay a good distance from the door specifically and the adjacent walls as well. Though the door is the main, and only, 'portal' in the room most of the magical energies will stop there, but I cannot make a guarantee that it will be the only place they will collect. Think of it like a small cabin with a large fire; You'll feel warmer outside by the door, but may still receive some heat if you keep your back to the wall long enough. The principle applies here."

Elthan turns to Evandur and stops him. "I cannot inspire much confidence in the spell, but I believe that you are the best choice for this, and that the best time for this is now. So, asking openly, will you help me?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

24. - Top - End - #1284

Tiriel

Tiriel looks at Elthan and says,"That's all fine and good, but how do you explain the rune that appeared on Lissa's neck?"
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy didn't rush up the stairs at the sound of the screams. In fact, he didn't move at all, from where he rested against the bannister of one of the staircases whittling at a piece of wood. He'd smashed one of the tables they'd shoved into the barricade up with his flail and selected as many decent looking splinters as he could find. With a little bit of woodwork, he made a handful of passable stakes.

He didn't know much about vampires, but stakes were apparently useful. Better to have them and not need them than be without. He keeps his eyes on the door as the others bolt upstairs, but slowly backs his way up after them to make sure everything is okay. By the time he gets within earshot, he's missed the bulk of the conversation, but he hears enough to offer a quip in response to Tiriel.

"Must be the oldest trick in the book. Torture someone fer a bit, then let them 'escape'. All ya gotta do is follow them back ta wherever ya want them ta lead ya. I done it myself before. All they did was use magic instead'a legwork." He shoves the last of his stakes into his belt before turning to head back down to his place on the stairs, "It was almost a no-risk venture. If she finds us, they find us. If she don't, what harm is she alone?"

((OOC

DR, Lumpy will improvise as many stakes as he can get out of a table in the amount of time that's passed if that's alright.

))
    Last edited by bhdrake; 2007-02-16 at 05:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1286

Elthan

Elthan takes a quick look back at Tiriel. "I do not have any idea why or how a rune came to be on Lissa's neck."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

27. - Top - End - #1287

Tiriel

Tiriel frowns, as she considers the implications of what Elthan and Lumpy have said. "So it's likely that Valentine put the rune on Lissa's neck to track her - and find us. Then it must have reacted to Elthan's magic when she got close to the door... I think we'd better prepare for company soon."
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-02-16 at 05:44 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Orc in the Playground

Evendur

Evendur looks uneasily from Elthan to Lisa toTiriel to Lumpy and back to Elthan.

"So we don't have much time? But then why warn us?"

He shakes his head...

There is no time.

...questions bubbling up in his mind, flashing past and through...

You are sure that this will work Elthan? How long will it take? How long will it last? What if the atack does not come for several hours and this mark is just an atempt to make us waste out defensive magic? What if the attack comes
    while we are casting? What if..? What if..?

...and Evendur looks at Lisa's fading mark again.

There is no time.

Evendur's gaze pierces Elthan.

"Do it."

He strides into the circle and stands head bowed, eyes closed, awaiting Elthan's Magic.
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2007-02-17 at 05:47 PM.

Kurt

29. - Top - End - #1289

Adalmar

In the shadows, Adalmar listens. That orc, he's a smart one.

Marking humans like animals.
    He shivers.
    Last edited by namo; 2007-02-16 at 06:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1290

Tiriel

Tiriel reaches out to stop Evendur from heading back into the room but lets her hand fall at his last words. She goes and retrieves her dropped equipment (bow, quivers) before returning. She keeps her distance, but stays within eyesight of the room Evendur has stepped into.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel