New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Paladin's Heart

"Ohhhhh..." Manar's silent for as long as it takes to get to the kitchen. The smell of warm stew reminds her what she's supposed to be doing, though, and she opens the door and beckons her new friends in. "Right this way. Mind the first step. The communal pot's over there; grab a bowl and spoon from the rack by it, and use the ladle hanging by the main vat." She shows them how by deftly scooping up a bowl and spooning herself some stew, then waits for them to do the same before wiping whatever sticks to the spoon off with a stain-splotched towel there for such a purpose. "Sit wherever you like; most of the evening crowd's gone by now, so there'll be plenty open," she says as she does so, gesturing at the rows of sparsely populated tables with the ladle before hanging it back where it belongs.
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon walked quietly to the dining hall. He'd taken time to clean up before arriving, but he hadn't taken the time to eat. He spooned Buddy a bowl, taking care to add a few extra chunks of meat to it, then took a large, for a halfling, portion himself. "Do you know anything of what is going on Lady Manar?"
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:10 PM.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

3. - Top - End - #63

Manar smiles and starts in on her portion. "The only thing I've heard that you haven't is 'Could you make yourself useful getting everyone settled in?'; sad to say, nothing else they've told me has been anything resembling an answer, and His Grace is always busy. Pity, that, since every time I run into someone I find a few more questions...." She shakes her head. "But for now, all we can do is settle in and get to know each other, I guess."
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"We're the first ones here then?" Buddy yelped and Rayvon said, "Buddy would like to be excused to explore."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:11 PM.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

5. - Top - End - #65

"Shouldn't be a problem if he explores a bit; he'll know how to find us, right?" She smiles at Buddy again, then turns her attention back to Rayvon. "You're not first, though; first was a paladin of Tyr who goes by Samson. He arrived earlier today. We might run into him at some point; you'll know him when you see him, I think. He stands out."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As soon as Manar gave permission Buddy trotted off towards the door, pausing for a second before disappearing through it, "He'll be able to find me, yes. Why does he stand out anymore than the rest?"
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

"You'll see." Manar smiles mysteriously. "Let's just say he's head and shoulders above all of us, hm?"

I've probably been hanging around Florian far too long.... ah, well. A little mystery's good for all of us.

"Soooo.... if you don't mind my asking, how'd you end up walking the paladin's path?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"You certainly know how ask slightly painful questions don't you?" *He frowned thoughtfully and paused for a moment, "Let's just say I'm ashamed that it took tragedy and betrayal to start me down the road to salvation."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

...and people want me to do this why? If I can't even open my mouth without hitting something sensitive...

"I'm sorry.... I guess since most of the stories I've heard from members of my Order about the kinds of things I'm asking were generally pleasant memories, I didn't think..." Manar becomes VERY interested in what's left of her stew.

....and that's going to help even less. Though given the order, you'd think.... gah, shows what happens when you try to generalize, doesn't it? Merciful Lathander, why me?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon smiled at the tall human woman, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be what I am, despite the pain of the passing. It's like being reborn, which in a sense it was. I was just a fool not to see my path earlier. I was a vagabond and a delinquent after I was old enough that the orphanage couldn't keep me anymore. Always looking for the easy way, or the fast way, or the fun way. I was more interested in myself than others. When you grow up with nothing sometimes you get selfish," he sighed and looked at the ceiling for a moment. "It took a young priestess to mature me, losing her to set me in motion, and the matron mother to focus me down this path. I was lucky, one small difference and I could be down an entirely different route. I thank Yondalla I wasn't found wanting."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Manar smiles back. "That actually sounds a lot like most of the stories that come out of my Order; we're focused on turnarounds, after all, so rare's the person who doesn't have at least a few spots coming in. Theoretically, I'm one of the relatively clean ones, but given that I was a performer first, I've seen people who'd argue that that isn't the case--and hey, that's their opinion, so I'm not going to worry about it. But we've always believed that the ones best suited to bring people to the light are those who know of its power for change...." She finishes off her stew. "Dirty dishes go in that tub in the corner, by the way," she adds, pointing to a wooden tub, half-filled with water, with her spoon.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon chuckled, "A performer huh? Explains why you were set to greeting us. Any suggestions on what to do while we wait for the rest?"

13. - Top - End - #73

"Well.... there's some nice trails out back for hiking; there's getting cleaned up and ready, not that that generally takes too long--" ...as I had to figure out the hard way...., "--there's general exploring, icebreaker games, sitting in on the services, volunteering with the people whose turn it is to take care of the domestic stuff..." She leans down and whispers conspiratorially, "And I hear they feed their volunteers," then straightens and finishes, "...anyhow, the possibilities are pretty wide. What do you usually do when you're stuck waiting? I might be able to help you figure out where's best to do it hereabouts."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon smiled and pulled a pouch from his belt and dumped it carefully on the table. A few tools can be seen, as well as a half finished toy, a small knight. "Usually I make toys. Although if I get bored of that I sometimes play cards or dice..."

15. - Top - End - #75

Manar's smile widens. "That's wonderful! I've never managed to do anything more complicated than sewing...." She thinks for a moment, then continues, "Well, we've got workrooms indoors and nice quiet places outdoors.... and I know if nothing else we can see about continuing our language exchange with Aleksei, if he's still willing--there's also some lovely trails out back to look around. Including one that goes to a lookout point partway up the eastern face of the mountain, so if you time it right you get the most beautiful sunrise view. People from my Order visiting make a point of seeing it at least once; it's a strong experience for us." Speaking of which, I should probably find time sometime during this visit. Maybe tomorrow morning, if we don't get any early birds....

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Perhaps, new sights are always impressive, and a part of our faith. If you're really interested in languages, I will teach you how to understand Buddy. Unfortunately we kind of need him to be here, I can't begin to duplicate some of the sounds he makes."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aleksei had ducked out earlier, and most everyone else had cleared out of the mess hall while the two talked. But as they sat, a distinct clop-clop-clop sound of hooves could be heard coming down the hall, and they both turned to look at the newcomer.

It was really hard to measure exactly how big Samson was as he passed through the door, which was big enough that he did not have to bend over. But when he saw Manar, his face lit up and he walked over, and it became immediately apparant how large he stood.

Rayvon had never actually seen a minotaur before, though he certainly knew of them from tales, and to say he was stunned to see one of these legendary monsters walk into the room, let alone be dressed in obviously religous vestments, is quite the understatement.
    Similes are like metaphors.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon looked confused for a moment, then chuckled. "I understand now," he said as he rose. "The first arrival I assume? I am Rayvon."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Samson runs his hand through his freshly trimmed hair, and he looks a bit confused.

First arrival? I assure you, there were others here when I came. But I am Samson, paladin of Tyr. Sir Rayvon, what brings you here?

He reaches out to shake hands with the halfling, and finds his hand to be about as long as Rayvon's arm.

He looks towards Manar.

Lady Manar, how has your evening been? For my part, I was able to locate a barber. I am most pleased with his work. After that, I retired to my quarters for a short rest, and then hunger woke me. Pardon me for a moment.

He motions to the kitchen, and then turns, going and getting a large helping of whatever meat is available, along with some stew and a beverage. When he returns, he sits, gingerly testing the chair before letting his whole weight rest upon it.

They have well-made furniture here. Sir Rayvon, where do you come from?

20. - Top - End - #80

"I'm glad you could join us. We've another new arrival as well, though he wandered off a bit ago; I'll introduce you when he gets back." Manar smiles. "Good to see you've been finding everything you need; as for me, well.... I've been busy. 'S fun, though. By the time this's over, I imagine I'll be grateful for having met so many people, though for now it's more along the lines of wishing they'd either get here all at once and get it over with or one at a time." She laughs.

21. - Top - End - #81

Samson nods.

I too am eager to meet with this leader and find out what caused us to be summoned. There must be dark forces at work. Did you know that this temple has the symbol of the morninglord built into its walls? I was just noticing that while exploring the second level. I was amazed.

Samson begins to eat quickly, but carefully, cutting the food before passing it through his jaws.

The chefs here are talented, but I feel like they overcooked the bird a bit.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon looked like he was about to answer the minotaur's first question when Samson's attention shifted to Manar. The minotaur's attention shifted back to Rayvon and asked him another question... Rayvon's expression became quite confused. Maybe he's a bit slow in the head? Rayvon chose to ignore the questions and comment on the current line of conversation, maybe he's forgotten already anyway. "Yes, very good for human fare. If you want to see some real talent, come to a halfling village, if there was one thing I as an orphan never lacked it was good food..." he smiled then stopped for a second and looked speculatively at the minotaur, and a wide grin crossed his face, "The doors would need to be widened and the roofs lifted first though."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Samson snorts, and by now Manar recognizes this as his laugh.

Even the humans had to enlarge doors for me. I wouldn't be surprised if I filled your entire common area. That, an my tastes in food are likely very different from your own. Nevertheless, I would give it a try.

Samson nods and rolls his head in a circle.

I know it is rude to interrogate, but Sir Rayvon, you never told me where you came from or why you are here.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon smiled, "You seemed to be a bit distracted, I didn't want to interrupt. I was down in Baldur's Gate when I was called here. I originally hail from a small village in Cormyr. And yourself?"
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Interrupting them all, Aleksei, looking a good deal cleaner than he had before, walked in with an irritated look on his face, which was replaced by shock, then determination as his hand reached for his sword, then surprise as he realized that the minotaur in this room was not rampaging and the other three were looking at him rather calmly. His mouth worked noiselessly for a moment before he plopped down across from Manar, next to the halfling, still staring at Samson while trying not to look as though he was staring.
    Similes are like metaphors.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei, looking slightly stunned (and rather annoyed), took a moment to compose himself before speaking.

What is a minotaur doing here, of all places!

"...I believe I do not know your...friend, Manar. Could you perhaps introduce us properly?"

First Balthor won't even let me SEE him-let alone explain why I dragged myself through so many leagues of hostile land-, and now there's a minotaur in the common room. I suppose they do things differently this far south...
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon chuckled a bit, and addressed Manar,"You may want to give the rest of our arrivals a bit more warning. The rest of them may not be able to handle a, um, joke as well as Alek and myself. Although I have to admit, I might not tell them either," he grinned ear to ear, "But someone might have a weak heart and die from shock."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Samson turns to face the new arrival at the table, and sees Aleksei's look of distrust.

You'd think the common room of a church would be a place for more tolerance.

Samsons eyes light up, and he speaks before Manar can.

I can speak for myself, thank you very much. I am Samson, paladin of Tyr, and I was just conversing with Sir Rayvon here before we were interrupted.

Samson blows noisily through his snout, and then turns back to Rayvon.

Sir Rayvon, I assure you I am no joke. I am here by the will of Tyr. I see more no need to warn anyone of my presence than I see to warn them of yours.

Returning to our conversation, I traveled here from a small monastery located in the Greypeak mountains.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon stopped smiling and frowned, a decidedly foreign look on his cheerful face, "I'm sorry to tell you this Samson, but you're different. I'm not being rude or mean, this is merely fact. And unfortunately there are many, many people who would strike first and ask questions later, as I'm sure you've discovered on your travels. A bit of a warning isn't too much to ask. And I have seen the prejudice too Samson, don't think I haven't. I'm either too small to protect myself, or a thief who'll take anything that isn't nailed down, when neither is the truth."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Samson looks back at Rayvon, and you get the feeling that he has said what he is about to say several times.

But to acknowledge that difference, and to warn others of my presence, merely reinforces the idea that there is something naturally wrong about me that requires special warning. I would rather risk physical attack than give credence to that mindset. I am a paladin, just as you are, and I won't agree to be treated differently from any other paladin.