New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Trinark

Trinark remains largely silent during the day's travels. He listens idly to the conversations around him, taking particular interest in the chat between the ladies.

When the group encountered the wolf in the distance, Trinark was startled a little when Callos cast the spell and assaulted the wolf. Frowning, he kept a close eye on the "Mage" for the remainder of the day.

As they pause to consider camping for the night, Trinark slips over to Tiriel and mutters "We better keep a close eye on Callos he doesn't look well and that stunt this afternoon doesn't bode well."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix begins walking around and picking up as many tiny twigs as he can, he makes a fairly decent pile, at least according to his standards. He sits on top of it waiting for the others to finish their preparations for making camp.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

After the encounter with the wolf and the resulting fallout, Kiah settles back in the wagon. She sits with a thoughtful look on her face, occationally glacing at various members of the party. After a while Kiah realizes that she did not finish her conversation with Nyssa. Oh poor girl... to lose your family like that, and so young. No wonder her and her brother are so bound together. A wave a compassion sweeps through her, and she wished she could do something to make their burden easier.

"Nyssa,... thank you for sharing your story with me. For thinks like that words just ain't enough. But they do help sometimes. My heart goes out to you..., to you and your brother and your family... and to the happiness that is gone."

She is silent for a moment.

"For what it's worth, I think you got the right of it. Life is for living, not for being bottled up in your own grief. I think it's good that you can talk about it." she glances at Nolan. "Everyone has to live through it in they own way, but bottling it up or blaming yourself don't help any one."

For the rest of the day she is silent and thoughtful. Even Nyssa cheerfulness can't draw her out. "I'm sorry my dear, I'm just not in the mood for talking right now. Got some things to think about."

Later that evening, as camp setup, she seeks out Fizahn and has a few private words with him. (OOC: PM sent)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Nolan clears his throat and quietly addresses the group, "Uh... I don't really need much sleep. So if there is a need for someone to take an extra turn at watch, I can do it." He doesn't wait for an answer but instead helps Nyssa get situated for the night, leaving the offer out there for consideration.

[Nolan has a ring of sustenance.]

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa thanks Kiah for her sympathy, and then politely leaves her to her thoughts for the rest of the day's ride. Instead, she spends her time looking out at the landscape as it slowly rolls by.

Once they camp, Nyssa attempts to be as helpful as possible, but it's obvious camping outdoors is something her brother knows more about. "I could gather branches if it would be helpful. You gather branches in camping, do you not?" She pulls over overcloak of furs around herself tighter, looking around. "I don't think I've ever been this far north. It's cold here."

When she hears the wolf howl, Nyssa looks around, "Are they dangerous? We're a large group, would a wolf try and make prey of us?"

6. - Top - End - #156

Aeroz

"Well, if we are gonna be setting up camp, are we going to be eating months old pemmican or is someone going to actually cook something for a change?" Aeroz says as he looks in Callos' direction and smirks.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Delphinia glowers for a little bit, then slowly brightens back up, like a wilted plant sucking a fresh rain from the ground. She remains silent and attends to her job as a rearguard. Just because some of these people were idiots didn't mean they deserved to be snuck up on by something that could eat them.

When they stop to make camp, she shifts out of guardian mode and dismounts. Removing their gear from Gladi's back, she lets the dog stretch and sniff everything. She keeps an eye on her to call her back if she strays too far, but otherwise lets her move freely.

While mucking about with their stuff, she stays quiet, watching the others chat and joke with each other. I should try and talk to someone. That kid, what the heck is his name? Something-flub? Bee? Ah, I don't remember. I wanted to ask him about his clan, but he's kind of funny-weird. And I don't know him at all. I sure have something in common with the druid, but not a whole lot. He's kind of alien. Them twins, they're new to this group too, but I just don't think we've got anything else in common. And I hate looking up at folks I don't have anything in common with. Wizard, out. Lumpy, out. Pseudodragon, I don't think so.

She watches each person as she thinks of them, using the visual to help her decide. Then she sees Kiah walking off to chat up Fizahn. Well, the gnome's a right ass, but that Kiah, she's kinda like a druid. And she's about my age. And she's new to the group, and a woman, too. Stopping what she's doing, she watches them talking off to the side. And she's busy. I guess it can wait. It'll give me time to think about how to open a conversation.

8. - Top - End - #158

Tiriel

Tiriel unsaddles and hobbles her horse before attaching a grainbag to it's halter.*
    Leaning on a nearby tree, she watces the rest of the group prepare for the night. It's obvious that Callos's rash action agaist the wolf has made many uneasy, but Tiriel also feels like she may have crossed an unspoken line earlier when she confronted him.

Someone had to yell at him about that. It's not his intention I had a problem with, but the motive. We killed the hydra because it was dangerous - to us and the nearby settlement. The wolf though, while it was unusual, wasn't a danger. And now, here we are, camping in it's territory...

Tiriel ends here gloomy reflections as Trinark walks up. She nods in agreement with the cleric.
    [color=purple=]"What do you know about that one's background anyhow?[/color] She asks, indicating Callos.

"The lizardman knows him, and obviously wasn't pleased with him anymore than I was. But I really don't know much about, well almost everyone. We've been travling for months now and I don't even know his name or even why the two of you are involved in all this anyhow.

*ooc: I'm assuming that we brought grain for the horses since it's winter and all.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

9. - Top - End - #159

Fizahn:

Fizahn begins to set up camp with the rest of the group. He vocalizes his opinion that they should remain on the road through the night. He feels that sleeping while there is an angry wolf pack somewhere out there is a mistake. He also tries to appeal to Callos's sense of urgency about the mission. He greets Kiah and begins talking privately with here. Towards the end of the conversation, it is apparent that something she said disturbed him.

OOC: PM sent.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy seems content to let matters drop as the confrontation dwindles off, the burly orc settling back into silence as if nothing had happened, When the others decide to settle down for the night, he offers little complaint or comment, shifting businesslike into the task of preparing himself for the evening. He's finished undressing and tending to his horse by the time he opens his mouth in speech again,

"Two hour watches, least two folks on each one. Mages or anyone else what needs their full night'a sleep get it. I'll take one'a the first watches, and I want someone with decent night sight on every other one." He glances around, Well, looks like it's me, the dwarf, the drow, and the lizard. "cept they need their meditation or whatever., before scowling. "I'll take the last one too if I gotta. work the rest out fer yerselves."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Nodding as Lumpy makes his request, Delphinia pipes up when he stops. "I can sit a watch, no problem. A middle one is fine."

12. - Top - End - #162

Lizardkin Druid

Ssathiya had maintained a distance from the rest of the group. When dusk was falling, he had turned back to see the pack setting up rest for the night.

With the hunt for a weapon against Sethra and the injury of a creature that called this place home, the Lizardkin strongly believed that should have kept moving. He did not feel like returning to discuss it with the rest though.

He sat down and wrapped himself with his blanket over his winter clothing. He watched them move about making preparations for the night while eating one of two hydra steaks he still had left.

So many are dead or have been lost. The two who left for home after we left Sheyra...and..
    Flamearrow ...remains in that human ..city?...

He reflects about Callos's actions and his fault for allowing it as he slowly chews on the now softened meat.
    So unlike any pack in my tribe....but they are .. mine

He sits deep in thought before coming to a decision. He sits and stares at the rest of party as he seems to formulate something further before jumping up and running up to them.
    [hr]
    As he runs up to Tiriel, he stops panting before asking,
    "Flamesword, i need one of ...healing"
    He uses hand signals to describe 'something you drink' before saying 'healing' while pointing at her backpack. You surmise that he means a potion of healing. From the look on his face, it's clear he's up to something.

OOC:By the time ssathiya takes to finish thinking and come back the camp's all set up and ppl are settling in.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin also surreptitiously watches Callos, hanging back in the group so she doesn't have to turn around to see him. Various angry thoughts flit through her head, but she pushes them away as dusk grows nearer and she hears the wolf howling.

That's not good... I bet the whole pack's out there. I don't know how intelligent wolves are, but I don't want to risk having an wolf pack bent on revenge attacking us tonight...

...Or werewolves, it's the full moon...

Katrin shudders at that thought, and scowls.
    She starts to say "I don't think we should stop tonight..." However, it is obvious that the camp is going to be set up anyways, and the majority of the group wants to stop, she just goes off into the woods to help collect firewood.

EDIT: Dr. Bob: PM'd you.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

Wonderful! Now theres more of the furry little ingrates. I bet that they'll be angry this time if I do anything about it this time either. Bloody bleeding hearts...

"If we travel for two more hours I can arrange for safe sleeping quarters for six other people. But I would simply prefer that we don't stop travelling in the first place so lets keep going."

His voice was pert and terse as though something was on his mind. At first it seemed to be because he could feel the eyes of the others peering at him with those negative emotions but then again it probaly wasn't. The human simply focused on one spot and kept staring out there. Without blinking. Okay maybe thats not normal but he seemed content to just remain there.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

I can't just keep sulking my way along this trip. A willingness tp pour your heart out counts for more in this group than anything else.

Seeing Yix slip into the woods for kindling, Achkby heads into the other side of the woods. He gathers somewhat larger sticks than his more draconian counterpart, veritable logs for the small sorcerer.
    Achkby smiles to Yix as he drops five nice-sized fry sticks next to the others' pile. "Mind if I add these sticks to yours?" he asks. "I'd think we could get a good-sized blaze with this for a start."

If Yix acquiesces, Achkby begins stacking the twigs into a teepee shape, balancing the larger pieces around them and eventually lighting the pile with a little flame produced with a neat spell which he duplicates later that night to clean himself.

[OOC]I hope I can use Prestidigitation for this... if not, I suppose he could Scorching Ray one of the larger logs...
    Also, I'm sort of afraid that Yix's pile is, like, the guy's bed, and he'll be really insulted Achkby thinks it's kindling.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix gladly thanks Achkby for the help with collecting sticks. Yix watches with great intrigue as Achkby uses his magic to get a crackling fire going. When the fire becomes more than just a flicker Yix curls up basking in the heat. "Want food?" Yix asks Achkby, if he sits down next to the fire as well.

17. - Top - End - #167

That's nice of him.

Achkby pauses, reaching for his pack.
    "What do you have?" he asks, turning back towards Yix.

In part, I don't want to deprive him... in part, I don't want week-old deer haunch of somesuch. Though it might keep well in these environs.
    Achkby cheers up after that last thought.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

18. - Top - End - #168

The wagons are placed close to the fire to provide some shelter and protection. They form a reasonable barrier against the cold north wind, and they cover at least one flank.

The horses are tied to a picket line and allowed to browse within the radius of the firelight. The dogs stay close to their owners, providing additional body warmth.

Some of you try to huddle together under your furs and winter blankets for warmth. Others choose to keep to themselves, as nature suits.

By the time the full moon is high in the sky, exactly three things are worth noting.

(1) The lone wolf howling is joined by a chorus of distant wolf howls from several directions. The howling cuts off suddenly and is replaced by an equally eerie silence.

(2) Katrin has not reappeared. She was last seen heading into the forest to gather firewood.

(3) Callos, who had been curled up asleep, stands suddenly and begins to walk into the forest, ignoring the sentries' queries.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

[Regardless if it is his turn at watch or not, Nolan would most likely be awake meditating or just keeping an extra eye out]

Upon seeing Callos get up and walk off, Nolan realizes that the other group member has not returned. What was her name again?

"Is disappearing into the woods by yourself standard practice with this group? If so, Nyssa and I didn't get the notice," he says dryly to those that are on watch. He quietly shrugs off his blankets, grabs a sunrod and his shurikens out of his pack and secures his siangham to his belt. Nolan leaves the sunrod unlit for now if the campfire is still going and walks to an unmanned edge of the camp, hopefully ready for whatever may happen next. He won't try to physically stop Callos if the mage won't listen to verbal questioning.

20. - Top - End - #170

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa wakes up, slightly groggy and very cold. She notices some activity in the camp, and a few murmured questions, but something far more important catches her eye.

Her brother has gotten up from his bed a few feet away, and left his blankets entirely unguarded.

She reaches across and grabs some of Nolan's fur blankets, dragging them to her. Wrapping herself in them tightly, she blinks and blurrily looks around the camp. Smiling sleepily at her brother's comment, she adds, "Maybe we should start tethering them to things, like you do with horses."

Nyssa remains sitting up, wrapped in blankets, and semi-alert and responsive for a few minutes.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs carelessly from where he's propped himself up against a makeshift backrest made from his backpack and saddle, making no move to stop the mage,

"Too many folks with too many motives. It aint worth trying ta sort out who does what and why. All I ask is that no one else wander off looking fer him. THat's how these things go wrong, everyone splitting off ta wander the woods aimlessly. He's a grown man and makes his own decisions, and I ain't chasing him through the woods unless he disappears fer too long."

22. - Top - End - #172

Aeroz

After setting out his bedroll and making a makeshift tent with a blanket and a couple of sticks, he sets out what is left of his equipment in a pile that serves both as a storage area for his stuff and a support for one end of the "tent".

Not needing sleep for another few hours, he walks around the camp. Finding Lumpy, he takes a seat beside him.

"You know what ugly? I've been travelling with you for a couple of weeks now, and I haven't the slightest clue what you are about. Normally half-orcs aren't as...well, smart as yourself."

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy seems to take Aeroz's opening insult in stride - which is to say he's no more surly about it than he would be about any other greeting. He shrugs tiredly, scarcely bothering to counter-rebuke the elf,

"Real astute, genius. Just cause orcs are dumb don't mean everyone wants ta be. I put a helluva lot'a work inta being something besides a slavering moron, taught myself everything I ever needed ta know. Most people don't gotta work fer that, it come natural or gets hended ta them. That's what I'm about, working my way along."

24. - Top - End - #174

Aeroz

"Ah, that came out all wrong. I guess it's just repressed hostilities. What I meant to say is that you are really different from the half orcs I met. Most of them actually had a name. Lumpy just seems more like a nickname than anything. Do you have an actual one?"

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark emerges from his elven meditation, and slowly looks around the camp. He realizes a few folks were missing, and frowns.

He sees Lumpy and Aeroz chatting loudly a short distance away. Seeing few other options he heads in their direction.

26. - Top - End - #176

Fizahn:

Fizahn very abruptly ends his chat with Kiah. He volunteers to take the last watch while setting up his sleeping area. After he is finished, he quickly slides into his bedroll. He is soon sound asleep and misses the entire incident with Callos.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah beds down in with the main group, eager for any extra warmth. I'm getting to old for this... Nevertheless, Kiah can't help but come to semi-wakefulness anytime something changes in the sounds around the camp. Years of looking out for family and for others has left it's mark.

zzz... zzz...*?...huh? more wolves...zzz...zzz...

She doesn't notice Katrin's disappearance. But the change in the quiet conservation as the sentries query Callos catches her radar. Something about it nudges her consciousness, and she becomes fully awake. That's odd...maybe I should...No, they're all odd...besides, it's cold. she snuggles down further in her blankets, if possible, and sleepily watches the sentries ignore Callos's leaving. Once the commotion dies down she will drift back to sleep.

28. - Top - End - #178

Achkby rolls over, further entangling himself in his bedroll.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

*Thokk continues to sleep and snore, and creaking as he turns over still wearing his full plate*

Moradin...My life is yours now more then ever, you shall be repayed...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The burly orc seems almost reluctant to respond for a moment, but eventually continues on regardless,

"Edgar. My mother's husband named me Edgar. I ain't never put much stock in names, on account'a a name's what ya make'a it. There weren't much point'a me being Edgar if everyone calls ya "Lumpy" or "Ugly" or "Half-Breed" anyway. So I beat them ta it. Edgar might be who I am, but Lumpy's what I am, and that's all anyone notices."