New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Secret of Trottelburg IC

Meeka picks up the sick woman and carries her inside.

Extraplanar entities like mind flayers taking over the town and turning them into Boris by feeding them brew. This woman has taken the brew and is sick. Can you help her?

2. - Top - End - #122

The scientist points in Meeka's direction and addresses the machine-man as she exits to aid the sick woman.

"01-X, go help her, will you?"

With a sigh, the metal man gets up from the birdcage, and begrudgingly speaks,

"Yeah...ok dad."

01-X accompanies Meeka to the front yard. While walking, he seems utterly fascinated by her various Incarnum artifacts, agog is silent surprise. Eventually, as he helps her with the woman, he asks,

"Um...Is it ok if I ask what that is?" gesturing towards her helm. He has a solid voice that echos slightly out of the speaker on his face.

---

Once they return to the room, Professor Eisenhardt lays the woman on a table and begins examining her, opening her eyes, looking in mouth, taking blood and skin samples. He listens to Meeka's explanation, and as brief as it is, he seems enthralled by it.

"Innnnnnnnteresting. Yes. In all my years of study, I have never seen anyzing like zis before. As far as I can tell, it seems to be some sort of extradimensional virus zat is plaguing zis poor woman. Now, could you get me some of zis 'brew' as you call it? I wish to examine it for further study. If I have a better understanding of what it is and how it functions, perhaps I could synthesize an antidote."
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-06-26 at 03:39 PM.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

"That can be arranged" Irethírra replies, she's leaning against one of the walls (assuming there is enough room to do so with all the mechanical devices). "But do you have any knowledge of what these beings are? They are certainly not a common sight in this world, and I wish it to remain so."
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #124

Flumph

Meeka

To 01-X she replies,

It's okay. It is a mask of the unrelenting winter wolf, whose touch carries the cold of winter. I shaped it from my soul energy by thinking about becoming a winter wolf.

Looking at Irethirra, she says,

"The Boris that we fought in the sick woman's house, it acted like it was talking to others. Should we look for samples of brew close by?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

We could try heading back to where we found the woman... She was being fed some sort of gruesome substance. Perhaps that is what we are looking for? Pitty that the place is probably crawling with more Boris virus things by now...

Now that I think about it searching another house might be a smarter idea!
    Gerdy in Who wants to Live Forever?
    Randolf Grennal in The Secret of Trottelburg
    Tristan Islodod in Eberron Noir

I am a NG Human So5 Str:14;Dex:15;Con:14;Int:15;Wis:13;Cha:14 according to this survey.

6. - Top - End - #126

Professor Eisenhardt contemplates;

"Now, if zese 'Boris's' as you call them, need the fluid to reproduce themselves, surely they must have large supplies of it on hand. Perhaps you might use ze distraction you may have caused in rescuing zis poor woman to steal a container of the stuff from an unoccupied house?"

01-X seems excited at the prospect of a stealth mission.

"Oh! I can help. I'm pretty strong, and if you catch the creatures' attention, perhaps I could act as a distraction, or something along those lines."

"No, no.", responds Eisenhardt. "It is far too dangerous. You are better off aiding me in ze lab."

01-X is recalcitrant.

"But father, I am inorganic, so I would likely be unaffected by the monsters' conversion process. Please. I need to help these people somehow."

note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would anyone like to temporarily play as 01-X if I write up a character sheet for him?
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-06-28 at 09:53 AM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Telim

It's very noble of you, 01-X, to suggest this help. But the final decision whether you can go or not rests with your father.

Telim turns to his friends,
    And I agree that we're better off going to another house rather than returning to where we fought Boris.

8. - Top - End - #128

Flumph

Meeka

Meeka walks to the door, then stops.

How would we tell if it's an unoccupied house?

Spoiler
    Show
    I can run 01-X if we need him in the group. I will have a hard time talking in character with both characters.

9. - Top - End - #129

PirateCaptain

Randolf

Well...um...I do have some abilities that might help in that area. I can probably sneak into a house without anyone detecting me.

I could always signal for assistance if the need should arise.

I am a NG Human So5 Str:14;Dex:15;Con:14;Int:15;Wis:13;Cha:14 according to this survey.

10. - Top - End - #130

Griffon

Irethírra

"Really?" Irethírra raises her eyebrows when she hears Randolf mention about his burglar skills. After a moment of silence the elf continues: "Well, I suppose it serves the greater good in this matter. Those monsters might indeed turn out to be quite of a threat to this small town." You can hear how her tone has changed from cold to downright freezing.
    Last edited by CWater; 2010-06-29 at 12:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

PirateCaptain

Randolf bristles at Iretherra's tone and replies with equal coolness in his tone,
    Well I was part of my towns defense team against the local kobold menance. You know you learn a thing a two when entering a kobold infested mine. How to find and disable their filthy traps and sneak down a tunnel or two in the dark.

12. - Top - End - #132

NecromancerGirl

Telim

Dear friends, we have a task of utmost importance. Now is not the time to compare moral standards.

13. - Top - End - #133

Professor Eisenhardt seems totally ignorant of the argument going on in his home. He exclames, with a certain degree of glee,

"Ah espionage! How exciting. I do zink I may be of some help to you zere."

He runs off, rummaging through the various piles of machinery strewn throughout his house, before returning with several items.

"Ah, I'm so pleased zat my inventions can finally be put to proper use! Here, let me show you how zey work."

He holds up what appear to be an ordinary bellows.

"Zis device contains a special gas. When released, it will zettle in the immediate area, and obscure the vision of anyone trying to find you."

He now holds up what seems to be a round ball with a nozzle attached.

"Now zis one, it contains a special fast acting glue. Simply spray it at your assailant's feet, and he shall be stuck in place! Haha!" He poses dramatically.

Next is a pair of boots, with some a series of numerous thin fibers on the soul, and small bits of wiring connecting to a button on the ankle area.

"Zis one is rather cool. Put them on, and once activated, they shall allow you to literally climb the walls!"

The last device is a small cylinder, roughly the size of a compass. It is featureless, except for a thin spike on one end, and a grey button on the other.

"An zis one, zis one is my favorite. Let me demonstrate." He places the device on the floor, piercing the spike through the floorboards. He presses the button, and then pulls the device back upwards. The wooden floor warps and stretches like taffy, being pulled up with the device, until it is formed into a shape loosely resembling a simple table.

"As you can zee, ze device integrates and redistributes the fibrous structure of the wood, allowing you to shape it in any manner you please.

He finally hands all of the items off to the group.

"Ah, but you do not care about technobabble. You have work to do. Go, and good luck!"

He turns to 01-X

Now you, you are not going anywhere. It is much too dangerous out there, and I need assistance in studying the patient. Now, come, help me with ze microscope.

01-X seems despondent, but listens, and goes off into the back of the room with Professor Eisenhardt to go examine the sick woman.

As for the items, they function as such:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Smoke Bellows: Produces the effect of a Fog Cloud spell. Duration: 10 min per use.
    Glue Organ: Produces the effect of a Web spell. Duration: 10 min per use.
    Filament Boots: Grants the wearer the effect of the Spider Climb spell. Duration: 10 min per activation.
    Wood Warper: Produces the effect of a Wood Shape spell.
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-06-29 at 03:42 PM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

14. - Top - End - #134

Flumph

Meeka

Meeka watches the disagreement worriedly and nods enthusiastically at Telim's words.

W-wonderful inventions, Meeka sputters. She stands over the inventions and slowly gathers them up and gives them to whoever will take them. "Maybe we can use this wood shaper to make a hole in a wall quietly."

15. - Top - End - #135

Griffon

Irethírra

The elf still looks slightly irritated, but doesn't say another word. She seems to be ready to leave the house.

Spoiler
    Show
    What is the area of effect for Glue Organ?

16. - Top - End - #136

It is now past 2 in the morning. The night is increasingly cold, and there slightly foggy. There are three possible roads to go down. The one to the left along the city walls where you initially came from, one to the right against the walls, and one to the center, leading right into the middle of town.

Spoiler
    Show
    The glue organ when used shoots a stream of glue that replicates the effect of a Web spell. The description from the SRD is as follows (Consider the duration as just being for 10 minutes):

Web
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Effect: Webs in a 20-ft.-radius spread
    Duration: 10 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text
    Spell Resistance: No

Web creates a many-layered mass of strong, sticky strands. These strands trap those caught in them. The strands are similar to spider webs but far larger and tougher. These masses must be anchored to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points or else the web collapses upon itself and disappears. Creatures caught within a web become entangled among the gluey fibers. Attacking a creature in a web won’t cause you to become entangled.

Anyone in the effect’s area when the spell is cast must make a Reflex save. If this save succeeds, the creature is entangled, but not prevented from moving, though moving is more difficult than normal for being entangled (see below). If the save fails, the creature is entangled and can’t move from its space, but can break loose by spending 1 round and making a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 25 Escape Artist check. Once loose (either by making the initial Reflex save or a later Strength check or Escape Artist check), a creature remains entangled, but may move through the web very slowly. Each round devoted to moving allows the creature to make a new Strength check or Escape Artist check. The creature moves 5 feet for each full 5 points by which the check result exceeds 10.

If you have at least 5 feet of web between you and an opponent, it provides cover. If you have at least 20 feet of web between you, it provides total cover.

The strands of a web spell are flammable. A magic flaming sword can slash them away as easily as a hand brushes away cobwebs. Any fire can set the webs alight and burn away 5 square feet in 1 round. All creatures within flaming webs take 2d4 points of fire damage from the flames.

Web can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent web that is damaged (but not destroyed) regrows in 10 minutes.
    Campaign:

Characters:

17. - Top - End - #137

Flumph

Meeka

She pauses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Were there houses close by on the left path? int or wis check (1d20)[19]

18. - Top - End - #138

Looking ahead, the largest density of houses seems to be in the center path. The left path, at least for the part where you had traveled alongside the city wall, is still in the town outskirts, and relatively unpopulated. Aside from the scientist, there are few houses, and they are tiny, sparse buildings.

The same is true of the right path, although marginally more so. Then again, you had not been down that path, so if you make another turn, who knows?
    Campaign:

Characters:

19. - Top - End - #139

NecromancerGirl

I don't think it's safe to go back into the deeply populated area. Who knows how many Borises lurk there. Left or right, what will it be? The path we've already been through, or a new one?

20. - Top - End - #140

PirateCaptain

Randolf

I say we go right. Left will lead us back towards the area were the Boris's are - and are still probably looking for us.
    Last edited by MarvinMartian; 2010-07-01 at 12:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Flumph

Meeka

Good p-point. Right sthounds better.

22. - Top - End - #142

You head down the right path, alongside the short brick wall. Unlike the pristine nature of most of the town, this part is rather shabby. The grass is long and unkempt, the ancient mortar holding the bricks together is crumbling to pieces. The buildings are few and far between, and what ones there are, are barely held together wooden shacks, long abandoned. Each one is dark, with a layer of dust and cobwebs that suggests that they have not been lived in in some time.

That is, except for one small house, who's formally boarded windows are now clear, with a faint warm light shining through them. It is still coldly silent, but it is nonetheless apparent that this house has occupants.
    Campaign:

Characters:

23. - Top - End - #143

Flumph

Meeka

She slows down and carefully walks closer to the house.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Hide and Move Silently, 15 and 12.
    Last edited by Parlity; 2010-07-02 at 01:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

PirateCaptain

Randolf

Randolf creeps after Meeka.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also taking 10 on move and hide
    Move silent: 19
    Hide: 21
    Last edited by MarvinMartian; 2010-07-02 at 05:31 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Flumph

Meeka

She stops 30' from the house, holding her spear ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stopping as close to the house as safely hidden/silent.

26. - Top - End - #146

NecromancerGirl

Telim

Not having any experience in stealth, Telim keeps to the back of the group. He keeps his axe is ready, however.

27. - Top - End - #147

Griffon

Irethírra

The elf stays with Telim, holding her ritiik ready. She keeps a close eye on Randolf's and Meeka's advancement towards the house, assuming it is possible from her location.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+2)[20]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[7]
    I like rolling, even if the result is sometimes bad

28. - Top - End - #148

You approach the house alongside the short wooden wall to the left of the front door. The house remains silent, and there seems to be no reaction to your activities. The candlelight from the windows remains dim but steady.

Irethírra:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you near the house, you swear for a second that you see the dim for a split second, as if a human shaped figure has passed in front of the window.
    Campaign:

Characters:

29. - Top - End - #149

Flumph

Meeka

She around as she stops. Nudging Randolf, she points out a good spot to hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another hide (1d20+5)[16] +2 to Randolf's hide, move silently (1d20+2)[6]
    Last edited by Parlity; 2010-07-02 at 01:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

Griffon

Irethírra

Not being sure what she saw, Irethírra hesitates for a moment, but puts then away her ritiik and picks up the bow instead.
    "I advice you to be alert" She says to Telim. "Someone in there might be awake."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling again in case it is needed
    Spot: (1d20+2)[10]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[10]