New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Oriental Adventures (Restart)

(Yeah, I had to submit that last post 5 times before it worked yesterday. Seemed to be a bandwidth problem. Not sure if its fixed now or if its working fine because its like 6 o'clock in the morning in Colonial Land at the moment.
    What books does he need? The d20srd has the basics, if he needs other stuff I'd recommend peer-to-peer links like Limewire or Bit-torrent. If you already have the books, it is legal to get them on pdf from such places.)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

((Sense Motive check to remember about last night 19+4=23, untrained))

Yeeees, Vrishma says, his brows furrowing. Bad things I dreamed of, indeed I did, then stops himself hurriedly. Was it really a dream? He walks out and tries to pass through the crowd, apologizing politely whenever he bumps into people, but tries to keep his elbows in and the markings obscured. He goes near the water, and his nose wrinkles.
    This is not good, it isn't.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vrishma, you don't know how you know, but you are certain neither you have committed the crime before you, although you can't say for your party members (I will be getting to the scene in a second).

In the blood stained pool before you, are the bodies of a few villagers, maimed and otherwise torn open in many places. It appears to be a family. A man, woman and two young children (one boy, one girl). The local magistrate is standing in shock before the fountain, mouth agape and eyes wide. After a few more moments in that pose, he turns to a soldier standing next to him.

"Captain, assemble a task force. Rake the surrounding countryside, forest and base of the mountain for the culprits of this heinous act. It's a little too early for the yeti's to come down this far, but search for them anyway. This seems far beyond their capabilities, but better to be safe than sorry. We don't want any more incidents like this. Also, be wary for creatures of the Shadowlands. We've not seen any for many months, so maybe some in the area have become restless."

"Yes sir," is all the captain says, bowing and quickly leaving the macabre scene. Villagers begin talking in hushed tones as as the magistrate puts his face in his hands and exhales loudly.

4. - Top - End - #244

((Bump))

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Mouth wide open in shock, Vrishma nears the bodies as much as possible so as not to provoke a reaction from the soldiers. He crouches down and taps his chin a few times, thinking, then focuses back on the bodies.

((Heal check to determine cause of wounds - weapons, claws, etc, any telling marks, and an approximate time of death - 17+8=25, it could be penalized for distance but should suffice.))

Standing up, Vrishma faces his comrades, a serious expression on his normally cheery face. He speaks quietly, but with a determination that was lacking even in the march to the Shadowlands.
    We need to find more about this, we do. I am eager to meet the sage Genki no less than you are, but that could wait, indeed it could. What is happening here may be no mean coincidence, I think it's not. He casts a telling look to his arm, then faces the closest villager. Good man, who were those poor people, and where did they live?

May the cleansing waters of the Divine River flow through this village. I hope the spirits have been restless yesterday night

6. - Top - End - #246

Time of death is somewhat uncertain. Sometime between 12 and 1 am. The wounds are easier. They were either made by claws or teeth.

The villager, looking pale, answers you.

"This is Nobutada. He is...was a merchant. Until the Emperer bought all of the jade up, he had a considerable store of it. Aside from that, he sold odds and ends, containers, cookware things like that. He was my next door neighbor, and I never heard a sound. No screams, no sounds of fighting. Nobutada was a somewhat accomplished warrior, but he was just murdered in cold blood."

The villager stands there, shaking.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

.oO(This isn't good for me... But thank my ancestors I've kept a low profile...."

Masumi keeps up her poker face countennance as she inspects the bodies herself... 1d20+2=14
    ..As well as something else, but it's unnoticable by anyone around her.

She addresses the neighbor with a calm, collected tone. "Did you here or see anything last night?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Thank you, my good man. Apparently whatever brigands attacked them were too many for him to handle, alas, too many indeed. Can you tell me where he lived? His face bears a sympathetic expression, but his eyes still carry a glint of urgency and determination. A foul deed like this may attract bad spirits if nothing is done. I realize I am an outsider here, I do, but I would like to prepare a sutra to ward them off and put the family's souls to rest.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Brigands? Masaya says in disbelief.
    With teeth and claw marks and no-one hearing the struggle? No, it must have been evil spirits of some sort. Or Maho... You need to set up wardings Vrishma, wardings against evil spirits. Don't just pray for their souls, pray for ours. he says grimly.
    (Masaya is trying to remember whether the dead villagers he sees look like the ones he killed in his dream, or not.)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Eh, we shall see when we get there, but I rather doubt it, I do. It is sad to see a family in their prime cut down like that, but the cause need not be magical, alas. Does the family have any relatives, good man, I would ask? Anyone whom we must speak to before we enter the house?

Incidentally, Vrishma's hands seem quite close to his mouth as he speaks, and he gives Masaya a brief glare.

We are already suspicious enough without extra panic in the town, indeed we are. And I had heard the humans of the Scorpion tribe called deceitful, indeed. One can't always judge a fruit by the tree, apparently.

11. - Top - End - #251

Two guards approach Vrishma and Masaya (was Masumi in the area as well? I don't remember exactly). Any villagers in the area will back away nervously.

&quot;Magistrate Takahashi requests your presence in his house.&quot;

If you look around to see the magistrate, he is nowhere in sight.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Masya smiles. Of course, I would be honoured.
    He turns to Vrishma. Hurry up with these wards, or whatever it is.He turns to Masumi. And your job is to guard him, I don't know what's going on and I won't lose my servants to evil spirits he says, wagging his finger at her. And don't be falling asleep!
    He turns back to Vrishma. And tell my other servant I want breakfast prepared by the time I return, or lunch if it is a long time, and I want my bed made, my nightclothes washed, and my clothes from yesterday washed. He better get that wine stain off, the clumsy fool, or its coming out of his wages!
    Masaya turns back to the guards. It's so hard to get good retainers these days, they're all too lazy. I know I ought to beat them, but I'm too kind and gentle. Anyway, we mustn't keep the magistrate waiting. He quickly strides off, calling back exasperatedly to the guards well come on, do you want to keep him waiting? Where does he live, anyway?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

((Were they talking to all of us when they said we should come, or just Masaya?))

Vrishma's nostrils flare briefly, but then he makes an effort to look humble. I will get you for that, Masaya, just you wait, you do.... Yes, oh most resplendent and benevolent master, I shall go to it briefly, I shall. Would you request our presence afterwards, if we find something to tell? he asks calmly, trying to put on his best human-ish behavior and bows, casting a sly wink at Masumi.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, yes, says Masaya over his shoulder, meet me when I get back for breakfast.
    Now hurry up
    he says to the guards.

15. - Top - End - #255

One of the guards clears his throat, looking a tad bewildered.

&quot;If there are more people to your group, Magistrate Takahashi would like to see them all. Your stains, I'm afraid good samurai, will have to wait.&quot;

((Well, we have someone else coming in. I don't know how we're going to get him involved, but we are currently working on it. Hopefully he'll be joining the group soon))

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

What! Masaya steps back. But they are, well. Masaya looks at Masumi and Vrishma as if they are no more than insects. They are Heimin. Well, not the lady, but... he puts his hand over his mouth and whispers, she is of very low birth, barely better. He straightens, and fixes the guards with a curious gaze. Why would his excellency wish to waste his time with them? They are incredibly ignorant, not one of them can read or write. They would only pollute his beautiful house with their smells. Masaya puts on a long-suffering look. I wish I myself did not have to put up with these barbarians, but, he says with a martyred expression, it is my duty as their lord. No, they can sort out this shaman business while I see his excellency. I'm sure I would be able to answer his questions myself. Now, if you won't show me where his house is I'll find it myself. He strides off, head back, pouting, the very soul of a man who has been grievously insulted. He accosts the first townsman he comes across.
    You, heimin. Where is the magistrate's house?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

As Masaya starts walking, Vrishma curls his lips for a moment. While he manages to keep a smile, or at least a grimace close to it, the look he gives him in the first moment is little less than incinerating, and within his sleaves he has his fists clenched.

The INSOLENCE of this man! By Hanuman's tail, if I turn him into a boar no one would know the difference, indeed they won't! Calm down, now, he probably has a reason to not want any of us there... at least I hope so, I do, for his sake. Well, now, let's see what our Scorpion friend wants to say to the human magistrate, we should. Are all samurai here as full of bluster?

He composes himself and, hoping that with Masaya's antics no one has been paying too close attention to him, turns to the guard and gives him a docile look.

This does not look good for us, alas - the master will definitely not be pleased, indeed he won't. Aaah, he is going to tan my hide again... However, if the Magistrate has ordered us to go to him, his wish must be fulfilled. Our companion is still inside the tavern. Could you at least tell us, he adds quietly, why we are being summoned?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

The very low samurai birth woman

Masumi has been rubbing her chin methodically as she looks over the bodies until the guards demand her attention.

But before she can say anything of importance she's cut off by the sneaky Scorpion and you can see a mild look of surprise flutter over her face before her poker face is put back on, watching Masaya the entire time with that countennance and who knows if she's thinking of striking him, yelling at him or just laugh at the affable situation.

However, she strolls up, eager to play along as she passes the guards after Masaya.

Oh dear... I hope Bayushi-sama that you haven't done something naughty again, as with those gamblers or the farmwife...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya raises his eyes to heaven. Huh, the insolence I must put up. Silly woman. Now take my shaman to see this family while I attend to important matters.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma the Smelly

Vrishma looks at Masumi with a faint expression of distaste in his eyes, and when he speaks, there is a mild rebuke in his tone.Now, now, there you go again, miss Masumi, jumping to conclusions. Our lord simply has an eye for the dice, and... well, it was a cold night, that other time.

He looks at the guardsman knowingly, then says Excuse me. I should get the other... er, servant. He turns back and goes back to the inn to get Ikeira ((presuming he's not already here, if he is, Vrishma just goes to him and tells him they are being summoned.))

21. - Top - End - #261
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

ikeira

ikeira follows along silently smoking on his pipe almost mostly unnoticed as always. if it bothers him it never shows.
    This is my BRUTE'S MINICITY

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya looks worried. Look, that was a complete misunderstanding, it's not my fault I'm irresistable to women. And as to the dice, there's nothing wrong with the odd game. It's all a bit of fun! How was I to know that those rogues had spiked my drink, and were using weighted dice!
    Masaya turns with a look of anguish to the guards. Oh please, you won't spread this vile gossip, you wouldn't listen to these lying heimin would you? I wouldn't want the magistrate to think I'm an empty-headed fopp!
    Masaya then seems to notice something on his right hand. He holds it up, peering at his fingers. A look of shock crosses his face. By the Kami! I've broken a fingernail!

23. - Top - End - #263

The guards look at each other, at a loss for words.

&quot;Our orders were to get the samurai and those traveling with him, and bring them all to the magistrate. We don't question his orders, we follow them. Now, all of you will follow us.&quot;

Without another hesitation, they turn on their heels and being marching down the street.

((I must say, that had to have been one of the most amusing exchanges I've had the pleasure of witnessing. The new guy will be joining you at the house of the magistrate))

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

(When I read the top bits of Shaman and Tonberry King's posts, saying the names of their characters Vrishma the Smelly and The Very Low Birth Samurai Woman, I couldn't help but laugh out loud)

Masaya gives a very deep sigh, an expression of defeat on his face. Oh, what will become of me? I know these smelly heimin will embaress me in front of his excellency, and soon the news will be all over the Imperial court. I'll be a laughing stock!Masaya runs after the guards. You won't tell the magistrate about what that lying woman said, about the gambling and the girls, will you? I mean, I know you're his loyal guards, and he probably expects you to tell him everything, but I'm sure you can make an exception? I wouldn't want him to think I'm some foolish noble who knows more about partying than fighting. Remember, I am a noble, I'm better than you, so you ought to protect me from your master by not telling him.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma the Needer of a Thousand Baths

Vrishma simply grins and follows the guards. While he wonders how long this charade will continue, he's actually a little sad they couldn't confuse them a bit more. This would seem like a boring town... Except for the couple that was ripped to shreds, unfortunately.

He shudders, and reminds himself that they should seriously look into this. However, his mind soon drifts to other topics.

Miss Masumi, he nears the woman and speaks quietly, may I have a moment, I ask? I would like to ask you something, I do. Is the path you follow focused only the sword, or have you stepped aside to study the forest's marvels as well?

26. - Top - End - #266

The guards roll their eyes.

&quot;Good samurai, I assure you, I need no help from your &quot;heimins&quot; to convince me that you are a fool noble.&quot;

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya stands back in shock.
    Well, I, I... how rude! Well, just as long as you don't tell his excellency what you think of me.
    Masaya gives a disgracerd humph and goes back to just walking and glowering.

28. - Top - End - #268

&quot;It isn't my business to gossip, samurai. Just to do my job&quot;

Also, just an early FYI (I'll be posting other FYI's from now til November 19th), November 19th I will be incommunicado, awol, mia, however you want to say it. That is the release of the new Nintendo system, the Wii (pronounced we), and I will be busy with it (and the new Zelda) all day long. Just a heads up :P))

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

(Heee)

Masumi once again feigns indifference at the shaman's request, clearly not about to reveal all of her playing cards to the table before she speaks in a low voice.

Such a curious little monkey... I am samurai, if only in title, which should be enough for you. However, I am rightly curious however over this murder and why the magistrate would want to badger us about it...

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

(Pronounced we? Or wee? Or stick another W on and it's WWii. It's a conspiracy!)

Masaya looks triumphant, and says with a condescending smirk I should think so! I can't abide gossips. I mean, I suppose some would say it's your duty to report everything you hear, but I'm glad you know that duty is sometimes less important than doing what we nobles tell you to!