Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 1515
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Worgs!

    The large "wolves" have formed a semicircle surrounding the southern side of your camp. The leader of the pack stands forward slightly, his lips curled back in a sneer.

    The alpha worg shakes his head at Kiah in a very human-like gesture. "I am no mood for games. We know that the shadow cat is with you."

    "Give us the wizard, and the rest of you may go in peace."

    The two wagons protect your northern flank, but the horses and mules tethered on the opposite side of the wagons are getting increasingly agitated.

    In the distance, there is another high-pitched scream, then a yelp of pain. As one, the worgs prick up their ears and turn their heads toward the sounds, which seem to have come from the forest to the north.

    The alpha worg growls and barks out an order. Immediately, roughly half a dozen worgs break ranks and disappear into the night.

    The alpha worg gazes at your group for a second or two as if memorizing each of your faces and appraising your capabilities, then he and the rest of his pack back away slowly from you until they disappear into the darkness as well.

    [hr]
    Tiriel now feels as strong as she is tall. Her flaming sword has been enlarged by Callos' magic along with her armor and gear. As the bull's strength flows through her veins, she almost smiles with pleasure.

    Tiriel steps forward into the bushes with Lissa and Callos close behind, while Delphinia makes sure that there is nothing sneaking up on the four of you from the rear. Lissa's dancing lights illuminate a gory scene.

    A large wolf lies on its side beside a clump of evergreen bushes. Its eyes and mouth are open. A pink tongue protrudes limply from between its glistening fangs. The wolf has been viciously disemboweled. Its entrails have spilled out onto the rocky, icy ground, still steaming.

    Delphinia peeks at the scene and immediately notes several bloody paw prints leading away from the scene.





  2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Lumpy

    Lumpy snarls as the pack breaks away, shouldering his weapon,

    "Worgs. Been a while since I seen one'a them. ain't never seen one without a goblin riding it neither." The burly orc considers the situation for a moment, "It ain't safe here no more, obviously. We're gonna have ta mobilize and round up the strays, wouldn't be much of a fight if a mob a them finds all'a us a bit at a time, and they're out ta find us."

    There was an unspoken second option flitting across Lumpy's mind, which was simply to dig in for the night and leave the seperated to fate for the night. But the others wouldn't go for it, he knew. Best to get moving and get it done with before someone pitched a fit.

    "Best load everything up and get plenty'a torches burning. Ain't gonna be no sneaking around among worgs. Heavy-Handed's the way ta go."

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Here

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Kiah

    "I think you nailed it Lumpy. Damn that wizard!"

    She continues on in a low voice. The worgs may appear gone but they will have keen ears. "Now we are stuck between rescuing him and leaving him to the wolves."

    Kiah looks around to anyone who will listen "So the shadow cat is Katrine?" She shakes her head slightly How in heavens name does this group get along? It's beyond me.

    "Tiriel and Delphina are (distance) in that direction..." She points (OOC: distance determined by status) "... and still uninjured. (sigh) The sooner we get everyone together the better. Can anyone get a message to them? I don't feel like walking into a worg ambush in the middle of the night."

    (OOC: DR: how far are they away?)

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Aeroz

    "As Edgar said, sneaking around won't be an option. And unless one of us can cast a telepathy spell, getting a message to Callos and the others is kinda out of the question. I think Lissa and Tiriel are with them. Lissa is a tough little thing, and if Tiriel can break through a royal escort, I figure they will be alright for the meanwhile." Aeroz says as he flicks his rapier into the ground impatiently.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Thokk

    "Ach, I would actually be game for spending the night here lads. Mobilization would work, or we can simply dig in and set a higher number of sentries then normal. Those beasties know we can kick the stuffing out of 'em so they shant bother us, espically because we dont have any shadow cat of theirs.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Nyssa

    "I think they'd be beyond my ability to send a message to, Kiah. Of course, a subtle approach seems to be pointless, as the Worgs know we're here, they know where our friends are, and we know where our friends are. I'm not sure what secret we'd be trying to keep."

    Nyssa shrugs. "I suggest shouting." It always works with Nolan.

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Nolan

    Worgs? From bad to worse... Nolan shakes his head and sighs. He holds his lit staff aside as he tosses his and Nyssa's packs and blankets into the cart, preparing to head out into the night after the absent party members.

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dauphinous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Delphinia

    After the quick look to appraise the scene, Delphinia returns her attention firmly to watching thier backs. "You kids want to track those paw prints or head back to the rest of the group? I can't see that this is anything we ought to stick our noses into. My vote is to head back."

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Lizardkin Druid

    Whatever that thing was. It was no animal nor was it an abomination.

    He understood why his earlier spell did not let him sense anything.

    They were beasts but with an intelligence of a speaking race.And they hunted in packs.

    The Spirits do not favour us

    He keeps watch of his surrounding as the other talk, picking up snatches of the conversation.

    He noted the half-human call the creatures 'wargs'.

    We can be tracked but we are not the prey.. yet

    "We move...no rest"

    Trying to remember the lay of the land as the sun set, he sets his sights on finding higher ground and some defensible, preferably among some dolmens (stone formations).
    [hr]

    If there is no such position he can single out, he will instead edge people into the thickest parts of the forest.
    He will let them bring their horses and packs but make them leave the carts behind.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Yix

    Yix stands there slightly shaking in his armor, the only sense coming over him is one of great confusion. However, he follows everyone elses lead and makes his way into on of the carts.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Lissa

    Although she looks a bit sick at the carnage for a moment, Lissa covers the expression well. She shrugs at Delphinia's question, directing her lights to circle the clearing slowly. "You're the ranger here, Delphinia. I don't know much about wilderness and animals, so I'm willing to follow your lead." Lissa looks up at Callos and way up at giant Tiriel. "What do you two think?"

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Callos

    "As much as I hate to say it. And I really hate to say it, I think we should be able to follow the paw prints. If whatever killed the wolf was being friendly towards us and consiously knew what it was doing that means it knows these woods and also can guide us out even faster."

    What had killed the wolf and was it even that? The clinical necromancer bent down on one knee to peer at the wounds that took the creatures life. Perhaps it hadn't been an animal per say but instead a savage humaniod who walked on two legs.

    (Going to try and determine if the wolf is a wolf and if so then what killed it. Like what kind of weapon or natural weapon it is.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    Spoiler
    Show




  13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Tiriel who is very large for at least a few more seconds out of battle

    Tiriel shrugs, then realizes that between the dark and her large size, it's doubtful that anyone saw the movement. She says, "I'll go with whatever everyone else wants to do, but I think we should at least check-in at camp before we go further into the forest."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dauphinous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Delphinia

    Dammit. If only life were as simple as 'anything the wizard says is a crock'.

    "You've got a point," Delphinia says to Callos. She lowers her bow and jumps back down off Gladi's back, then takes a knee to get a good look at both the carcass and the prints.

    {knowledge(nature) +10, survival +11
    Edit: +2 to the survival check for tracking if it's a magical beast}

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Kiah judges that the others are roughly a quarter mile to the north-north-east in the forest. She can sense that they are uninjured for now.

    While most of you immediately start to break camp and load up the wagons, the lizardman seems to be getting increasingly agitated. He seems to want the party to head in the opposite direction. The more frustrated he gets, the fewer words he uses until he is simply gesturing frantically away from the woods.

    [hr]
    Callos and Delphinia kneel by the "wolf". The creature seems to be an unusually large specimen. The frank disembowling appears to have been caused by a set of razor sharp claws, not any kind of man-made weapon. Delphinia points to a set of neat puncture marks at the base of the wolf's spine.

    The tracks lead off to the east. The paw prints appear to be those of a large cat. No claw marks are visible.

    Lissa keeps watch, growing increasingly uneasy. The woods seem to be almost unnaturally silent. In the distance, a twig snaps ...

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    dauphinous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Delphinia

    Oh, hell.

    Whispering to Callos, as he is closest, "We should move. Back towards the camp. I don't want to get caught standing still." She stands back up and gets her bow ready again without lifting it.

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Here

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Kiah

    Kiah moves through the camp as quickly as possible.

    "Theys a quarter mile that way. At the rate worgs move they could be dead 'for we get there." As she's talking Kiah grabs her bedroll and unceremoniously stuffs it in her backpack. "I think we have to leave the wagons, they'll take too long to harness up."

    "Achkby? what'da'ya'say about putting another one of them lights up in the sky above us. Do you think they would see it and head back?"

    Catching sight of the lizardkin, she pauses what's he doing now? damned if I know but he's going the wrong way. Moving to stop dead still in front of the lizardkin she glares up at him, trying by sheer force of will to get him to stop and look her in the eye. Then she points in the direction the others are.

