Doombringer
    |
    Cleric
    |
    Moon Elf
    [/table]

And so we begin
    The Secret of Trottelburg

The nation of Bohrenvolk is a small peninsula lying at the northwest segment of the Great Continent. Covered in dense temperate forests, and guarded by a great mountain range to the east and south, it is scarcely populated and difficult to navigate. However, it also lies at a unique intersection of the world's ley-lines, causing heavy magical radiation and dimensional distortion. This unusual effect has spawned numerous rumors about the contents of the nation, be they valuable treasure, dangerous monsters to fight or great magical powers.

You, for your own reasons, have decided to journey into Bohrenvolk. It is a long journey through the woods, and the spring air is crisp but cold. However, just as your rations begin to run low, you are fortunate to discover a small town in a clearing. It is surrounded by a somewhat shabby red brick fence, and the wooden sign at the entrance lists the town name as Trottelburg.

At the porch of a small thatched house by the front gate is a large portly man with a thick black beard, wearing a brown wool coat and an ushanka. Upon realizing that you are there, he stares awkwardly for a few moments, and then grins wildly, standing up to greet you.

"Greetings, my friends! I am Boris, the Burgomeister of this small town. You must forgive my surprise, but it is so rare that we receive guests in Trottelburg. But please, come in. It would be my honor to show you hospitality."
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-07-23 at 08:48 AM.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Secret of Trottelburg IC

A tall elf with long white hair stops and looks at the Burgomeister. She is wearing worn leather armour and practical clothes suitable for traveling. Her dark blue cloak has a little mud on itself. In her right hand she carries a long spearlike weapon that has apparently been used as a walking stick. The look on her face is cold and emotionless, but she nods a polite greeting.

"Greetings and thank you, herr Burgomeister. But I must inquire, is there not an inn or tavern in this town? Or do you, as you mentioned, truly have so few guests that you don't consider that to be necessary?"
    Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusFabrius View Post
    Well, it gives my self-esteem a leg up over the wall of insecurity. It doesn't stop my sense of embarrassment from hiding in the corner in the foetal position with a bottle of some unspeakable substance.
    Rhenner Calami, my sarcastic combat medic and bookworm, avatar by CoffeeIncluded, many thanks!
    Stiira, a shy halfling witch.

DMing: Noncivilized World: Message in a Dream

I have a DeviantArt account, yay...
    New content on 17.9.2014

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A large muscular man, his head clean shaven and a large axe slung on his shoulder, approached the gate at about the same time as the Elf, albeit by a different path. There was a serious and determined look in his grey eyes as he bowed in respect to the burgomaster, then nodded politely at the other traveler.

Greetings herr Boris, I am Telim Anar, a traveling priest. Why is it that you have no visitors? Seems to be a very hospitable place.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Meeka Ori

A person wearing a wolf's head mask and holding a longspear resting on her right shoulder walks to the gate. As she gets closer, you can notice an strong odor. She is wearing leather armor and bulky fur gloves. She walks very close to Telim.

"Hello Telim. It is nice to meet a priest. My name is Meeka Ori," she says. Saliva dribbles out of her mouth as she speaks. Large, crooked yellow teeth appear to get in the way of her speech. She waves at the Burgomeister and the tall elf with one furred hand.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Randolf Grennal

From out of the looming shadows of the tall trees around Trottelburg comes the sound of someone whistling a fairly popular bardic ditty followed shortly by a small halfling. The glint of something metallic clues you in on the fact that the halfling seems to be juggling a sharp looking dagger in one hand - and nonchalantly at that! As the halfling approaches the gate and the small crowd of people there he briefly stops as if startled. Quickly he recovers and approaches the group with a big grin on his face.

"I am not sure how you knew of my arrival, but it is truely a sight for sore eyes that your burg sends out a welcoming committee for me! But I must confess I am weary from my journey and wish to rest before beginning any sort of performance."

Turning to the burgomaster, "Kind sir, if you could direct me to my dressing room that would be fantastic..."
    Last edited by MarvinMartian; 2010-06-14 at 01:05 AM.
    Gerdy in Who wants to Live Forever?
    Randolf Grennal in The Secret of Trottelburg
    Tristan Islodod in Eberron Noir

I am a NG Human So5 Str:14;Dex:15;Con:14;Int:15;Wis:13;Cha:14 according to this survey.

6. - Top - End - #6

Seemingly unfazed by this spectacle, Boris picks up a large mug filled with some foul-smelling brew and takes a massive gulp. He nonchalantly hands Meeka a handkerchief, while turning to address the rest of the adventurers.

"Ah! You see, the problem lies not in the fact that we are not a prosperous town, for as a matter of fact, we quite are. Rather, it's a sad but simple fact that we are in the dead center of the Hexenwold Forest, which makes it difficult to find our location."

Realizing that he is probably not doing the best job to promote tourism, he changes tactics.

"Still, our little town has a thriving trade in the harvesting of river hogs, and we have near constant trade with nearby villages."

In spite of this, there appears to be no sign of visitors other than yourself. Boris is about to continue, but is interrupted by a voice from the crowd. Emerging from it is a small female halfling. She is young-middled aged, with light brown hair in a hastily tied ponytail, and a round, peach-shaped face. Her left arm is in a splint.

She walks over to the group, and shakes everyone's hand. Then, seemingly loosing track of who's hand she has shaken already, she goes back and does it again.

"Marissa's the name. Marissa Delbrook. How d'ya do? I'm the owner of this here town's own little inn. It's a little cozy, but I think it will do."

Boris seems rather offput by Marissa's interuption, but before he can comment, she begins to lead the group off down a brick road to the left. As you walk, you see a number of the town's buildings; a schoolhouse, a number of shops, a grocery. Most are unnocupied, do to Randolf's attention grabbing entrance. However, the booth near a tailor shop seems be occupied. On closer inspection, the tailor is a small bald man. He is quite pail, and very thin. He holds his head down. Marissa approaches him.

"Hey Ignatius, you doing ok?"

Ignatius lets out a groan of acknowledgment.

"Well, you try and take care, alright?"

As they pass him, Marissa continues.

"Poor dear. He's been sick all week. Maybe I will bake him a cake or something. I'm afraid that it's been a rough time for most of us here, what with the river drying up, and that illness going around. That new burgomeister seems to be trying to help, but he's just so dang cheerful all the time, it weirds me out."

They approach the inn. It is another old wooden building, but seems to be in impeccably good condition, with every single plank of wood and nail in place, and the grass neatly cut.

"Well, this is the ole place. It's not much, but try and make yourselves at home. Since you just got here, I'm afraid I won't have time to prepare dinner for you, but I'll try and have a nice breakfast ready in the morning. Anyway, if there is anything you need to ask, I'm happy to help."
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-06-14 at 11:15 AM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGirl

Telim Anar

Uhm, hello Meeka, pleasure to meet you.

Telim takes a step back. Not to be outdone, his tense smile also exposes some crooked teeth, although he doesn't smell as bad as Meeka.

Along the way to the inn, he seems amused by the juggling halfling's antics, but pays more attention to their jolly halfling guide.

What kind of disease is this? Can you please tell us more about it? Prevention is half the cure, as they say.

8. - Top - End - #8

Marissa responds sympathetically.

"I'd tell you more if I could, but I'm no doctor or anything. It's just that a lot of the people have been falling ill; getting all pale and sickly like Ignatius, you saw earlier. Just a few weeks back, our old Burgomeister passed away. That's why Boris replaced him. I'm not too familar with Boris, he moved to town just about a year ago. I'm told he has a high list of credentials with Burgomeistery, but like I said, I don't know him that well."

"As to the sickness, I guess I've just been lucky as to avoiding it. Idunno, maybe the fact that I broke my arm's made me need to sit in and rest more, so I haven't caught it."

She shrugs, and opens the door to the inn. It is a small wooden cottage, with a patterned rug, and a staircase leading up to a small row of doors. Just like the outside, the inside of the inn is absolutely neat and spotless.
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-06-14 at 11:40 AM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your inn looks very pleasant", the elf says "May I ask what are your prices? I'd like to know in advance how much I will be expected to pay. And do you happen to know if there is any work for a warrior in this town? And I am sorry, I seem to have forgotten to introduce myself earlier, my name is Irethírra Wier."
    Last edited by CWater; 2010-06-14 at 03:01 PM.
    Well, it gives my self-esteem a leg up over the wall of insecurity. It doesn't stop my sense of embarrassment from hiding in the corner in the foetal position with a bottle of some unspeakable substance.
    Rhenner Calami, my sarcastic combat medic and bookworm, avatar by CoffeeIncluded, many thanks!

New content on 17.9.2014

10. - Top - End - #10

Flumph

Meeka Ori

She takes the burgomeister's handkerchief and sniffs it over carefully. "Thank you!" She happily ties the handkerchief around the shaft of her longspear.

"Pleased to meet you," Meeka replies to Irethirra.

When she gets a chance, Meeka asks Marissa, "It sounds like your town is going through some hard times. Why has the river dried up?"

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateCaptain

Randolf Grennal

Apparently having drawn a crowd with his simple wrist exercises, Randolf is more than flattered to have drawn a small gathering. Spontaneously he decides to show the villagers a few of his more "showy" moves.

Randolf withdraws two more daggers from his bandoleer and attempts to juggle 4 daggers simultaneously.

Spoiler
    Show

Probably a sleight of hand skill check -
    (1d20+7)[3](10)

When Marissa introduces herself, Randolf responds "Nice to meet you miss, my name is Randolf, Randolf Grennal."

Followed by a quick and friendly wink.

As the other visitors move towards the inn, Randolf follows continuing to juggle his daggers.

I am a NG Human So5 Str:14;Dex:15;Con:14;Int:15;Wis:13;Cha:14 according to this survey.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGirl

Looking at the halfling juggle the knives, Telim shakes his head. Seems like his healing services will soon be needed. But for now, he has a different task to attend to. Dropping the heavier part of his gear in the tavern, he goes back to the ill man he saw before.

Hello, good man. Ignatius, is it? My name is Telim Anar, and I have some knowledge in the healing arts. Would you object if I examined you? It might help you feel better.

Assuming the man doesn't object, Telim will examine him carefully and try to identify the disease, be it natural or magical.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check (1d20+1)[17]
    Knowledge(Religion) check (1d20+4)[21]
    Spellcraft check (1d20+4)[20]

If the examination doesn't produce any results, Telim will cast Cure Minor Wounds on the man and observe the response. If at any time during the proceedings the man objects to any of this, Telim doesn't insist.

13. - Top - End - #13

Marissa blushes lightly at Raldolf's actions, but then proceeds to stair at her feet and say nothing else of it.

She is about to hand the group their room keys, but at Telim's insistence to go help the sickly tailor, she let's him go. She continues to address the rest of the group.

"Well Ireth..Ithirri.."She stumbles over Irethírra's name, but continues, "...Irethírra, it's very kind to meet you. That's certainly a pretty name. Where are you from?"

ooc
    Spoiler
    Show
    CWater, you're welcome to think of a name for your character's homeland. I tend to get placenames by running related words through a translator, but whatever suits you, suits you.

"Anyway, we here at Trottelburg would like to make a good impression on travelers, so the first night here is on the house. If you plan to stay further, I'm sure we can work something out."

She turns to face Meeka. She seems to be a little off put by Meeka's shabby appearance, but tries her best to be polite.

"It is hard, y'know? We've had to ration the water from our wells, and we can't fish for any more river-ham, so our trade with the neighboring villages has gone all wonky. But yeah, starting a few months ago, the river started to just gradually go dry. We sent a few men up to go investigate, but they didn't come back. Ever since then, they's been all sorts of terrible rumors as to the cause, from giant monsters, to that witch who supposedly lives to the east. But since then, we've all just been too scared to go look.

---

Telim arrives at hastily at the tailor's shop. He acts to greet the tailor, but the man who responds is not Ignatius. Instead, a portly man with a thick black beard, wearing an ushanka and drinking from a large mug is there. He speaks.

"Greetings my friend! I am Boris, the tailor. How can I help you today?"
    Campaign:

Characters:

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGirl

I could have sworn you were a burgomaster not too long ago. Never mind. Have you seen the sick man, Ignatius?

15. - Top - End - #15

Boris chuckles.

"Ah, you mean Boris the Burgomeister. We share the same name, but it is simple coincidence."

He seems to think hard.

"Ignatius? I'm afraid the name does not ring a bell. I have worked in this shop all my life, and have never met anyone near here with that name."
    Campaign:

Characters:

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGirl

Telim examines the tailor carefully. Does he seem to be the same man as Boris the Burgomeister, or do they merely have similar visual attributes (portly, ushanka, etc), but are different people?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check (1d20+1)[4]
    Sense Motive (1d20+1)[9]

Regardless of the results, he figures continuing the conversation is pointless at this time.

Ah, my mistake then. I'll be off.

Telim returns to the tavern to share this interesting encounter with his newly-found friends.

17. - Top - End - #17

If there is any visual difference between the Burgomeister and this new tailor, Telim cannot tell. They both have the same square face, curly black beard, and portly belly. However, Boris the tailor does not seem to indicate that this is the case.

Boris waves brightly as Telim makes his leave.

"Have a good day, my friend! If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know."
    Campaign:

Characters:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

When Marissa asks about her home, Irethírra's cool mask shakes a little and a sign off sadness runs across her face. The expression, however, disappears as quickly as it came.
    "I...My people lives on mountains far away from here. They established a small kingdom close to the mountaintops many centuries ago, though I know not if Thúrderrmuil still stands today, since I have not been there in...many years now."

Irethírra stares at the distance for a moment and her lips move slightly, but no sound can be heard.

Then she seems to remember where she is and her faces returns to that of a statue. She continues, perhaps in a little colder tone:
    "I would be glad to help you, if I possibly can, with any troubles your village has. We can speak more of it tomorrow. Now if you excuse me, I am tired of travelling and would like to retire to my room."

Spoiler
    Show
    Due to her many years of travelling, Irethírra has no noticeable accent, except that her "r"'s that are a leetle stronger.

New content on 17.9.2014

19. - Top - End - #19

Marissa gives a sympathetic smile.

"Well Irethírra, you have pleasant dreams, ok? I think I'l be heading off to bed soon myself."

She hands Irethírra her room key and points her in the right direction, then turns to face Meeka.

"Well...er...Miss, I don't believe I got your name. Would you be nodding off as well, or world you care to stay up and talk a bit still?"

And to Randolf:

"And you sir, it's rather rare that we get other halflings in these parts. I'd certainly like to hear your tale."

---

Irethírra's room is small but cozy. It contains a large bed with a heavy knitted quilt, a throwrug with the same pattern as the quilt, and a small dresser for story possessions. A good place for a night's rest.

Or it would be, if not for the disconcerting item lying in the center of the floor. A note, with words more etched than written, stating;

LEAVE WHILE YOU CAN
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-06-15 at 08:54 PM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Irethírra walks into the room locking the door behind her and picks up the note. She silently stares it for a moment.
    Is this supposed to be a warning or a threat? She wonders. Or both? Who could have placed it so quickly? I have just arrived. Is it even meant for me? Then again, that other halfling caused such a commotion that probably the whole town nows by know that a bunch of strangers have arrived.

Still deep in her thoughts, Irethírra puts down her backpack, takes off her cloak and sits on the bed holding the note in her hand.

And undoubtedly they are going to assume that we belong to the same group, even if I have nothing to do with them. Well, I won't run away so easily, if this note now was indeed meant for me. I might have lost my honour, but I've still got my pride.

(Unless anyone disturbes her, Irethírra takes off her armour and, after a while, goes to sleep.)

New content on 17.9.2014

21. - Top - End - #21

Everybody except CWater:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is an identical note in all of your rooms.
    Campaign:

Characters:

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGirl

Upon returning to his room in the inn and seeing the note, Telim realizes the people in this town ... aren't right. He'd rather trust the ones who came from the outside. He seeks out the rooms of the other guests, at least those who are awake and willing to listen, tells his story, and asks what they think about it.

The sick man was gone. And the tailor, he looked just like the Burgomast...meister, like two drops of water. He was the Burgomeister. Same name, same face, same everything. And yet he insisted he's not. Looks like this town has gone mad. What do you make of it?

If it seems everyone's gone to sleep by now, he instead hits the sack as well, weapon close at hand.

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateCaptain

Randolf, slowly following behind the other visitors to this quaint burg, stops just shy of the entrance to the inn. With a final flourish for the small crowd of locals he sheathes his twirling daggers one-by-one, and with a small smile of pleasure at their approval he sweeps a bow and says -

Gentle folk of Trottelburg, I fear the long journey has left me weary and clumsy in my performance this evening and must therefore bid you all goodnight. Perhaps on the morrow I can be persuaded to show you more...

Turning he enters the inn.

Seeing that some of the others are retiring for the night and that the innkeep is a fellow halfling of the female persuasion, Randolf decides to stay awake a while longer and chat with Marissa.

The chat with Marissa
    Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: [vroll]1d20+1[/vroll]
    Knowledge(Local): [vroll]1d20+1[/vroll]

Randolf is most interested in the rumors circulating about the cause of the well drying up. Do other villages in the area, namely those they traded with, happen to be suffering from similar set backs? Is this a localized phenomenon? Where were the men headed that disappeared? Upstream or towards the east were the witch lives?

When Telim returns, Randolf will ask what the tall priest discovered when he examined the sickly man.
    Last edited by MarvinMartian; 2010-06-16 at 05:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

Meeka Ori

Meeka nods enthusiastically at Marissa. Trying to keep the saliva in check, she sputters,

My name's Meeka. Your inn is nice.

She listens to Randolf while he chats, then retires to her room.

When Telim tells her about the sick man and the burgomeister, she says,

"There is something wrong here. Would you like to go back and look for Ignatius tonight?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Irethírra is just about to fall asleep start trancing when Telim knocks on her door. Now what? She thinks, being a little irritated. However, she gets up and walks to the door. "What?" She asks without opening it.

Assuming that Telim now tells his story and that she can also hear Meeka's response, Irethírra says:

"That is indeed worrying. I wonder what the innkeeper would say if you told her that, she seemed sane enough. But if you are going to look for this Ignatious, I could also come along. It is not like I could rest peacefully anymore, even though I am tired."

If the others agree, she adds: "Wait a moment, I will fetch my gear."

New content on 17.9.2014

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGirl

Telim

I'm not against going to look for Ignatius, but only if you have a better idea than knocking on doors randomly.

27. - Top - End - #27

Marissa explains to Randolf and Meeka,

"When I say 'neighboring' villages, it's really just a matter of speaking. They're all around a month's trip away on foot, and with the river-hogs gone, we simply don't have the expenses to pack for something like that. As for the men, they went upstream to investigate the source of the river, of course. The witch is just a silly legend. I don't believe in any of that nonsense, myself."

Marissa yawn's deeply, and announces that she will be turning in for the night. She exits to her room.

---

Telim arrives back at the inn and explains what he had found at the tailor's shop. Just as the others are expressing their concern and confusion at this bizarre turn of events, a small voice from the rafters sighs and exclaims;

"Well, I asked you to leave. But if you insist on staying, I suppose I can help."
    Campaign:

Characters:

28. - Top - End - #28

Flumph

Meeka Ori

How about we go to the tailor's shop and look around?

Spot (1d20+5)[14] Listen (1d20+1)[15]

When the voice speaks from the rafters, Meeka looks up and around, grabbing her club.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGirl

Telim looks around and up for the source of the voice. Help with what? Show yourself!

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+1)[6]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Irethírra comes out of her room, sees that the others are glancing upwards and tries to see what they are looking for. "What is it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+2)[13]

New content on 17.9.2014