New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Under the Sun

(( The most direct path to the road combined with getting as high as possible, your current direction of flight, and the fact that ascending means half-speed is gonna have you end up just under the Dragon. And she's got a long enough neck that getting"as high as possible" will provoke an attack of opportunity. Of course, with a modified trajectory, "as high as possible" actually puts you at the same level as the Dragon rather than just under her.

Since I assume you're trying your hardest to get to the same altitude as the Dragon, I figure you wanted to prioritize height over getting to the road. Likewise, in keeping with "avoiding any obvious hazards" bit about how I adjucate movement, I assume you want to avoid any AoOs. So I currently have Tamboc down in a position just northwest and out of the reach of the Dragon at the moment. If this is about right, just let me know. I'm not gonna have time to throw in the actions of all those NPCs that come after you for another couple hours, so that'll give ya time to see and respond to this before their actions give too much away. ;) ))
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was thinking something like this:

That should keep me out of the dragon's reach. If I have to sacrifice a few feet of height, that's okay.

If that doesn't work, your plan is fine, too.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Um, since I won't have an opportunity to post later today, I'll give my charge rolls now. I don't know what the bonuses are or how many attacks I'm allowed so I'll give the regular rolls, and you can modify them. maul, maul, claw

Maul: 1st (1d20+15=34, 2d8+8=18)
    Maul: 2nd (1d20+10=16, 2d8+8=15)
    Claw: 3rd (1d20+9=15, 1d6+7=13)
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Right. That's the path I was working on. It's just that being reduced to half speed during your ascent only gets you about a quarter of the way on that arc you drew. As to tracking the spell duration, I'm exceeding necessity by keeping track of the 9-minute long bless. I don't think this is gonna last an hour.))

Tianna blasts another couple magic missiles at another archer dropping him. (Elation down to 2 rounds, bless down to 88. ))

As Tamboc tries to circle around the Dragon, the Dragon spins around and grabs at Squaw with her jaws. But instead of biting down, the Dragon just grabs onto Squaw's wing and violently pulls down, disrupting her flight (Flying Trip Defensive Roll (1d20+9=16)). Squaw stalls and begins to fall as the Dragon moves on. (( On Tamboc's next turn, Squaw can attempt a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise she'll hit the ground, and each of you will take 40 falling damage. ))

The large construct moves to the door to Azadeth's tower, ready to confront the wemic behind it.

Three Wemics on the field continue to chase Mab's rainbow. Wemics near Azadeth's tower continue to sleep. The Wemic in the cloud charges forward in a blind rage and leaps at the wall where Quintar stands, but is unable to grab onto the top of the wall, missing by about 4 feet. The Wemic in Azadeth's tower roars and lashes out at the construct with his axe and claw, but is unable to penetrate the tough stone of the manufactured warrior.

Seeing Squaw and Tamboc spin out of control, Mab curses and quickly downs another healing potion as she braces herself for some major trouble against the Dragon.

(( Map Updated. ))

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Rarity's number one admirer!
    Click on the dragon eggs to help them hatch and grow, or get some for yourself!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Oops. I missed the five-foot step in your last post. I guess I don't need to update the map for this one now. ;)

Anyway, the +2/every 2 caster levels applies to the attack roll, so that means you hit AC 35.

Nice damage roll, by the way. ))

The wmic screams in pain as the shard of ice tears through its side. You immediately notice the cold's numbing effects as the wemic's movements become stiffer.

Meanwhile the cloud of poisonous vapors that Quintar conjured begins to roll forward.

(( No enemy wemic got within charging range, so we're back to Tarinth's normal turn. Since I'm not sure how he wants to handle it, I'll wait for him. I will point out that if he wants to charge someone, he's actually within range of the archers. ))

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, I should be on the ground from last round, and charging something this round. What's up?
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

(( This is what you said you'd do on your last turn: "I do however hold my action to charge the first wemic coming through the keep cuz of course they won't respond to me if I try to talk to them."

I'm not seeing anything about you being on the ground. There's nothing you can charge at inside the keep as it is. Anyway, your normal turn came back without anything getting into charge range, so now you can designate a whole other action. You want to take on the archers? ))

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

I used wall walking awhile back. I'll move up to an archer and attack if I can.

maul (1d20+15=23, 2d8+7=20)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

All that's left of said archer is a pile of bone, blood, and tissue. Unfortunately, moving this far away with the light source allows the darkness from the amored elf's body reassert itself over Azadeth and Tianna.

Chonk runs up to the edge of the tower, generating extra momentum, and lets the sling bullet fly. I strikes an archer in the head, and the arger falls.

(( Map updated. ))

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

Well assuming I can still shoot at the archers I fire at the group on the right side.

Arrow 1 & 2 Attack (1d20+12=22, 1d20+12=15)
    Arrow 3 Attack (1d20+8=14)
    Arrows 1, 2, & 3 Damage (1d8+3=7, 1d8+3=10, 1d8+3=5)

If I can't see enough to shoot I will move over next to Chonk and fire if I can still shoot. If not I will just move over there out of the darkness.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Oh, you can shoot. You just have 20% miss chance due to concealment, which is in turn absolutely negated by your magic bow. In other words, nothing has changed for you. ;)

And as to moving next to chonk... Do look at your relative elevations. Chonk is on your tower's roof 20 ft. above you. ))

Azadeth drops another archer with his first arrow, but the next two miss.

The archers' morale finally breaks for good. All humans on the field turn tail and run. It also seems the view of the giant stone construct on the other side of the doorway, as the humans in the tower also run out, screaming in fear.

13. - Top - End - #43

And, the moment of truth! Do Tamboc and Squaw go splat?

1d20+8=20

No, they don't!

Now, do I still get to do something on this round? If so, Squaw spirals upwards.

If Tamboc can take a full round of actions, he casts cure light wounds on himself for 1d8+5=10 hp, then readies his shield.

If Tamboc can only take a standard or move, he readies his shield.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, After Quintar does his thing, I take out one of my hand axes and let fly at the dragon if its within range. My ranged BAB on my sheet said +5, but I get another +1 with my new level, and +2 more for Bless and Elation??

Hand Axe (1d20+8=12, 1d8+7=12)

(Oh how the axe is poopy. Hopefully it doesn't bonk me on the head on its way down.)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Wow. Nice roll, Tamboc. ))

Squaw manages to recover, she spirals up, and Tamboc takes the opportunity to cast a healing spell.

Eyes fixed on Tamboc's close call, Tianna utters an understated "Oh, crap." before digging a scroll case out of her backapack. She then shouts "Everyone get as close to me as possible! I'm gonna see if I can put some protective wards on you!" (( Elation down to 1 more round. Bless... plenty left. ;) ))

The dragon flies in a wide arc, onto the opposite side of the area of darkness from most of the keep's defenders. But the darkness doesn't actually hide her because her height is far greater than that to which the darkness ascends.

The construct slams the wemic on the other side of the door a couple good times, and everyone hears it roar in anger. Everyone can safely assume the wemic is trying to fight back, but it doesn't sound like the construct is taking damage.

The one wemic that remains standing tries to jump up to the wall again, but without a running start failes miserably.

Mab quickly downs her last healing potion.

(( Map updated. ))

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Quintar smirks, and moves away from the wemic one square, and up three (to get close to tianna), and then hurls an Orb of Force at the black dragon.

"You picked the wrong friends, my dear dragon..."

1d20+2=11, 10d6+6=29

Hm... guess the dragon might dodge this one.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Ooh. Just barely within range. Awefully convenient that it's the only orb spell with Medium rather than close range, eh? ))

Fortunately for Quintar, the Dragon is a massive target. Even with all the blurring, the orb hits home, striking the Dragon in the chest. The Dragon screams in anger.

(( Tarinth, I think the Dragon is out of Handaxe range. ))

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, well, it didn't make sense for me to continue beeting on the puny archers(get it, ha ha, beets are red, and so is blood... ok sorry, meow), so I figured, what the hey. Anyway, if its clear to Tarinth that he can't do that, then he'll use wall walking again to get up the wall near Tiana, sprinting if he has to.
    I shout to the others As soon as she's done warding us, we should scatter! We'll all be nice and close for a breath weapon if we don't.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

I'm thinking the dragon is coming after me... so, if I survive another approach by that fearsome cur, I stand my ground and shout:

"I do not fear death, beast! I am Quintar Beskash, defender of the weak! I have no time to waste with you. My fate lies elsewhere. You can not win!"

If he's in range, I cast Phantasmal Killer (Fort DC 19) If makes its save, it takes 3d6 damage. (3d6=8)

---
    IF the dragon is out of range, or for some reason dead, Quintar will featherfall (yay ring!) down the side of the castle wall, unsheathing his longsword along the way, and motion to the wemic who's trying to jump up, saying, "Bring it!"

20. - Top - End - #50

(I'm not sure of the penalties Azzy will get from firing at the dragon at that distance, but...)
    Azadeth fires 2 arrows at the dragon.

Arrow 1 Attack (1d20+14=19)
    Arrow 2 Attack (1d20+9=17)
    Arrows 1 & 2 Damage (1d8+2=3, 1d8+2=9)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarinth yells for Azadeth to make room and once the elf does so, charges for the wall.

Chonk sees the Dragon wheeling around and quickly runs off to the opposite edge of Azadeth's tower, feather falling down to the wall near Mab.

Azadeth makes a minor adjustment before firing off a couple arrows. Unfortunately, due to the Dragon's distance (( -2 range modifier for being between 1 and 2 range increments away )), the arrows don't even hit the target.

As Tarinth reaches the top of the wall, Tianna reads from the scroll. Tianna, Tarinth, Azadeth, Chonk, and Quintar all feel the magical energy enter their bodies. (( Tianna cast mass protection from energy. All the aforementioned characters gain Acid Resistance 10 (that is, each time you take acid damage, you ignore 10 points of it.) )) "Quintar! I was unable to protect Merlynn! Mab! You'll have to protect yourself! You have another scroll!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

"Quintar! I was unable to protect Merlynn!
    But... he's in my square. ???

23. - Top - End - #53

Tamboc and Squaw continue to spiral higher.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

While Tamboc and Squaw circle higher, you feel the joy and exhilration instilled by Tianna's spell fade. (( Elation ends. Lose the +2 bonuses to Dex and Str and the +5 ft. to movement. ))

Meanwhile, he Dragon circles around and angrily dives at the mage that harmed her. As she passes just 10 ft. above Quintar, her long neck snakes out and she rips a chunk out of the warmage's shoulder (( 25 damage )) only to continue on and begin circling around Azadeth's tower.

The black flame summoned by the shadow elf dies out, but the tendrils of shadow still remain.

From the roars of pain coming below, you are all quite certain the massive stone juggernaut under Mab's control has landed a series of solid hits upon the wemic. But a moment later you hear the crash of breaking glass and those near the interior edge of the wall can see that the construct is now covered in the same alchemical concoction that destroyed the tower wall, and it is eating through the construct's stone body.

Continues to senselessly jump at the wall. But unlike certain other wemics, he has no mind-power behind his jumps, and continues to be unsuccessful.

Seeing Quintar's current state, Mab screams a loud curse and yells, "Tianna! Get over here! Quint needs you!". She quickly gets up and opens the door on her side of Azadeth's tower to better allow Tianna's movement. "Chonk! Get the other one!"

Quintar utters the magic words to his spell of death. The spell takes hold (( Caster Level check (1d20+11=31) )). Quintar sees a large, nightmarish shadow rise up and reach out for the Dragon. The Dragon shudders as the shadow reaches for its heart, but she manages to keep his head, though obviously shaken by the experience. (( Quintar, if you wish to add a move action to the turn, let me know. ))

The noxious cloudkill continues to move forward.

Mab doesn't need to tell Chonk twice to take cover in Azadeth's tower. He does manage to keep his head enough to open the other door, too.

(( Map Updated. ))

25. - Top - End - #55

Assuming the dragon is high enough in the air that I can fire arrows at him, I fire 2 arrows. If I can't see him clearly then I ready an arrow.

Arrow 1 Attack (1d20+13=18)
    Arrow 2 Attack (1d20+7=26) (This criticals with my improved critical.)
    Arrow 2 Attack (For triple damage) (1d20+7=25)

Arrow 1 & 2 Damage (1d8+1=8, 1d8+1=3, 1d8+1=7, 1d8+1=5)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

(( You checking the map? It's on the other side of the tower from you. The Dragon has total cover. I'm gonna suggest you actually use this round to shift. You haven't done that for a while. ;) (Double hint: with that high AC, shift-boosting your Dex is a good idea.) Remember, one shift is a move action, so you could make two shifts in one round. ))

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, I forget if I can use my DORJE on others. If I can, I'll use wall walking to get to Quint and Heal him for 1D12. If I can't heal him this turn, I'll still go over there and wait for the next.

DORJE (1d12=10)
    (The dice like quintar better. He's sooo pretty. ;) )

28. - Top - End - #58

Azzy uses four least form shifts increasing (move and standard action combined)...Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Natural Armor increase by a +4.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Those with an eye Azadeth notice his muscles become more well defined and toned for greater speed and grace. Meanwhile, his skin seems to look a bit tougher, almost scaly, as it toughens up to protect him from physical blows.

(( Tarinth, to the best of my understanding, being in a dorje does not alter the fact that body adjustment has only a personal range. So you'll need another course of action.

Also, Quintar let me know in person that he wouldn't mind a slight adjustment to get closer to Tianna. He is currently waiting by the tower door that Mab opened. ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2006-10-29 at 07:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Tamboc

Tamboc and Squaw turn and dive-bomb the dragon. ((I should be able to reach the dragon from my current position with just a single move, since down speed is doubled.))

1d20+17=24, 1d8+5=11