New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Lelan IC

1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Lelan IC

Gondal Wynn

Gondal weighed whether to answer the questions or not and decided that a comprimise was necessary. "I have been hired as a thief taker. I was tracking the wizard that caused the commotion in the Dragon tonight in an attempt to recover stolen goods for my employer. Of course, the nature of the goods is confidential, but any knowledge you have of the wizard's whereabouts could net you payment for information."
    Adjudicator

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Kerrul

The man looks up at the hired help. He makes a guess based on what the Wizard said earlier. So, you got bought up by the Rannites to get thier little sword back? It just so happens that Holgier, Painian, myself, ad the elf were planning to track him down anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aeyamar

Aeyamar became quite insulted that the man in spiked armor was speaking for him and decided to rectify it. It appears you still believe I am here to help you, well let me correct any dillusions you may have of that right now. I am not helping you, I have my own reasons for wanting to bring that wizard to justice. And one more thing, if you wish to use me to lure him out you must give me your word that you will only attack the wizard who actually killed the man upstairs . As I said before, I will not be used as a tool for you to kill peolpe I believe to be uninvolved.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Justance Senneset

Justance looked up the stairs toward Holgier, looking for some indication of intent in the paladin's expression. He needed to speak with Holgier privately; but now was obviously not the time. There were more important matters.

"Wait! What about the man on the...the man that the wizard...." Justance gulped and regathered himself. "Is he really...dead?" Seeing the grim look on the faces of the others, Justance's heart sank. "Can't anything be done for him? A healer, perhaps? Have we tried? Do we know?"

Even as he spoke, Justance's heart knew it could not be so. The blade that the wizard had swung bled corruption and death. There was little hope that the man's soul remained within reach of even the most advanced cleric. But was there hope?
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Panian

Panian spins around and looks at the elf. His face is void of any emotion and his voice is deathly cool. I am not out to kill anyone else who was not involved. My revenge is with those who took. . . . who took Graben away from me.

Panian's eyes slide over to Kerrul, he shows no fear to the hulking brute when he says these next words to him. They are an order but not coming from a man who thinks himself higher, but from a man who hopes that Kerrul will see the reason behind them.

We're not going to take down the entire guild. I have no love of death. I've seen what it does far too many times. I'll not kill those who had no part in this. We do not want to share the pain you and I feel. But we will get our revenge on all of those who had a hand in our mentor's death. I'll see to that.

Panian looks over at Gondel, almost seeing him for the first time. So you want to help us. You want to get that blade back from the witch for those Ranna idiots. Realize though, that my friend and I are running this show. You'll get your trinket, after we have our revenge.

Now looking around the room, Panian addresses everyone. I loved Graben and I know Kerrul did. You are all helping us hunt down the scum that killed him. . . thank you. Panian turns again on his heels and begins gathering what he needs to hunt down the witch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #216

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Kerrul

Understood Panian. We will kill that wizard specifically together. But I won't make you go with me if I have a chance to avenge myself on the rest of the guild. If you don't want to, I will do it alone. Kerrul grabs his pack from the niche in a closet it is always tucked in. It has all the supplies he would need for an extended mission. When the boy asks if Shadowbone is really dead, Kerrul nods, though he doesn't look at him. With a wound like that, nothing can be done for him. He went to Halavan the second the blade bit his flesh.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217

Lorsan speaks up, addressing Kerrul.

"We're not here for the Rannites. We're here to get that sword out of the wizard's hands. The peace of the city is at stake. Do you not care about that at all?"

He turns to the rest. "Some of you may be seeking revenge against him, but that sword he holds could destroy the whole city. He is a dangerous man and needs to be brought down."
    Remember when I had an avatar?

8. - Top - End - #218

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Kerrul

The man whirls, his cloak spining about like a shadow as he turns to face the speaker. His voice is filled with rage, and stops just short of a shout. To the abyss with the city and "peace"! I care only for revenge, and so long as the blood of that wizard flows inside his viens, I will do anything or kill anyone to make sure he suffers. The sword is a tool, of his, and I care nothing for it so long as the wielder perishes.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gondal Wynn

Gondal shook his head at the outburst. "This is why I hate working with others, Lorsan. Damn my conscience for getting me involved in this." Turning back to face the angry man, Gondal looked at him patiently. "Would you be willing to allow me to accompany you as you looked for him then? If you care nothing for the sword, I care nothing for its bearer. I propose that we assist each other, as our objectives will undoubtedly lead us to the same location anyway."
    Adjudicator

10. - Top - End - #220

Justance Senneset

Justance shakes his head. "What is this sword? Where does it come from? Is it some sort of Rannite artifact? I've never heard of its like. What is that blackness?" He cuts himself off when he realizes that his curiousity may not be welcome.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Panian

Panian gathers up his things as the shouting continues between the men. He calmly walks over to Kerrul and places a hand on his shoulder.

He is right, my friend. We should work together on this. We want him dead, they want his sword. That coward won't just hand it over, so we'll see that he isn't in any condition to hang onto it.

Turning to address Gondal:

And you, why do you need this sword so badly? How could one item destroy an entire city? And, if it does have that type of power, why is it safe in your hands? Shouldn't it be destroyed if it weilds such power? Any item that can bring such destruction only deserves to be destroyed in turn.

Panian shifts his weight from one side to the other, and rests his hand on his sword. He looks from one person to the other, expecting answers. Then something pops into his head.

But before you give me your answers, we have not been introduced. I am Panian Shipsail, my friend here is Kerrul Spinesnap, the lad with the limp is Justance and that rather quiet fellow with the rather large sword is Holgier.

Panian extends his hand out in welcome. It is always easier to get people to do your bidding when you have them on your side.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gondal Wynn

Gondal considered the outstretched hand for several seconds before extending his own and shaking it quickly and firmly. "I am Gondal, a simple locksmith in the River Quarter. Occassionally, I hire out my services but only at my discretion. In this case, my information tells me that the sword has the power to cause great destruction in the hands of a wizard. The people I work for seek to restrict the use of magic in the everday affairs of Lelan and would see the sword removed from circulation. I cannot vouch for them other than to say that in my experience they have always acted with the best interests of the city at heart."

Gondal tilted his head and considered the pair standing before him. "And, quite frankly, I don't see what concern of yours it is what we do with the sword. You've made it clear that you are after the wizard. We are after the sword. If you wish our assistance in capturing this foe, the terms are clear. If not, then our paths will separate here. We do not ask why you wish the wizard dead, please extend the same courtesy to our business."
    Adjudicator

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aeyamar

Intrigued by the new in formation about the sword, Aeyamar began to inquire further. This blade might be quite influential in the right hands. Perhaps if I am able to aquire it, I might gain enough power to finally change the power structure in Lelan for the better. And then who knows? Maybe I could also use it to help end the pointless civil war among the elves. Yes, that could work. Although I would then have to destroy it...

What exactly is this blade? And what makes this blade so much more dangerous in the hands of the wizard than in the hands of a regular soldier? Why would a group of warriors and pyromaniacs create a blade that would be most effective in the hands of wizards a group which they openly hate and persecute?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224

Lorsan turns to Aeyamar. "It is a sword of great power. That's obvious. I don't know much about it's power myself, but it could be used by the robes to take over Lelan."

To everybody, he says: "It is in our best interest to work together on this, to both bring the wizard down and to take the sword from him."

Holgier turns to Justance and speaks quietly. "I see that your desire to serve was true. I will speak to my superiors on your behalf. For now, we must concern ourselves with this sword matter. I will inform the temple leaders. Do you think you could stay with this group and help find the wizard?"

Then, turning to the rest, he says: "The sword should go to the Temple of Alson. It is we who are best suited to guard it from falling into the wrong hands."

[That should spark some debate. Lesson 1 from Aeyamar's book: always assume that you're right and everyone else is wrong.]

15. - Top - End - #225

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Kerrul

The hell it will. It's power may allow the robes to take the city, and it will sure tip the balance towards the Alsonite side. I would say we Halavanites would keep it, but you would say the same to me. I say we toss the damn thing in the ocean and forget it exists. The man in spiked armor cracks his knuckles. Still, that is a matter for once I am finished killing the wizards.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

Justance Senneset

Justance was both surprised and gratified by Holgier's commendation. It seemed that a private conversation with the paladin was not necessary. On the other hand, Justance could not see that he had done anything meritorious that evening. Had he not cowered? Had he not run? Had he not spoken out foolishly and cost a man his life (no matter what Spinesnap said)? Yes, he did have a genuine desire to serve--now. But all of his actions earlier had been pure self-interest. Hadn't they?

It was this well-earned (to his mind) self-deprecation which prevented him from protesting Holgier's suggestion that he stay with the group and chase after the wizard. He had no desire to face further ruin and possible death this evening. He was not entirely comfortable with the present company. He certainly doubted his own ability to be anything more than a lag-behind. Even so, if he were to prove that his desire to serve were genuine--to himself, if to no one else--then he could not refuse his first official act of service for Alson.

The older men were debating the disposition of the sword. Justance certainly thought it best in the hands of Alson; but the thug's reasoning was not (wonder of wonders) without merit. Well, I should not assume that he cannot employ his mind merely because he cannot control his impulses toward violence.

"I understand your desire for revenge, Spinesnap." He paused. "No, let me take that back. To be perfectly honest, I don't know. I cannot presume to know what you're experiencing at this moment. But I do know that it would be hasty and potentially explosive to assume that all the Robes of Coron were behind this attack on your...friend? Father? Superior?

"In any case, you will do Halavan no service if you bring this city down in ashes around our heads because you act without knowledge. For all we know, the wizard's visit here tonight had nothing to do with the elf--did he even know that we would bring him here?--and everything to do with provoking Halavan and his followers into a premature retaliatory strike. It could be a trap or a deception or...I don't know. But that's exactly the point: we don't know.

"I would like to help you avenge your friend; I will lend whatever aid I can...such as it is." Here he looked at Panian as well. "But if your vengeance encompasses all who use magic--or even all the Robes of Coron, without the guild having been proven guilty--then I must stand against you."

Justance kept an eye upon the elf as he spoke. The elf was dangerous: he knew Justance's secret, and he had not yet declared himself. (He had not yet given his name, either; but that was of minor importance.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Kerrul

The brutish man looks sidelong at the boy. He closes his eyes, and focuses for several seconds. Finally, he speaks. His voice is low, and the rage, while still there, is more controlled. You are right. If I go off in a blind, unfocused rage, then I will do more harm for Halavan and my master's memory than vengance. This doesn't mean for a moment that I will hesitate to kill the wizard, or anyone who I believe aided him. But, since you ask, I will hold my hand on the rest of the guild until I know for a fact that they were involved or complacent in Shadowbone's death.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228

Justance Senneset

"Shadowbone. Shadowbone was his name." His eyes went unfocused as he stared at the wall. "I owe him...a debt. Even a Halavanite." This last was spoken with no trace of disdain.

Justance looked straight at Spinesnap. "If you stay your hand, then I support you in this."

He turned to the thief taker, the one from the tavern. "I gather that the wizard was invisible when he left; but the weapons here are not unblooded. Is there any hope of tracking him by his wounds? Surely there must be a trail...."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aeyamar

That is quite the pressing question 'Who gets the sword'? there's no way I'm letting a temple get control of it. Destroying it, doesn't make sense either because it could still be useful...

Aeyamar looked up at all of them. There is no way I'm letting the sword go to a temple, whether it be Halavan, Ranna, or Alson. The possession of such a weapon could throw the balance of power here even more askew. The sowrd should be destroyed, but it is likely this will require some special spells, potions, or rituals to accomplish. After obtaining it, the sword should be well hidden until it can be properly removed from existance.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230

Lorsan tries to calm the situation. "I suppose we'll decide what to do with the sword once we get to it."

Holgier responds. "I shall still inform my superiors at the Temple of Alson of this matter. The rest of you can track this wizard down, but if the Temple were to take it with a squad of soldiers, it would be better." With that, he walks stright out of the house.

Lorsan shakes his head and goes down on his knees, looking for a trail of blood, as Justance suggested.

[Which he doesn't find. Others looking for it make Search checks.]

21. - Top - End - #231

Justance saw one of the thief-takers go down to his hands and knees, so he joined the man looking for a blood trail or some other indication of the wizard's passing.

[OOC: Search Check: 1d20+3 = 16]
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Kerrul

Taking his hint from the other actions, Kerrul lets himself fall into his rage and bloodlust, letting it hone his senses, like the sight of a meal beyond reach will whet the hunger of a chained animal.

1d20+2=20
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aeyamar

Aeyamar starts searching by the door for any traces of blood.

Search check (1d20=4)+7=11
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Panian

Well we're not getting anywhere here. We should just hunt him down and worry about the details later.

With a sigh, Panian drops to his knee and begins scanning the ground near the doorway for any traces of blood

Seach check: 1d20+2=22 (Natural 20)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #235

[Adj, you haven't posted for two days. Please do.]

Panian, you find a small trail of blood leading out the door and down the stairs. It is only sporadic, in tiny blotches spaced far apart, and slight, which indicating that the wizard was running very fast, down the stairs and out the door, into the street.

[Following the trail of blood in the street would be tracking, so that's a Survival check. I'm going to ignore the "can't do it if it's over DC 10 without the Track feat" thing and allow you all to make a check, whether you have Track or not.]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gondal Wynn

Gondal listened as the other occupants of the room argued amongst themselves. Knowledge of the sword, which had been news to him just a few hours earlier, seemed to have colored the discussion and negotiations about tracking down the wizard. Seeing Lorsan try to follow the trail of blood, Gondal gives a go at locating and tracking the splattered drops.

[OOC:
    Gondal search check: 1d20+9 = 29 - Woot! natural 20!
    Gondal Knowledge (local) check: 1d20+7 = 11

Ack! my bad guys! somehow I just missed this on my list of things to post in. Really sorry about that. Using Knowledge local for a kind of poor man's track, figuring that, at least in the River Quarter, knowledge of the streets and alleys might help Gondal with his search/track.
    Adjudicator

27. - Top - End - #237

Justance Senneset

Justance heard Panian's excalamation, and came over to see what he had found.

"Excellent! Maybe now we can discover where he went."

Using the blood spatters as a starting point, Justance attempted to determine which direction the wizard had headed.

"I think it's this way. Come on!"

[OOC: Survival check: 1d20+3 = 4.

Yes, that's right: a critical failure. So Justance is now headed in exactly the wrong direction; and if his CHA modifier gets involved, this could be bad all around...]
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Kerrul

The thug nods grimly at Panians discovery, then tries to find more blood. A bit at a time wizard. We will catch up, then you will die.

1d20+2=12

(Blech, Kerrul'll probably believe you)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aeyamar

This is rediculous, there's no way we're going to be able to track an invisible wizard acrosss the city in the middle of the night.
    Has anyone found a trail yet. Or am I seaching for something that isn't there?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Panian

Pointing to the trail of blood on the ground Panian attempts to follow it. Hey theres a trail of blood over here. He was moving fast. . . .

Survival Check: 1d20+0=7

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika