New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Now I'm not one to comment on parenting skills (and I also understand that lots of people say this is a good system for discipline), but this sentence is the best. I imagine a very strict person saying it with the same tone they'd threaten to test out their new rifle and it cracks me up every time.

I'd be an awful parent.
    I've thought about that too. It's actually a hilarious phrase but when you're a kid ANYTHING said in that tone of voice becomes Something That You Don't Want To Happen. Weird how that works.

My dad used to threaten to do crazy stuff (his favorite was "cut your heart out with a spoon", which I didn't get till I was about twelve and I watched that movie) but we knew he was joking.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    DAMMIT! I knew I forgot something.

Seriously tho, am I gonna die from my pink chicken?
    yes. Chicken has to be well done on the inside to be safe.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I've thought about that too. It's actually a hilarious phrase but when you're a kid ANYTHING said in that tone of voice becomes Something That You Don't Want To Happen. Weird how that works.
    I suppose I found it more funny than the average person because I have quite liberal parents who I got on well with when I was younger. I never really heard anything of the sort.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMew View Post
    yes. Chicken has to be well done on the inside to be safe.
    I was afraid of that. Thanks Friendly Neighbourhood SpiderMew.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was afraid of that. Thanks Friendly Neighbourhood SpiderMew.
    If you eat it and it dosnt kill you, you will be fealing like something crawled up and died inside you later.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Banned

What doesn't kill you, makes you easier to kill.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    What doesn't kill you, makes you easier to kill.
    What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I suppose I found it more funny than the average person because I have quite liberal parents who I got on well with when I was younger. I never really heard anything of the sort.
    My parents were that way too, except when it came to being rude. They were never authoritarian - whenever we were punished for anything, they made sure that we were aware of what it was for and why they objected to it. And though I threw massive tantrums every day between 2 and 3, I was never spanked.

9. - Top - End - #339

On a completely different note, why did the music playing in the background of The Real Hustle make Lotus by REM get stuck in my head? Who knows? All I know is that I'm kind of happy it did. I forgot how much I liked that song.

Anyone else have bizarre associations like that?

(and for a bonus point, anyone else take three tries to decide whether or not "associations" has three Ss?)
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-21 at 06:00 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

10. - Top - End - #340
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

If chicken is pink is it likely to kill me. It's been in the oven for 2.5 hours but is still fairly pink.
    It is normal for certain parts of the ckicken to be still pink. I believe the breast is the most common part.

As for it being safe, did it reach 165 degF/74 degC?

http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/102/page:2

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #341
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Children are the ultimate egotists. Three is, therefore, not old enough to know better, although old enough to respond when told to stop. If it were my sibling the dealing-with would happen as follows.

"<name>, please stop."

if the child continues, then:

"<name>, it's not polite to ignore someone when they ask you to stop doing something. If you do it again, you're going to have to go sit in a chair."

And if they do it again, they have to go sit in a chair by themselves until they apologize. Sometimes this turns into a tantrum, but you can't break down because consequences threatened must be carried out.
    I've asked politely, I've told the child to stop, hell I've even headbutted the child once. Nothing works.

And, yeah, I can't give something that isn't mine a time out. I imagine part of her bastardry comes from the fact that her parents don't have the will to break her of the habit of thinking it's ok to alternate between constantly squawking to ask if she can get out of her time out and throwing an out and out tantrum.

It's enough to make one wonder whether classism might have some validity to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I've asked politely, I've told the child to stop, hell I've even headbutted the child once. Nothing works.

And, yeah, I can't give something that isn't mine a time out. I imagine part of her bastardry comes from the fact that her parents don't have the will to break her of the habit of thinking it's ok to alternate between constantly squawking to ask if she can get out of her time out and throwing an out and out tantrum.

It's enough to make one wonder whether classism might have some validity to it.
    Yeah, unfortunately, it sounds like an overall discipline problem.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Try more headbutting.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Try more headbutting.
    Generally effective childrearing strategy. :nods:

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Rhetorical Query: Is Blueberry not the supremely best flavor for any sort of popsicle?

Aggravatingly Non-Rhetorical Reply: No, it is of course Mango.

Conceding of Point: I concede.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Rhetorical Query: Is Blueberry not the supremely best flavor for any sort of popsicle?

Very nice scholastic structure. Thomas Aquinas would approve.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Bugbear in the Playground

It is hard to deal with kids whose parents won't help, indeed.

I have difficulties even with my brother, and we managed to be astoundingly different with the same parentage. If anyone knows how to break a kid's ego aside from completely embarassing the poor snot in front of his peers, please let me know.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post

Flailing of Arms: However, you're missing the point that dogs can be vegetarian, while cats cannot.

Standing on a chair: You're missing the point. The one about dogs.

Shouting: I WIN THE ARGUMENT
    BANG → !

19. - Top - End - #349
    Banned

My cat is vege- wait, this isn't some horrible innuendo you guys just made up, right? Right?

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Try more headbutting.
    This is a headbutt of love!
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    My cat is vege- wait, this isn't some horrible innuendo you guys just made up, right? Right?
    However, you're missing the point that dogs can be vegetarian, while cats cannot.

...ladies.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my friends said she hates meat. I bit my lip and resisted the urge to talk about roast beef.
    Spoiler
    Show

Red Mage, is that you?
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Scorpina -- Bingo.

Google "childfree" if you haven't already. You're not the first person I've heard that story from.
    Heh, I'm familiar with childfree and consider myself such. I've never seen the bingo card before though. That amuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    See, on the one hand, I'm sympathetic to Scorpina for the lack of social graces possessed by her coworker.

But on the other hand, people that come up with their own social culture like that just skeeve me the hell out.

Also, the name just doesn't do enough for me to see why anyone would really want to label themselves that way.
    Because 'childless' suggests that we'd be missing out on something, which we really don't think we are. That or it suggests that it's somehow wrong (either morally or just plain incorrect) to not have children, which we also don't agree with.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

One of my friends said she hates meat. I bit my lip and resisted the urge to talk about roast beef.
    I can't remember if I got the link from here or from facebook, but I feel it's appropriate in this context.

A view from the other side - Vegetarianism*

This is supposed to be in good humour, guys. Don't take it too seriously.

Edit: Credit goes to Archie as he was the one that posted it on FaceBook and I got it from there.
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2010-06-22 at 05:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Banned

Whereas "childfree" has the opposite spin of denigrating parents and parenthood. . .For general train-wrecking of that line of inquiry from casual acquaintances, "Pfft, not me, I keep my love chute* clean" managed to retain the implied insult and wrench the focus off of children and onto SEX OMG, which takes most possible replies into the zone of 'too uncomfortable to further discuss in public'. If you do end up butting heads with one of those people who won't mind discussing this in public, at length, you do need to beat a hasty retreat from SEX OMG and pretend to such innocence that your questioner forgets the opening position and gets uncomfortable with the idea that questioner now seems to be giving the birds-and-bees talk to a grown woman.

*euphemism not used

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    I can't remember if I got the link from here or from facebook, but I feel it's appropriate in this context.

A view from the other side - Vegetarianism*

This is supposed to be in good humour, guys. Don't take it too seriously.
    Heh.
    "And not a word about this to Wendy."
    I actually don't really care about her being vegetarian, or anyone else; it's the obnoxious ones who try to force it on everyone else I dislike.
    However, she's also a lesbian. And, well... Roast beef. Slang makes my life so much easier.
    Spoiler
    Show

Red Mage, is that you?

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Heh.
    "And not a word about this to Wendy."
    I actually don't really care about her being vegetarian, or anyone else; it's the obnoxious ones who try to force it on everyone else I dislike.
    However, she's also a lesbian. And, well... Roast beef. Slang makes my life so much easier.
    I've tried to use the argument in the clip when it comes to coffee issues. I don't drink coffee, so I see no point in having coffee of any sort in my house, and that irritated my grandmother to the point where she said that she would not come visit me if I didn't have coffee for her to drink while she was there.
    I found that a rather excessive reaction to my not buying coffee that would then just sit in my cupboard until it went bad.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    I've tried to use the argument in the clip when it comes to coffee issues. I don't drink coffee, so I see no point in having coffee of any sort in my house, and that irritated my grandmother to the point where she said that she would not come visit me if I didn't have coffee for her to drink while she was there.
    I found that a rather excessive reaction to my not buying coffee that would then just sit in my cupboard until it went bad.
    It is a rather extreme argument. Heck, I dislike the guy slightly for trying to force his views on the vegetarianism, and I object to vegetarianism on an instinctual level. I'm all for the mass murder of other species in order to feed ours. Of course, avoiding extinction is optimal, but we can breed 'em a lot.
    Spoiler
    Show

Red Mage, is that you?

29. - Top - End - #359
    Banned

That used to be true, but nowadays it seems you can buy individually-packed servings of coffee, so you won't have a visitor open the entire bag on week 1, then come back on week 51 and wonder why your coffee has gone stale. (I am also guessing that coffee purists do NOT want to be served the just-add-boiling-water instant stuff, never mind that it's more convenient to serve alongside the teabags and cocoa sachets. My kingdom for a carafé!)

[EDIT: Waitwaitwaitwait. Wait. You have devised a way to stop selected people from using your foreign residence as a bed-and-breakfast. Why did I not think of this? (Joking! Joking. I do enjoy the visits and I do enjoy hosting people, but it is a bit of a running joke how people suddenly want to vacation in spot X once someone in the family ((me)) is living there.)]
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2010-06-22 at 04:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    That used to be true, but nowadays it seems you can buy individually-packed servings of coffee, so you won't have a visitor open the entire bag on week 1, then come back on week 51 and wonder why your coffee has gone stale. (I am also guessing that coffee purists do NOT want to be served the just-add-boiling-water instant stuff, never mind that it's more convenient to serve alongside the teabags and cocoa sachets. My kingdom for a carafé!)

[EDIT: Waitwaitwaitwait. Wait. You have devised a way to stop selected people from using your foreign residence as a bed-and-breakfast. Why did I not think of this? (Joking! Joking. I do enjoy the visits and I do enjoy hosting people, but it is a bit of a running joke how people suddenly want to vacation in spot X once someone in the family ((me)) is living there.)]
    The issue arose with my grandmother before I moved abroad. She did come visit me here in Scotland after i mved here, though, and she liked it a lot.
    She and my mother just went out and bought one of those small jars of instant coffee and were happy with that for the week they were over. It was about half empty when they left, and at that point, I could without a guilty conscience just throw it away.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.