New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A Paladin's Heart

Aleksei listens intently. At Malfrin's question, he shakes his head. "I received no call, as some paladins do. My mentor, a paladin herself, agreed to sponsor me in the Order. I trained and took lessons with the other candidates, and I undertook the Trial successfully. The Zenith Order was founded by a paladin some time ago after he witnessed the desperation of the people in my country, for we were (and are yet, though to a lesser extent) torn by war. This paladin devised a ritual that would draw the attention of Tyr, and a series of tests for the prospective one to prove their character. Those who Tyr acknowledges as worthy are granted a paladin's station. Those who are not are often rather traumatized by the experience-a certain amount of will and fortitude are necessary for the trials.

I had thought that all of the others here were Godcalled, but from the sound of it, both of you have had similar, if perhaps more peaceful, origins as myself. It is good-I confess myself slightly overawed at Godcalled, for they were of great enough spirit for their god to come to them."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

2. - Top - End - #872
    Barbarian in the Playground

I understand how you feel, Sir Aleksei, but I respectfully disagree. While yes, it must take great strength of spirit to cause your god to beckon you forth, it also takes great strength of spirit to attempt this lifestyle without having word from your god that you are worthy. I'm not sure which method actually requires more faith.

The Order of the Merciful Sword both has Godcalled and ones who chose the life for themselves. In my experience, they show equal strength and character.
    Last edited by mdsoze; 2008-06-25 at 07:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

The young man tried hard not to think about how bad something would have to be for Aleksei to consider it traumatizing. And then he thought of the severed right hand of Tyr. Of the sacrifices that are sometimes asked of his faithful. And, finally, he decided that he really needed to think about something else.

Malfrin smiled companionably, happy to have something in common with the northern warrior.

I know what you mean! Sometimes, it feels like there's some kind of glow about them. Mind you, I'm not sure how I'd deal with the pressure that it would imply. From all the stories I heard, the personal attentions of a god aren't always good for your peace of mind...or the length of your life, either.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #874
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei considers the great minotaur's words with some care. "Perhaps there is truth in that, brother. I will think on it."

A smile lights his face, and he bows slightly. "Thank you."

Adjusting his cap, he turns again toward Malfrin.

"It is...overwhelming. Even from so good a god as Tyr, his attention focusedon you for but a brief moment is enough to make your soul writhe in its inadequacy. There have been a few whose minds were broken by the trials, and at least three of those were infiltrators from hostile nations. The full nature of our trials is only disclosed to other paladins, you see, and I doubt they thought much of the vows they spoke falsely until Tyr was gazing into their hearts."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

5. - Top - End - #875

Samson sees Aleksei and Malfrin discussing. This is good. We shall travel together.

Sir Malfrin, Sir Aleksei, I am going to take my leave. Commander Malfrin, were there any orders you had for us this evening? I apologize for my abrupt departure earlier.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

Drawing himself up into what could at best be described as a travesty of a commanding pose, Malfrin gazes imperiously up...way up...at Samson.

Sir Samson, my only remaining command is that, should you call me Commander again, I shall endeavour to find a stepladder, the better to punch you in the nose.

He quickly deflates, grinning.

This is going to be hard enough -

He includes Aleksei in the comment with a glance.

- for all of us. No need to lay more borrowed robes of honour on me than are required. I see the respect behind your words, friend, and I appreciate it. But let's lay off the "commander" for now. At least until I've done something to earn it, okay?

Sleep well, and we'll see you in the morning.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #877

Samson nods seriously.

Very well, Sir Malfrin. I believe I will sample the excellent food one last time before we depart.

Samson stands and leaves, exiting the stable quickly, making his way to the mess.

8. - Top - End - #878

Owyn nods absentmindedly as he listens to Alexei and Malfrin talk. He keeps glancing over to Manar, never quite taking his attention wholly away from her, but he definitely is focused on the conversation going on in the stables. His semi-paternal concern for Malfrin is obvious to see, but as the conflict seems to resolve itself he becomes more nervous, not less. Eventually he steels himself up enough to speak; when he does it all comes out in a rush. "Dame Manar, I - I wanted to apologize for my earlier misconduct. I was compelled in that situation to speak honestly, and - I, well - I had no intention of embarrassing you, or -" Owyn grinds to a halt and looks away, once more feeling his cheeks heat and hating them for it. "I won't let it happen again."

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

9. - Top - End - #879
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun remains in his recumbent position as the others leave, then slowly stands and bows to Balthor before leaving. He makes his way to his room and makes sure all his belongings are packed for the morning departure.

After his evening prayers, Amun decides to wander the temple one last time.
    Last edited by Glikker; 2008-06-26 at 06:02 PM. Reason: orgot to hide sig, which is cleaner for IC threads, I think.

10. - Top - End - #880

Manar half-smiles. "Don't worry about it. I had... well... it's a logical thing to have happen - unexpected slightly, but logical - and it is... flattering." At about this point she runs out of words, and goes back to her observations of the other group.
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

11. - Top - End - #881

Owyn bows to Manar and hastily turns to retreat, not really with any particular direction in mind, just wanting to get away from the situation.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand