New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Paladin's Heart

Thought so. Well, nobody said this was going to be easy!

"Ahhhh, that's the issue. I'll be glad to help you get used to our ways; it's what I'm here for and why they sent me and not someone from one of the less social orders. Speaking of which, I'd better warn you, I'm not the only surprise you're going to run into. Or the biggest." And if I merited a crossbow... down, Manar. No. Jumping. To. Conclusions. "I'll tell you now so you know not to react the wrong way--one of our other visiting paladins is a minotaur, so... well, don't overreact. We've already had one near-incident." All right, let's see how that goes over. "Either way.... right this way." She leads him towards the door through which she entered the courtyard.
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Amun's confused look returned. "My days are young in the Western lands, and the words are still new for me. Please say what is 'paladin' and 'minotaur'? The words of my summons did not mention others, but if Osiris wills it, I am eager to meet them."
    Last edited by Glikker; 2007-01-10 at 01:36 PM. Reason: fixing from forum move.

3. - Top - End - #153

Now THAT I was not expecting. Silly me... at least it'll make life easier. Once I figure out how to explain us, anyway.

She thinks for a moment, then replies, "Paladin--that's us. Those of us chosen by our gods to be shining examples of Their codes, and holy warriors. What term is used where you come from? And--well, best way for me to describe a minotaur--think someone who looks sort of like bull-meets-human, about a head or two taller than I am. I was a bit worried how you'd react because most people in these parts tend to go 'Aaaah, monster!' first and think later. Even some who in an ideal world are levelheaded and well-trained enough to know better. And since those kinds of tales only get more exaggerated as they travel..."

A moment later, she steps into one of the cross-corridors. "We turn here, by the way. There anything else you want to know?" Kinda hope he's awake enough to get the questions out of the way--goodness knows I've had all the sleep scared out of me for the next half hour. It's almost a pity we're so close to the guest wing.
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

4. - Top - End - #154

SwashbucklerGuy

Turning the corner after his host, Amun nods his head. "I see. Holy warrior, yes. We are Osir Dirat. It is Hand of Osiris. As for the other, I must wait and see.

"If I have marked the chimes of this house properly, it approaches the third hour. We have two hours then before the morning meal? I shall gladly have this time to study and pray."
    Last edited by Glikker; 2007-01-10 at 01:37 PM. Reason: fixing from forum move.

5. - Top - End - #155

So much for that.

"I'll see you at breakfast, then. That room at the end there is yours, I believe." Manar points to the door in question. "Have a good night, then." She stays in the hall long enough to make sure Amun gets properly settled, then ducks into her own room.

The next few days will be interesting....

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Manar had trouble sleeping that night. Tossing and turning for several hours, she finally got up and prayed and meditated until the 6 am bell rang. Tired and stiff, she rose, bathed, and dressed for breakfast. She grabbed an acolyte wandering by and sent her to fetch Rayvon, who was staying at the famous Yawning Portal Inn nearby. Suddenly feeling very stretched thin and worn out from the past two days and the week of travel before that, she sat in the corner of the mess hall, eating quietly and watching for the others. Nothing made sense. It was a very odd group that had ben called here, but what now? Her assignment made no sense – why analyze fellow holy warriors? She rubbed her eyes, trying to clear some of the bleariness she was feeling from the very short night after a long hard evening. Finally, they began filtering in, Aleksei first, followed by Owyn and Malfrin, and then Samson. Surprisingly, Rayvon arrived next – she had expected him to be last – and sat down next to the huge minotaur. Hoping that Amun would leave his weapons behind in case there was a scene, she had uttered only the words, “I had ano-“ when Anum walked in and saw the group.
    Similes are like metaphors.

7. - Top - End - #157

SwashbucklerGuy

Amun Natsur entered the hall and scanned the room. His eyes fell on the table containing the one person he knew, but they quickly fell on the large paladin. Without a pause he drew his longsword, the only item he carried, and ran at full speed toward the minotaur.

About six feet short of the large knight, he skidded to a halt on his knees. Placing the sword, hilt toward Samson, on the ground, he bent with his forehead to the old and pitted blade.

"Apis asha'. Ptah-Sekir-Osiris hashut. Osir Dirat Amun Natsur he'thet ketur. Dirat Apis me'ten!"

The short, dark man shows no signs of rising from his position.
    Last edited by Glikker; 2007-01-10 at 01:39 PM. Reason: fixing from forum move.

8. - Top - End - #158

That was quite unexpected. ....we should have an exchange of languages at some point, and I have to ask him what it's like where he comes from. If nothing else, so we have a few fewer surprises.

Manar spends a moment trying to get over the shock of yet another unexpected twist, then collects herself and says, "Gentlemen, meet our newest arrival, Amun Natsur, Hand of Osiris. Amun, these are..." Oh, dear, he hasn't moved.... "...well, I'm sure they can introduce themselves when you're done here...." I think we've long since gone beyond the usual range of situations they train us for.... what's the protocol for something like this? Is there one? ...I wonder what he said... what the heck do I say now? He's still not moving.... "....ahhhh.... would you like some toast?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei raises an eyebrow. "That's...interesting...I don't think I've ever seen someone do that before. Samson, perhaps you should do something? He seems to be waiting on you."

Well, certainly a novel way of introducing yourself.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

10. - Top - End - #160

Samson

Samson looks down at the kneeling man speaking a strange tongue. Carefully, he picks up Amun's sword, and examines it. He then bows to Amun, replacing the sword, and offering him a massive hand.

I know not why you honor me so, but your company is most welcomed.

11. - Top - End - #161

Owyn looked up from a plate of potatoes and eggs. "At ease, Sir Nastur. We're all equals here. Come, break your fast with us. For certain, the benches are probably more comfortable than the floor." Someone from someplace I've never been? That's unusual... There are knights here from literally all over the world. What sort of quest requires such?
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 05:06 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

Huh. I though I'd be the fish out of water. Amun? Hmm. He looks eastern. Maybe they worship minotaurs or something.

Hearing Owyn's instructions, Malfrin can't help but retort:

But some are more equal than others.

His simple breakfast complete, Malfrin gets up to clear dishes and make the table more inviting.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #163

Samson

Well, we are all equally confused by our summoning. Let us hope that we are seen today.

Samson clears his dishes, and then returns, sitting at the table.

14. - Top - End - #164

....it's times like this when I wish they'd sent someone else for this....

Manar smiles. "I'm sure they have their reasons for not speaking to us; perhaps this is a test of their patience?"

Come to think of it, my job's a test and a half, isn't it? she thinks as she too deals with her dishes, then sits back down at the table. I wonder if being able to ask the right questions is about to be needed for something.... hm, I wonder...? If this is a test, what're they looking for? What might they need? Maybe someone else has an inkling, and if nothing else it might give me a few of the answers I need....

"So.... I know none of us has any clue what we're here for, but--anyone have any guesses? Hunches? Divine inspiration? Crazy ideas that are probably so far off they're coming back to true from the other side?" She grins. "Might not be right, but if nothing else it'll be fun throwing out ideas, right?"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon covered his mouth and his shoulders shook from contained laughter. Slowly he controlled his response and a poorly hid grin lined his face. "Um, it was Amun something right? You've got the wrong impression of our friend Samson here," he paused for a moment as he stifled a chuckle, "I really don't think he's a, um, servant of Osiris. Unless there is something you still want to tell us Sammy?" He couldn't contain himself anymore and started laughing. He stopped quickly, but still couldn't remove the grin from his face, "I'm sorry Amun, it's been many years since I've been in Mulhorand, please forgive me for my outburst."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:30 PM.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

16. - Top - End - #166

Owyn chews and swallows, taking a drink of cold cider. "Has anyone heard of a plague recently, of possible supernatural origin? It would explain the prevalence of sacred knights, to both cure the healers and to defeat the plague's cause. If the foe were strong enough, it might not be possible to spare this many mighty knights, all from the same order. Or a creature that kills with fear, which we would perforce be immune to. Demons, devils, or a similar ilk... the walking dead. Or, perchance, a quest for a holy relic of days gone by, thought lost to modern times, guarded by fierce giants and wicked dragons." The tone of Owyn's voice shifts gradually from speculative to enthusiastic, from logical exploration of possibilities to pure speculation. "Forgotten ruins; inverted ziggurats floating in the sky hiding the treasures of an ancient and terrible civilization, secrets to be buried and destroyed; savage cults of subhuman beasts in the bowels of the earth." He coughs, and looks a little sheepish. "You did ask for outre."
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 05:07 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

17. - Top - End - #167

SwashbucklerGuy

After a moment of awkward silence, the still-prone Amun speaks, "She is Apis. She is handmaiden of Osiris. I have been called here, and I see now that I am come to recieve instructions from the great Apis.

"Speak, great Handmaiden, that this servant may obey!"

18. - Top - End - #168

Samson

I am not Apis. I am Samson.

Samson rolls his head, and thinks for several minutes before speaking again.

There are myths that my people are descendants of some sacred animal. Perhaps he calls that animal Apis.

Amun, I am not Apis. She may be my ancestor, but I am Samson. Rise.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei watches the scene with interest, but keeps his peace.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

20. - Top - End - #170

SwashbucklerGuy

Amun rises slowly to his knees, the look of wonder still plain on his face. "Then, Samson-Dirat, I will bow to your wisdom and leadership in all matters concerning this holy quest."

Amun gets to his feet and, bowing again to Samson, puts away his old sword. "By your leave, Apis-handi, I will eat quickly."

21. - Top - End - #171

Manar blinks a couple of times. Just what I thought.... this is going to make this whole mess very interesting--or very old very fast. As to the only response I've gotten... he's right, I did ask for conjecture. And some of those sound a lot more interesting than what I was coming up with. More amusing, too. Should I say something... nah, i think I'm just going to let this finish playing out. For now.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon chuckled a little more, then said, "I've got a feeling this is going to be one of the more intriguing experiences in my life. Its quite a collection we've got here."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:31 PM.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

23. - Top - End - #173

Samson

What if it isn't a threat from evil, but a threat that seems to be splitting the ranks of good? A threat from evil, even an extraordinary one, typically does not require this sort of meeting. But what if the source of the trouble was within an order of paladins? Then you would need a mixed council to investigate.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon shook his head, "I don't really think it's worth speculating. We'll know when we know," he smiled and continued, "But I think the more appropriate question to ask is why us? Why this group? What makes us special that we were chosen from across the world? I mean it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a paladin from Maztica or Kara-Tur show up next."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

"The one presupposes the other. If we know or can guess why we are needed, we might perforce discover what needs to be done. It might indeed be another order in trouble - yet, why would they not be able to deal with the matter themselves? I know for certain that for my own order to ask for external help in dealing with an internal conflict would be.... most unusual." He takes another bite of food, chewing as he thinks, and swallows. "If we were lazy bards, we might chalk this up to our destinies; that some fabled prophecy chose us in specific - realistically, that seems an unlikely proposition. Perhaps there are so many orders because we crusade to an area unfamiliar with the goodly gods? Or that all of us act as ambassadors to a nation with gods newly discovered? That might explain the specific presence of a Mulhorandi, at any rate - familiarity with the procedure."
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 05:08 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I cannot say what is more likely. I find it best not to speculate on the will of the gods...they tend to make themselves known when and in the manner in which they wish."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

27. - Top - End - #177

There's so much that can be learned if you ask the right questions. Especially when the conjecture gets fast and furious.

Manar grins at Aleksei. "Granted that, but they work in subtle ways; what's to say one of the gods isn't waiting for a conversation like this as an opportunity to make His or Her will known? They help those who help themselves, my mentor always told me. And these are fascinating possibilities. If it's an ambassadorial mission, it certainly explains why one of the Orders represented is mine, since our job is as much to talk evil around as to fight it.... okay, maybe to talk evil around after fighting it. Destiny it may not be, but we know there's a divine hand in it somewhere, just from what we are... and I know my summons got to me with what a layman would consider unnervingly perfect timing." She thinks for a moment. "Do any of you have types of assignments your Orders tend to prefer sending you on? Things you're suited to?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei laughs, and indicates the sword that hangs at his side. "A soldier I was once, Dame Manar, and a warrior I remain. The Zenith Order sends me around to protect with force that which requires it-be it a village, a magistrate, or a great weapon against the darkness."

He thinks for a moment, then continues. "The gods may indeed send their messages quietly, but Tyr has always shown me my duty clearly when He has a purpose specifically for me. The call for me to come here was about as subtle as a sergeant's wakeup call, and with much the same effect."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

29. - Top - End - #179

I will always be sent if there's any trouble with a giant. I speak the language, and the giants don't look down on me so much.

He smiles in amusement at his own humor.

Other than that, I have been called to the occasional diplomatic meeting. A few times I've felt my presence was more to discourage anyone from commiting evil rather than to actually combat it.

Direct messages from Tyr have come to me rather infrequently. I agree that you have to look for your god's will in the world.

How about you, Amun? What do you do in your homelands?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"I'm good at finding things, whether its new places, people trying to flee justice, or important items that have been lost or stolen," he said as he pulled out a pipe and started filling it, "You speak giantish hey? I've been meaning to pick that one up, never know when it'll come in handy. I've never had to deal with them yet, though thankfully."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:32 PM.