New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Oriental Adventures (Restart)

Masumi seems to keep her pokerface as she looks at Masaya intently with her oddly golden eyes. However, she seems... distant, if not sad to hear about any loss of fellow clansmen.

I've been in the hills, actually, on a ....spiritual quest to hone a sword of a different kind... And ronin aren't known for having many clansmen... She states noncomittedly, washing her hands and then letting some water drop into the twin plaites of hair on either side of her neck, haning down to her solar plexus...

In anycase this is disturbing news, I'm afraid... The last thing I expected...Though I may be needed if sword instructors suddenly come in more demand..."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

ikeira

Ikeira looks over at the self proclaimed ronin and does something he normally doesnt, intrudes on the conversation.
    [tengu]&quot;Did you learn well from our feathery neighbors, or are you one of our feathery neighbors?&quot;[/tengu]
    This is my BRUTE'S MINICITY

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Vrishma's eyes twitter for a moment as he registers the new language. He looks sideways slightly, feigning disinterest - just a strange human speaking a strange language, that's all.

Tengu around here? Strange - there weren't many back in our mountains, certainly, and they were supposed to prefer the Northern lands. Strange, but possible. This woman is a solitary warrior, she is - or seems to be. Not the most cunning disguise, but it could be a passable one.
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

The female ronin turns and blinks. Before he head tilts causing the plaits to sway. What did you just say?..

edit: OOC she has NO idea what you were saying. Not a tengu. :P
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #185

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

[tengu]&quot;Just curious most whom seek the tengu learn their language. If you dont understand what im saying then your just a commoner like me with no family and no honor, or else your good at acting. so are you or are you not tengu?&quot;[/tengu]

((ooc feeding a ton of berries to the tonberryking despite the warning sign of dont feed the tonberry king))

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Masumi can only look confused and a little cross at Ikeira and he's lucky because otherwise she may have struck him down on the spot. She clearly has no idea what he's saying...

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Ronin? I see. Masaya does not seem particularly shocked, or as disapproving as you would expect from a Samurai.
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your full name? Oh, and don't worry about my companion, he's a Wu Jen.

8. - Top - End - #188

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

&quot;It was nothing important, just a couple of phrases that would have made any tengu respond imediately. they do tend to be good swordsmanship instructors, if you can win them over to improving your skill.&quot;

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

&quot;It's better off I didn't tell you, Bayushi-san...and 'let sleeping dogs lie' as it were. And who needs a tengu when you have me?&quot; She laughs humorlessly for a moment.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

((It is about 4 o clock))

The innkeeper brings out your food, still looking slightly uncomfortable, but bows again after setting the food down on the table.

&quot;Just yell if any of you need anything else,&quot; he says.

((And let's not worry too much bout money for rooms, unless you have only a little. It's a few silver pieces for a night, and I forget the money on a supply of trail rations))

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

(I'm the only one who has to worry, as Masumi has absolutely NO money. :P)

12. - Top - End - #192

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

&quot;Oh the tengu arent so bad, once you get past their collective xenophobia and win their trust. What do you think Masaya-san, could we use her skill on the road to see genki? If so you can tell the inkeep we will pay for her nights lodging and food above what she has already traded for, as a gesture of good will of course.&quot;

Ikeira then turns back to the two old timers and buys another round taking one for himself, joining in thier discussions of genki with rumors he remembers.(hey i may have heard some they didnt.)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

I see no reason why not. How about it, Masumi-san, do you wish for an adventure, to develop your swprdsmanship further? We are going to look for an old sage called Genki, and there may be bandits or monsters. What appears to be two scholars and a warrior would be a far more tempting target than two scholars and two warriors.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

&quot;You're being rather charitable to a vagabound you've just met... Masumi adds cautiously before tucking into her food (it may not be noticable but she's holding back just how ravenous she is at the moment...).

...However, I can'tkeep bagging rabbits to pay for expenses, so I shall come with you for at least until I'm stable enough to repay your generosity...&quot;

EDIT: realized half the post was missing and added it. ._.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Frankly it is not charity, we need another blade. My two companions are magic users, with great skills yes, but if we are ambushed by warriors, or perhaps some sort of magic-resistant monster, I would not be able to defend them myself. And as you can see, I wear no armour.
    Masaya smiles.
    Thankyou for agreeing to join us.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Vrishma exchanges a few more words with the innkeeper, before going over to the others' table ((Did he get an answer to his last question?)), bringing a plate with rice and vegetables. As he picks a piece of radish with his fingers, a wide smile grows on his face as his lips part to show snow-white teeth.

Of course, the more the better. We are not so destitute, nor so wicked to shy away from another comrade. Together let us be, united, and achieve great feats we shal, like the five champions of Hanuman. By the way, Masaya - so why don't you wear any armor? You're quick and agile, yes you are, but it can't be that a leather mail would slow you so much. The war-spirits are fickle lot indeed; you never know when your opponent may land a lucky blow.

17. - Top - End - #197

((No, so I'll answer that now))

Vrishma, you find out from the innkeeper that the people most in need of help generally hang out in the town square, not forty feet from the entrance to where you are now.

((If this is all you are doing for now, I'm going to move along. If you want to interact more, by all means do that. Or if you have other things you need to do. Otherwise...))

Will saves for Masaya, Vrishma and Ikeira

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

(I'm done on my end after this...)

I don't wear armor either...Save for these... Masumi taps a brass pair of bracers on her arms with a curvacious form of calligraphy carved out in the form of wards...

I find it to be too bulky and a hassle to keep track of... But I can assure you it's not problem for me.

19. - Top - End - #199

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

willsave 1d20+4=21

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

I do the same. Masaya pulls back the arms of his kimono to show two ornate black bracers, engraved with scorpions and crescent moons.
    With armour, I would be much slower, and my fighting style relies on speed. But yes, it does make me more vulnerable, although not as much as you might think, as I was trained as a monk before I was trained as a Samurai. He turns a curious eye to Masumi. But the fighting style I favour is rather unusual, common only among we Scorpions. Why do you do the same, Masumi? I mean, magical bracers are extremely expensive, you would have to be fantastically rich to be able to afford bracers that give the same protection as great armour. My own bracers give only the same protection as padded leather.

(Will save 19 )

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Vrishma tilts his head in a curious gesture and he strokes his beard. He is chewing another piece of radish in what could, technically, be described as meditative interest, if it wasn't done with half-open mouth.

Monks, you say? Like those strange men who used to train in the nearby valleys, in Dragon lands, you were? Some of them had really interesting pictures on their skin, but the painters must have been strange in the head. You should have seen what passed for a lion among them, you should. Anyway, I thought they weren't allowed to shave their heads, I did. You leave before they would start painting on you, did you?

((Will save: 10 + 5 =15))

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

&quot;Come come, Bayushi-san, you aren't asking a woman to reveal all her secrets, are you? I've found a way around having to use armor, but these nonetheless help me out....

Masumi speaks noncomittedly... You get the feeling that her honor code is keeping her from outright lying to you or leading you astray, but she obviously isn't about to lay all her cards down on the table, as she finishes her meal and goes about pouriung tea for herself (and Masaya...).

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya grins. Perhaps you are secretly a Ninja, Masumi-san!
    (For those of you not too familiar with Rokugan, there isn't actually a Ninja class, but there is a Ninja Spy prestige class. They are however, very rare, they are largely a myth.)
    Vrishma, those were the Dragon monks, not all Monks are the same. The tattooed sect is the most common, but there are many monastic orders all over Rokugan. I was trained in a different one, but then my older brother died, and so my father needed me to become a Samurai.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Vrishma grins, although a little after Masaya's joke. Masaya seems much more gregarious today, indeed he does... I wonder if it is because he is in female company today?. If it's so, we should definitely take her with us, yes we should. I was starting to tire of his sullen mood!

25. - Top - End - #205

((Oh, by all means continue with character interaction. Everyone, you all have very good characters, and thus far it's been quite a privelege to provide you all with this campaign. I hope you are all enjoying it ;D))

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

(What territory are we in, anyway?)

Masumi finishes off her tea and sets down an empty vessel before glancing sidelong at the trio of adventurers...

&quot;So what quest are the three of you on, lately?&quot;

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

To find a sage named Genki, to help us. You see, my companions and I have been infected with a magical disease. Don't worry, it's not contagious. Anyway, this Genki guy was a famous healer, so we're going to try and find him, if he's still alive. He was last seen at an old temple, about 4 days walk from here, in the mountains. Apparently, there's a guy around here who can take us there, Nobu-something. So we're going to get him to take us to this old temple.
    Masaya grimaces.
    But as I said, who knows what sort of monsters dwell in the mountains. Could be Yetis, or something. So that's where you and your sword come in. Anyway, you still haven't explained about the whole armour thing. It's just comfort? Of course, you are a woman he says with a grin, but it seems odd to risk your life for comfort. I still think you must be a ninja! That would explain why you won't tell us anything about yourself.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Vrishma scratches his chin, giving Masaya a pondering look. I can't believe that out of so many warriors we couldn't meet one who didn't like to be a little protected, I can't. Am I the only one who sometimes worries about his safety?

What's the deal with you and ninjas, Masaya? The humans that came to our village up in the North sometimes mentioned them, indeed they did, but I always thought they were just superstitions, or oni. Are you implying miss Masumi is some kind of a monster?
    he says with a wink.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

You would think that the 'disease' threat, however unlikely would have bothered Masumi but she keeps a rather even looking expression on her face.

&quot;You don't say... Well, it's a cause worth enough to warrant my joining you but if you infect any student I may try to pick up I'll be quite cross... And please, Bayushi-san, do not ask me again; there's nothing more I'll say of my armaments, save but that I am no ninja.&quot;

She actually seems a little bit irked at being considered such, but doesn't mention it... verbally.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma, I'm just teasing her. Ninjas are a story, they are apparently these stealthy warriors who can walk up walls, spit poison, go invisible, and so on. Anyway, Masumi-san, if you don't want to discuss it then we won't. I'm sure that you understand I just need to be sure that you'll be an effective fighter.