New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Fizahn:

Fizahn is standing stiffly. He has his crossbow aimed at a pair of eyes. He cautiously steals a sidelong glance at Hajih. "Hey Hajih, can you and your buddy do anything about the situation we're in? Speak wolf or something. Tell them it wasn't our fault. Say something like an upstart member of the pack was attempting to become alpha wolf but failed miserably. I blame Callos for all this."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

"Speak...wolf?" Hajih asks, a quizzical look on his face.

He pulls on his oversized hat "I'm a guide, not a druid.” He says flatly

“What about the lizardkin? Can’t he help with something like this?

Hajih grumbles while he pulls out his two swords.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

3. - Top - End - #213

Tiriel

"What in the blazing-levels-of-Hell do you mean 'where am I'! If we got into this all because you were sleep walking I'll kill you myself!" Tiriel hisses at Callos.
    She watches the spaces between the trees for signs of movement, hoping to catch a glimpse of whatever is stalking them.

[Tiriel will focus on defense until she has an idea of what they are facing. For the first round she will use total defense and raise her AC to 24]
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah retreats to the middle of the group. Having almost no combat ability, she wouldn't be much use on the outer circle. She concentrates and prepares to cast one of her most powerful spells should the wolves attack.

"Good idea Fizahn. Can anyone speak wolf?" A thought suddenly occurs to her. The eyes, are they the normal height above the ground or are these wolves larger than normal?

(OOC: ready action: Prayer if the wolves attack: +1 luck bonus to attack, damage, saves, and skill checks; -1 on the same to all enemies)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

Sleep walking? That would explain why I'm not where I feel asleep....it doesn't however explain why on earth wolves are howling and only this three are here.

The drowsy necromancer shook his head to get the last vestiges of sleep from his mind before peering about carefully. It wasn't like he could see what it was out there. Probaly wasn't friendly though.

"We can discuss my nocturnal habits later because frankly I'm curious as to how I got out here myself. More importantly we should get ready to defend ourselves."

Callos's voice was surprsingly calm. Consideirng the situation they where in and all. Wasn't like they were defensless though. It didn't feel right though. Without his spellbook in front of him the arcane motions came just a little bit slower and he was biting his teeth in frustration as the arcane energy began to flow through him and into his hand. Then, reaching out, he placed the softly glowing appendage on Tiriel's arm and let the rush of growing magic rush into her.

((Enlarge Person on Tiriel.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II t

Lumpy

Speak wolf? Where do these people get this stuff from?

Lumpy stalks slowly around the circle of their campsight, looking every bit like a caged beast as they face off against their unseen audience. His still-new polearm is at hand, though his flail was looped in easy reach at his belt; he was actually quite interested in seeing the guisarme in action again, and to see if it's prior effectiveness was a fluke or not.

His pacing served an effective purpose as well, warming his joints and loosening his stiffened armor. He'd seen too many soldiers slowed down by a cold night and was loathe to join them.

"Ain't no such thing as wolf, not what we'd be able ta use. If ya wanna get something through ta them, yer body's how ya do it. Show them yer not afraid and let them no there ain't no easy pickings here. If they're set on it, they'll come. Just don't get worked up over it."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Damn that blasted Callos. Nolan's face is grim as he tries to position himself between Nyssa and any danger. His movements are slow and methodical, careful not to aggravate the wolves nor give them any opportunity to strike.

8. - Top - End - #218

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa allows her brother to move in front of her, stepping back slightly. She still tries to keep a confident stance, despite her retreat, looking directly at the wolves. I thought they said wolves weren't a threat to a group this large? This seems unusual.

She prepares an arcane spell quietly, ready to cast should the wolves advance aggressively.

{Nyssa prepares to cast Scare on the two wolves closest to her, should they move in for the attack.}

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

She lifts her bow, holding it steady. At the slightest urging from Delphinia's knees, Gladi stands rock still. "Threaten him later," she hisses. Assuming there will be a later.

10. - Top - End - #220

Lizardkin Druid

The lizardman had stood silently. Picking up on the number of wolves and their health.

It would have been futile to attempt anything as they ahd swiftly surrounded them.

His face was shrouded in the dark as the light from the torches did not touch it. So no one so the look of acceptance of submission on his face.

So the Balance moves... to correct itself

He sighs. He reflects that he wasn't surprised that it had come to this. A thought nagged at him but he was far too distracted to pay mind to it.

Cries of 'could anyone speak wolf' went out among his friends. He looked into the direction of the scream and asks the nearest person,
    "Who's missing?"

When the absence of Tiriel and Katrin are pointed out. He snaps his head up with a look of alarm on his face.

He finally pays heed to the thought.

The wolves aren't attacking

"Something is not as it should be", he utters out aloud. He blinks as the companions beside him look at him in puzzlement.

A wolf attacks in hunger, defence. A wolf attacks only out of necessity

He spins looking at the gathered wolves. Waiting, watching.

This is revenge..

Leaving his previous spell active but shifting his focus, he casts a new spell. One that would let him share a common tongue with beasts.

Moving forward on his knees and holding his arms out. He voices out

"Peace. Brothers. Peace. Will one among you speak? "

OOC: Cast 'Speak with animals'. WE're so lucky I had that memorised....*thinks* or maybe not :-/
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

11. - Top - End - #221

Fizahn:

Fizahn replies angrily to the mocking of his question. "Well I can speak badger, so it stands to reason one of you nature types can speak wolf. I don't care if it's through a spell or something; just start negotiating already!" Fizahn grins as the lizardman casts his spell and attempts to communicate with the wolves. "See? I figured someone here could speak wolf. I'm not stupid."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark had just finished strapping on his armor as the wolves moved into view. He had heard tales and even seen something vaguely resembling then in the Underdark but certainly not this many at one time.

He decided that defense was the best course, again. He brought is oft cast Bless to memory, prepared to use it if the wolves pressed in and attacked.

He watched his druid friend begin the incantations of a spell while dropping to his knees and creeping forward.

Trinark was at a loss for what to do. Many, many things here on the surface seemed like pure madness.

And they thought I was crazy...

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa shoots Callos a look that, by rights, should have at least burned his hair off. "Our wandering wizard is right... for now." Clearly, the gnome is not happy at having had to leave her bedroll for a wandering colleague. She dismounts from her dog, hearing Things That Go Bump In The Night. I'm nowhere near good enough at riding to shoot from the saddle. With one hand on her medallion, Lissa murmurs a phrase in a strange language. The air shimmers briefly around her lithe form.

OOC: Dismount and cast shield of faith on self.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

'By the hammer the lizard can speak with 'em! Thats good. But these don't seem to be normal wolves, I dont remember them being revenge-driven or havin red eyes...'

What are these?

*Thokk shifts his footing and looks for something to get his back to*

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

At the campsite ...

As the lizardman attempts to communicate with the animals, soft barking can be heard from the "wolves" surrounding you. It almost sounds like laughter.

One of the animals steps forward into the light. It looks like an enormous wolf, but is much heavier and taller than what you expected. It's lips move in an almost human way and unexpectedly it speaks.

"I can speak your ugly tongue, bipeds. Where is he?"

[hr]
    In the clearing ...
    To her surprise, suddenly Tiriel finds herself almost 12 feet tall - a veritable giant. Lissa and Delphinia are now merely knee-high. Tiriel spins and looks down at Callos, who simply shrugs.

Suddenly an inky black form bursts from the undergrowth. It streaks across the the clearing and disappears again, colliding noisily with something else hidden in the bushes. You hear another high-pitched scream, a yelp, then silence ...

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Speaking to no one in particular, Delphinia says quietly, "I'm watching where it came from. Somebody else watch where it went."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

Silently the necromancer began to curse the fact that he had none of his precious possessions with him since he was fairly sure that there was a torch among them. Now he couldn't see what on earth was going on and there was no way he was going to set a tree or bush on fire just to see.

So instead his nimble fingers began to twist and weave through the arcane motions once more until a subtle smile ame to his face. If the woman had been surprised when she had grown...well this would be just as big as one. Reaching out once again his hand landed on Tiriel's lower calve and more transformative magic began to surge through her.