    "Packmates!"

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Nyssa

    "I'll send Orestes. Hopefully his presence will let them know we're looking for them." If any of them has even taken the time to notice him before. "We either split up and some of us move to assist them, or we'll be too late. Dividing our numbers, however, seems dangerous."

    She calls Orestes down to her. Find them. Lead them back. Don't let them wander off, she tells Orestes in the private language they share. Nyssa strikes a sunrod, puts it in the claws of her owl, and sends him off in the direction Kiah indicated.

    {Orestes has a strength of 4. Who knew!}

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Strong owl!

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    "I can only conjure so many a day," he replies, "I'll wait a minute. THey're too far away to see much now, anyways."

    He is hurriedly repacking, his glowing stone on the ground before him.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Lissa

    A twig snaps in the too-silent night, and Lissa jumps about a foot in the air. She nods jerkily at Delphinia's whisper, taking a deep breath. "Camp sounds good. Real good. Lead the way, I'll be right behind you," Lissa whispers back. Clutching her crossbow just a little too tightly, Lissa silently gives thanks for the fact that she's wearing gloves. It wouldn't do to have sweaty hands slip on her weapon.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Nolan

    At the suggestion of leaving the carts behind, Nolan retrieves his and Nyssa's belongings before following the others.

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Yix


    Looking slightly annoyed a having to move from the spot he had just made for himself, Yix hops off the carts. He scurries after the rest of the group, hoping to catch up before they leave him behind.

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    [bThokk[/b]

    "Ach, Scaley! We need to protect the clan! The wee ones are over there, and those beasties arent natural, lets rid them from this land."

    *Thokk grabs all his gear, suits up, and starts heading towrds the lost ones*

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Lumpy

    Gathering up the essentials, Lumpy sets off in the indicated direction, towards the seperated group. He leads his warhorse along behind him, but leaves his saddle behind with the carts; the beast might be useful, but it's tack wasn't, as he couldn't fight mounted anyway. The lizardman was also cause for little concern, they could sort out just what had him rattled AFTER they were all grouped up and safely back at the campsite. If they made it that far.

    "Keep it orderly. There'll be a helluava lotta them, so soft folk in the middle. If we get surrounded, won't be much room fer maneuvers."

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Hajih

    Hajih, still slightly asleep, and definitely not talkative, goes to the reins of his cart.

    His wolf paces around impatiently, growling quietly at the worgs.

    Hajih lays his weapons down beside him and takes a drink from his flask.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Trinark

    Still somewhat unsure of the overall situation, Trinark moves off after the Lizardkin Druid. If there was some enemy to be faced this night, he planned to face it alongside his friend.

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Lizardkin Druid

    Originally intent on moving them to rock-strewn higher ground for defensive poistion, he realises that the whole lot were more interested in charging off to find the others.

    While he certainly wasn't in favour of abandoning flamesword or sunhair, he knew charging blindly into the night, into ground that predators were familiar with was a foolish effort.

    He looks frustrated at not being express these thoughts.

    He changes his motion and now waves them TO the trees
    "Wait! No run anywhere. Not know where they are. I find them. Wait"

    To trinark,
    "We must not run blind in the dark. Better to move in forest for protection"

    Focusing on his earlier spell, he now concentrates on the riding dogs on of the others rode off on earlier, sweeping the spell in all directions.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Fizahn:

    Fizahn follows the others. He offers no complaints to their course of actions. He keeps his crossbow at the ready and casts a wary eye about. He stops at the carts to grab his pack and produce his everburning torch. He puts his crossbow away so he can keep his torch out along with his dagger. "Be at peace Druid, Kiah knows where our packmates are. She cast some spell upon them earlier that tracks their position, or something." He takes his spot within the group. "Lead us to them Kiah."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Here

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Kiah

    Kiah shoulders her pack and looks around to see if everything is in order. If she sees unattended stuff on the ground (Delphinia, Lissa and Callos - I think Tiriel took hers) she will ask anyone next to her to help take it - she can't carry much herself.

    Then she takes her place near the center of the group and turns to Lumpy:

    "Ready"

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

    Nolan

    Nolan will assist Kiah if she needs it. He will then position himself at the outside edge of the group to the left or right, making sure that Nyssa is within sight and in the middle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •