New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: A Paladin's Heart

Malfrin

Malfrin seems to take a special delight in each of the stories.

Wrestling giants. Cannibal plainsmen. Wow. The world is a much bigger place than it seemed in Suzail.

Hey -

His eyes flash, and he folds back his ragged bangs with a slender hand. He turns to Rayvon.

You said that you were travelling from Mulhorand. Any chance that the two of you have met before?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon looked over at Amun as Malfrin asked his question. "Maybe, I doubt it though. It was twenty years ago. Twenty years changes people, especially humans. And I didn't stay much longer than learning the language," he smiled as he remembered. "A very different place. Haven't been anyplace quite like it."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:43 PM.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Owyn nodded, leaning his elbows on the table as he finished eating. "Seeing the world is one of the advantages of being a knight-errant; Lady and I have seen more trail dust than I care to remember but it's always interesting to see someplace new. As I see it, the gods wouldn't have given us mounts if we weren't meant to ride them, yes?"
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 05:18 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

4. - Top - End - #214

I don't ride much. When I had to learn, I would ride an elephant, but I never really took to it. And lucky for me, hooves don't get sore.

But I haven't seen much of the world. Not surprising, I guess. The mountains make a good home, and there are plenty of challenges there. My Order tends to act locally, in the Graypeak mountains. Clean air, clean water, and clean living.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei nods. "The mountains are a good place to live, most of the time."

He turns to Manar, and gives an encouraging smile. ";Dame Manar, tell us a tale of yourself and your homeland! I dare say you owe us a story after listening to ours, eh?";

Quite a diverse group here...for what purpose have you called me to join them, Tyr? I live to serve, but occasionally I like to know why I'm abroad...
    Last edited by Ryshan Ynrith; 2006-10-27 at 12:27 PM.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

6. - Top - End - #216

"Well, let me see.... most've what I've been doing has been trying to talk people around under my mentor Florian's watch, but.... there was a time, a while back, when we came to a village. We'd heard something about kobold issues--it's always kobolds around there, but it sounded like they were getting worse. First thing that happened when we rode into town, frantic lady--the baker, if I remember correctly--runs screaming up to us yelling 'Kobolds took my baby!'. Florian calmed her down, I went to find a witness who wasn't half-panicky, what we pieced together was that there'd been a kobold raid not long before, and that her daughter Chumani'd been playing near the edge of town and been swept up in it. So of course, we went to go do something about it--brought half the town militia, of course, but it was pretty much agreed we had to get Chumi out first. It was an interesting little sortie, let's put it that way. Florian got us past all the little traps on the way, then told me that he was going to provide a distraction, and I needed to slip in and get the girl to safety, and then we'd do something about the kobold menace. Florian enjoys his diversions--I'm not entirely sure what he did, except that it was bright and flashy and involved a lot of fireworks. And meanwhile, I was slipping closer and closer--unfortunately, lightfooting it's not entirely my strong suit. Florian taught me enough that I know technique, but it was still a close, close thing. They went boiling out to see what the fuss was, leaving two or three of their number to guard the child; nearly tripped over me on the way out, I'm still thanking Lathander they weren't a couple feet more to the right. So I wait for the main group to pass, get there, leap out, run straight for where they're keeping the girl, find one of the tripwires the hard way..."

She pauses a moment, partly for dramatic effect, partly to brush a chunk of hair out of her face, then continues, "So there I was, flat on my face, with a trio of confused kobolds trying to figure out where the heck I'd come from. Not the world's most dignified way to make a heroic entrance, that's for sure. While I was trying to get my foot loose from that wire, one of them finally got up the wits to ask 'What the heck are you?!'" During the last, she adjusts her posture to be more, well, koboldy, and injects a little bit of yip into her voice. "Fortunately for me, I spoke the language. So I told him--I think it was a him--that I was there to warn him of a great danger. 'Why would a Big One like you warn me of anything?' he asked, and I, having just got the silly wire off, picked myself up, started moving around them as subtly as I could, and told him the truth, only a little modified--that the villagers were angry and had come to take their revenge, that my mentor, a warrior of the light whose skills far outstripped my own, was leading them.... but that I had come ahead, because I was merciful like that--or stupid like that, in their dialect stupid and merciful are pretty much synonymous--and that if they were to embrace the light and stop preying on the weak, not only would my mentor not fall upon them with the wrath of a shaman whose cauldron had been upended--gotta love kobold idiom, huh?--but that there would be justice, harmony, plenty of food and shinies for all, and the wonderful feeling people get from working together. Quoted chapter and verse, with personal anecdotal examples, and put the utmost of my heart into it."

Another pause; she takes a long sip of cider and looks at the assembled paladins and adopts, for a moment, a grander intonation. "And they heard my words, and the sun came from behind the clouds, and their hearts were cleansed by the Light.... okay, maybe not. I wish it'd been that way. It would've made my last few arguments with that Pelorite prelate back home a ton easier, let me tell you. No, they heard my words, paused for a moment, thought it over, then turned around and as one told me 'Naah.' But by that time I was close enough to Chumani to go to my backup plan: pull the poor kid up onto my back, get around their cookpot, kick it over to slow 'em down, and run somewhere a little more defensible. Not that I got too far; I found a little rocky corner with a ledge just barely in my reach, and they were right behind me, so I set Chumi up there--three cheers for being tall--drew my sword, and prepared to do battle. And we fought, and we fought, all the while me trying to convince them that I didn't want to fight them and that there really was a better way to live than eating random villagers--I think I might almost have convinced one of them, but it's hard to say. Long story short, eventually I managed to defeat them, and I finally got to tend to poor Chumi--girl'd been scared out of her mind. Took care of her scrapes from the scuffle, worked my way around the main fight as Florian'd told me to--not that he'd've needed the help, really... met everyone back that the village, after they'd dealt with the rest of the problem. We stayed in the village that night, and left the next day to figure out where the warband had come from--that was a long story, involved us getting a bunch of help, but what I mostly remember was being met on the road out of town by little Chumani. She gave me "Something for luck", as she called it--a little rag doll on a string, I think it was supposed to be me but it's hard to tell. I still carry it; 's a bit dirty, but that's to be expected; it's been a good half year, after all." Manar half-smiles wistfully. "I think when all this is over, I might go back there for a little while. See how everyone's doing. They're awfully nice people, and I promised Chumi sometime I'd come back and let her show me a "special spot" on the river. Something about all that..."
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

7. - Top - End - #217

You all have such incredible tales and fascinating stories. I feel I could sit and listen to you for a long time.

Samson turns to the busily eating Amun.

Tell me, Amun, what of you? Let us hear something of your past.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun starts, a bit surprised to have been addressed, but answers quickly, with a deferential nod. "May it please Samson-Dirat, I have served as Osir Dirat for six years. Before my calling I was a priest of Osiris. I studied in the temple, and served comfort to the dying. Then I spent almost three years wandering the battlefields of the godless hordes of Unther, administering last rites to the fallen. The valiant Rayvon has already spoken of what one may find there.

It was upon those fields that I found Ashen-Dediroh and my purpose."
    Amun displays his sword, the awe and wonder in his eyes belying the old, stained and pitted weapon. Replacing the blade in its scabard, he continued, "It was then that I slew my first sylmach, two vile creatures that fed upon the bodies of the fallen. In the years since, I have wandered from Unther to Thay, seeking out and destroying the undead, the glory be to Osiris."
    Last edited by Glikker; 2006-10-28 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Reformatting for new forums.

9. - Top - End - #219

Samson nods approvingly, and puts his hand on Amun's shoulder, gripping him and shaking his shoulder a little.

You do your work well, Sir Amun. It is good to work for the glory of the powers.

Samson stands, and looks over the others.

Perhaps it is just us in the mountains, but I find the outdoors to be a much better place for discussion than this closed space. Lady Manar showed me a trail that leads into the hills. Shall we walk there?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

A walk sounds great to me, Sir Sampson. We sit around a few more minutes, and Owyn will have me back drilling again.

Catching his mentor's eye, he very quickly amends.

Not that I don't need it, because-the-quest-for-personal-excellence-is-the-paladin's-best-way-to-reflect-a-desire-for-excellence-in-the-world.

Standing up a bit stiffly, he stretches a bit.

I've spent a lot of the past few months outside, and I'm starting to like the smells. And a lot of places are awfully beautiful. But give me four walls and a warm fire, and that's the best outdoors still.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #221

Owyn raised an arch eyebrow at Malfrin. "If you're so fond of the outdoors, I can introduce you to a concept called 'hiking with full kit.' It's about time you learned how, anyways; it's a crucial part of any military campaign. Today we'll scout a good route; tomorrow we'll get you used to the pack. If we're still here the day after, we'll go running with the packs on; being able to run distances carrying 6 stone of ballast may save your life some day." From his tone, it was clear that Owyn was not joking in the slightest, and would probably be carrying more weight than Malfrin. "Torm grants us powers of healing, but a good knight plans for every contingency, including the one where you strap your friend with a broken leg to your back, dump everything except for water and medicine, and trek 3 days through swamp on an empty stomach while dodging lizardfolk ambushes."

Owyn pulled aside the collar of his tunic, showing a small star-shaped wound. "Luckily, the spear wound didn't start going septic until the third day; I had used my ability to negate disease on my companion, whose wounds had taken swamp water. Eight years later, Sir Derrick kept eight priests of Talos from summoning a typhoon that would have killed upwards of a hundred thousand people, easily. To never abandon an injured comrade is one of the highest points of Duty, something which you would do well to remember."

It wasn't a rebuke, quite. Just a reminder of the seriousness of what Owyn was trying to teach, coupled with an object lesson to drive the point home. Hopefully, Malfrin would be able to visualize himself carrying one of his companions across these woods - well, maybe not Samson.
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 05:21 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

Catching at least a bit of Owyn's gravity, Malfrin is briefly silenced. At length, he nods. He speaks with an unfamiliar solemnity.

It will be an honour, sir to hike with you. And with any others who wish to join us.

A small smile creeps into his demeanour.

And at this time, sir, I would like to volunteer to carry Sir Rayvon, should circumstances require it.

13. - Top - End - #223

Manar chuckles at Malfrin's comment, then turns to Owyn. "I take it that means you're going to want to swing by the guests' wing first?"

....I wonder... is this something I should be doing as well?
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei grins. "A loaded march will do me good. I would be glad to join you."

Aleksei stands and bows. "An honor to meet all of you...Herald Owyn, I shall prepare myself for the march. Shall we meet in the courtyard?"
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

15. - Top - End - #225

Samson smiles, baring his teeth.

I shall carry my gear on the way out. But perhaps Sir Owyn will be kind enough to demonstrate for his squire by carrying me back.

Samson laughs deeply, before he stands, and then leaves. If Manar happens to be immediately behind him, he will get the door for her.

Samson quickly moves through the building to his quarters. He prepares himself for the trek, and then carries his gear to the back of the cathedral, where the path that he and Manar had explored.

16. - Top - End - #226

Owyn nods at Manar. "I could probably make my way back alone, but the honor of your company would be a pleasure. Actually.... do you have a spare backpack I might borrow? The one I use has a dwoemer on it to negate the weight of what it carries, which would defeat the purpose of the practice. I had planned to scout out a likely route to hike today and bring the kits tomorrow; but if you have one in mind then we can eschew wasting time."
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 05:21 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The smile on Rayvon's face disappeared, This is beginning to sound suspiciously like work. His smile returned quickly, "I'll go find Buddy. I'd hate to ruin your exercise by slowing you all down with my short legs."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:46 PM.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

18. - Top - End - #228

....oh, am I in for it now.... at least he gave me something I can rightly use...

"Well, to be perfectly honest.... I have the same sort of backpack. Florian insisted I pick one up, because he got sick of me underpacking everything and hoped that not having to worry too much about how heavy it was would ensure that I brought what I needed." Manar chuckles wryly. "Suffice it to say it still has yet to work."

19. - Top - End - #229

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

"I would gladly attend this venture, but I have not brought much pack. I can offer only my company. But I would very much like to see more of this land."
    Last edited by Glikker; 2006-10-28 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Reformatting for new forums.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

Well, a very wise man once taught me -

He shoots Owyn the smallest of grins.

That there is an important distinction between being ready for trouble and seeking it out. Perhaps the gods will be satisfied with a brisk walk this day, even if we're not bent under full packs, so long as we remain vigilant?

Amun, I'm fairly new here too, but would be happy to try to explain some of our odd customs...

Malfrin matches stride with the Mulhorandi, marvelling at the smoothness and assurance of the stranger's gait.

21. - Top - End - #231

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun grins at the young man's offer, "Thank you Malfrin-Sha'ten. I look forward to your instruction.

"My first curiosity is why you do not cover your head in the presence of women? That is considered very rude in my land."
    Amun accents the question by touching is own headdress.
    Last edited by Glikker; 2006-10-28 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Reformatting for new forums.

22. - Top - End - #232

Owyn, overhearing, shrugs at Amun. "As to why we have the custom, I couldn't say, but often it is actually considered impolite to cover one's head in the presence of a lady - though exceptions are made, of course, for those with religious observances. It also varies from country to country, and on the respective social statuses of those involved. A noble does not have to doff his hat to a scullery maid, though it behooves him well to do so and is typically considered an honorable gesture; whereas were a noblewoman to walk into an average bar in this town, it's likely that every man jack among the patrons would stand and doff his hat to her before putting it back on and sitting back down." As he finished his sentence, they came to a junction in the hallway; Owyn turned away from the living quarters and headed for the stables. "If it's a pleasant walk we're after, I'm sure Lady would love the chance to walk with us and listen in. I let her out into the pastures this morning, but like me, she's not overly fond of being cooped up anywhere. Not that she couldn't just jump the fence, but... in any case, she would kill me if she found out I let her miss out on a chance to gossip."
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 05:22 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon left the assembled group to find Buddy. He was found being chased around a courtyard by a group of children. Rayvon smiled as he approached and whistled once. Buddy trotted over and licked Rayvon's face, and promptly knocked him down gently. "Sorry kids, I'm going to have to borrow Buddy here for a while," he watched as the look of disappointment crossed their collective faces. Rayvon chuckled and placed a bag on the ground and several toys spill out, "Here you go, you can play with these until I bring him back." He looked over the children one last time and grinned widely before hopping on Buddy and riding to find his companions.
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

Samson

Samson waited and watched as his companions assembled. They had seemed equally at home in the mess hall and in the training room. But a good mountain stroll was always an excellent way to measure a man.

As the group gathered, Samson found himself studying the smaller paladins, reacting to them in much the same way as he figured they reacted to him.

Once everyone arrived, Samson decided to speak first.

Well, yesterday Lady Manar and I strolled this path. I can tell you that there is an easy trail and a more difficult trail we could choose to walk, leading us into these mountains. I would suggest taking the difficult road out, and coming back along the easier path. What do you think?

25. - Top - End - #235

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun steps up to the large paladin, "I will follow your experience in this, Samson-Dirat." Amun moves the sword hanging at his waist onto his back where he also has placed a crossbow retrieved from his quarters.
    Last edited by Glikker; 2007-01-10 at 01:44 PM. Reason: punctuation consistency.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei returns, bearing armor and a full pack. His gear has been completely cleaned since he arrived, and he looks parade-ready.

"Ah, good. Are we prepared?"

Ah, a good march through hill-country NOT swarming with foes. This should be quite pleasant.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

27. - Top - End - #237

"I'm ready when everyone else is," Manar declares, leaning on the wall with a haversack slung loosely over one shoulder. "And yeah, looping the trail in that order sounds good."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

Shouldering his own pack, suppressing a grunt, Malfrin nods.

Yup, all set.

Oh, boy. Hill country. Steep climbs and treacherous descents. Well, it's a chance to see how well Owyn's drilling's paid off.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Buddy barked twice as he and Rayvon walked towards the group. Buddy has been saddled and looked ready to go, "Hello everyone! This is Buddy for everyone that hasn't met him. He says hi. Are we ready then?" Rayvon asked as he climbed onto Buddy's back. He looked Malfrin's pack and shuddered.

30. - Top - End - #240

Indeed we are.

Samson picks up his pack, and is still wearing his armor, and begins to stride towards the mountains, an ease about his walk.

So, Malfrin, what sorts of drills does Owyn train you with? You were a most capable ally yesterday.