New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 53 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Oriental Adventures (Restart)

It is the dawning of a new year in Rokugan. It should be a time for joyful celebration and merrymaking, but the corruption of the Tainted Lands has been spreading outwards. The Crab lands have been shrinking slowly for the past three months, as raiding parties from the Tainted Lands have been spreading out more and more. The Emperor has closeted himself away with his closest advisors, looking for a solution. After a full week of debating and discussion, the Emperor emerged with a plan: to wipe the taint entirely from the face of Rokugan. A large army will be sent into the heart of the Shadowlands and the taint will be cut off at its source. A call has been sent out to all able bodied individuals in the Empire. All those who volunteer will be compensated with payment, provided they aren't under the command of their Lord to do so (all you samurai, I'm afraid, have been commanded by your Clan Leaders to go forth and gain honor for your house and Clan). You find yourself drawn to the call, be it for money, honor or fame, or any combination of the three.

Some quick directions from soldiers at the front gate leads you to the center of the Capital City. Outside of the Palace are four very fancy Inns, and in front of each is a sign up station.

What do you do?

(You can all post what you want to do, and I will address them one by one)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Oriental Adventures (Restart)

An average height man walks from the crowd in robes of yellow and green tints and armcloths of the same color. He holds a set of beads in his hands and constantly moves them between his fingers muttering under his breath. He is a simple looking man with a shaved head, a dragon tattooed on his scalp and no visible weaponry whatsoever.

He steps to the first table takes the pen and signs his name eloquently with lots of loops and crosses. He replaces the pen and speaks, "Do you know where one can find a place of bodily and spiritual peace?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

a fairly short young man with long flowing black hair in indescimenant robes walks slowly down the road. he is smoking a pipe that reeks of an herbal mixture of some type. with the skill of a scribe he signs a name, Ikeira, into the scroll of names and takes a seat on the porch of the tavern. with relief evident on his face one could assume and rightfully so he is bearing more weight in his pack than he has the strength to carry. a crossbow seems to be his only weapon and yet he wears no armor. he says nothing but watches those signing up for those in need of a scribes assistance.
    This is my BRUTE'S MINICITY

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A tall (for a Rokugani, he's about 5' 8") man strides into the square in front of the palace. He wears the garb of a Scorpion noble: a black Kimono (robes), dark red Obi (sash), and a dark purple Kataginu (a sleeveless jacket with prominent shoulders) embroidered on the back with a scorpion in red and black. On his arms are silver bracers carved with scorpions. Over his shoulder is slung a carry-sack, a shortbow and a quiver, and on his Obi hang the ancestral Daisho of a samurai, a Wakizashi and Katana. The man moves like an athelete, surefooted and lithe.
    He walks to the first table, and waits behind the pipe-smoker until it his turn. When he reaches the table, he goves a short bow, arms folded inside his sleeves, to the scribe. I am Bayushi Masaya, Samurai of Lord Bayushi Otunga, here to fight for the Emperor and the Honour of the Scorpion. He signs the paper with a deft hand. Could you tell me when we shall receive our first orders?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A shrill and excited laughter, probably coming from several mouths at once, approaches the gathering grounds. Its source is a group of children, following and teasing a strange-looking little man carrying a large wicker basket on his back. At least, it looks like a weird, slighly hunched, and dark-skinned bearded little man, but upon any serious inspection the small feet and arms, covered with thick brown fur, mark the individual as a rare sight indeed. The fact that his head is that of a monkey certainly adds to the strangeness of the sight.

While he looks like a strange cross of a monkey and a man, it is obvious that he is neither savage nor harmless. The foreign-looking, but fine, embroideries on his loose robe and large sash indicate some status, and the club-like weapon he carries on his waist looks servicable to all but the brashest of samurai. He looks at the gathering crowd, and his emerald-green eyes flicker with curiosity. Approaching another onlooker, he takes off his hat and asks in a sing-song high-pitched voice.

Oh, honorable sir! Would you help the poor traveler that is me to discern the nature of this gathering?
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6

((I'm going to address these one at a time, going right down the line. Also, if we could place our names at the top of our posts, that would help me to learn names quicker.))

Gleeman, the man looks at you and nods.

"We have a temple to the Gods not three blocks from here."

He points behind him to two prominent buildings.

"The one to your right that you see over the rooftops is the temple. Sign ups are going on for two more days, so get rest while you can for we head out on the third day. We will head out shortly afterwards."

Ikeira, there aren't too many others who need the help of a scribe. A few peasants sign up, but for the most part, the recruits look educated if not seasoned.

Masaya, the man whose booth you are in front of eyes you up, distrust evident in the look. He nods curtly and responds in the same manner.

"Yes, Scorpion. Three days from now the army will be assembled and ready to move. You will be left to your own...devices until then."

One of the onlookers turns to you, Shaman, curiosity plain on his face.

"The Emperor is assembling a great army to march into the Shadowlands to rid our great land of Taint forever. There are four booths in the square up there where sign up stations are situated for all those who wish to volunteer."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma nods to the person who he's speaking with, and smiles - a wide, open smile, revealing pearl-white teeth.

Ah! I am most obliged, gracious sir. Taint - so this is what you call the evil ((Says something in Vanara, basically translating to "dark shroud")). Most interesting. But why four pavillions? Are one or two not enough, or are they for people of different realms?

8. - Top - End - #8

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

Ikeira nods as the scorpions questions are answered just as if he expected such. though he does check his money string on his wrist to see if he has enough coin to last him 2 more days. satisfied he waits patiently for the inns hostess to take his order of rice and fish with saki.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya glares at the man, as he is obviously insinuating that Scorpions are dishonourable, but Masaya does nothing, as it would be unpolite. Instead, he nods curtly, and goes to the inn behind. There he orders lunch, and sits down to relax.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

He nods to the man then begins mumbling his mantra.

Mekumu goes to this temple. As he walks down the street he never stops mumbling his mantras. When he approaches the temple he asks if he would be allowed to stay in the temple for meditation and personal workouts until the third day when we leave.

11. - Top - End - #11

Cyrus the DM

Above is an example of how I would like names to be displayed, very much like Ikeira did, for my sanity if nothing else. :P Anyway, moving on.

The onlooker responds, "I'm not exactly sure why there are four, but I'm guessing it was the most they could fit into the plaza without overcrowding things too much."

Everyone in the plaza cheers every once in awhile as someone signs their name.

Ikeira, your food is brought to you. The serving woman is polite and quick.

Masaya, you are treated more fairly and respectfully at whatever inn you decide to stay at.

The monk at the entrance bows to you, Mekumu.

"Yes, noble monk, you can stay here as long as you wish."

Ok, unless anyone has anything important that they want to do, I'm going to move along to the dawn of the third morning.

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

for two days Ikeira has been sitting at the front watching the gathering of forces. on the third day when all begin to filter to the assembly he will speak for the first time in company.
    " now this is going to be an interesting journey." ((for voice sound please see david lopan in his wheelchair mode from the movie' big trouble in little china'))

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

((Wow, we're going fast))

For the last two days, Vrishma has been wandering around the city, but mostly marveling at the multitude of warriors signing up. Several times, he wondered if he ought to sign up too, but although he does not know much about humans, he has heard, at least, that they can be a little... strange when they go to war. However, he wonders if he can't just travel along with the army ((And he asks one of the scribes so once)).

In the meantime, he uses his travels around the city to look at the spirits that populate this town and the land around it. A shaman's education, as the venerable Aki said, lasts his entire life - and maybe longer. At nights, he hires an inn near the square ((if he is allowed to, of course)). It is there that he sometimes sees Ikeira, whom he noticed around the square as well. Upon one such notice in the morning of the third day, he approaches him.

Good morning, honorable sir. I see that you are also involved with this army that is gathering, but you do not look like a warrior. Are you a worker for the camps, a scholar, or perhaps a shaman?

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

"hmmm an interesting question. ive been called many things, ungrateful brat,dishonor to my ancestors, that wierdo hermit to name a few. I suppose you could call me a scholar, of sorts."

Ikeira continues to smoke his pipe of strange herbs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya will stay at the inn for the two nights, resting and practicing with his sword.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

The Vanara tilts his head, curiousity - and some sympathy - almost oozing off him.

Ungrateful? Disappointment? You do look like a scholar, sir, if not a very wealthy one... Why should your family be disappointed with you, then? Are you from such a noble line that you could not live up to the fame of your ancestors?

17. - Top - End - #17

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

" HAHAHAHA. No, my family disowned me, my clan disowned me, all because I followed the call of the elements instead of the path of the samaurai. never was good with people anyway. so whats your story?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma looks somewhat alarmed, and confused.

What?? Elemental magic is forbidden here, maybe? But their shugenja-shamans, they often wield the elements... are all adepts shameful? Most curious, most curious. I have seen many priests wield magic, sir; are there some bans you broke to bring shame upon yourself?

Me, I come from the lands of my people, far to the Northwest. The elders of the mountains sensed that the shadows are encroaching, and sent me to see to it that this... Taint... brings no harm to them. So far I've only traveled, I have not done anything else, and now there is this army. Maybe I should sign up, maybe not, I have given my loyalty to the elders and not anyone else. What do you think, sir..?

He makes short pauses as he speaks says, picking his words carefully. The human ways seem strange indeed, and he does not want to cause trouble with an unfortunate phrase.

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

" bans...hmmmm not really. As a child i never really tried to uphold my family's honor.... I was a child and didnt understand the importance....which unfortunately became more a habit as i grew older. then i ignored my former clans insistance to walk the path of the samaurai...but by then i had found an old hermit to teach me the ways of the Wu Jen..... my family and clan didnt matter as much then and they decided that i should be disowned rather than honored for being accepted on this rarely taken path."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Mekumu

Mekumu stays at the temple meditating and practicing his martial arts. He also reads history books about the area and the history of the shadowlands to learn what he can. Other than that he arrives on the third morning ready to depart.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Vrishma sits down on the porch of the tavern, and chuckles lightly.

This is most strange, this is. Why does your people always insist in making rivers go uphill? If one does not want to hold a sword, and there is no need for a swordfighter, why the need to push him? I am, however, saddened by your tale, good sir, yes I am: leaving a family is never easy.

Now you are going with the army, then? Is it for fame, or right, that you are going, or for money?

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

Ikeira shrugs his shoulders non commitantly.

" none of the above actually. this looks to be a grand experiment in high level magic....Im curious as to what effect it will actually have and thus am prepared to do everything in my power to see it happen"

23. - Top - End - #23

((Moving along. I don't like to interrupt the lovely interaction and character building but *shrug* :P))

At dawn, a fanfare awakens all in the plaza. The blaring horns can be heard in the inns, and even as far away as the temple. There is a commotion outside as General Kyo (the Emperor's right hand man and the leading general in this campaign, as well as one of the most honored members of the Lion clan) stands upon a podium, delivering a rousing speech.

"Friends of both Clan and Empire, I greet you on this glorious morning, for today, we go to wage war upon the Shadowlands! We go to rid the Taint from this land forever. With the divine grace of the Emperor on our side, we cannot lose!"

A humongous uproar from the crowd as they all cheer. It is almost deafening.

"Our Shugenja's have been up countless nights, bringing together all the jade that they could find. We have enough for all. Even the earth itself is with us! It's grace is given by way of this wondrous bounty of jade. So come down, all of you, and receive a finger of jade, compliments of the Emperor!

More cheers go up as everyone is handed a finger of jade.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya smiles, but does not cheer with the rest. He takes his finger of jade with thanks.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma scratches his head, and goes towards the multitude. Signed up or not, he intends to go with them. Besides, free jade is nothing to sneer at: given how alarmed the humans are over the taint, it might be a good idea to have some.

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

Ikeira waits til last letting all clans and guests go first as is proper for the clanless.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Mekumu

Mekumu also doesn't cheer with the crowds. I wonder if they are being to close minded about this situation. If the Taint and the Shadowlands are defeated they will just find other people to fight and bicker with. I just hope the balance will not become upset.

Mekumu steps forward to receive his finger of jade. He ties it with a string and hangs it around his neck.

28. - Top - End - #28

General Kyo gives a grandiose wave of his arms and hops onto his horse and begins to ride from the city,the massive horde following him from the city, a traditional fanfare sounding after you all, wishing luck and a successful campaign.

The rest of the day passes by with no problems occuring. Quick stops are made at any town along the way to recruit more volunteers. The size of the army stretches out for miles. Armor glistens in the sunlight. A few days pass, and the army is camped on the road between the village of Minami Chushin and the town of Mizen as the sun sets. The four of you are camped out with a Unicorn Shugenja named Tetsura Miko, her bodyguard Taka, and a Dragon Samurai by the name of Kobayashi Akira. Akira is speaking with Miko around the fire. Taka sits silently at Miko's side, his deeply scarred face eyeing the surrounding darkness suspiciously, his hands firmly grasping his pole arm.

"This army moves slowly," Miko complains.

"Such is to be expected with an army of this size. I am still impressed that the Emperor managed to get so many people. General Kyo could convince a sparrow to launch an assault against a hurricane, and the sparrow would go into battle thinking it could win," responds Akira.

"We have a chance," Miko shoots back. "I wouldn't underestimate a single person in this army. They are all devoted to this noble cause."

"I'm not saying we don't, nor would it matter to me if I thought we didn't. I'm here because my Lord commanded me to be here, and I follow his orders without question. But many of these people have never seen battle before and it is folly to not expect casualties, or intense battles."

((Time for more character interaction, if you would like. Go ahead and talk a bit.))

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

This army is huge, far bigger than any I fought with in the Spirit wars, even when we destroyed the spirits at Beiden Pass.
    Masaya grimaces.
    But we are invading the shadowlands, full of Oni and Bakemono, and who knows what else. Will it be big enough? They said we are to cut off the taint at its source, but Fu Leng is long dead and the taint continues. What creates it? How do we destroy it?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

N.P.