New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    And for some reason I am pleased that I "beat" you in the field of extended house-occupancy with fourteen years, though I'm sure someone will come along and make me feel inferior with a story of how they built their house from sticks and mud when they were an embryo and have lived in it for over a hundred years. I mean, it is GitP.
    Not quite that, but my family have lived in the same house for over 15 years now. I moved out after about 14.5, though I'm still there pretty regularly.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    So, some of my female friends who use formspring.me got a "question" saying "You are absolutely beautiful." Apparently, at least 8 girls got it. One of them noticed and pointed out that the compliment was a tad impersonal given that it was sent to a bunch of girls.
    I (anonymously) told them all I agree. I feel this has put me well on my way to filling my quota of kindness for the day.
    But surely that's just as impersonal?

Not that it isn't really nice of you to do that for your friends, of course.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
    But surely that's just as impersonal?

Not that it isn't really nice of you to do that for your friends, of course.
    Oh, it is. I mentioned my hypocrisy, actually. I just figure hearing it from two (anonymous but likely different; I used better grammar, a wider vocabulary and all caps) sources is more believable than just one.

Plus, I figure it'll be enough of a head-scratcher figuring out who sent the all-caps message that I'll have amusement for a while using that persona. I've already started shrouding my involvement by insulting myself.
    I love using the anonymous option.

EDIT: This doesn't invalidate me for placing more emphasis on the "bastard" than the "magnificent", right? I'd like to keep my plans for universe domination untainted by something like the expectation of mercy or kindness.
    Last edited by absolmorph; 2010-06-20 at 09:06 AM.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

4. - Top - End - #244

My reading list for next term is going to be expensive. But moderately awesome.

Got to spend some three and a bit hours chatting with mum and Eldest Uncle of All, learnt so much. About many many things.
    Oh, and my new bed was really good. I mean really good. Fantastic night's sleep once I got used to it.

The weather continues surprisingly warm and fine. Am going to be out later this evening.
    Or possibly in about half an hour as Little Brother has gotten into heavy metal and thrash metal. And it's audible through walls and ceilings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

On houses: I have been in my current residence for seven and a half years (not counting the intervals of several months during which I've left). All told, I've inhabited thirteen houses, eight towns/cities, four US states, and three countries.

^: Welcome to Oregon, my dear, the weather's been ****ed since I got here.
    Clearly you have not left the one-third of the state that actually gets rain, i.e., the West Side. You are thus discounting Central, Southern, and Eastern Oregon. I have never lived on the West Side and am thus enormously displeased when people assume that the state is green, verdant, and wet. Not the Oregon I know and love!

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I like that name . . . I shall steal it and use it equally alongside Britland. It makes me happy.
    It is 'England' in Spanish. We also have Gales (Wales), Escocia (Scotland), and Irlanda (Ireland). The UK is (according to my dictionary, because I had to look it up) Reino Unido, or RU. Which makes sense, because Reino Unido means, well, United Kingdom.

And so it's a switch every two years on average, the most recent one was last October because, you know, university.
    We have five bedrooms in our house, and up until this year every single person in our family except me had at some point occupied every single one. Back when there were only three kids, each of us got our own, my parents had one, and we had a guest room. But now there are five of us (including cycoris) and therefore there is no guest bedroom. Riss has the purple room, whuch used to be mine (that happened while I was gone), I'm in the old guest bedroom/playroom (which is, amusingly, the largest of the rooms), oldest brother has the yellow room, two younger brothers share the blue room, and my parents have the crooked room/library (it really is crooked, one wall has a jink in it, and it's really long and thin...but there are tons of built-in shelves overflowing with books, so it's also the library).

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    *snipsnip who cares what he said?*
    ZOMG IT'S RAWHIDE!

Also: My dad is on the couch screaming because NZ just almost scored and he REALLY wants them to beat Italy.

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    On houses: I have been in my current residence for seven and a half years (not counting the intervals of several months during which I've left). All told, I've inhabited thirteen houses, eight towns/cities, four US states, and three countries.
    Two houses, one country, one county, two towns. I'm really really boring apparently.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

7. - Top - End - #247

Two houses, one country, one county, two towns. I'm really really boring apparently.
    Three houses, one country, two counties, two cities and a nearby town.

@Curly: Get some powerful speakers and retaliate with something classical.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

8. - Top - End - #248

o.O
    That's rather a lot.
    Although Law Friend has lived (because of her dad's work) in many places, Malaysia, Nigeria, another African country whose name I've forgotten, India, Inglaterra, several other places . . .
    She travelled a lot.

It is 'England' in Spanish. We also have Gales (Wales), Escocia (Scotland), and Irlanda (Ireland). The UK is (according to my dictionary, because I had to look it up) Reino Unido, or RU. Which makes sense, because Reino Unido means, well, United Kingdom.

I thought it was new and snazzy. But I shall steal it anyway! Besides, it sounds better than Angleterre. I also like Escocia, but I prefer Cymru.

Also: My dad is on the couch screaming because NZ just almost scored and he REALLY wants them to beat Italy.
    Ugh, boys. What's up with this football thing anyway? Something big going on?
    Whenever this World Spoon goes on we should just beam all football supporters into space. It'd clear a lot of the air as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #249

Ugh, boys.
    Ugh, generalisations.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

10. - Top - End - #250

o.OUgh, boys. What's up with this football thing anyway? Something big going on?
    Whenever this World Spoon goes on we should just beam all football supporters into space. It'd clear a lot of the air as well.
    I think they may have been talking about Rugby.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Bit harsh don't you think?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Barbarian in the Playground

Im not into the world cup thing soccer bleh.
    American Football is real football.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

I think my dad explained it to me best. Italy is one of the premier soccer (Sorry, Football) playing nations in the world. New Zealand doesn't even have it's own national league. The fact that they tied with Italy is a pretty big deal.

To put it in perspective, it's like a no-name author whose only published work is a dietary tip in Parade Magazine tying with oh, say, Terry Pratchett for England's greatest author award.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

I don't know. They seem to be talking about one of those sports not to the American taste, which is to say that it has goals and only goals as a measure of progress. We prefer sports with sub-divisions of accomplishments. The American football ("handegg", "armpit ball", etc.) field is the same size as the here-there-be-dragons football field, but has every yard marked plainly so we can see advancement in every minute. Basketball has the 24-second shot clock. Baseball has the advancement of bases and an orgy of secondary statistics. (Hockey hasn't the same punctuation of pace as the other sports. We're only putting up with it until someone invents a different winter team-based sport.)

Actually I rather like sports as mindless TV background noise. Documentaries can annoy when slanted, and news can annoy when intruding upon me and mine, but sports has the clean factual content and the irrelevance which means I can relegate it to mindless background noise. Win-win!
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2010-06-20 at 11:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

Ugh, generalisations.
    Fair cop, but it is true that most football (or soccer) fans are boys.
    And all this football football FoOtBaLl, fOoTbAlL talk every which way I turn or even look is, frankly, getting on my tits.
    Even the adverts are designed around football, that moronic ten minute long MaccyD's for one, and lots of channels interrupt the adverts for an update on scoring.
    Rawr.

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    I think my dad explained it to me best. Italy is one of the premier soccer (Sorry, Football) playing nations in the world. New Zealand doesn't even have it's own national league. The fact that they tied with Italy is a pretty big deal.

To put it in perspective, it's like a no-name author whose only published work is a dietary tip in Parade Magazine tying with oh, say, Terry Pratchett for England's greatest author award.
    I suppose it's unusual, but it's still annoying. And given the trend for good teams (or so they say) to be beaten by bad teams (as they call them) or drawn, I wouldn't be surprised if [insert underdog here] won.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #256

And given the trend for good teams (or so they say) to be beaten by bad teams (as they call them) or drawn, I wouldn't be surprised if [insert underdog here] won.
    I would, since the underdog who most readily come to mind are, well, us. And everyone knows England never win these things.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #257

Even the adverts are designed around football, that moronic ten minute long MaccyD's for one, and lots of channels interrupt the adverts for an update on scoring.
    It's made me realise just how disillusioned I am with advertising. I mean, how can you even make the viewer think that your product is better unless your product is:
    a) a picture/video
    b) a sound
    c) both?

YOU CANNOT ADVERTISE PERFUME. Please, companies, stop trying. I don't need a man running down an empty street in black and white to persuade me to buy your perfume, I need it to smell nice. If I'm out to purchase some new perfume (which is admittedly unlikely) I'm not going to go into a shop and say "Oh hey, that's the perfume that had the great advertisment on TV! The one in black with the man who was topless and all the silk." I'm going to go into a shop and say "Oh hey, perfume! Let's smell them all and choose which one I like the smell of most (if it's within my price range)." Similarly, I'm not going to go to the shops and buy some food because the people having a barbecue on the advert looked like they were enjoying themselves, I'm going to buy it because I happen to like the particular food and I'm definitely not going to be phoning British Gas to change my electricity provider because their pseudo-people in that awful "drawn body, photographed head" animation style are playing goshdarned football. Yes, I know it's "thematic", but it has nothing to do with utilities. I'd be fine if they were advertising, say, a football school and they showed people playing football, but they are advertising FLAMMABLE GAS THAT GETS PIPED TO YOU SO YOU CAN EAT HOT FOOD AND STAY WARM.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-20 at 12:44 PM.
    BANG → !

18. - Top - End - #258

lots of channelsposters interrupt the advertsthread for an update on scoringthe lulz.
    Rawr.THREE LIONS ON THE SHIRT

There's one particularly bizarre advert which shows football in slow motion, and then suddenly declares "If only everything stopped as quickly as tyres from Continental". The contrast was hilarious.
    Last edited by Fifty-Eyed Fred; 2010-06-20 at 02:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

A good deal of marketing and PR is designed to change how you perceive a product, not how you rate it.

Now that we shower every day with good soap and use good detergent on our clothes, humans don't smell anywhere near as bad as they did many years ago. Yet, people still buy perfume because they think it's romantic rather than just primitive deodorant.

Diamonds are only valuable because everyone thinks they are. It's really just run by a cartel.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2010-06-20 at 12:54 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

20. - Top - End - #260

I know, and that's part of why I'm so disillusioned. It's all a sham, really. They're not trying to get you to think their product's the best because of its merits, they're just trying to get you to think of their product.
    BANG → !

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

No sense griping about it. You're not their target demographic and they've written you off years ago.

All you can really do is to buy what you actually like and hope that it decreases their sales, and thus their advertising budgets.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    No sense griping about it. You're not their target demographic and they've written you off years ago.
    Haha, yep. If it were my choice, I wouldn't have a television anyway so...
    BANG → !

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Weather around here is really unstable now. We've had shining sun and a minor thunderstorm in the same day today.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMew View Post
    Im not into the world cup thing soccer bleh.
    American Football is real football.
    I'm not into the football thing either (and the vuvuzelas are concentrated headache two rooms away from a radio set on low volume), but I've got no idea on why you call your rugby-with-protection football!? I mean, the foot to ball contact is minimal, and you mostly spend your time running around with it in your armpit. Real football is about kicking around a ball with your foot, just as it should be. I mean, foot-ball. Could it be clearer than that? Could it? COULD IT?

RAEG!!!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post

I'm not into the football thing either (and the vuvuzelas are concentrated headache two rooms away from a radio set on low volume), but I've got no idea on why you call your rugby-with-protection football!? I mean, the foot to ball contact is minimal, and you mostly spend your time running around with it in your armpit. Real football is about kicking around a ball with your foot, just as it should be. I mean, foot-ball. Could it be clearer than that? Could it? COULD IT?

RAEG!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Just seemed appropriate.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Just seemed appropriate.
    Handegg? Wow, that sounds like some sort of pork byproduct. Oh the irony.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    Handegg? Wow, that sounds like some sort of pork byproduct. Oh the irony.
    You'll never guess what AFL players are.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Ugh. Not the American Football/Association Football discussion again...
    It never ends well, and threads have been locked (I believe) because of it.

Just leave it alone. Different people have different preferences, and the naming of a sport doesn't matter. Hell, Rugby's full name is Rugby Football, but people tend to forget that, and there's not a whole lot of kicking of the ball in Rugby Football either.
    Also, Aussie Rules Football involves a lot of running about with the ball as well, but noone racks down on that. Kind of weird, isn't it?

I need to put my feet in a tub of cold water now. Been running about reffing a football game today. My burnt arms from yesterday didn't like being out in the sun much today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post

I need to put my feet in a tub of cold water now. Been running about reffing a football game today. My burnt arms from yesterday didn't like being out in the sun much today.
    Aah, but what KIND of football were you playing?

Alright, I'll stop now.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Aah, but what KIND of football were you playing?
    I wasn't playing. I was officiating.
    And it was American Football. In Scotland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

30. - Top - End - #270

On advertising, I do find the majority of adverts get much worse once you find out what they're advertising.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."