New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: MitD III: You are likely to suggest Tarrasque

The carbosilicate amorph does fit alarmingly well....

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: mitd, part 1 of 2 from bothi

Quote Originally Posted by Bothi View Post
    Ok, heres what I think...

He says he isnt like the rest of his kind, so I assume that his kind is ruthless, and enjoys the dark.
    [citation needed]

He wont eat children, but that means he CAN eat children.
    Yes, most creatures that can eat, can eat children. I would imagine you have, at some point. I certainly have. By which I mean: notice he mentions veal, i.e. cow youngsters. Refusing to eat any kind of baby animal is a moral position, one most of us probably don't follow. The fact he can eat baby animals is not giving us any info that the fact he can eat hamburgers didn't already tell us.

Since it is Xykon trying to make him eat children, we can assume that they are whole, because cut up children wouldnt be as scary
    As master256 pointed out, the children are alive.

Based on the assumption that he can eat kids whole leads to the assumption that he either has a very large mouth, can unhinge his jaws, or that his upper and lower jaws are seperate.
    Unwarranted assumption. He could eat them one bite at a time, like most of us do when confronted with food that doesn't immediately fit in our mouths. That is what teeth are for.

Since he is unlike his kind, and is nicer and weaker than his kin, why would Xykon take him?
    You have yet to present evidence that he is weaker than his kind. And Xykon couldn't know he was nicer than his kind when he took him on. Indeed, there is no actual evidence that Xykon even knows what he is - MitD thinks he does, but that's not the same thing.

I belive that he is the only one of his kind that can cast spells. ANOTHER THEORY- perhaps hes some kind of shapeshifter.
    You can of course believe that (free country), but there is no evidence for such an assumption, since we know very little about his kind. As to the second part, that's not so much a theory as a hypothesis. There is a bit of evidence, based mostly on inconsistent drawing of MitD, that he might be a shapeshifter. But... so then what?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Orc in the Playground

Could the rule of funny/fair use be used to alter the meaning of a skill, IF it's similar sounding or is named the same as another more popular meaning of the skill?

Meaning, for example, if you had a "dig" skill in D&D, could you replace its effects with the "dig" skill in Pokemon, or even just alter it's effects to act like its name? Because if this applies and isn't much of a stretch to the base monster, this opens up hundreds of loopholes in Pokemon alone. The given example of dig (just one example, remember), the skill which would apply to tons of base monsters, would open up the Pokemon version: The one that acts basically like an "escape rope", transferring the character to the last "Pokemon center", or the last place the character got healed by a good person, this case being Durkon. There are a lot of D&D monsters that can "dig" which would mean a lot of them can explain "escape".

Basically, while I really like the idea of Snorlax/Munchlax, if you believe that Rich would use a large copyrighted theme with risky legal repercussions AND incorporate another world's skills into his own, (particularly the latter), then you'll also have to accept the possibility of incorporating ANY OTHER skill from that same world into his own. This would basically allow hundreds of monsters to fit with the skill database of Pokemon and others, completely ruining any chance of figuring it out. Note this idea only applies to worlds with specific skill/ability collections, not restricting one time characters with abilities that apply only to them.

My $0.02 on the copyright issue.
    Last edited by silversaraph; 2010-12-19 at 02:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1144

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by silversaraph View Post
    Could the rule of funny/fair use be used to alter the meaning of a skill, IF it's similar sounding or is named the same as another more popular meaning of the skill?

Meaning, for example, if you had a "dig" skill in D&D, could you replace its effects with the "dig" skill in Pokemon, or even just alter it's effects to act like its name? Because if this applies and isn't much of a stretch to the base monster, this opens up hundreds of loopholes in Pokemon alone. The given example of dig (just one example, remember), the skill which would apply to tons of base monsters, would open up the Pokemon version: The one that acts basically like an "escape rope", transferring the character to the last "Pokemon center", or the last place the character got healed by a good person, this case being Durkon. There are a lot of D&D monsters that can "dig" which would mean a lot of them can explain "escape".

Basically, while I really like the idea of Snorlax/Munchlax, if you believe that Rich would use a large copyrighted theme with risky legal repercussions AND incorporate another world's skills into his own, (particularly the latter), then you'll also have to accept the possibility of incorporating ANY OTHER skill from that same world into his own. This would basically allow hundreds of monsters to fit with the skill database of Pokemon and others, completely ruining any chance of figuring it out. Note this idea only applies to worlds with specific skill/ability collections, not restricting one time characters with abilities that apply only to them.

My $0.02 on the copyright issue.
    A bunch of pokémons might be able to explain the escape event -duplicate the power we assume that Snorlax would have used to facilitate the escape of V and Stiffly, but please keep i mind that the creature would also have to explain every other MitD related feature. Allowing for the use of a Pokémon version of an ability is not to invite anarchy, but you are certainly right that if we use one Pokémon skill we "must" allow for them all -which in the case of Snorlax is what we do.
    We already have several contestants such as the Grue and the 5th Dimensional Imp that rely on abilities that are described outside the rules of D&D and/or are not statted for 3.5. Thus far it has not been a problem and obviously it has failed to yield "hundreds" of contestants. Snorlax/Munchlax is the one Pokémon that fits the bill (to my knowledge).

So, yes I do think that rich would incorporate the abilities of non-D&D creatures into the story/his world for the sake of the narrative. As for running a risk with copyright I certainly believe one have to be careful to incorporate copyrighted material into ones own story but in the case of Snorlax I hardly think that using one out of a cast of more than 500 Pokémons and the rest of the expanded cast of Pokémon as a villains monstrous compagnion will get Rich in trouble.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Orc in the Playground

Bringing Pokemon into the issue... is a problem, to say the least. Besides that normal D&D monsters would then be able to have Pokemon description moves, ignoring the copyright issue, and even besides the fact that there are several Pokemon that already fit MitD characteristics stupidly well, Snorlax/Munchlax being an example...

The other big issue is the equivalent of templates on crack... TMs, Vitamins, and evolution stones. As Bulbapedia shows, and anyone who's ever played a Pokemon game knows, TMs can add whatever ability you want to certain Pokemon types and in some like Mew, all of them. This could give Mega Punch, (miko), earthquake, Dig, Teleport, Metronome, egg bomb (Sorry about the smell!), Rest, Roar (STOP!), Rain dance (Rain helps me sleep), psychic, Secret power/Hidden power, and many others to a LOT of monsters. Vitamins can give whatever strength and stat proportions you want... Evolution stones could explain why, even if he's powerful as an adult, he hasn't "evolved" yet.

Sure, bringing in Pokemon abilities is possible... but it would destroy all hope of guessing what the MitD is. Personally, though there are ones that fit, some perfectly, it opens too many options... and if multiple work, it's impossible to figure out who he is.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

This is almost definitely wrong, but why shouldn't it just be a titan?
    I exist only to create stuff to waste your time out of much better time-wasters.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started in a cave with my PCs killing undead. I don't think I've ever started a campaign in a tavern.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Titan in the Playground

Because they tend to be... well, titanic. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arpin View Post
    This is almost definitely wrong, but why shouldn't it just be a titan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Because they tend to be... well, titanic. xD
    Lix Lorn is wrong, since Titans can reduce their size to humanoid at will. From first post, we've had Titans suggested before, in the mythological sense. Going by straight D&D Titan, I'd say its problems are: no damage reduction against Miko. Can talk. Can't explain Escape very well (only has gate), and can't explain the circus scene (he'd look like a human).

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of which, how is Snorlax supposed to explain the circus scene? Is it just a "from another universe altogether, incomprehensible to the OOTSiverse, thus inspiring Lovecraftian comments of both beauty and horror" thing?

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Speaking of which, how is Snorlax supposed to explain the circus scene? Is it just a "from another universe altogether, incomprehensible to the OOTSiverse, thus inspiring Lovecraftian comments of both beauty and horror" thing?
    Mostly, I think we handwave it with "those people in the public are doing what the fanboys of the comic will do when MitD turns out to be a Pokemon: projectile vomit".

GW

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ettin in the Playground

So was the lady that said it's beautiful a Pokemon fan? Or a fangirl that predicted Snorlax and thinks it's so amazing that she was right?

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

"There is someone for everyone in this world"

GW

13. - Top - End - #1153

Daemon

Strange as it might sound in the light of my defense of Snorlax against copyright, I too would be a little disappointed if the MitD turned out to be a Pokémon.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    One of the problems is, again, with TMs. They could give Dream Eater, Attract, Nightmare,Toxic, frustration... to name just a few. Any of these could explain it if the MitD gets confused when there are multiple targets (think of the Harry Potter boggart).

For example, if the Nightmare of the one who vomited is a graphic surgical procedure, this might be less scary to the ones who are just shocked, and even beautiful to a doctor or someone who would view it as the miracle of life. If "evil" means violence loving by default, this would explain the enthusiasm by the goblins, too. This works the other way, too (Attract the goblins, at the other end gross out the one who vomited).

This is in addition to any skills that Snorlax or another might already have. Remember, TM's are templates on crack... and yet, almost always valid.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ettin in the Playground

But according to the dialogue, he does nothing but stand there, and neither of Snorlax's abilities (abilities in Pokemon came out in 2002/2003) could explain it.

16. - Top - End - #1156

Daemon

In the spirit of the time I would like to suggest that the MitD is a Santa.

Everyone who has ever walked a busy street around christmas time knows that there are an infinite number of Santas.

Santas are invariably male.

Santas native environment is NOT the rainforest.

Depending upon cultural background and personal beliefs as well as the individual Santa one may perceive Santa as both hideous, beautiful, magnificent, ugly, etc.

Santa carries millions of presents around all the time. He is obviously more than strong enough to knock Miko and Windstrider through a wall and send them flying for miles.

Santa has a wide girth that bears witness to his fondness of anything edible.

Santa is able to conjure forth any item he wants to. This explains why the MitD expects wishes to come true.

Being a semi occult creature of divine persuasion it is not unthinkable that at least some Santas might recognize religious rituals upon sight.

Santas girth + strength can certainly explain the earthquake considering the frustration he must have experienced when he of all creatures was denied not only a wish, BUT A TOY!

Being in the wish granting business it is not unthinkable that a Santa would have interpreted the feelings that V and O-Chul must inevitably have felt when Xykon was about to shove a meteor swarm down their collective throats as "wishing that none of this was happening and that they were safe with their friends.

Ancient myths tell of Santa enacting terrible punishment on those that oppose his decrees. Obviously he should be scary.

As well as a fondness for any foods Santa has a fondness of drink. Many a Santa has forgotten his identity altogether as a direct result of this.

Besides HO HO HOs Santas are not necessarily very talkative. Add to that, that many a Santa has been seen staggering around in a drunken stupor and even an otherwise knowledgeable man may be forgiven for thinking that Santas do not actually talk.

Belief in Santa is a bit childish...

Merry Christmas everyone
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2010-12-23 at 05:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Orc in the Playground

Santa also has remained elusive to proof, in "the dark" if you will, so it's understandable that he would want to be shown to the world.

Santa was also based off of "Nickelas" stone, or the "devil ore" that refused to give copper, now known as nickel. To those like Xykon, they might see the MitD as this interpretation of the devil or another universally scary figure. To people like O-Chul, they might view him as the jolly Santa.

Or as you said, to the "naughty boys and girls" like Xykon/Redcloak Santa would be very frightening at first, while to the good characters like O-chul, they're "nice" and have nothing to fear.

Dang. This fits well.
    Last edited by silversaraph; 2010-12-24 at 01:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

The MitD is the Tarrasque Snorlax the avatar of the DM of Oots world!

He’s always in the dark (i.e. the characters don’t see him/don’t know who he is).

He can drastically alter the rules and the course of the game itself to keep the story moving/keep the PC’s alive (escape scene).

He can have any abilities considering he can bend the will of the universe itself (earthquake, roar, etc.)

He is highly informed about many game resources (recognizing the half-ritual).

He can’t really die, being the DM and all (thus Belkar’s and Miko’s attacks are ineffective).

Not found in a rainforest.

The DM certainly should be horrible and frightening. He’s more powerful than anything (Xykon’s comment about how scary he should be)

Many DM’s I’ve had, anyway, forget plot points, sometimes major ones (“What gate?”)

Stereotypically, geeks in general sleep a lot, are shy (“It speaks!”), eat quite a bit, aren’t viewed as being attractive, and are often viewed as being immature.

(I couldn’t resist myself. I’m done joking now).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    In the spirit of the time I would like to suggest that the MitD is a Santa.
    This made me laugh. And It's actually (surprisingly/sadly) a good fit.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyone ever notice that MitD had to have used an epic level spell to pierce the cloister on Ochul? Since he made them "Escape" through an epic spell designed to stop just about ANYTHING except a summoning spell and I doubt that was what MitD used.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Per Celia's description of Cloister it only blocks inbound spells. Scrying, teleportation etc that goes from inside the Cloistered area to outside works just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Per Celia's description of Cloister it only blocks inbound spells. Scrying, teleportation etc that goes from inside the Cloistered area to outside works just fine.
    Furthermore, anyone that has been inside of the Cloister probably is exempt from the "no teleportation in" clause too, since I doubt Celia & co. teleported out to get their sandwiches, and then had to walk or fly back in.

Grey Wolf

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Furthermore, anyone that has been inside of the Cloister probably is exempt from the "no teleportation in" clause too, since I doubt Celia & co. teleported out to get their sandwiches, and then had to walk or fly back in.

Grey Wolf

Interestingly, there was a "taco hut" right next to Dorukan's dungeon, about ten second's walk (though that might have been MitD's wishing to get tacos). It's not inconceivable that there would be a "surfway" that close, too.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Grey Wolf
    They're definitely not protected from teleportation like they are from scrying, since Redcloak (who was definitely inside the original casting) was able to use Word of Recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

Interestingly, there was a "taco hut" right next to Dorukan's dungeon, about ten second's walk (though that might have been MitD's wishing to get tacos). It's not inconceivable that there would be a "surfway" that close, too.
    OK, noted, that could certainly be the case, and absent further evidence we can't call it one way or the other. As circumstantial evidence for "you can port back in if you ported out", I'll add: we know the cloister effect "sticks" to anyone leaving. The cloister mark could perfectly include the exception, just like it continues to protect from scrying. Otherwise, it would inconvenience the caster too much, I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    They're definitely not protected from teleportation like they are from scrying, since Redcloak (who was definitely inside the original casting) was able to use Word of Recall.
    Yes, but that was inside->inside teleport. We already know that, if you start from the inside, you can teleport wherever you want. We also may need to check the specifics of Word of Recall, since for all I know it's a summoning type of spell.

Grey Wolf

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Orc in the Playground

Oh man... I'm right back to the cutting board!
    You mean "drawing board".
    Was he even drawn in the first place?

Thought this was an interesting little tidbit, perhaps MitDs base character was only ever described, never illustrated. Seems like one of the clues Rich mentioned he put into those and recent strips (There's a lot of obvious stuff there). Of course, could be a false positive, but considering most of the stuff has an original illustration, it could narrow a lot down.

26. - Top - End - #1166

Daemon

Thought this was an interesting little tidbit, perhaps MitDs base character was only ever described, never illustrated. Seems like one of the clues Rich mentioned he put into those and recent strips (There's a lot of obvious stuff there). Of course, could be a false positive, but considering most of the stuff has an original illustration, it could narrow a lot down.
    I have always read this as a reference to the fact that the MitD has always been hidden by darkness and hence he is never actually drawn by Rich.
    I think that your idea is an interesting one but far fetched. If you can find a suitable creature that does not come with an illustration it might lend some credence to your theory.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Pardon me if this has been suggested and shot down, but could be a gibbering mouther? Because they're big (medium but could be advanced to large) have power over earth, eat a lot, are ugly, and very rarely speak properly (ie. not gibberish).

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

While a gibbering mouther could probably explain the circus scene, it lacks the Str/SLA/spell to explain the tower scene and the SLA/spell to explain the escape. In addition, it's only CR 5, and the MitD needs to be from a species with a high enough CR that Xykon thinks it will be a significant threat to the Order. So I doubt that the gibbering mouther will fit, unfortunately.

Also, if you're curious what's been suggested, Grey Wolf keeps a good summary in the opening post, so you only have to read it and the last couple of pages
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I suppose the whole "no limbs" also is a con.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

I don't have my copy of SoD at hand, but i remember Redcloak saying in one of the first strips: the Mitd is attracting even more of the demon beetles

and in SoD we know they come from that gate to.. which plane? i don't remember
    if the beetles are attracted by that cooking (and evil spices) they must have something in common with the MitD... maybe the mitd is originary of the plane those spices come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)