New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Evil Dead - Versus the World [CONTENT WARNING]

There is in fact, a loud metal-on-skull ping after Skunk dashes towards the guard. However, Skunk knows that it was a sloppy blow, not doing more than leaving a welt. On the bright side, Skunk has the guard's full attention, giving Jeff a small fragment of relief.

The guard's head tilts to one side and turns towards Skunk. The tiny tongue flickers between the teeth once more before the monster leaps backwards quite far, landing on the wall. ON the wall, clinging with its hands and boots, apparently. A moment later, it skitters out of the flashlight's beam and can only be heard clinking its claws across metal piping coming from above.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff
    "Okay, on any day other than today, that would have been the weirdest thing I'd ever seen," Jeff mumbles to himself.

Frantically, Jeff tries to locate the thing with the small bean from the flashlight. As long as everyone could see it, they had a chance-
    Yeah, right. And my guys are japanese jet pilots...

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

Jack manages to get himself standing again, leaning back against the wall for support, breathing deeply to the control the pain searing through him like lines of white-hot fire.. he bites his lip, scanning the ceiling, looking for the monster, clutching the Ruger and knowing he's down to his last bullet...

4. - Top - End - #514

As Jeff scans the ceiling, his heart races even faster wondering if it would be a good idea to shine a light on the thing or not. It could be a trigger to attack... Whether fortune is on Jeff's side or not, he does not find the guard clinging above them, as there is too much echo to pinpoint the exact location.

5. - Top - End - #515

Skunk

Still rather frantic, Skunk hardly stops dodging about swinging his baton this way and that, occasionally whacking a shelf or box.

In his mini-frenzy, he says to Jeff, "Shine the light on the floor, I want my ****ing gun!" And with that he returns to his earlier position, anticipating Jeff's willingness to do as requested.

"It can't be that far from here, I only dropped the damn thing!" He's becoming increasingly wound up, still swinging and jabbing the baton above and around his head like a bizarro version of a Bruce Lee with nunchaku warmup maneuver. One can only surmise he thinks that spastic dance will somehow keep the horror-show guard at bay.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure who gets to/needs to roll for this one, so I'll roll a spot check for the gun. Also, am I right to presume that my penlight switched off when it dropped? Otherwise, an 18 spot check seems inordinately high to see a beam of light. :)

Okay, Skunky spot check to find wayward MAS M50 (1d20+2=9). Yes, well, hmm....I hope it's supposed to be Jeff. :)

6. - Top - End - #516
    Halfling in the Playground

Tom

Tom stands bewildered, one minute he was more than ready to charge into the beast, the next the very same beast is crawling around on the ceiling. For a few blissful seconds Tom thought that it had ran off. It then dawned on him, his brain kicked into gear by the worried actions of those around him, that the beast is probably not hiding to avoid them, but is hiding to plan its actions.

Now fully aware that it could drop down at any second, Tom gives a quick glance around in hope of finding his lost gun. In the poor lightning he doubts very much that he will actually find it. Instead he readies himself to rely on his fists to see him through this one; a quick crack of his knuckles and flex of his shoulders before dropping into a wary stance.

Avatar made and used with permission of Ink.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dwarf in the Playground

Come on Jane...get a grip! First things first, get a weapon and look menacing...

I can't make out anything in this place.

Wait a minute...

A flash catches her eye. An errant beam of light reflects upon a lenght of chained metal. It's lucky that this place is still new; the inevitable dust has not yet settled into the warehouse, neither has the rust.

Jane heads towards what she hopes is a little piece of personal protection and makes a grab for it.
    Last edited by Twilight; 2007-03-26 at 12:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #518

Skunk

Skunk drops to his knees, ceasing his warped immitation of a bad baton-twirler, and focuses--in a manner of speaking--on the task of recovering his gun.

Leaning forward and sweeping his hands across the floor in the area where the gun and penlight should have fallen that common sub-entry in the Murphy's Law draft, 2b subsection 4 or thereabouts says, in layman's terms: When an item drops to the floor, ground or other flat surface, regardless of distance fallen or shape of said object, said object will have a very high likelihood of bouncing, rolling, flipping or otherwise maneuvering itself into one of two positions: an impossible one, and an unlikely one. Hence, said item will, more often than not, depending on the flux of the law at the moment of droppage, be incredibly difficult to find despite all normal logic.

Of course, that sort of thought process occurs far beneath his consciousness and is left as more of an addendum to his normal waking paranoia. But he tries to defy chance, anyway, and squints into the near pitch darkness out of reflex more than practicality....

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks:
    Penlight - (1d20+2)[15] vs DC14 (18-4 for active check)
    Gun - (1d20+2)[4] vs DC18 (22-4 for active check)

Okay, so I found the Penlight, but the Gun is hiding quite well. Please let me know if the penlight is going to work when I try to switch it on during my next move (presumably).

9. - Top - End - #519
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

With the mix of command, terror, and desperation in Skunk's voice, Jeff reacts instinctively, sweeping the small area of light over to where the punker is.

Then he gets ahold of himself.

"Dude, are you serious? That thing is running around the walls and the roof and you want me to stand here and watch you look for something? Spoon that."

Jeff stops to listen for the guard's movements- there's no way it can be that quiet, and he sweeps the flashlight's beam over any possible noise.

If that doesn't yeild any results, Jeff is going to check on Jane and Tom, the two people in the group he actually likes.

10. - Top - End - #520

Skunk's fingers flow over the hard encasing that is his penlight. He quickly double checks to make sure it works before enacting his next insane plan. It shines as bright and true as a penlight can, giving him a warm feeling all over, as if now holding some great power he had lost to the ages.

Jeff, on the other hand, shines his light across the ceiling, pointing it at any and every sound he hears. However, as fate would have it, every time he points at something, it turns up empty. After several moments of this, Jeff grows frustrated and steps towards Jane and Tom. He sees them both armed, and just as freaked out. Not really the best of signs...

11. - Top - End - #521

Tom

Tom's eyes never stop searching around, constantly darting towards every possible direction. This kind of fighting is not what hes used to; one on one, enclosed arenas, visible enemies. Not one of these factors where in this fight. His eyes stop searching as Jeff steps over, just as frustrated and scared as him.

"Hey" he says, a half smile curling his upper lip, despite the situation. "I don't know about you, but I wanna get out of 'ere as soon as, can't see no reasonin' to hang around waiting for it to leap down on us.." He starts to look for an exit while still talking to Jeff, although he raises his voice higher so others can hear. "We need an exit, now. You see any?..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Search for exit - (1d20+1)[20]

Last edited by GazMania; 2007-03-28 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Spelling... Ack!

12. - Top - End - #522

Skunk

Skunk barely even hears Jeff's refusal as he delights in some strange, inbred way when he finally locates his penlight. A light of his very own. He didn't need Jeff, or his flashlight, he had his own means of finding his gun, and when he did....

He begins flashing the light around, holding it low the floor so as to cast the longest length of light possible across it. He needed just enough to see the shape; it didn't need to grow flashing neon-lights and offer him sex and pretzels--it just needed to be there, dammit...

And like a ray of bright sunshine from the heavens, the brushed blue-steel of the muzzle was there, winking at him as it hid coyly just beneath the lowest shelf of a metal floor rack. It smiled and beckoned to him, and Skunk lusted after it, reaching out and snatching it back home.

"Mine, dammit! Now ya better hide ya freak! I'll blow yer friggin' smiley face right off yer friggin' head!" He screeched into the now slightly less-consuming darkness around him, confident that a gun in hand would be the equalizing factor. Nevermind he couldn't see anything to shoot at. Well, other than those people he came in with.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, rolled another spot check for the gun. Didn't know the new DC with the aid of the penlight, but I got an 18, and since I needed an 18 last time without the light, I assumed it was good enough this time.

Spot check for Gun - (1d20+2)[18] vs DC??

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

Jack leans his back against the wall, his breathing steady now, his eyes full of a deadly calm. The eye of the storm, as it were. His teeth gritted against the pain, he continues to scan the ceiling for the creature, ready to lose his final round at the hideous abomination.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane grabs a hold of what turns out to be a lenght of chain. It makes a heavy noise as she lifts it. She wonders about exactly what to do with it but nevertheless keeps it in hand and at the ready. She swings the links tentatively before going back to scanning for the creature that the guard has become. She files Skunk's odd outburst away for later pondering...right now, right now the adrenaline sings though her veins in a way it never has before...

15. - Top - End - #525

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the absence folks. I was waiting for something, but now I'm not sure what. I'll just speed things along

As the heroes ready themselves, grabbing at what little objects and sanity they have, more clinking is heard above. Jeff's light shines above to the rafters, not seeing anything at first. Tom, Jack, and Jane all scan the lit area for something to attack, or rather to come tumbling down on top of them. Skunk, on the other hand, is much more occupied fishing his gun out from under a nearby shelf. The cold steel in his hands is more than enough to give him some calm, as he too now looks across the ceiling for the wanted foe.

The only sounds now are heavy breathing, the clinking of chain from Jane's hands, and then a loud gurgle that sends a panic through everyone. It is assumed to be Ed, as it comes from very close by on the ground. Jeff's light is a constant vigil, searching the cieling until he finally sees the guard. Well, what is in the light is what is left of the guard, anyways. For what is now shown in the light is a grotesque shell of a man, humanoid only in that it has a head and four limbs attached to a central body. The head is now elongated to a horizontal point, and devoid of hair. The skin of the entire body is now pale white with large red circles around the already red orbs for eyes. The monster's lips are a thin red thin surrounding the massive maw of teeth. The limbs are also elongated, at least six feet long each, with the ends narrowing off into sharp points instead of hands and feet. The legs are now reverse hinged, making it appear like a perverse spider. The bottom of the pants are shredded as if they had be torn apart by something much large going through them.

The creature glares down at you all as your reactions kick in, firing your weapons with destruction set in your own eyes. As the bullets fly through the air, the creature begins its decent with ease, as the
    points of the arms and legs tuck inward slightly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, for future reference I'll bold whomever's turn it is in the end of my posts, if that person hasn't already posted an action.
    Jeff (higher dex)
    Tom
    Jack (higher dex)
    Jane
    Skunk
    Creepy Guard (considered in mid air until his turn)

Also, many of you were holding actions; Jack, and Tom for sure with their guns. I will let Skunk fire as well, considering he's crazy and had a gun finally. If Jeff has something to do more than yell, go for it. Jane, same for you; if you wanna throw the chain or some such standard action, be my guest. When everyone finishes, we'll head to the top of the round with Jeff.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

Jack takes aim with a cool, deliberate air, still bleeding but now supporting himself. He grits his teeth as he stares the creature down, in the eye of the hurricane, feeling that old familiar adrenaline rush of combat. His face is almost frighteningly blank as he squeezes the trigger, sending his last round towards the beast

Spoiler
    Show

Last Bullet - (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage - (2d6)[5]

17. - Top - End - #527
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff
    Jeff keeps the light on the beast, backing slowly away from the horribe spider-monstrosity... thing that the guard had become. Jeff backs slowly over to Ed, laying gurgling on the floor, as the other take aim and fire at the evil thing.

18. - Top - End - #528

Skunk

Gun finally in hand, the local punker points quickly where Jeff's light has illuminated their current nightmare. Still a bit rattled, the thin red beam of the laser sight traces an irregular spirograph pattern across the creature's otherworldly form as the shot rings out.

The report overpowers all other sounds and the muzzle flash illuminates the shooter's face for an instant, and in that instant, he--theoretically--could be seen mouthing the word, "Dime..." or something similar.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, let's see if this thing works as advertised (I know I don't).

MAS M50 Pistol shot 2d6 at Freak Du Jour: (1d20+5)[20] inc +1 circ bonus for laser sight for (2d6)[7]

19. - Top - End - #529
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane remains at the ready as her mind races, seeking ways in which she might use her new weapon.

"..."

Words escape her when faced with the horror that was the guard.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff
    Jeff moves toward the injured man, Ed, keeping an eye on the spider-thing that the guard has become. With his flashlight held as steady as his slightly trembling hands can manage, he glances down at Ed, fearing the worst.

Ed is pale, almost completely white from loss of blood. Jeff's heart catches in his throat. Tucked into Ed's waistband is a gun.
    A gun.

Jeff's mind flashes back to earlier this evening, right after everything had gone crazy, and everyone had been in that house. Ed... Melissa... Erica... Barbara... even that kid with the ipod who had never even woken up before the house exploded.

So many people dead. Good people, who didn't deserve to die.

Jeff feels odd- as if there is too much static in the room. His hackles rise, his hair standing on end. He feels his face start to draw back, exposing his teeth in an angry snarl. His features become feral and hardened, his rage darkening his vision, so that he can only see the guard.

This was the Evil's fault. The thing that had chased them into the house, the evil that had driven the girl and her mother into the darkness, the evil that had driven Skunk to them, the evil that had burned the house and attacked the van. The evil that had killed this guard's friend... and even this guard himself. He hadn't been able to save any of them...

Feral, upset, close to tears, and very VERY pissed off, Jeff grabs that gun from the waistband of his probably dead friend.

"SPOON YOU! THIS IS YOUR SPOONING FAULT!"

He stands, his flashlight held steady as he focuses all his hate and anger on the spider-thing that the guard has become. He raises the gun, without any training or any time spent aiming, he fires twice.
    First Shot: 13
    Second Shot: 14

21. - Top - End - #531

The creature drops as if in slow motion as the guns fire in its direction. Most ricochet off into the darkness, but one lands a hit right through the chest of the guard. Blood sprays down upon the hapless heroes in a rather thick mist. The four points of the monster's legs crunch into the cement floor as it catches itself from the fall.

Jeff's shot flies through the darkness, much as everyone else's shots, though the muzzle fire gives him a nice close look at the monster. Tom backs himself against the broken entry door and squeezes off a round from his gun, clearly missing as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jeff
    Tom
    Jack (your turn)
    Jane
    Skunk
    Creepy Guard

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

Jack snarls and tries to hang back as much as possible from the creature, now that he has no real way to defend himself. He shifts his grip, holding his gun like a club, ready to pistol-whip the creature if it comes close.

23. - Top - End - #533

Skunk

Skunk laughs almost hysterically as his shot finds its mark. He subconsciously ignores every single one of the many synaptic connections telling him that when you shoot something that doesn't go down, it's going to like you even less than before. Instead, he simply cackles in a sort of bizarre glee that seems more befitting his target.

He sidesteps to take some cover behind a nearby obstacle and throws another hunk of lead toward the warped spider-guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    If there's any suitable obstacle around which I can shoot, that'll be my choice of cover, assuming it's not a paper bag or a dixie cup--something reasonable, and assuming it's close enough and doesn't take me out of line of sight or force me to turn my back...y'know, bad stuff like that.

Okay, shooting for another miracle:

MAS M50 Pistol shot #2 - 2d6 at Freak Du Jour: (1d20+5)[21] inc +1 circ bonus for laser sight for (2d6)[8]

24. - Top - End - #534

Skunk backs off a few steps, and bumps into a wall that is, as of yet, unexplored. With a manical glare and a matching laugh, he fires towards the menace before him. Again, his face lights up from the muzzle glow for a moment. He is not sure, but in the darkness, a squelsh is heard, instead of the normal tang of lead on metal.

The spider monstrosity flies through the air in silence, landing hard on the floor. There is a strange sound of metal creaking, as the creature rights itself and stands on its back two legs. The front two, take to the air, whipping about wildly, just out of reach of Tom, Jane and Skunk. For a second, everyone's heart stops, realizing this thing could snuff a life with ease. However, it suddenly cries out and tilts over backwards as blood seeps out of its hew holes. The shriek is hideous and causes a near migraine as it screams and howls, unable to further move.

In fact, as it frantically tries to get back up, pieces of it ooze and melt off, sliding close to Jane, and hitting Jack in the chest. It is a grotesque yellow, and smells worse than the bathroom after a good party. Slowly, the ooze mixes with the blood, turning somehow green, and spreads across the floor, leaving much of it slick and dangerous.

Spoiler
    Show
    We are officially out of combat. I hope you all enjoyed that as much as I did.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane

The blood curdling howl of the appaling creature makes Jane cringe; yet her first coherent thought is a sigh of relief that none of the disgusting glop that exploded outward at the same moment as the sound actually hit her.

She gingerly steps away from the oozy puddle and nervously smooths her hair with her free hand.

"Is...Is it over? I mean... Is It dead?"

26. - Top - End - #536
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff
    Stepping closer, Jeff fires the gun point-blank twice into the creature's chest, making sure it's dead. After firing, he tucks the gun into his waistband, and passes Jack, with the words "Nice shooting man," before nodding in Skunk's direction as well. "Dude, you nailed that thing."

With flashlight in hand, Jeff checks everyone else- Skunk's weirdo sideways mohawk, Tom's troubled look, Jane scared almost stiff, and then finally comes back to Ed. Kneeling by the body of the man, Jeff feels for his pulse.
    (Is Ed still alive?)
    Last edited by Logain; 2007-04-13 at 04:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537

It is easy enough for Jeff to find where Ed's plus is. Rather, where his pulse ought to be. For several moments, Jeff finds nothing, but eventually detects a very faint pulse. Its not very strong, and Ed is quite pale at this point, but he is still alive, hanging on by some kind of extraordinary thread.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

Jack reels for a moment, almost passing out from his wounds and blood loss before looking around... His face grim as he speaks to the others.

All right folks.. I think it's dead... but no rest for the wicked, at least yet. Let's get to the pharmacy and get some antibiotics... penicillin being a favorite, of course, but just something. These wounds look nasty. Also, if they have a drawing agent, like epsom salts, that would be good.. we can probably find a little gas stove to boil some water.. then we should clean and dress all the wounds, probably use a poltice...

oh. And I want somebody keeping watch over me tonight. If it looks like i'm gonna turn into one of these bastards, pop me in the head.

29. - Top - End - #539

Tom

"That thing is dead, right? Like, it 'aint gonna get back up or nothin'? Damn I seen too many films..." Tom steps over to Jeff and Ed and kneels down beside them both, the concern for him clearly visible in the worried expression he wore. "Is he still with us?.." he mutters to Jeff, although he was pretty sure he knew the answer already. If Ed was alive, it was probably in a sense of living not much better than death. He listens to Jack's plan, but does not give any input to it, his lack of medical knowledge or of the layout of this building really limiting his ability to help.

30. - Top - End - #540

Skunk

Twisting to avoid the spew of glop emanating from the creature, Skunk performs a sort of pirouette and sidestep maneuver the Bolshoi might be impressed with. Coming back to a steady footing, his pistol's muzzle immediately reacquires the target, though both remain quiet. More quiet than the wielder, who is emitting faint giggling, chattering sounds that instantly die away as Jeff pops the thing square in the head, for good measure.

"Ooh, good thinking. I'm not gonna be one of those idiots that let's the monster do a Jason on me." As he describes a slasher-movie cliche, he pops the magazine from his pistol and after fishing a couple of extra bullets from a pocket within his leather jacket, refills and reseats it. Though the offending creature is now out of the equation, Skunk's pistol remains in hand.

"Hey Jack, that's a good idea, yeah, but we gotta remember that there's supposed to be a lot of paranoid people in the store and they think they've locked a monster in here. I mean, assuming none of us still buy this freakazoid's version of things." He let the image linger in the air; one of being overrun by dozens of hysterical people, many or most probably armed with weapons they'll want to use in the first nanosecond they see us emerge.