((Bull's Strength on the now giantess.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Frowning, Lissa swings her crossbow into position and peers at the bush where the yelps came from. The darkness there is too deep for even gnomish eyes, though. "Brace yourselves, people, I'm going to make some lights. I want to see what's in that bush." Comrades duly warned- after all, it's never a pleasant experience to have magelight flare up when your eyes are adjusted to the dark- Lissa makes a throwing gesture toward the bush and speaks a few arcane words. Four balls of pastel-colored light pop into existence over the bush.

OOC: Draw crossbow and use dancing lights racial ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix looks as menacing as possible towards the pack of wolves, even though on the inside he is shaking in his proverbial boots. Desptie his bravado, he is rather confused, first by the wolf's speech, and secondly by who the wolf is refering too. He chooses to stay quiet on the subject, and let others do the talking.

20. - Top - End - #230

Fizahn:

"Well. You see, our problem is he sorta left. I'm not rightly sure as I was peacefully sleeping and not harming anything. He is a wizard, so there is some possibility of him teleporting away. He never really struck me as the mentally stable kind of fellow; especially not when we were in the Underdark." Fizahn shrugs, but keeps his crossbow at the ready. "Nice to know he isn't prejudiced against us in the slightest. I personally never liked that language much either. Everyone should learn Gnomish. Or Dwarf maybe, is Dwarf a good language, Thokk?"
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

21. - Top - End - #231

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa remains standing still, but now shifts her gaze so she's watching the lead wolf. She finally breaks and glances over at Kiah, who is also inside the protective circle of the group with her. Is this normal? her eyes ask in the flickering light of the fires.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

This isn't natural. Nolan's body tenses. Though not a druid, the young monk's distaste for anything that doen's follow the natural order of things comes to the fore.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah shrugs her shoulders at Nyssa and moves to the edge of the circle.

"The small one is correct. I saw the one with the black lightning lured away just before you arrived. It seems others are hunting him. That scream is not one of yours is it?"

Kiah studies the wolf carefully to see if there is any reaction to her mention of the scream.

EDIT: What are these things? (OOC:Knowledge Nature +7)

24. - Top - End - #234

Aeroz

Aeroz is shocked to hear the wolf talk, and in such a rude manner too. "Well, you are no Sune yourself wolfy." the elf replies snappily after taking a few seconds to comprehend his situation.

[OOC: Untrained Sense motive - 14+0=14; trying to see if they have hostile intentions]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

25. - Top - End - #235

Tiriel

"That thing that just went by looked like a cat. A big cat." Tiriel doesn't really like the fact that Callos keeps casting spells on her with out warning or an explanation of their effect. But she realizes that he's trying to help... or he's just using her as a shield.

Strength: 26 (enlarge, 2nd round; bull's strength 1st round)
    AC: 19
    Reach 10'

ooc: holding action.

Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy is obviously startled by the speaking wolf, turning to look the beast over for a moment. But only for a moment, as the orc warily turns his back on the spectacle, slipping into his routine of pacing their campsite. If the enemy wanted you looking one way, sometimes it was better to be looking another when everything was said and done.

Besides, from the sound of things, they were going to piss it off enough without his help. A fight was almost inevitable.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark seemed to be the least surprised to hear the wolf speak. He came from strange "lands" below the ground where many creatures lurked.

He cleared his thoat quietly, and moved forward toward the large wolf a bit. He kept his hands calmly at his side, palms open facing toward the wolf.

"Perhaps I can help. I can heal the injured member of your pack, if you will let me."

28. - Top - End - #238

Lizardkin Druid

Looking to Cloudhair, he gives an audible hiss to gain his attention. Once he has he shakes his head(edit) slowly and motions him back.

NO...he may not know wolves do not speak..like us

He recalls his earlier spell to detect animals and concentrates of a wolf as he centers the spell on the speaking wolf.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Yes little one, dwarf is a very good language"

"Your native speak also works well"

"Goblin talk primitive, 7 word for hate but one for ale"

"The language of the demons is rather complex regarding pain and suffering"

"Rock-talk hurts the throat muchso"

*Turning fully to the wolf now*

"Ach, and now the language ye dub ugly. I could say the same about yer yelps and growls, but I shant. Now, what exactly do ye want?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

What in the nine -- er, yes, nine -- hells is going on?!

At a loss for actions, Achkby searches his memory for any idea of what these things could be.

[OOC]Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+11=16) (Damn)[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE