New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default [MAITP] Middle Ages in the Playground OOC

So, I've had a story idea bouncing around in my head for a few weeks now, based on old medieval romances, and the old Celtic idea that a kingdom and it's king are supernaturally bound together. Here's my plot:

It is the year 1242 in the kingdom of Atra. One thousand, two hundred and forty two years since Artor the Crusader led his people across the Lost Road that once stretched across the Eastern Seas and founded the kingdom. Is is the tenth year of Eoden's reign on the Lion's Throne, two years since he crushed the mad rebel Vargas on the Panduran Marches, and his kingdom sits in an uneasy peace. The royal coffers have been depleted by campaign after campaign against both rebels and invaders. Two years of poor harvests have left the people starving and angry. The constant need for the nobles to send away their sons and knights to fight in the King's wars have led to whisperings of civil war across the Kingdom. It is the beginning of summer, tournament season in Atra, and all the lords and knights of the realm are competing for a position in the Royal Tournament to be held on the last day of August. The winner of the Royal Tournament shall be able to ask the King for one favour, any wish that is within the King's power to grant. A dangerous thing when there are those that wish to see Eoden removed from the Lion's Throne. And that wish is a dangerous one in the land of Atra, which is as deep with monsters and sorcery as the sea, and kept in check only by the bounds of loyalty that hold King, land and people together.

So yeah, that's my plot. It'd be a freeform where the players RP as knights of the kingdom, loyal to one feudal lord or another, fighting either for or against the king, all unaware of the dark forces that conspire to rip Atra apart. Or perhaps entirely aware of those dark forces, and in league with them. Or maybe even play as the dark things that pull the strings of this kingdom from behind the curtains.

Any takers? The setting and plot aren't concrete yet, so there's still a lot of imput you could put into this. It will be fairly realistic though, while maintaining the feeling of a medieval romance like Le Morte d'Arthur.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest
    Executor - for a Vs. thread, you have laid out the case for this confrontation very intelligently - bravo!
    he is like the demigod of vs. threads
    They can take our lives... but they'll never take our AWESOME!!!

Awarded EvilElitest the Trophy for winning the internet.

Alumnus of the Sauron vs Voldemort thread
    <ASVSVA>

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Realistic Medieval Fantasy Freeform Interest?

Posting interest.

This looks like it have much potential and a knight tournament sounds like it will be tons of fun to play
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Definately interested in this proposal for a FFRP. How shall the Serfs fare?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Realistic Medieval Fantasy Freeform Interest?

Also interested. Are the only knights allowed the European kind, or a Samurai, or maybe even the Spahi? (My question is: Are other counterparts to Knights in different parts of the world acceptable?)
    Last edited by Falgorn; 2010-08-25 at 12:13 PM.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    Also interested. Are the only knights allowed the European kind, or a Samurai, or maybe even the Spahi? (My question is: Are other counterparts to Knights in different parts of the world acceptable?)
    Now we're asking questions, will there be the possibility of women, serfs and common folk entering the tournament?

I assume that the phrase 'Sons and knights' mean that only noblemen are allowed to participate but a wish from the king is a big thing and at least a few might be able to cheat their entrance to the tournament.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Keveak: A few, given some stolen gear and a whole lot of luck, might be able to fake noble birth and get into the tournament Knight's Tale-style, but I'm intending to play this RP as fairly realistic, so there'll be no medieval crowds singing We Will Rock You

Falgorn: You might be able to play a Samurai or Spahi-equivalent who has traveled to Atra and ending up swearing his allegiance to an Atran lord for whatever reason. Using the Samurai example, you might RP a Ronin who has left his homeland to seek his fortune in Atra, and ended up as a liegeman of one of the Atran nobles. However, like I said to Keveak, this will be a fairly realistic RP when sorcery isn't involved, so don't have katanas slicing through greatswords, because it's not going to happen, haha.
    Executor - for a Vs. thread, you have laid out the case for this confrontation very intelligently - bravo!

<ASVSVA>

7. - Top - End - #7

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    Keveak: A few, given some stolen gear and a whole lot of luck, might be able to fake noble birth and get into the tournament Knight's Tale-style, but I'm intending to play this RP as fairly realistic, so there'll be no medieval crowds singing We Will Rock You

Falgorn: You might be able to play a Samurai or Spahi-equivalent who has traveled to Atra and ending up swearing his allegiance to an Atran lord for whatever reason. Using the Samurai example, you might RP a Ronin who has left his homeland to seek his fortune in Atra, and ended up as a liegeman of one of the Atran nobles. However, like I said to Keveak, this will be a fairly realistic RP when sorcery isn't involved, so don't have katanas slicing through greatswords, because it's not going to happen, haha.
    A valid point, but I do plan on roleplaying a knight realistically. Which obviously means him being able to shoot holy fire out of his eyes.

In all seriousness, I realize that this will have to be realistic, so no katanas cutting people in half. For now.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could you give details on the Religon of Atra?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's sort of a blend of mono and polytheism, based around the worship of the Powers of Heaven. The only actual God in the Atran belief is the Creator-King of Heaven, also known as the Creator or the High Power. In addition to the Creator-King are the numerous lesser Powers, who are still divine but function more like saints in real-world Christianity. The major ones are the Queen, the Champion, the Guards, the Shepherd and the Captain, each one the patron Power of a different realm of human life. The Shepherd, for example, is the patron of husbandry and agriculture, and so is paid special attention to by farmers, shepherds, goatherds, etc. The Captain, on the other hand, is patron of the sea, lakes and rivers, and so is high in the prayers of sailors and fishermen. Religious offerings in Atra consist of animal sacrifice. A proper sacrifice is either a sheep, goat or ox, these being the sacred animals of the High Power, fully drained of blood, blessed by the local Priest and then burnt. The titles in the Church of the Powers are derived from real world Orthodox Christian titles, with the Atran equivalent of bishop being Patriarch, and the Patriarch of the whole kingdom being the High Patriarch, who resides in the capital of Artoria with the King. The capital of each of the dukedoms that make up Atra (of which there are 12) has a sanctuary in it, where the dukedom's Patriarch resides, sanctuaries being something like our cathedrals.

And that's about all I've worked out so far on religion. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Executor; 2010-08-25 at 07:03 PM.

<ASVSVA>

10. - Top - End - #10

This sounds awesome! I will join if you do not mind.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The more the merrier! Any imput about the setting or plot? We're still in the brainstorming stage here.

<ASVSVA>

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Could I play a schemeing noble/courtesan, a insane priest, or something less conventional?
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Any of those are options! I'd be interested in any of them, since what you proposed worked well with my plans for a main villain.

<ASVSVA>

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

For the religon, is there an anti-thesis to the Creator, a Destroyer or Devil figure in it?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Does that mean I can't have a nutjob Troubadour following my knight around and playing Classical Metal on a lute?

Purple, then I have to find old and enjoyable music to base it on instead.

Everybody know you can't have a knight without at least one kind of badass/silly music being played wherever he go, it's a rule
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

16. - Top - End - #16

HalfOrcPirate

Also, along with the religion, are there any pilgrimages? Or rites that one has to undergo to be formally accepted in the church?

Also, are there other, surrounding countries?
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps I could play a knight with a code of honor, out to eradicate any evil he encounters?
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In order for a subdeacon to be ordained as a full deacon, the lowest rank of the clergy, he must undertake a pilgrimage to visit the High Sanctuary in Artoria, there to fast and pray for two days, and once he has accomplished this, he receives the High Patriarch's blessing and is received as a full member of the Church of the Powers.

As for the Devil figure, there are two: The Prince and the Witch. The Prince was originally a Power of great good, the son of the Creator-King and His Queen, but he succumbed to envy when he saw how Humanity revered his father over him, and he fell into darkness. He's basically a corrupted Jesus Christ figure. The Witch, on the other hand, is pure evil, the root of all wickedness, it was she who seduced the Prince, both literally and figuratively, into revealing the World to her when it was young, just after it had been created, and allowed evil to be released into it. And from their union, every evil beast and monster that plagues humanity was born.

Yes, there are surrounding countries to the south and west, but I haven't done any work on them yet, so I'm entirely open to suggestions.

And yes, Maxios, that would work admirably.
    Last edited by Executor; 2010-08-26 at 12:49 PM.

<ASVSVA>

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes! Go knights! I'll give him a long sword and and a shield, and perhaps maybe a castle, because knights in medieval times were usually owners of castles.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lords were usually the owners of castles, a simple knight would have a fortified manor though, that I suppose could be considered a castle.

<ASVSVA>

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes! That'll be my character's starting location.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    Yes! Go knights! I'll give him a long sword and and a shield, and perhaps maybe a castle, because knights in medieval times were usually owners of castles.
    A long sword requires two hands and is pretty useless in most tournament games (lancing, sword and shield on horseback, it would work for duels though)

Knights owning castles? You are aware that for each house of nobility there could be almost a hundred knights, right? We don't have that many castles in Europe.

In fact, my country has less than five. All of them belonged to kings too.

No offence meant, just history-geekiness
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

23. - Top - End - #23

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    A long sword requires two hands and is pretty useless in most tournament games (lancing, sword and shield on horseback, it would work for duels though)
    I thought that long swords were known for their versatility. I thought that, while one could put more power into their blow using two hands, it wasn't necessary to use both hands. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

You're thinking of bastard swords. Can't use a two handed sword in one hand unless you're built like Conan the Barbarian. And even then they'd be slow. Knights preferred to use a sword and shield. If they have to go two hands on you, well a mace is a much more effective weapon.

If I go the courtesan then I'll be a beautiful, twenty three year old (convenient) widow who wants to find a new husband. I'll probably also be a total bitch, as that's the only way to get that sort of character to work.
    If I go the scheming noble, then I'll be something like eleventh in line for the throne. I'll probably have some sort of deformity (thank you Shakespeare), and be trying to 'work my way up succession'.
    If either of them are too hard to work out, I'll play a fanatical knight templar sort of guy.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    I thought that long swords were known for their versatility. I thought that, while one could put more power into their blow using two hands, it wasn't necessary to use both hands. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
    As far as I know, longswords could be used with one hand on horseback. On foot, they were too long for that.
    As for the game itself, I'll give it a shot. If possible, I'll play a mercenary who works for whoever pays the most, be they feudal lords or anyone else. He'll have no wish to become a king himself - but he will attempt to be the new king's right hand or at least trusted advisor and general. He'll also dabble in sorcery.
    Last edited by Morty; 2010-08-26 at 04:30 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

My scheming nobel offers to make you a knight, then wed his niece to you, giving you a title, a considerable bit of land, legitimacy and constant source of income.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

This looks really cool
    Very interested
    Maybe I could play some sort of evil force..like morgaine in the arthurian legends
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I already have plans for the main force of evil in this land, who will be NPCs that I will control, however you could RP as some kind of evil character.

<ASVSVA>

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

-Nudges Executor over to the Freeform thread-

You'll probably find some more people over there.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

I already have plans for the main force of evil in this land, who will be NPCs that I will control, however you could RP as some kind of evil character.
    yeah, sorry
    That's what I meant
    Like one of their followers
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar: